Started Boxing 3 months ago, not sure how to workout at home.

MetalHead

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey

I started this year with a resolution to lose 70lbs, so far that's going quite well [down 22lbs]. My progress is all down to the fact I've found something I love [boxing]. I've never really been a sporty type, but I've really taken to boxing. It's not only improved my physical health, my social anxiety has improved drastically too. So much that I'm considering taking my first amateur fight in 6 months.

At the moment I'm training with my coach in a 1on1 environment twice a week, I'd do it every day if I could but my budget won't allow it. So the other 5 days I'm not sure what to do, I shadow box around the house quite a bit but as for an actual plan I'm really not sure. I read a lot of people say jogging, but at the moment my knees aren't great and jogging is one of the few exercises I've noticed actually makes them feel worse.

I'm willing to dedicate time out of my schedule every day to train, so whatever needs to be done to get myself ready is good! I have a heavy bag arriving next week to use in my garden, I also have another £50 which I can invest in some equipment for home use too.

Thanks
MH

If you can't jog, then you need to find another low intensity steady state exercise like swimming or biking.

First of all, congrats on dropping the 22 lbs. and I'm glad that your social anxiety has diminished and you want to start competing.

Far as equipment goes, what you need to do in order to succeed is to buy my air dyne bike and my heavy bag and stand.....I'm kidding, I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

Are you able to jump rope with out feeling discomfort in the knees? If not, then I recommend that you start jump roping to help developed your footwork. Also, if you have the chance, you should Google Ross Enamait for some exercises ideas and construct your own mini circuit for developing your conditioning.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossenamait

Pick a fight with the neighbors to practice sparring

...At the moment I'm training with my coach in a 1on1 environment twice a week...

This makes me curious. You have a coach. Is it that your coach refuses to recommend anything for you to do on the five days a week you're not with him, or is it that he gave you advice and you said, "Hmmm, I think I'll shop around and see if I can get better advice than that. How about I check with dudes on the internet?"

Twice a week is not nearly enough if you want to fight, you need to be boxing training and sparring every day if you want to compete.

I didn't even do an interclub until I'd trained for 18 months and I was in there 4 days a week

In judo we used to do what we called "sets"

30 second jogging in place
30 second moguls
30 second side step side step squat
30 second mountain climbers
30 second crunches
30 second triceps pushups
30 second back arches
1 min rest

Repeat.

If your knees are shot you may want to begin sorting that out sooner rather than later, doing static stretching in the morning and eating goods with anti-inflammatory agents as well as shock showers will help with inflammation, but if you have an injury that needs to be addressed you should sort it out.

I record myself shadow boxing for 5-10 minutes before and / or after every workout and I pay very close attention to my footwork. It's a nice warm-up and cooldown and it serves the second purpose of skill development.

Well done on the weight loss.

If you have a smart phone, download soundcloud and search for 'bas ruttens all around mma or boxing' workouts - those are fantastic and get the heart rate going.

Back