Starving the day after training

Matsukaze

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The day after bjj training I can't seem to get enough to eat. Any other bjj'ers have that problem? Today I have already had a 3rd breakfast ( like a hobbit ) and it's only 10am. I can't wait till lunch.

Do you eat after you train? It helps me a lot.

Sedentary people often don't realize this, but eating enough is an issue if you train hard and often. I have to force feed myself past a certain point because if physical stress gets too high I stop being hungry, and wake up feeling like I'm dying. 2000 calories later I'm good to go again.

It happens to me sometimes if I don't eat enough after I train. Also make sure you're drinking enough and getting enough sleep. These can also make you feel like you're hungry.

dehydration sometimes presents as hunger. drink water and replenish your complex carbs.

it also helps to cut back on salt.

dehydration sometimes presents as hunger. drink water and replenish your complex carbs.

This is huge for me. I didn't even know it was a thing until I was into my 30's. Probably 75% of the time that I feel "hungry" between meals I'm actually thirsty and my body is crossing signals with my brain. Drinking a big glass of water instead of snacking has cut back my caloric intake substantially and I've lost probaby 15 lbs without trying at all.

maxresdefault.jpg

Soak Chia seeds and drink the gelatinous mix. I have a bottle I guzzled this morning after my 7am 20 miler. Great Omega, protein and hydration combo.

A doc coach of mine said you need to piss clear. Any coloration is telling you you're not getting enough hydration during camp.

Plus you gotta setup a balanced meal plan if you're going to get through a camp without going bat shit crazy.

Casuals shouldn't have much problem with less than 3hrs a day less than 4 days a week...Unless you eat like shit to start with.

Time to cut out the fast and pre prepped frozen food, learn how to roast a chicken, steam Broccoli, cook red/black beans and make decent Rice and Pasta that doesn't come out like wall Spackle.

U gotta fuel that meat powered skeleton, LOL!

Soak Chia seeds and drink the gelatinous mix. I have a bottle I guzzled this morning after my 7am 20 miler. Great Omega, protein and hydration combo.

A doc coach of mine said you need to piss clear. Any coloration is telling you you're not getting enough hydration during camp.

Plus you gotta setup a balanced meal plan if you're going to get through a camp without going bat shit crazy.

Casuals shouldn't have much problem with less than 3hrs a day less than 4 days a week...Unless you eat like shit to start with.

Time to cut out the fast and pre prepped frozen food, learn how to roast a chicken, steam Broccoli, cook red/black beans and make decent Rice and Pasta that doesn't come out like wall Spackle.

U gotta fuel that meat powered skeleton, LOL!

Is that for fight camps only? Some days I know I don't get enough water, but most of the time I get enough, and normally my piss is clear, but on days where I've absolutely killed it nutritionally my piss is a little yellow, and if I take a multivitamin or 2, my miss is pretty much neon.

the vitamin b complex and vitamin C are water-soluble, so you end up excreting most of a multivitamin. they're not completely worthless but you're kind of literally pissing your money away...

Is that for fight camps only? Some days I know I don't get enough water, but most of the time I get enough, and normally my piss is clear, but on days where I've absolutely killed it nutritionally my piss is a little yellow, and if I take a multivitamin or 2, my miss is pretty much neon.

That sounds okay. Mostly clear is your body draining off access hydration.

Sounds like your gas tank isn't getting the right or enough fuel.

I'm saying building long term nutritional health is going to sustain you through your high output days.

Probably the most important thing is to have enough gas in the tank on a regular basis. I eat huge plates of pasta or rice the night before an 8hr seminar or local tourny(my comp days are done) most of the time I stay low carb and use them to fuel above my baseline output. So in a typical training week 4 days 3+ hrs a day, low glycemic carbs with as much fruit, nuts and veggies as I can eat, plus animal based protein twice in the day. Than ramp up with the rice's and pasta's for that extra quick burn blood sugar in high output days weeks or months.

After you establish that baseline your sensitivity to what you need will become real clear. You'll know that lets say Monday, Wednesday and Friday you'll have that pasta because your training 3+ hrs the next day.

If you put clean fuel in you'll get clean energy out.

It takes in my case 3 months to really balance my system so stick with it cause you'll get weird ass cravings as you cut out the empty carbs and sodium/preservative laden typical "guys" diet.

Back