Started BJJ 1.5 months ago, loving it!

fps100

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Last week I got some subs while sparring, of course I let it get to my head a bit (although at the same time I realized what was happening :) ), then this week I feel like I can't get anything done. To top everyhing off I was rolling with a blue belt who was at least 25lbs lighter than me and I literally could not do anything and he could just play with me however he wanted. Such a great and humbling experience.

I love it, just goes to show the incredible depth there must be to this art. Shame we have only two sessions a week, although I've been doing some light technique practice with a friend of mine on off days and watching youtube vids + reading books.

So that this isn't just my monologue, do you guys have any protips, maybe a book to read or youtube channel to watch? How long did it take till you felt proficient in the art?

Stephen Kesting has many good videos (and he occasionally posts on Sherdog), just search for techniques (preferably the fundamentals if you have more or less just started bjj).

Last week I got some subs while sparring, of course I let it get to my head a bit (although at the same time I realized what was happening :) ), then this week I feel like I can't get anything done. To top everyhing off I was rolling with a blue belt who was at least 25lbs lighter than me and I literally could not do anything and he could just play with me however he wanted. Such a great and humbling experience.

I love it, just goes to show the incredible depth there must be to this art. Shame we have only two sessions a week, although I've been doing some light technique practice with a friend of mine on off days and watching youtube vids + reading books.

So that this isn't just my monologue, do you guys have any protips, maybe a book to read or youtube channel to watch? How long did it take till you felt proficient in the art?

If I could start all over again, I would get my hands on anything maia has, university of jiu jitsu is very good too...

2 times a week and some extra drilling at home with your homie should be enough, also Gracie University has an awersome curriculum for starters, the Combatives course is great to supplement your training at your school.

TS, do you feel like that extra .5 of a month has made a difference?

My biggest tip would be to start some stretching and/or strength training. BJJ can be pretty bad for the body and doing other things will help you recover.

Just keep plugging away. Eventually one day you'll just "get it". Be respectful and hav fun. Don't be like @Lifeform

I think the issue is that i have done a year of MMA training and also Muay Thai for around 5 years before i started BJJ. Therefore i don't enjoy being lumped in with the white belts who are complete noobs. I also don't like that my MMA techniques and rough grappling style are not welcome when they are effective. I went to 10th Planet and it was much more welcoming to alternative martial arts background.

I think it is naive to act like BJJ is the be all end all, when frankly you can get your shit pushed in by someone with rudimentary striking.

I think the issue is that i have done a year of MMA training and also Muay Thai for around 5 years before i started BJJ. Therefore i don't enjoy being lumped in with the white belts who are complete noobs. I also don't like that my MMA techniques and rough grappling style are not welcome when they are effective. I went to 10th Planet and it was much more welcoming to alternative martial arts background.

I think it is naive to act like BJJ is the be all end all, when frankly you can get your shit pushed in by someone with rudimentary striking.

what rough grappling style are you talking about? bjj uses a gii, do you even roll?

Why do you care about being thrown with white belts? Everyone rolls with every one, and what your rough grappling skills? Lmfao...

Take your rough grappling skills to a competitive Bjj gym and try to push their shit in with your 5 years of Mma grappling training... Report back.

welcome to the club. it gets seriously fun when you're a few years in and can start chaining techniques and setting people up

I dont mind rolling with white belts, i dont like that people i am dominating have stripes when i dont! I am only rough if people are rough with me, i dont slam or act like a dick i just dont like being held back. I am not very heavy and use my physicality which i have built through a range of sports to overpower my opponents and grit my way through submissions. Does that not count for anything?

I dont mind rolling with white belts, i dont like that people i am dominating have stripes when i dont! I am only rough if people are rough with me, i dont slam or act like a dick i just dont like being held back. I am not very heavy and use my physicality which i have built through a range of sports to overpower my opponents and grit my way through submissions. Does that not count for anything?

T-bone? Is that you bro?

<36>

You know else is a white belt? Jon jones... If you can beat blues purples I'm quite sure you would get promoted quite fast... There's a reason why you stuck as a white belt.. And stripes? Stripes are given normally for showing up, not for skills... One would thought a guy coming from a Mma gym would not care about belts, but you care about stripes? Come on

TS, honestly you should start training Catch Jitsu.

It's your attitude that's my issue. Your lack of humility and your entitled personality is exhausting. Either you're a D-level troll or you live in a fantasy land. I don't have a problem with 10th planet nor did I say BJJ is the end all be all considering I've been training judo and wrestling longer. I do it for fitness not to be a UFC star. Now good day to you sir

Back