STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Update: January 24, 2018

Brief Footage of a Major Deleted Scene from STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

One of the biggest deleted scenes involves another lesson Luke Skywalker gives to Rey, taking place chronologically after they talk inside the cave where Luke mentions Darth Sidious. Rey notices boats arriving at the island and there appears to be a big fire from where they’re landing. Luke tells her that it is a group of bandits who regularly come back to the island to plunder and kill the caretakers. Rey is very concerned and wants to help them, but Luke tells her that if you help them now, the raiders will come back stronger and it will make things worse in the future. He asks Rey if she is always going to be here to protect them, saying that a true Jedi Knight would do nothing and would only act to maintain balance, even when people get hurt.

Rey, furious at his reasoning, ignites her lightsaber and runs really fast, a Force-powered run that we glimpsed in one of the featurettes about the making of the film (see the screenshot at the top of this article). She runs over rocks on shallow water and bursts through a door with her saber into the village square ready for battle. Luke yells for her to wait, but she doesn’t stop.

She is surprised to learn that it’s not a raiding party, but an actual party, with caretakers celebrating and swinging glow sticks. This piece of concept art from The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi shows what the scene looks like. The caretakers all stop and look at Rey, confused. One of the caretaker motions her her glow stick and Rey swings her lightsaber, imitating her movements, and sighs. The caretakers resume partying. Rey spots Chewbacca sitting at the party with a bunch of Porgs and R2-D2 (wearing a festive necklace). “Seriously?” Rey says to Chewie before storming out to find Luke.

Rey is mad that Luke lied to her and she confronts him. He admits that he’s sorry, but that she ran so fast and he couldn’t stop her. Rey says that she thought they were in danger and tried to do something. Luke responds, seriously this time, that that’s exactly what the resistance needs – not some old husk of a failed religion. He was again trying to teach her a lesson. Rey cries, explaining that her real friends are really dying and “that old legend of Luke Skywalker that you hate so much, I believed in it.” Luke is in shock. He realizes that he pushed her too far. Rey tells him she was wrong about believing in him and storms away.

The scene gave a further motive for Rey to want to leave the island. The caretaker party joke apparently wasn’t very funny, but the real reason the scene apparently didn’t make the final cut is that Luke ended up coming off like an even bigger asshole. Even though the basic details were approved by the Lucasfilm Story Group, it somehow didn’t feel authentic to the Jedi “code”.

IMG_2380-700x319.jpg

IMG_7169-700x340.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-deleted-scenes/

Caretakers having toy lightsaber fights. Anyone still want to argue that they aren't Johnson's metaphor for the fans?

Got it... that big scene with Rey running down the beach was meant to be a big sh*t on Luke scene... but they decided they sh*t on him enough... & so they cut it. No problem... can we rewind & I suggest several other scenes as well?

One of the biggest deleted scenes involves another lesson Luke Skywalker gives to Rey, taking place chronologically after they talk inside the cave where Luke mentions Darth Sidious. Rey notices boats arriving at the island and there appears to be a big fire from where they’re landing. Luke tells her that it is a group of bandits who regularly come back to the island to plunder and kill the caretakers. Rey is very concerned and wants to help them, but Luke tells her that if you help them now, the raiders will come back stronger and it will make things worse in the future. He asks Rey if she is always going to be here to protect them, saying that a true Jedi Knight would do nothing and would only act to maintain balance, even when people get hurt.

Rey, furious at his reasoning, ignites her lightsaber and runs really fast, a Force-powered run that we glimpsed in one of the featurettes about the making of the film (see the screenshot at the top of this article). She runs over rocks on shallow water and bursts through a door with her saber into the village square ready for battle. Luke yells for her to wait, but she doesn’t stop.

She is surprised to learn that it’s not a raiding party, but an actual party, with caretakers celebrating and swinging glow sticks. This piece of concept art from The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi shows what the scene looks like. The caretakers all stop and look at Rey, confused. One of the caretaker motions her her glow stick and Rey swings her lightsaber, imitating her movements, and sighs. The caretakers resume partying. Rey spots Chewbacca sitting at the party with a bunch of Porgs and R2-D2 (wearing a festive necklace). “Seriously?” Rey says to Chewie before storming out to find Luke.

Rey is mad that Luke lied to her and she confronts him. He admits that he’s sorry, but that she ran so fast and he couldn’t stop her. Rey says that she thought they were in danger and tried to do something. Luke responds, seriously this time, that that’s exactly what the resistance needs – not some old husk of a failed religion. He was again trying to teach her a lesson. Rey cries, explaining that her real friends are really dying and “that old legend of Luke Skywalker that you hate so much, I believed in it.” Luke is in shock. He realizes that he pushed her too far. Rey tells him she was wrong about believing in him and storms away.

The scene gave a further motive for Rey to want to leave the island. The caretaker party joke apparently wasn’t very funny, but the real reason the scene apparently didn’t make the final cut is that Luke ended up coming off like an even bigger asshole. Even though the basic details were approved by the Lucasfilm Story Group, it somehow didn’t feel authentic to the Jedi “code”.

IMG_2380-700x319.jpg

IMG_7169-700x340.jpg

So those old nun-type caretakers of the island like to party with glow sticks?

They should have included that scene to make it extra clear that Luke is looney tunes.

They should have included that scene to make it extra clear that Luke is looney tunes.

Luke should have been like "hahah gotcha! Truth is the caretakers and I smoke this hallucinogenic plant, have a rave, and get shlammered every weekend. You really think I'd come to the most unfindable place in the galaxy and not make the most of it. Have fun fighting the First Order."

IMG_2380-700x319.jpg

IMG_7169-700x340.jpg

That scene certainly wouldn't have made the film better or make any more sense.

Maybe they could have had Rey in her force-induced speed (?) burst into the party and inadvertently cut the party cake in half. The Caretakers give their long-suffering look of aggravation toward her for fucking up again and Luke is like, "You see- the Jedi are supposed to do good but in their haste, fuck things up."

ignites her lightsaber and runs really fast, a Force-powered run that we glimpsed in one of the featurettes about the making of the film

Force - run ? something lesser then what we saw in the prequels then, that everyone forgot or ignored in Ep 1.

I so wanted that scene oh well still happy if they put it on bluray/youtube.

Bww1ml.gif

Could have left it. Would not hurt. Maybe that, in conjunction with some other ACTUAL training would have made it more solid. Problem is they already made her Jedi strong in the first.. The only saving grace is a big reveal regarding previous training in the next movie. They MUST, and I mean MUST, address Ren saying "it IS you" at the end of TFA.

Fuck that.

For Breaking Bad fans, Ozymandias was directed by Rian. Looks like a broken clock IS right twice a day.

Funny thing I noticed today, my kid wanted to watch menace.

People are complaining a out luke saying laser sword, now Lucas says that that’s what they were called in the original script

But also anakin calls qui-gons lightsaber a laser sword in the movie.

So “laser sword” was already canon.

“I thought it was funny however the way luke says it)

Could have left it. Would not hurt. Maybe that, in conjunction with some other ACTUAL training would have made it more solid. Problem is they already made her Jedi strong in the first.. The only saving grace is a big reveal regarding previous training in the next movie. They MUST, and I mean MUST, address Ren saying "it IS you" at the end of TFA.
It was explained in the books that Rey had been training most of her life on Jakku in combat... Specifically staff fighting. Her skills were so well known on Jakku that most people didn't f*ck with her. Agreed that some more Jedi training would've been good, but I got no problem thinking she can translate staff fighting to the light saber. Especially with the force awakening in her.

"it IS you"
Kylo & Snoke were expecting a light side force user to step up now that they had unleashed the dark side through mass genocide. They had an understanding that the force just balances itself out that way. That's what Snoke meant when he said "the dark rises... & the light to meet it." So the 2 of them were not only expecting someone... they were speculating it was Luke. That's why they were so gung ho to find Luke.

To both of their surprise it turned out to be Rey. The "it IS you" statement is referring to that recognition. Like during the mind meld scene, he knew she was strong... but it wasn't till that moment in the forest that he realized that she was the one to balance their darkness rising.

That's how I took it anywayz.

@One MMA Fan @EvilDDS what do you make out of the "it IS you" statement at the end of TFA?

@One MMA Fan @EvilDDS what do you make out of the "it IS you" statement at the end of TFA?

Not sure, we can't exactly pinpoint and be 100% sure about it.

With books we don't exactly know how that came to be, could it be the author's own ideas, the story group, the director, the company, was he/she was working with a script that got changed along the way, setting up something for the future but Rian decided to go in another direction etc etc a lot of options.

That scene certainly wouldn't have made the film better or make any more sense.

Agreed.

I go as far as to say it's better that they took it out and left us wondering what the third lesson was.

Force - run ? something lesser then what we saw in the prequels then, that everyone forgot or ignored in Ep 1.

I so wanted that scene oh well still happy if they put it on bluray/youtube.

Bww1ml.gif
Oh yeah, It's actually known as "The Force Dash."

Surprising they don't use it more if they got the ability. I guess Obi or Yoda never taught Luke that one. They did teach him to "force jump" like when Luke jumped out of the cryochamber.

I'll bet with a bit of practice they could also do a team effort thing too. Like using a "force throw".... Obi throws Jinn at the same time as Jinn throws Obi... both in the same direction at the same time as they "Force Dash." Would be like a "Super Force Dash." :D

@EvilDDS What do you think about the Super Force Dash? You think Kylo & Rey could work on that some day while lounging on the beach or something?

Oh yeah, It's actually known as "The Force Dash."

Surprising they don't use it more if they got the ability. I guess Obi or Yoda never taught Luke that one. They did teach him to "force jump" like when Luke jumped out of the cryochamber.

I'll bet with a bit of practice they could also do a team effort thing too. Like using a "force throw".... Obi throws Jinn at the same time as Jinn throws Obi... both in the same direction at the same time as they "Force Dash." Would be like a "Super Force Dash." :D

@EvilDDS What do you think about the Super Force Dash? You think Kylo & Rey could work on that some day while lounging on the beach or something?

Obi could have used that dash in the end of the movie too.

Kylo and Rey can use a new power together.

Back