Starting OLY lifts. What to expect?

As an oly noob I can give the following advice thats helped me:

Stretch your ankles, roll out your hip flexors and upper back, and stretch your wrists. Also do shoulder passthroughs with a broomstick. Nothing will fuck you up more than trying to hit a position that your body isn't able to.

Do pause squats. This helps you get used to sitting in the hole, driving out from a dead stop, and further stretches your hips.

Always start with an empty bar and move up in mild increments. You have to prime your body for the movement, and starting with even 95lbs can lead to shitty form.

I also do heavy accessories first and the skill movement last. Like heavy snatch grip push presses and snatch pulls before the actual snatch. Since both movements use heavier weight than I'll be snatching, the snatches feel easier. Plus being tired already keeps me honest about how much I can move with good form.

And? You can improve those on an oly program while you actually learn the lifts. The biggest battle for any beginner (with a strength base or not) is going to be figuring out how the hell to do a snatch. I'd wager to bet someone that starts out straight into oly will be moving more weights oly lifting after a year than someone who takes a few months to get a strength base before jumping into the lifts.

And FWIW, I don't think a strength base helps much at all to be honest. I went into learning the oly lifts after being able to front squat 405 lbs and I've overhead squatted 225 lbs. I'm not even near those #s on clean and jerk or snatch. Technique and efficiency is going to matter most.

I could even see it being a bit counterproductive going into it with a good base of strength. A false sense of security/ability/level sounds like a decent way to get hurt.

anyway...im injuried right now so i cannot do any lifts. Im taking a rest from lifting. Bad tendinitis on my right knee and shoulder started to hurt on the bench press.

Just as a side note, chronic injuries like tendonitis rarely get better with rest beyond the 4-6 week point, so if you've been resting up for that long you will have better progress getting back out there and getting the blood pumping again. I struggled for YEARS with knee and shoulder problems, how is your recovery going?

Just as a side note, chronic injuries like tendonitis rarely get better with rest beyond the 4-6 week point, so if you've been resting up for that long you will have better progress getting back out there and getting the blood pumping again. I struggled for YEARS with knee and shoulder problems, how is your recovery going?

thanks for your intererest,man

Well, my knee got reasonably better after i stopped everything.
Just today im thinking about going to a judo place to roll a bit and get to know the place. Despite that im in "full rest-mode"

my knee seem to be 90% recovered and my shoulder is painless.

Let's sum it up :
-TS hasn't even started BJJ but wants to start oly lifting & BJJ at the same time..
-Asked for posters to "spoon feed" him with a routine/program that he didn't follow but still managed to hurt his knee and shoulder ( while benchpressing )
-Starts a TRT soon while he is probably young (from his requests and the way he posts and wants to achieve "goals" before even starting training ) and his numbers most probably suck. ( his TRT is probably as necessary as Vitor's, aka straight doping )
-Mentions Eric Brown in OP..

Sherdog Gold !

well, french boy, "monsieur", you seem to be also full of the typical sherdog passive-agressive attitude not to say a bit arrogant, huh "monsieur"?

let me answer your topics:

-I have been thinking about it and i should probably start rolling before anything. You may be correct with your irony levels there.

-nobody helped me with a routine when i asked for one. I probably will never do that again, as it seem to be a kind of sin. I hurted myself doing my own routine, under my own responsability. So you are just being a jerk.

-Now you are talking like an idiot. My TRT is necessary because of hipogonadism. Yes, i went to the doctor, yes my test was very low, yes it is a good doctor, yes i need to do it. It is not doping, i need testosterone as any other male. My hipogonadism is due to a psichyatrist medication that i cannot stop taking or i go insane.Believe me, have been there. Does that sound familiar to you? if no, then shut your frenchy mouth.I do not need to go into details about that with you. And i do not "want gains before even started working out" how did you came to this conclusion? I have been lifting for years, and realized i was not progressing right. Just one of the aspects of low testosterone.And yes, sometimes i may sound like im lazy but its because my english is not that good so i cant easily explain everthing and be assertive every fucking time, monsieur.

-Eric brown? fuck that. what are you? some kind of sherdog policeman? you sound like a total idiot now.

I also do heavy accessories first and the skill movement last. Like heavy snatch grip push presses and snatch pulls before the actual snatch. Since both movements use heavier weight than I'll be snatching, the snatches feel easier. Plus being tired already keeps me honest about how much I can move with good form.

This is pretty much the opposite of how the rest of the world trains weightlifting. Fast movements first, strength second, hypertrophy third is generally the order of operations in most gyms around the world.

thanks for your intererest,man

Well, my knee got reasonably better after i stopped everything.
Just today im thinking about going to a judo place to roll a bit and get to know the place. Despite that im in "full rest-mode"

my knee seem to be 90% recovered and my shoulder is painless.

One tip Id offer you with regard to your shoulders. Start doing a shoulder prehab regimen consistently. Work your serratus, lower traps, and rotators a few times a week with pretty light weight and controlled reps. If you wanna know more specifics just holler.

This is pretty much the opposite of how the rest of the world trains weightlifting. Fast movements first, strength second, hypertrophy third is generally the order of operations in most gyms around the world.
I think outside the box. Working so far.

Today was my first day learning how to perform the Olympic lifts and even though I made ton of mistakes, it was a lot fun. lol I must say that the highlight of my first training day was having the bar smacking against the bottom of my chin while pressing the weight over my head. However, I really enjoyed and my only regret was not starting sooner.

I think outside the box. Working so far.

You will hit a brick road soon enough. Focus on the classical lifts first and then worry about accessory lifts when you plateau.

Today was my first day learning how to perform the Olympic lifts and even though I made ton of mistakes, it was a lot fun. lol I must say that the highlight of my first training day was having the bar smacking against the bottom of my chin while pressing the weight over my head. However, I really enjoyed and my only regret was not starting sooner.

It will be fun at first, then it will be challenging, afterwards if you are still at it, will turn into frustration and questioning your existence.

Well, based on my experience so far:

Lots of torn calluses. Tendonitis in knees. Stiff shoulders. Dizziness. Stretching and proper warmup are paramount.

There will be fluctuation of power production throughout the days of the week. On some days, my 90-100% will feel like a walk in a park. On others, I can barely lift my 80%. It can be quite frustrating.

-Now you are talking like an idiot. My TRT is necessary because of hipogonadism. Yes, i went to the doctor, yes my test was very low, yes it is a good doctor, yes i need to do it. It is not doping, i need testosterone as any other male. My hipogonadism is due to a psichyatrist medication that i cannot stop taking or i go insane.Believe me, have been there. Does that sound familiar to you? if no, then shut your frenchy mouth.I do not need to go into details about that with you. And i do not "want gains before even started working out" how did you came to this conclusion? I have been lifting for years, and realized i was not progressing right. Just one of the aspects of low testosterone.And yes, sometimes i may sound like im lazy but its because my english is not that good so i cant easily explain everthing and be assertive every fucking time, monsieur.

Lol wow.

Well, based on my experience so far:

Lots of torn calluses. Tendonitis in knees. Stiff shoulders. Dizziness. Stretching and proper warmup are paramount.

lol this sound exactly the same experience I had with my old ex girlfriend.

Did you also have a love-hate relationship with her?

It wasn't really hate, it was more like I was annoyed by some of her behavior. lol Although ever since my break up (or my great escape) I tend to have more money in my wallet which I'm using for my Olympic lifting lessons. :)

It wasn't really hate, it was more like I was annoyed by some of her behavior. lol Although ever since my break up (or my great escape) I tend to have more money in my wallet which I'm using for my Olympic lifting lessons. :)

Girlfriends will come and go, but a barbell will always be your loyal pal.

You will hit a brick road soon enough. Focus on the classical lifts first and then worry about accessory lifts when you plateau.
Mark Bell likes accessory work as warm up for bench. I've tried it, and it felt weird since I've done it differently forever, but Smelly is pretty knowledgeable, so there is probably something to it.

The way he explained it is injury prevention. It makes the big lifts much harder at lower weights to force an increase in intensity because you are pre-fatigued without crazy heavy weight that may cause an injury. Plus the conditioning factor is pretty different. It may work for some people.

Mark Bell likes accessory work as warm up for bench. I've tried it, and it felt weird since I've done it differently forever, but Smelly is pretty knowledgeable, so there is probably something to it.

The way he explained it is injury prevention. It makes the big lifts much harder at lower weights to force an increase in intensity because you are pre-fatigued without crazy heavy weight that may cause an injury. Plus the conditioning factor is pretty different. It may work for some people.

Absolutely not, Mark Bell is highly knowledgeable in powerlifting not oly lifting. He is familiar with the basics of it but that is the extent of his knowledge. Bench is the singly biggest detriment to ones jerk as it hinder the shoulder mobility and flexibility to perform the lifts efficiently. Being mobile is equally as important as being strong when it comes to olympic style weightlifting.

Just going through the motions with the bar and a long wooden stick is enough to get warmed up importantly is you take your time. Using bands to do dynamic stretches is also useful, stretch too much is not good as it can hinder power development in the classical lifts.

Back