Starting to grapple for the first time

Mad Dollar

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm gonna start grappling bjj and MMA for the first time next week, I've been kickboxing for a while, and are getting a little tired of getting punched in the face, plus I would really like to also have a decent ground game.
- What are some of the easiest techniques to use offensively and defensively for a beginner?
- Should I buy a gi or only train no gi?
- And where can I find the best and "easiest" video tutorials on the Internet?
Any advise will be greatly appreciated:)!

What are some of the easiest techniques to use offensively and defensively for a beginner?

The basics. I'd recommend to focus on learning how to control your opponent first. The closed guard and the half guard are the most common guards, so I'd focus on not getting submitted while on top of those, then focus on not being swept too easily.
I'd also recommend to learn at least one go-to sweep from bottom half and closed guard.

As for submissions, it's hard to submit someone, if you lose your favorite finishing position ;)

Should I buy a gi or only train no gi?

Depends on your goals. If you want to be an MMA fighter, there's no need to train with the gi. If you can't get enough grappling training nogi, it might be wise to buy a gi.

And where can I find the best and "easiest" video tutorials on the Internet?

I'd recommend to choose a position to work on, then find someone who is close to your size who is good in that particular position and watch his videos on youtube or buy his DVD set

I have a pretty bad flow chart I made for a guy I was training. I felt it was the most high percentage against white belts and not complicated at all. Obviously you have to learn and drill the techniques first but it worked for him. I'm also not qualified to train anyone but he wanted to learn basics before joining a gym.

First I told him to learn how to shrimp and bridge. Small other concepts like keep tight but you have to create space to escape.

Attachments

• flowypng.PNG
    flowypng.PNG
    68.6 KB · Views: 27
I have a pretty bad flow chart I made for a guy I was training. I felt it was the most high percentage against white belts and not complicated at all. Obviously you have to learn and drill the techniques first but it worked for him. I'm also not qualified to train anyone but he wanted to learn basics before joining a gym.

First I told him to learn how to shrimp and bridge. Small other concepts like keep tight but you have to create space to escape.
That's really awesome man. I'm gonna steal that.

That's really awesome man. I'm gonna steal that.

Thanks. The formatting is really poor but it definitely helps visualizing some kind of flow. Mine would be all De La Riva/ Bereimbolo jk.

If you have zero grappling experience I think you should focus on the basics your instructor will show you. A lot of these basic moves are very important and will be needed for as long as you grapple. You will always hip escape, bridge, frame, arm bar, etc.

When I started grappling it was a completely different world than any of the striking I did. It may take you longer to get comfortable than you would think so be prepared for that.

I would not get a gi right away. Do some no gi classes and borrow a gi from the school to see if you enjoy bjj. You may not like it and you will save some money if you stop.

There are a lot of resources online that you can watch. For beginners, I would recommend Stephan Kesting. After you train for a bit Ryan Hall has some great stuff.

Just go and be a sponge.

Don't make it about winning and losing. Get out of that mindset. Just try to learn and you will get better fast.

This is actually pretty good man, I'll use this if you dont mind.

Back