STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
No problem, not all of us need to see the same thing.

No reason for embarrassment, different views and opinions are all accepted.
no, i mean it's embarrassing that you think this garbage movie has any value.

Classic DasPunk

tenor.gif

I just tried to rewatch this with my kids on netflix cause i thought maybe theyd like it, they got bored and gave up.

I somehow missed this notification but when I did my new daily checkups I noticed it so sorry for the late reply.

DJ is real life as it can get.. yea okay maybe over cynical but he kept it real.

In his perspective it doesn't matter if you are siding with good or bad because deep down it's all wrong and screwed up so it's better to be neutral and only look out for yourself, he sells to bad or good and perception can change very easily depending on your position.

DJ represent how a good portion of people feel and act. Rose is the optimistic revolutionary type with a touch of hippie love will save us and all that.

Luke is a mess and feel he has let down his own family. We see Luke at his lowest possible moment and lashes out against everything including the Jedi teachings but in the end the dude understood whats important and picked that lightsaber up and saved the day, he chose to use the same lightsaber he tossed at the beginning of the film even to more accentuate his change.

Kylo is saying forget the old so she finds the strength to kill them to obtain that power and freedom in the act of slaying Luke, her friends, etc.. who stands in their way. This is what he used for motivation and power to do the final act and kill his own father but it didn't have the effect he wanted at least not right away, Kylo was 'balanced' and focused when he finally accepted his role and his need to be the main guy and his desire to have Rey by his side. He got it all except the companion and he was so vulnerable when he said that "please" to Rey and she rejected him.

The point isn't that nothing matters this isn't the Avengers 3 finally this is Star Wars it all has meaning and teachings and The Last Jedi is full of them, failure, recovery, learning from mistakes, moving forward, hope, etc.. plenty of messages hell they put it on PETA stuff to for good measures. :D

I want to see this move forward, I want to see what Rey will do, what Kylo.. will someone die ? will she try to turn him right at the end or just kill him because there is no more hope. Rey growing as a character and a Jedi and interacting with them force ghost and what other things she will learn seems every movie is showing us new stuff in that powers front enriching the star wars universe.

So sit there and pout all you want but you will be there to see the movie when the time comes.. most likely. :p

I didn't have a problem with DJ's outlook on the war and life. It made sense.
But like a lot of things with TLJ, it's not the existence of characters, or the themes in and of themself that I hated, it was HOW they were executed. That line from DJ got completely overshadowed by how stupid the entire Canto Bight story was--and how stupid and nonsensical how he even ended up meeting Finn and Rose was. He could have been a much more interesting and layered character if he wasn't covered in that shitty plot.

Rian hamfistedly kept hammering in this same idea that we need to "kill the old to make with the new". I'm not against that idea in and of itself, it was HOW it was done that I found so awful.
How these characters got to where they are is absolute garbage.

The problem I have isn't that Luke is a shitty old man that has given up hope, it's that we don't actually see HOW he got there. The little bullshit flashback they gave us doesn't even begin to explain how Luke went from the guy we knew, to that guy we saw in TLJ. Without seeing Luke go through whatever he was going through, there was no impact.

Kylo wants her to kill her friends for what? To rule the world? What the hell does he want? He went from wanting to please his master Snoke and living up to his Grandfather's name in TFA, to........what the hell did he want in TLJ ? I can not buy that he can ever be "balanced" after murdering his own father in cold blood. And why does he want Rey? She almost killed him. She clearly hates him. Their relationship makes no sense considering their history. It makes no sense for her to try and save or redeem him, and it makes no sense that he would think she would kill her friends and join him.

I will watch the next movie. But, what I am saying is, that this movie left NOTHING for me to LOOK FORWARD to. There's another movie being made, so obviously, they will create some sort of story--but with the way TLJ ended, I don't give a shit what happens. They have given me no reason to care about any of these characters. They are all incredibly bland when they didn't have to be.

The point isn't that nothing matters this isn't the Avengers 3 finally this is Star Wars it all has meaning and teachings and The Last Jedi is full of them, failure, recovery, learning from mistakes, moving forward, hope, etc.. plenty of messages hell they put it on PETA stuff to for good measures. :D
<mma3>

Don't look now, but you just felt the full effect of one of the major objectives in the movie.

You're supposed to feel this sense of bleakness toward the cause. You're supposed to feel like all hope is lost. Then against all odds... the light returnz to banish the dark in Ep. 9.

The biggest problem people have with this movie imo... is that they forget it's part 2 of 3. Don't anyone waffle this BS about a movie should be contained within itself either, because this movie is. it's just that the bad guys won & that's it. Everything is bleak & that's a wrap. Movie is complete. Same scenario we're left with in Empire. Now, with the triumphant return of the light in Ep 9 all will be made well in the universe & in hindsite you all have gone on an epic adventure that even split the star wars fans just like the Star Wars universe is divided. We are experiencing first hand in the streets of reality what the current state of the Star Wars universe is. Light siders fighting haters... nay sayers fighting enthusiasts... It is an epic battle of social media just like the epic battle that's happening on screen.

Talk about a reality show... man this thing couldn't have gone better.

Nope. Nein. 아니요. Nyet. Non. Nie. NO.

I didn't feel a "sense of bleakness toward the cause". I didn't feel anything of the sort. I literally felt like, "what the hell did I just watch?"
Kylo's fleet looked pretty damn crippled in the end. Snoke's super ship has been destroyed. Snoke is gone. Phasma is gone. Emotionally unstable Kylo, and his goofball general are all that is left.
But magical Rey, a girl whom has already defeated Kylo is back..and MORE powerful than before. Best pilot in the galaxy, Poe, is still here. General Leia is still here. Chewy is still here. Finn is here. Rose is here. What was there to feel bleak about? If anything, it felt like a draw to me--and that's sad for The Order considering it was basically a HW vs a LW.

lol NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
None of us have forgotten that this is 2 of 3. The biggest problem from this movie's defenders is that they have forgotten this movie is SUPPOSED to be a sequel to part 1. AND that you guys are trying to fill in the missing information with your own imagination, or from cannon from the books/other sources.
I do feel that this movie was complete. Like this movie could have ended this SW trilogy.
You say 2 of 3, as if it's the same as 2 of 6. 3 is the last movie. We are at the finish line. So in 2 movies I've learned that Rey is strong in the force and has drunkard shitty parents, nothing about Snoke, nothing about Phasma, Poe spent TFA mostly hiddden--and then spent all of TLJ on a ship trying to mutiny, Luke is an asshole, Finn made the HUGE, BRAVE decision to join the rebels...(as if he had any other choice), and Rose...? I don't give a shit about Rose! Kylo was somewhat interesting, but we should know A LOT more about him 2 freaking movies in. No new interesting characters were introudced in TLJ, and character development moved at a snail's pace.
It's not that 3 can't be good--it could be..but it will be DESPITE TLJ, not because of it.

And why does he want Rey? She almost killed him. She clearly hates him. Their relationship makes no sense considering their history. It makes no sense for her to try and save or redeem him, and it makes no sense that he would think she would kill her friends and join him.

You spend some time with Rey in a force connection then feelings would change. :D

Something was happening in that hut before Luke spoiled the fun.

In before immaculate conception.

But like a lot of things with TLJ, it's not the existence of characters, or the themes in and of themself that I hated, it was HOW they were executed. That line from DJ got completely overshadowed by how stupid the entire Canto Bight story was--and how stupid and nonsensical how he even ended up meeting Finn and Rose was. He could have been a much more interesting and layered character if he wasn't covered in that shitty plot.

Rian hamfistedly kept hammering in this same idea that we need to "kill the old to make with the new". I'm not against that idea in and of itself, it was HOW it was done that I found so awful.

The problem I have isn't that Luke is a shitty old man that has given up hope, it's that we don't actually see HOW he got there. The little bullshit flashback they gave us doesn't even begin to explain how Luke went from the guy we knew, to that guy we saw in TLJ. Without seeing Luke go through whatever he was going through, there was no impact.

Kylo wants her to kill her friends for what? To rule the world? What the hell does he want? He went from wanting to please his master Snoke and living up to his Grandfather's name in TFA, to........what the hell did he want in TLJ ? I can not buy that he can ever be "balanced" after murdering his own father in cold blood. And why does he want Rey? She almost killed him. She clearly hates him. Their relationship makes no sense considering their history. It makes no sense for her to try and save or redeem him, and it makes no sense that he would think she would kill her friends and join him.

I will watch the next movie. But, what I am saying is, that this movie left NOTHING for me to LOOK FORWARD to. There's another movie being made, so obviously, they will create some sort of story--but with the way TLJ ended, I don't give a shit what happens. They have given me no reason to care about any of these characters. They are all incredibly bland when they didn't have to be.

<mma3>

2dq6se.jpg

Kylo's fleet looked pretty damn crippled in the end
Kylo's fleet has 30 Star Destroyers in it, each with 70,000 people on it & 144 Tie Fighters. There were only 8 at the most in the chase for the Raddus.... & not all of them were even damaged. Even if you don't want to accept Canon outside of the movie... you can clearly see that only a couple of those 8 Star Destroyers were destroyed. You also gotta know that with the Supremacy being like 30 miles long, that there's still a ton of fleet & people still alive on that ship & Kylo will rescue them using the remaining Star Destroyers to taxi them out.

Also, as someone pointed out yesterday.... They described the dreadnaught in a way that indicated there were more of them. Like when Poe said "we have a chance to take out a Dreadnaught." He didn't say "THE" dreadnaught yeah?

So in 2 movies I've learned that Rey is strong in the force and has drunkard shitty parents, nothing about Snoke, nothing about Phasma, Poe spent TFA mostly hiddden--and then spent all of TLJ on a ship trying to mutiny, Luke is an asshole, Finn made the HUGE, BRAVE decision to join the rebels...(as if he had any other choice), and Rose...? I don't give a shit about Rose! Kylo was somewhat interesting, but we should know A LOT more about him 2 freaking movies in. No new interesting characters were introudced in TLJ, and character development moved at a snail's pace.
It's not that 3 can't be good--it could be..but it will be DESPITE TLJ, not because of it.
This is a pretty cynical pov & don't agree with any of it. (oh sh*t... I should've used Luke's line :D)

iu

I'm not going to get into every little thing you mentioned here mostly because it seems you don't want to hear it anyway... but I will throw DJ into the mix vs. your statement that no new interesting characters were introduced. I'm not sure we needed more though... there was a ton of new characters introduced in TFA... & so they continued through the 2nd movie with the characters they've all ready introduced for the most part. I don't see a problem there.

Last edited:

<mma3>

Exellent post, to me TLJ is the nadir of the current Hollywood culture of not respecting the writing process, that the script doesn't really matter when you throw a couple of hundren million at it. I do very strongly suspect though that Disney had a HEAVY hand in that script, to me it seems like its basic ideas are potentially solid but end up vastly simplified, avoiding any real challenges and shoehorning a lot of irrelevant nonsense in. I mean Johnson wrote Looper, maybe not the best film ever made but still he clearly has talent beyond what we saw here.

I actually think that Abrams invented a style of film making that deliberately tries to bamboozle audiences/critics on first viewing that fed though into this film. Basically events keep happening so quickly that its very difficult to really digest them and your kind of left scratching your head as to whether it was anygood or not. I think beyond hype/corruption/politics that actually kind of helps explain the critical reaction to TLJ, if your already biased on favour of the film its easy in the above situation to believe you'd just seen greatness.

Last edited:
Exellent post, to me TLJ is the nadir of the current Hollywood culture of not respecting the writing process, that the script doesn't really matter when you throw a couple of hundren million at it. I do very strongly suspect though that Disney had a HEAVY hand in that script, to me it seems like its basic ideas are potentially solid but end up vastly simplified, avoiding any real challenges and shoehorning a lot of irrelevant nonsense in. I mean Johnson wrote Looper, maybe not the best film ever made but still he clearly has talent beyond what we saw here.

I actually think that Abrams invented a style of film making that actually deliberately tries to bamboozle audiences/critics on first viewing that fed though into this film. Basically events keep happening so quickly, that its very difficult to really digest them and your kind of left scratching your head as to whether it was anygood or not. I think beyond hype/corruption/politics that actually kind of helps explain the critical reaction to TLJ, if your already biased on favour of the film its easy in the above situation to believe you'd just see greatness.

Interesting take on JJ.

Interesting take on JJ.

I remember coming out of both sequels thinking "what did I just see?", it was only digesting it a bit and rewatching that confirmed, "yep, that wasn't very good".

The Abrams Trek films were the same although I didn't bother to watch Into Darkness a second time.

I wish the Skywalker saga ended with Ep. 6 and we could have gone in a completely new direction for the new films. Completely unconnected characters, new threat from outside of known space. Different types of Force users. I’d be down for that.

Kylo's fleet has 30 Star Destroyers in it, each with 70,000 people on it & 144 Tie Fighters. There were only 8 at the most in the chase for the Raddus.... & not all of them were even damaged. Even if you don't want to accept Canon outside of the movie... you can clearly see that only a couple of those 8 Star Destroyers were destroyed. You also gotta know that with the Supremacy being like 30 miles long, that there's still a ton of fleet & people still alive on that ship & Kylo will rescue them using the remaining Star Destroyers to taxi them out.

Also, as someone pointed out yesterday.... They described the dreadnaught in a way that indicated there were more of them. Like when Poe said "we have a chance to take out a Dreadnaught." He didn't say "THE" dreadnaught yeah?

This is a pretty cynical pov & don't agree with any of it. (oh sh*t... I should've used Luke's line :D)

iu

I'm not going to get into every little thing you mentioned here mostly because it seems you don't want to hear it anyway... but I will throw DJ into the mix vs. your statement that no new interesting characters were introduced. I'm not sure we needed more though... there was a ton of new characters introduced in TFA... & so they continued through the 2nd movie with the characters they've all ready introduced for the most part. I don't see a problem there.
I am willing to hear out any opinion, but i am definitely not willing to accept cannon whatsoever. It makes no sense. The movie has to stand on its own.
And it feels like you are REALLY biased because you have this source material in your head.
The movie gave me no feeling that there was still a bunch of ships with a bunch of troops still laying around. They brought their big, main ship out that had their ultimate leader on it...and the leader was killed, and that ship got jacked up. When your leader is killed and his ship goes down , that's usually the end of your army.
From what i was watching, it looked like they brought their whole force down to pursue and finish the rebels. I think you're giving the movie way too much leeway. Focusing on one line where a character says "a" instead of "the" is really, really reaching. What was actually shown on the screen did not lead me to believe there was a still a lot of either sides forces still around. Both sides generals were there, that looked like endgame to me

As far as characters go, I think DJ was interesting in theory, but ultimately was underutilized and wasted. All of that time wasted on riding space giraffes around the city and escaping jail, and the casino, all of that time would have been better spent on just making DJs character the contact guy from the start, and having Finn and Rose try to convince him to help them. What was the point of making the actual guy they were looking for not available, and replacing him with another random guy? It didn't help the story at all. It was a waste of time

This movie was just shallow as shit in terms of character. I didn't need new characters, but they did introduce new characters without giving them any depth, and without giving their old characters any either. I don't care about any of these characters because they don't express what they want, or much of their personality. They are just reacting to events around them. 2 movies in, I should have a firm grasp on who these main characters are and what they're about. There isn't a single memorable line, or thing anyone of these guys have said or done in 2 movies.

Im not trying to directly compare these movies to the old ones, because this movie is its own thing, but from a purely character standpoint...10 years from now...20 years from now...who am I going to remember out of this series? What can I really say about the character of any of these people? Han, Luke, and Leia are memorable. I understand their characters and motivation. Finn, Poe, and Rey are barely developed in comparison, and it's not like the original SW characters are deep and complicated themselves. I have nothing to look forward to because i don't care about any of these cardboard people
TLJ is a very generic summer blockbuster type movie with the Star Wars logo stamped on it.

The movie gave me no feeling that there was still a bunch of ships with a bunch of troops still laying around. They brought their big, main ship out that had their ultimate leader on it...and the leader was killed, and that ship got jacked up. When your leader is killed and his ship goes down , that's usually the end of your army.
From what i was watching, it looked like they brought their whole force down to pursue and finish the rebels. I think you're giving the movie way too much leeway. Focusing on one line where a character says "a" instead of "the" is really, really reaching. What was actually shown on the screen did not lead me to believe there was a still a lot of either sides forces still around. Both sides generals were there, that looked like endgame to me
Actually that thing about there being another dreadnaught was an argument presented by one of you resistors. They were making a point to me that it was obvious that the First Order had more military & so my information about the 30 Star Destroyers they have was worthless.. lol... So he argued the fact that there was obviously at least one more dreadnaught... which somehow in his mind is equal to my information.... lol....

That said.... I think you are completely ignoring what I said about all the star Destroyers not being destroyed in that impact... & you don't need anything but the movie to prove it. That Raddus impact only ripped through one area. The other Star destroyers were not in a perfect line behind that exact spot... lol... Please tell me you are not going to argue that. Here's a picture from the movie.
supremacy-pre-blasted-in-half-9-battle-cruisers-jpg.404743

You can not only see that all the star destroyers were not directly behind that spot... but most of them are also flying a significant distance under the Supremacy.

In the next picture you can not only see that but you can very easily see 2 star Destroyers way way over there to the right. The supremacy is 30 miles long. That little blue light you see on the left is the Raddus just as it impacted the Supremacy. So those 2 star Destroyers on the far right are at least 10 miles away from the impact. Those 2 on the far left are around 7 miles from impact... so it's safe to say that you have 4 star destroyers that are in tact. If anything some debris bounced off of them or something causing very minor damage if any.

Each Star Destroyer has 70,000 people & 144 tie fighters on it.
x4 that means that the First Order has an absolute minimum of 280,000 people & 576 Tie Fighters.

You can also see from the movie that at least 15 - 20 miles of the Supremacy was un-damaged, so however many people were over there... & how ever much equipment & tie fighters were in there will be added to the military.

& that is all assuming that those other 6 Star Destroyers were all just completely annihilated... which I find very unlikely.

supremacy-pre-blasted-in-half-10-battle-cruisers-jpg.404745

but all of this is just to appease your insistence that outside canon can't be discussed. Because the actual fact is that the entire miliary of the First order had 30 of those Star Destroyers & only 10 of them were present in this movie... So adding onto the miliary we know survived the impact from the Raddus is 20 more star Destroyers which hold a combined total of 1,400,000 people & 2,880 Tie fighters.

What was the point of making the actual guy they were looking for not available, and replacing him with another random guy?
Irrelevant. It neither enhances the story nor kills it. I will digress that Maz should not had made such a big deal out of the limited amount of people who could do it.... but again, that's a minor thing & so what. Fact is they spent about 5 seconds of the movie with them noticing that dude with the flower... & that's it. So I'm not sure what you're talking about with that being a big time waster.

The way they showed Finn being in awe of the place was very important to Finn's character development because when Rose showed him the ugly side of Canto Bight & the slaver & child abuse, you get a feel for how Finn will eventually go from someone who just wants to save his friend Rey... to really understanding the value of the Rebels & making a switch to being a full on member. Now in the next movie, we will understand why Finn stays instead of going back to wanting to run away. it's also important for us the viewers to understand why the Rebels & the New Republic are the good guys. They are trying to get rid of that corruption & abuse. It's clear who the movie wants us to view as the bad guys... but it's only in scenes like that where we as the audience can agree that yes, that's f*cked up & I want the people trying to change that to win.

I didn't need new characters, but they did introduce new characters without giving them any depth, and without giving their old characters any either. I don't care about any of these characters because they don't express what they want, or much of their personality. They are just reacting to events around them. 2 movies in, I should have a firm grasp on who these main characters are and what they're about. There isn't a single memorable line, or thing anyone of these guys have said or done in 2 movies.
I disagree. I see tremendous growth & character development in almost all the main characters that they introduced. As mentioned above.... Finn's journey is a parallel to why the viewing audience understands who the bad guys are & his slow but steady switch from being a storm trooper to joining the rebels explains that perfectly.

We know a lot about Kylo. I really don't get anyone who says he's under explained. I will admit we don't know what he's going to do with the first order, but it's only been about a half a day since he was in charge... & so we gotta wait for the final act for that answer, but we know a lot about him other than that. Like deep psychological stuff that run him from behind the scenes. I'm not sure what more you could want.

Same with Rey. We got to see what was mind fooking her & driving her this whole time, & when you see her give up on that in a therapeutic chat with the villain you see a character who is now been made free of that having power over her. She's got a tremendous backstory having to become an elite staff fighter to survive & learn about ship mechanics by being a scrapper for a living... & now the force awakens in her & she has to figurre it all out. It's a fascinating story.

I have nothing to look forward to because i don't care about any of these cardboard people
Well I & a lot of people disagree.

I mean, I could go on... but I just keep getting the feeling you don't really want to hear any of it. maybe you're happier chatting with people who just want to sh*t on everything & agree with you that it sux yeah?

Attachments

• Supremacy pre blasted in half - 9 battle cruisers.JPG
    Supremacy pre blasted in half - 9 battle cruisers.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Supremacy pre blasted in half - 10 battle cruisers.JPG
    Supremacy pre blasted in half - 10 battle cruisers.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Star Wars nuthuggers with the classic "You just don't understand the movie that's why you think it sucks" mentality.

I'm pretty sure these guys have a Rose Tico toy next to their bed:

maxresdefault.jpg

Back