STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
IMHO, Leia should've died. Yeah, she's strong with the force, but she's untrained. That part of the movie left a sour taste in my mouth.

4 out of 5 for me.

You are correct, another face palm moment. Apparently the force hands out participation trophies as well.
When I saw it I immediately thought of the books that took place after ROJ when Luke was trying to find force sensitives to rebuild the jedi order. Guessing the next movie will be about a race to find the most force users possible.

IMHO, Leia should've died. Yeah, she's strong with the force, but she's untrained. That part of the movie left a sour taste in my mouth.

4 out of 5 for me.
I gave it a pass. They haven't gone into what if anything luke taught her since ROJ.

When Poe starting fucking with Hux over the intercom and making a joke of him and the entire First Order was the second fastest I've ever been like "ohhhh no" in a theatre. First was Bruce's floating dream sequence in the damn opening credits of BvS

Yeah I went into that movie hoping the viewer scores were wrong, but as soon as that happened I was like "Oh shit...they're right aren't they?"

LOL, same! I went in wondering who was going to turn out to be right: the critics that loved it or my sherbros that hated it. As soon as Poe started his crank call I just thought to myself “fuck...”

<{hfved}>

LOL, same! I went in wondering who was going to turn out to be right: the critics that loved it or my sherbros that hated it. As soon as Poe started his crank call I just thought to myself “fuck...”

<{hfved}>

The crank call is in character for Poe however, at the beginning of tfa he has a similar interaction with Kylo. Cracking jokes as he’s about to interrogate him.

“Who talks first, you ? Me? What’s up with the mask?”

So that I thought was following his character

The crank call is in character for Poe however, at the beginning of tfa he has a similar interaction with Kylo. Cracking jokes as he’s about to interrogate him.

It's not so much Poe as it was General Huxtible being a total dipshit in response. Then again, I suppose that is in his character as well.

When I saw it I immediately thought of the books that took place after ROJ when Luke was trying to find force sensitives to rebuild the jedi order. Guessing the next movie will be about a race to find the most force users possible.

In Jedi academy when they are finding force sensitive kids Jaden had already constructed his own lightsaber on his own with no guidance.

So there is some background for that, and Galen marek tipping darth Vader’s lightsaber our of his hand as a toddler. Looked to be 2.5-3yrs to me.

But we don’t know how much of anything his dad had taught him from birth.

I think you mean, to find the most athletically explosive...

4 out of 5 for me.

Are you serious ? It was horrible lol.

I guess you’ve got a point, but having Hux going “hello! Can you hear me?” In response while the bridge crew are all snickering to themselves was just too much.

Hows it a great movie when you listed all these as things you didnt like? You even went on to say Lucas did a better job in many more areas. Seems to be a complete contradiction to what you said a few days ago. hell you even listed the reasons why people hate it and are asking why its getting hate? lol wut
  • So much over the top slapstick comedy. Like it felt like GOTG mixed with old Star Wars themes.
  • General Hux is a terrible actor, like atrocious. And him being a punchline mixed with temper tantrum Kylo really makes the 1st Order come off as not remotely intimidating.
  • Hated the 1st 30 minutes of the movie. Didn't get good until the Luke/Rey scenes.
  • Snoke was an absolute waste of a character and the design was so uninspired. Felt like a lazy way to not have to get out of giving the character any depth or backstory.
  • BB-8 turning into the soccer ball version of fucking Rambo.
  • Mark was great with what he was given, but Jesus they butchered Luke. So he becomes a selfish isolated dick that was on the verge of killing his Nephew. Like completely killed who he was as a person. Luke and Han had such pathetic falls from grace.
  • The Jedi training could have included a little more training
  • Recycled plot points like crazy. Rey pulling a ROTJ Luke going straight to the enemy, evacuation in the beginning just like Hoth, Dark Side Cave like Dagobah.
  • Brienne of Tarth was an overhyped can.
  • Say what you want about Lucas, but he did a much better job of introducing new lore, locations, species, and universe building. This new movies feel like fan fiction at times.
  • Carrie was good, but I don't know what you do now that she's dead IRL.
  • Also RIP to King Calamari Admiral Ackbar.
I hate typing on my phone so i’ll Be short for now. I can get into it more later if you want. My rankings have nostalgia built in. If I am being honest I liked 8 as much as 4.
I see a lot of your points completely differently and will expound later. I do understand that people dislike some decision as sw fans, but in terms of a movie that iimmerses you into ithe story and then stays on message, entertains, makes you care, and surprises you, tlj delivers big time. I loved What they did with Kylo and Rey and Snoke. Fit Ren’s character perfectly and set up an enticing ending in ep 9.
Humor was clunky early but eventually hit its stride. The whole movie was like a 60’s muscle car. Started cold the motor sputters for a few miles out of the garage, and you wonder if it’s losing compression or something, but then it starts humming and you are chirping its tires at will, like a boss.

I guess you’ve got a point, but having Hux going “hello! Can you hear me?” In response while the bridge crew are all snickering to themselves was just too much.
Hux’s responses where out of character from what we had seen but not Poe crank calling.

<{hfved}>
I only watched one trailer, didn’t look up reviews, avoided this thread the last few weeks, didn’t get any comments from people who had seen it. I went it as cold as could be so I had no idea.

Just noticed the av, loved those books as a kid

He watched just enough to know how to kill it.

THE FORCE AWAKENS deserves to die an ignominious death!

Hows it a great movie when you listed all these as things you didnt like? You even went on to say Lucas did a better job in many more areas. Seems to be a complete contradiction to what you said a few days ago. Hell you even listed the reasons why people hate it and are asking why its getting hate? lol wut
  • So much over the top slapstick comedy. Like it felt like GOTG mixed with old Star Wars themes.
    • I think Abrams broke away from the mannered dialogue we've come to expect from STAR WARS, contemporizing and somewhat trivializing dialogue.
    • At least with jokes, there's more of a structure to the dialogue as opposed to "Who talks first? Me or you?" or "THAT WAS AWESOME" or "Cute boyfriend?"
  • General Hux is a terrible actor, like atrocious. And him being a punchline mixed with temper tantrum Kylo really makes the 1st Order come off as not remotely intimidating.
    • Doesn't help he looks like a pussy but is taller than Kylo Ren.
    • Kylo Ren in FORCE AWAKENS has the bearing of a gypsy grandmother.
  • Snoke was an absolute waste of a character and the design was so uninspired. Felt like a lazy way to not have to get out of giving the character any depth or backstory.
    • Compared to whom? Palpatine? Emperor Lightning Hands for his first two installments, and Gay Senator for the next three?
    • Snoke was a giant hologram whom is paid off with a fairly surprising plot point: a hologram that can bridge minds undetected. Not bad for a hologram.
    • Did we want a "Ya wanna know how I got these scars?" speech?
  • BB-8 turning into the soccer ball version of fucking Rambo.
    • After Flying R2, I figure droids get a free pass for fan-service.
  • Mark was great with what he was given, but Jesus they butchered Luke. So he becomes a selfish isolated dick that was on the verge of killing his Nephew. Like completely killed who he was as a person. Luke and Han had such pathetic falls from grace.
    • I really enjoyed Luke in this one. I felt like he looked like Yoda occasionally during training, and I liked the doubt peppering him (as well as Kylo) that resulted in some of his decisions being cast for him despite misgivings.
      • For Kylo it was not-firing upon his mother's ship
      • For Luke it was not-destroying the texts (that weren't even there anyway)
  • The Jedi training could have included a little more training
    • Agreed!
  • Recycled plot points like crazy. Rey pulling a ROTJ Luke going straight to the enemy, evacuation in the beginning just like Hoth, Dark Side Cave like Dagobah.
    • Better than the TFA's though, which has actual devices arbitrarily showing up in the narrative.
      • Falcon
      • Han
      • Lightsabre
      • Leia (kinda)
    • LAST JEDI's homages were integrated better. Not just random shout-outs.
  • Brienne of Tarth was an overhyped can.
    • Like Snoke, why must more be made of her?
  • Say what you want about Lucas, but he did a much better job of introducing new lore, locations, species, and universe building. This new movies feel like fan fiction at times.
    • Nah. His choices were arbitrary too, but his depiction of a sprawling, vast galaxy was certainly more palpable. Lucas' world is definitely larger and more populated.
    • The fault with Lucas' prequels is there was nothing surprising. No revelations. Expanded very little on what we already knew from the OT.
Some rebuttals within the spoiler!

4 out of 5 for me.
That gets a pass from me because they CGI'd Leia to look more like young Leia than current Carrie Fisher.

It's so weird that I think frozen old Leia looked more accurate than Young Leia from ROGUE ONE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back