Starting OLY lifts. What to expect?

frango

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hello sherdoggers.

A while ago i asked this question here on the forum and got some answers. At the time, that guy who called himself "Eric Brown" took the lead on the discussion and stated that "if i had good coaches, it was worth trying to learn".

SO.

I have been lifting and im currently recovering from a knee injury.

i have plans for the future.
I intend to start BJJ 3x a week and learn the OLY lifts 2x a week.

I have a good coach teaching near my place and i respect the guy.He is the brother of a Brazilian olimpic lifter and people who i respect said he is reallly that good teatching the snatch and clean and jerk.

He teaches at a Crossfit place that has the option of doing Barbell work only. Called the "barbell club".
I guess the routine would be based on different kinds of squats, presses and deadlifts.And, off course, focusing on being good on the OLY lifts.

Does anyone here know what can i expect of this kind of training? I think i have majors gains to achieve in the squat and deads. I never tried OLY lifts.

So this "barbell club" could be a good strenght plan to follow aside the BJJ practice.Maybe?

The other choice i have is just cheaper and would consist in pure strenght training: squats, bench, deads. maybe rows or pullups or dips.

Is it worth to pay and dedicate myself learning OLYs and having someone to dictate (aka doing my periodization) what lift should i do?

what do you think?

thanks for the inputs.

As long as he isn't making you do 50 snatches for time....

Oly lifting is hard. It requires a ton of accessory work and flexibility. I see people in my gym doing Crossfit WOD's with a 5 minute warmup then 50 snatches for time.

I don't think Oly lifts for hypertrophy/cardio is a good idea.

Just be careful.

hey, thank you for you reply.

i think i will not be doing lots of reps because the "Barbell Club" is not attached to the crossfit agenda.

Its just a program they developed to make people better at the OLY lifts in order to perform better at their WODs.

So, the "Barbell Club" is mainly accessory work and strenght training oriented to make you a good at the OLYs. Off course, they teach the OLY technic too.

I would be running or skipping rope for cardio or just rolling in the mat.

This crossfit place have good equipment, good teachers.And the main goal is to learn OLYs.It is not cheap but i can afford.

On the other hand i have classic strenght training with no coaches. Barbells or bodyweight stuff. No professionals to evaluate me or do my periodization.I would be on my own. But it would be zero coast to me.

Is your joint mobility ready for Olympic weightlifting and do you have a decent foundation of maximal strength?

If so, go learn whatever it is that interests you. I will probably go back O-lifting once I get over all P-lifting. I'm almost at a 3x BW Deadlift and a 2.5x B. Squat.

Weightlifting is fun but difficult. Mobility and absolute strength are a must. If you have an injured knee I wouldn't recommend it.

Frustration

i dont understand you, oblivian

thanks for the tips guys.
For sure i need to work my numbers up if it is a must to have a decent squat and deadlift in order to perform OLYs safely. I think i better do it by myself with the cheap option i have. I like strenght training it will be fun.

thanks for the advice concerning my knee.

ok, now i am more prone to take a decision whithout regreting and thinking " i could be lifting with the olimpic athlete coach with great equipment".

thanks guys.

hopefully my knee finish recovering so i can at least start bjj next year.

I meant that the oly lifts are pretty frustrating to learn. I found the big 3 much easier to learn, but I did both without a coach.

I disagree about having a decent strength base. You'll be starting out at light weights anyhow. There are a lot of people who basically started straight into oly lifting.

I meant that the oly lifts are pretty frustrating to learn. I found the big 3 much easier to learn, but I did both without a coach.

I disagree about having a decent strength base. You'll be starting out at light weights anyhow. There are a lot of people who basically started straight into oly lifting.
If you can't front squat or overhead squat decent weight, your oly lifts will be shit. Unless you stick with the power variations.

If you can't front squat or overhead squat decent weight, your oly lifts will be shit. Unless you stick with the power variations.

And? You can improve those on an oly program while you actually learn the lifts. The biggest battle for any beginner (with a strength base or not) is going to be figuring out how the hell to do a snatch. I'd wager to bet someone that starts out straight into oly will be moving more weights oly lifting after a year than someone who takes a few months to get a strength base before jumping into the lifts.

And FWIW, I don't think a strength base helps much at all to be honest. I went into learning the oly lifts after being able to front squat 405 lbs and I've overhead squatted 225 lbs. I'm not even near those #s on clean and jerk or snatch. Technique and efficiency is going to matter most.

If you want to learn weightlifting and how to do the Olympic lifts go for it. If you are simply using it to get stronger in an effort to aid BJJ you would probably be better off going the other route. Weightlifting is fun and a great challenge, I would recommend it, especially if it does not take away from your BJJ training.

And? You can improve those on an oly program while you actually learn the lifts. The biggest battle for any beginner (with a strength base or not) is going to be figuring out how the hell to do a snatch. I'd wager to bet someone that starts out straight into oly will be moving more weights oly lifting after a year than someone who takes a few months to get a strength base before jumping into the lifts.

And FWIW, I don't think a strength base helps much at all to be honest. I went into learning the oly lifts after being able to front squat 405 lbs and I've overhead squatted 225 lbs. I'm not even near those #s on clean and jerk or snatch. Technique and efficiency is going to matter most.
Every oly lifter I've met learn the fundamentals (4 main lifts) and are part of their routines. So I agree that starting straight into oly lifting is doable since you'll be learning the fundamentals anyway.

As far as a base, though, flexibility is huge, and if you're not flexible, you'll have a bad time for a while.

Hello sherdoggers.

A while ago i asked this question here on the forum and got some answers. At the time, that guy who called himself "Eric Brown" took the lead on the discussion and stated that "if i had good coaches, it was worth trying to learn".
SO.

I have been lifting and im currently recovering from a knee injury.
i have plans for the future.
I intend to start BJJ 3x a week and learn the OLY lifts 2x a week.
Are you into weight lifting to improve your BJJ or are you interested in both sports?

I'm curious to know if any of you guys notice any significant increase with your explosiveness such as your vertical jump from doing any of the olympic lifting?

I'm curious to know if any of you guys notice any significant increase with your explosiveness such as your vertical jump from doing any of the olympic lifting?

You may* only get those results if the parameters are right. If you are a complete novice, then for sure you can have some increases in vertical jump height and velocity. If you're exploding off the ground with relatively lower (<~30% 1RM) intensities, then for sure, you might get those adaptations. On the other hand, if your lifts are slower or at really high intensities, [IMO], the crossover isn't as practical. Some will disagree and that is fine, because truly there are many ways to skin a cat.

I think what has the best transfer are Power Cleans and Snatches from blocks just below or at the knees with <30% 1RM done as explosively as possible.

Last edited:
Didn't you just ask us to spoon feed you a strength program not that long ago?

I'm sure you'll be just as dedicated to Oly lifting.

If your goal is to become good at olympic weightlifting AND you have access to a good coach, then by far your best option is to start weightlifting.

Working on your "max strength" or on the "fundamentals (4 main lifts)" (whichever lifts those may be) before starting olympic weightlifting is not going to hurt, but it is definitely not the best use of your time.

Working on your "max strength" or on the "fundamentals (4 main lifts)" (whichever lifts those may be) .

1. Squat Rack Curl
2. One legged Bosu Ball jump squats
3. Behind the back clap push-ups
4. One arm tandem Deadlift

Jesus, where have you been?

Didn't you just ask us to spoon feed you a strength program not that long ago?

I'm sure you'll be just as dedicated to Oly lifting.

jesus, jim, what do you want from me? to apologize for being a impulsive poster? i mean, ok, that time i could have think twice and not ask for anyone to "spoon feed" me a program...

anyway...im injuried right now so i cannot do any lifts. Im taking a rest from lifting. Bad tendinitis on my right knee and shoulder started to hurt on the bench press.

I will return slowly next year, ...i want to start BJJ and then after that start doing some squats and presses and pulls

one guy asked if i was interested in both OLYs and BJJ or mainly OLYs.:
im interested in BJJ and lifting. My main goal is to have fun and get stronger. My squats sucks. Im starting my TRT so i think it will give me a boost on the mats and under the bar.

i decided to lift for strenght and hipertrophy. Something like 3x5 or 5x5, basic compound movements. My current financial situation changed, i think i better choose the cheaper routine. It is still pretty amazing oportunity since i can train at a very good BJJ gym with the one of the best instructors available AND have access to a no-fee weight room.

this is it, thank you all for bringin content to this thread.

Let's sum it up :
-TS hasn't even started BJJ but wants to start oly lifting & BJJ at the same time..
-Asked for posters to "spoon feed" him with a routine/program that he didn't follow but still managed to hurt his knee and shoulder ( while benchpressing )
-Starts a TRT soon while he is probably young (from his requests and the way he posts and wants to achieve "goals" before even starting training ) and his numbers most probably suck. ( his TRT is probably as necessary as Vitor's, aka straight doping )
-Mentions Eric Brown in OP..

Sherdog Gold !

Back