STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
It was explained in the books that Rey had been training most of her life on Jakku in combat... Specifically staff fighting. Her skills were so well known on Jakku that most people didn't f*ck with her. Agreed that some more Jedi training would've been good, but I got no problem thinking she can translate staff fighting to the light saber. Especially with the force awakening in her.

"it IS you"
Kylo & Snoke were expecting a light side force user to step up now that they had unleashed the dark side through mass genocide. They had an understanding that the force just balances itself out that way. That's what Snoke meant when he said "the dark rises... & the light to meet it." So the 2 of them were not only expecting someone... they were speculating it was Luke. That's why they were so gung ho to find Luke.

To both of their surprise it turned out to be Rey. The "it IS you" statement is referring to that recognition. Like during the mind meld scene, he knew she was strong... but it wasn't till that moment in the forest that he realized that she was the one to balance their darkness rising.

That's how I took it anywayz.

@One MMA Fan @EvilDDS what do you make out of the "it IS you" statement at the end of TFA?

That crossed my mind, I was just hopingbthat wasn't it.

It was explained in the books that Rey had been training most of her life on Jakku in combat... Specifically staff fighting. Her skills were so well known on Jakku that most people didn't f*ck with her. Agreed that some more Jedi training would've been good, but I got no problem thinking she can translate staff fighting to the light saber. Especially with the force awakening in her.

"it IS you"
Kylo & Snoke were expecting a light side force user to step up now that they had unleashed the dark side through mass genocide. They had an understanding that the force just balances itself out that way. That's what Snoke meant when he said "the dark rises... & the light to meet it." So the 2 of them were not only expecting someone... they were speculating it was Luke. That's why they were so gung ho to find Luke.

To both of their surprise it turned out to be Rey. The "it IS you" statement is referring to that recognition. Like during the mind meld scene, he knew she was strong... but it wasn't till that moment in the forest that he realized that she was the one to balance their darkness rising.

@One MMA Fan @EvilDDS what do you make out of the "it IS you" statement at the end of TFA?
I think that's exactly it. Initially when I read the book, I thought that it was something deeper. Like when Kylo is informed of BB-8 making it out on the Falcon, with "a girl", and Kylo force grabs that guy and yells "what girl?!"
But yes, I think it was just the balancing, Snoke says "there's been awakening, have you felt it?" So when Ren says "it's you!", I think he just realizes that Rey is the one who has started the "awakening"

Also, agree with the Rey being a bad ass with the staff. It was shown she's quite capable, and can handle herself in combat. Whereas in the original, we don't really see Luke trained in duelling, gets his ass handed to him by Sand People/Tuskens, but there he is facing off against Vader in Empire. He deflects a few bolts from a remote training ball, but we're never shown any saber training. In Empire, we just see some running, handstands, levitating rocks (which Luke tells Rey, that the force isn't about moving rocks, kinda funny). Then at the end, she rescues the Resistance by moving rocks. But just saying, we're shown more of Rey being a bad ass in combat then we ever are of Luke.

And with that explanation, I'm reminded of one of my favourite memes, in this age of political correctness

8c8e88068ab378a147f14f355f5e83d0--funny-memes-funny-shit.jpg

Last edited:
I think we can all agree Daisy Ridley got the fat-face this time round tho.

wkjnaltq2agzogw2o8uw.gif

Last edited:
Oh yeah, It's actually known as "The Force Dash."

Surprising they don't use it more if they got the ability. I guess Obi or Yoda never taught Luke that one. They did teach him to "force jump" like when Luke jumped out of the cryochamber.

I'll bet with a bit of practice they could also do a team effort thing too. Like using a "force throw".... Obi throws Jinn at the same time as Jinn throws Obi... both in the same direction at the same time as they "Force Dash." Would be like a "Super Force Dash." :D

@EvilDDS What do you think about the Super Force Dash? You think Kylo & Rey could work on that some day while lounging on the beach or something?
Definitely, I see it like Apollo training Rocky in Rocky III. Then they both jump into the water of Ahch-To and celebrate after Rey finally beats Kylo in a race. And the caretakers of the island are on the beach with their glow sticks, chanting "Rey, Rey, Rey!"

And then she's ready to take on Snoke. That's how it should've played out

Definitely, I see it like Apollo training Rocky in Rocky III. Then they both jump into the water of Ahch-To and celebrate after Rey finally beats Kylo in a race. And the caretakers of the island are on the beach with their glow sticks, chanting "Rey, Rey, Rey!"

And then she's ready to take on Snoke. That's how it should've played out
iu

I think that's exactly it. Initially when I read the book, I thought that it was something deeper. Like when Kylo is informed of BB-8 making it out on the Falcon, with "a girl", and Kylo force grabs that guy and yells "what girl?!"
But yes, I think it was just the balancing, Snoke says "there's been awakening, have you felt it?" So when Ren says "it's you!", I think he just realizes that Rey is the one who has started the "awakening"

Also, agree with the Rey being a bad ass with the staff. It was shown she's quite capable, and can handle herself in combat. Whereas in the original, we don't really see Luke trained in duelling, gets his ass handed to him by Sand People/Tuskens, but there he is facing off against Vader in Empire. He deflects a few bolts from a remote training ball, but we're never shown any saber training. In Empire, we just see some running, handstands, levitating rocks (which Luke tells Rey, that the force isn't about moving rocks, kinda funny). Then at the end, she rescues the Resistance by moving rocks. But just saying, we're shown more of Rey being a bad ass in combat then we ever are of Luke.

And with that explanation, I'm reminded of one of my favourite memes, in this age of political correctness

{<jordan}

Dat Meme

<OKC16>

Well said bro. A lot of Rey's fighting background is covered more in the book than the movie... but hey... we still got to see on screen.... some of her skills that she all ready had.

For sure Luke had next to no training by Obi. Fundamental stuff during a single trip that didn't likely last more than a day.

Just a quick note about Luke's training on Degobah. You're right that we didn't see combat or light saber training on screen... & they should've probably shown more of that... but Luke was on Degobah for a month or so. I never realized that for the longest time... because in the movie it goes from one scene to the next & the next thing you know, Luke is leaving Degobah as the Falcon is approaching Cloud City.

However, the hyperdrive being bad on the Falcon means that it took them a month or so to get to Cloud City... & that's the amount of time that Luke was on Degobah. So long story short... he most likely did get some decent combat training... but to your point... they could've went ahead & shown some of it on screen.

Now all that said... Star Wars insider Pablo Hidalgo is the one who clarified that the trip to Cloud City took the Falcon a month. I read an article one time by a physics guy who checked all the stats for the trip the Falcon took with a broken hyperdrive.... & that physics guy said that there's no way they could've made that trip in a lifetime much less one month.

Anywayz though... we'll just take Pablo'z word for it. :D

"it IS you"

If we're gonna bring EU into the discussion, then current Canon has Luke getting more training after Episode IV, with the voice of Obi-Wan and Ob-Wans journals teaching him about the force and it's capabilities. So in a EU discussion, his training is fairly extensive.

SJW > With Training > One Above All > Infinity Gauntlet > Prep Time > Sea Level > Motivated > You > 70% Hendricks

If we're gonna bring EU into the discussion, then current Canon has Luke getting more training after Episode IV, with the voice of Obi-Wan and Ob-Wans journals teaching him about the force and it's capabilities. So in a EU discussion, his training is fairly extensive.
I recently started reading the Star Wars comic, it’s good. Just recently read the issue where Luke goes back to Obi-Wan’s place and gets his journals, then is confronted by Boba Fett
I read a ton of the others too, all good stuff being put out. The new Vader series is great, as is the older series

Respectfully.... Your terminology is not correct. By definition "Expanded Universe"... is no longer Canon. During the "order 66 Disney Canon Purge" of Oct 2012... All expanded universe was nixxed & then re-termed as "Legends." So in other words... something cannot be "expanded universe" & still be "Canon."

Nothing I said in my comment that you quoted was "expanded universe." I mentioned the movies... & during the part about Rey, I mentioned Canon novels. Perhaps we can get around this terminology thing & you could re-phrase you point of view.

Respectfully.... Your terminology is not correct. By definition "Expanded Universe"... is no longer Canon. During the "order 66 Disney Canon Purge" of Oct 2012... All expanded universe was nixxed & then re-termed as "Legends." So in other words... something cannot be "expanded universe" & still be "Canon."

Nothing I said in that comment was "expanded universe." I meantioned the movies... & during the part about Rey, I mentioned Canon novels. Perhaps we can get around this terminology thing & you could re-phrase you point of view.

Thats why I said "current Canon". As in the post purge EU. Expanded universe isnt a trademarked term as far as I know. I dunno why we cant refer to it when talking about the .....expanded.....universe....of the Star Wars stories.

Mentioning the books is by default mentioning the expanded universe. What im referring to is the current run of Marvels Star Wars comics.

I recently started reading the Star Wars comic, it’s good. Just recently read the issue where Luke goes back to Obi-Wan’s place and gets his journals, then is confronted by Boba Fett
I read a ton of the others too, all good stuff being put out. The new Vader series is great, as is the older series

Yeah, I thought it was neat how they were doing a pretty good job of filling in plot holes you didnt even know existed. Like Vader knowing Luke is his son. I like the Star Wars comic. Its good, not great, it has some really high points. But the Darth Vader shit is really good and the 25 issue run + Vader Down mini series by Keiran Gillon is fantastic.

Luke should have been like "hahah gotcha! Truth is the caretakers and I smoke this hallucinogenic plant, have a rave, and get shlammered every weekend. You really think I'd come to the most unfindable place in the galaxy and not make the most of it. Have fun fighting the First Order."
Ah

Yeah remember that Death sticks scene?

Thats why I said "current Canon". As in the post purge EU. Expanded universe isnt a trademarked term as far as I know. I dunno why we cant refer to it when talking about the .....expanded.....universe....of the Star Wars stories.

Mentioning the books is by default mentioning the expanded universe. What im referring to is the current run of Marvels Star Wars comics.
I will admit when I first read the post and saw EU I thought you were referring to Legends. But saw the current canon part, and realized you were talking about things outside the movies.
So you’re reading the new Vader series too? Can’t wait to see him build the new hilt. He’s still using the one he stole from that Jedi.
The last issue was ok, was expecting more of a story line for Jocasta

Yeah, I thought it was neat how they were doing a pretty good job of filling in plot holes you didnt even know existed. Like Vader knowing Luke is his son. I like the Star Wars comic. Its good, not great, it has some really high points. But the Darth Vader shit is really good and the 25 issue run + Vader Down mini series by Keiran Gillon is fantastic.
And that part is great, when Vader finds out. If I remember correctly, the glass starts shattering in the Star Destroyer because he’s so pissed that Palpatine withheld that info

I will admit when I first read the post and saw EU I thought you were referring to Legends. But saw the current canon part, and realized you were talking about things outside the movies.
So you’re reading the new Vader series too? Can’t wait to see him build the new hilt. He’s still using the one he stole from that Jedi.
The last issue was ok, was expecting more of a story line for Jocasta

Yeah. The new Vader series is good. But Gillons runs was just nothing short of spectacular.

I understand your point of view... but it's very confusing to refer to "Canon books" as "Expanded Universe"... because they officially named all "expanded universe" books as non-canon. (or as they have been re-named... "Legends.") So you can see the confusion when you refer to a Canon book as "expanded universe." It just doesn't work. They are 2 very different things. One is considered real to the star wars universe... & the other is not. They are actually opposites of each other & so cannot be named the same. I'm suggesting you find another term you're happy with.

So what you're saying is that anything that isn't in the movies should be considered separate?

I don't know bro. I get the Canon universe. It involves all media types... from after Oct. 2012... & it all tells the overall story. Are you like rebelling against the Non-movie Canon universe?

Back