Starz's AMERICAN GODS (Returns March 10, 2019)

Starz? In b4 a ton of out of place homosexuality.

Interesting concept, though. I think it will be visually stunning with Brian Fuller. Will watch.

i rather enjoyed the book, but if you asked me to pinpoint why, i would have trouble answering. don't remember the gay scene, but i can't wait to see it.

i rather enjoyed the book, but if you asked me to pinpoint why, i would have trouble answering. don't remember the gay scene, but i can't wait to see it.
I have to be in the right mood for Gaiman (no homo). He's the only writer I can remember reading whose prose is oddly ambiguous. Rarely I will totally get the atmosphere he's trying to convey, but rereading the same passages at later times I will totally miss it and be bored.

I like his short story in ANGELS AND VISITATIONS about the gumshoe angel.

Update: January 28, 2016

Starz's AMERICAN GODS Finds Its Lead in Ricky Whittle

Ricky-Whittle-American-Gods-Dragonlord.jpg

Starz's long-gestating spin on Neil Gaiman's American Gods is gaining steam, filling one prominent role. The drama has added actor Ricky Whittle, best known for appearing on the CW cult hit The 100, to play the character Shadow Moon.

“I'm thrilled that Ricky has been cast as Shadow," said Gaiman of the casting. "His auditions were remarkable. The process of taking a world out of the pages of a book, and putting it onto the screen has begun. American Gods is, at its heart, a book about immigrants, and it seems perfectly appropriate that Shadow will, like so much else, be coming to America. I'm delighted Ricky will get to embody Shadow. Now the fun starts.”

Described in the book as a recently-paroled convict, Shadow becomes the reluctant bodyguard of a mysterious con-man who goes by "Mr. Wednesday."

Showrunners Bryan Fuller and Michael Green commented, “We searched every continent and country and all the islands in between for our Shadow Moon, and we are lucky to have found Ricky. Fans of the novel will find he has every bit of the heart of the character they fell in love with.”

'American Gods' Adaptation Finds Its Lead in 'The 100' Star Ricky Whittle

wow, surprised by the lukewarm reception for the book.

By far my favourite work by NG.

Hmmmm...
wonder how they'll do the scene with the goddess that.... ahem.... devours the guy in her...... honey pot???

wow, surprised by the lukewarm reception for the book.

By far my favourite work by NG.

It was my first Gaiman and I liked it.
I read more Gene Wolfe, and Gaiman seems to be a big Wolfe fan.... so I gave it a chance and liked it.

Any other Gaiman's you'd recommend??

I read more Gene Wolfe, and Gaiman seems to be a big Wolfe fan.... so I gave it a chance and liked it.

Sandman series is very well done - and the death spin off is great

good omens is phenomenal.

some of his work is a little juvenile but if you're into supernatural and death / ghost type stories - most of his work should suit you.

Sandman series is very well done - and the death spin off is great

good omens is phenomenal.

some of his work is a little juvenile but if you're into supernatural and death / ghost type stories - most of his work should suit you.

Thanks for the info.
How was Ocean at the End of the Lane??

Hmmmm...
wonder how they'll do the scene with the goddess that.... ahem.... devours the guy in her...... honey pot???

its Starz, i wouldnt be surprised if they made it more graphic than the book

Bilquis be swallowing her prey on primetime

its Starz, i wouldnt be surprised if they made it more graphic than the book

Bilquis be swallowing her prey on primetime

Damn shame they got rid of the "like" feature, you'd get one for that.

Bilquis, that's her name. Thanks.

What about the part of the story where the Vikings (???) sacrifice the native American? I think he gets a hard on while they're hanging him and they laugh at him.... if I'm recalling correctly.

i havent read any of his newer stuff past Graveyard, sorry,

No problem, mate.
Have you read any Gene Wolfe?? "Peace" by Wolfe is my favorite.
That's where I first came across Gaiman. He was raving about the book.

No problem, mate.
Have you read any Gene Wolfe?? "Peace" by Wolfe is my favorite.
That's where I first came across Gaiman. He was raving about the book.

Just Soldier of the Mist and i was like 15, i didnt really like it. I have never heard of Peace by him, i will add it to my read list. @Luger gave me a few recommendations of books to read that i am working on...will give Wolfe a shot when i'm done.

oh we did some work for Batman and Judge Dredd, if you're into that sort of stuff. I never read it, but may be worth a shot

Update: March 2, 2016

Ian McShane Cast as Mr. Wednesday in Starz's AMERICAN GODS

Ian-McShane-American-Gods-Dragonlord.jpg

Starz has found its Mr. Wednesday. Deadwood, American Horror Story and upcoming Game of Thrones star Ian McShane has booked the key role in Starz's adaptation of Neil Gaiman's fantasy novel American Gods, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The drama centers on a war brewing between old and new gods: the traditional gods of biblical and mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs. Its protagonist, Shadow Moon (The 100's Ricky Whittle), is an ex-con who becomes bodyguard and traveling partner to Mr. Wednesday, a conman but in reality one of the older gods, on a cross-country mission to gather his forces in preparation for a battle with the new deities.

McShane's Mr. Wednesday is described as powerful and charismatic — a Casanova of sorts — who is a con man and an incarnation of All-Father Odin, who's traveling America recruiting his fellow forgotten deities to wage an epic battle
against the new American gods.

"When you write a beloved character (beloved with, or despite, or because of all his faults) like Mr. Wednesday, you get to watch the Internet trying to cast the role. I've seen a hundred names suggested, but few make me grin like Ian McShane does. I've already been lucky enough to have him in one film (he was bright blue in it, animated, and probably Polish). Now I count myself even luckier: he's made the journey from Lovejoy to American Gods. Yesterday was Super Tuesday. Today is Wonderful Wednesday,” Gaiman said in a statement.

Ian McShane to Star in Neil Gaiman Adaptation of American Gods for Starz,Will Play Mr. Wednesday

Back