Starz's AMERICAN GODS (Returns March 10, 2019)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: June 16, 2015

Starz Picks Up Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS to Series

Starz-American-Gods-0601615-Dragonlord.jpg

Neil Gaiman's American Gods is officially coming to the small screen. Starz has picked up FremantleMedia North America's adaptation of the urban fantasy novel to series, the pay cable network announced Tuesday.

The drama centers on a war brewing between old and new gods: the traditional gods of biblical and mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society's modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs. Its protagonist, Shadow Moon, is an ex-con who becomes bodyguard and traveling partner to Mr. Wednesday, a conman but in reality one of the older gods, on a cross-country mission to gather his forces in preparation for a battle with the new deities. The 2001 award-winning novel has been translated into more than 30 languages.

Bryan Fuller (Hannibal) and Michael Green (The River, Heroes) are on board as writers and showrunners. The duo will also executive produce. The project previously was in development with a different creative team at HBO, which passed on it. Start of production is dependent on casting the lead role of Shadow Moon.

"I am thrilled, scared, delighted, nervous and a ball of glorious anticipation," said Gaiman. "The team that is going to bring the world of American Gods to the screen has been assembled like the master criminals in a caper movie: I'm relieved and confident that my baby is in good hands. Now we finally move to the exciting business that fans have been doing for the last dozen years: casting our Shadow, our Wednesday, our Laura..."

Starz Orders American Gods to Series, Bryan Fuller, Michael Green as Showrunners

Update: June 17, 2015

Bryan Fuller Shares Neil Gaiman-Approved AMERICAN GODS Concept Art

Just yesterday it was reported that not only is Neil Gaiman’s award-winning American Gods being adapted for a Starz series of indeterminate length, but it’s being handled by showrunners Bryan Fuller (Hannibal) and Michael Green (Heroes). And when it comes to simply gorgeous set dressing and luxurious writing, look no further than Fuller’s television work. This property is in good hands. As if to remind people of that fact, Fuller recently tweeted out a few pieces of concept art related to his newest project. Don’t be concerned, they’re Gaiman-approved.

Bryan Fuller Shares AMERICAN GODS Concept Art; Neil Gaiman Approves

I love Neil Gaiman, but this was actually one of my least favourite books from him. It does have a big following though and I'll definitely be watching. I kind of wish they did The Sandman series.

Will this then be strictly Sci-Fi action series, basically Black Sails but with futuristic or modern day weapons? If so then I am on, even if they make the protag an LGBT. Well waddya gonna doa boutit?

I love Neil Gaiman, but this was actually one of my least favourite books from him. It does have a big following though and I'll definitely be watching. I kind of wish they did The Sandman series.

American gods isn't his best, but it is good, and I think it is the easiest to translate the the screen.

I have some questions!

I loved Sandman and found it inspiring.

Is American gods about...is it what it sounds like? Like ancient American God's returning - or, new God's?

American gods isn't his best, but it is good, and I think it is the easiest to translate the the screen.

Yeah imagine them trying to bring Sandman to the screen. That would be a disaster on so many levels and across so many dimensions...

the concept was interesting but the book was a let down.

I love Sandman never read American Gods though. I thought a while back I read some where Sandman is gonna be a three part movie.

I had to read this garbage a few years ago in college. Book was torture.

I love this concept.
Never read any of Neil's novels. I did read a book of his short stories and some of those were really creative.

Will they include the gay genie/taxi scene?

That's the only thing I could think off on why they would turn this into a TV show: GLAAD propaganda.

I never paid much attention to Gaiman's non-picturebooks. I kind of fear this sucking might poison the well for future adaptations...

The fact it's on Starz means there'll be at least two reasons to watch if the story and characters suck, I guess.

did not like the book, not read anything else by gaiman because this kind of put me off him. as a poster said earlier it was a good idea but poorly executed.

came off like a poor mans Stephen King imo (and im not a particularly big fan of King either).

The book was ok when it came out (2001? Has it been that long? Holy shit), but it feels kinda dated by now. And a TV series based off of it? Meh. Besides, I just know they are going to cast Ron Perlman as Wednesday and then the whole thing is going to

suuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Back