STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Lol, not even going to get into the cluster that is this thread.

My feelings summed up:

It's interesting that the more I watched the Clone Wars series, the worse the sequels got. Granted they have much more time to go into anakin as a character, but even in 22 minute bite sized chunks I feel like they made more headway.

I genuinely liked 80% of the clone wars series, some is fodder but generally good stories. I went in skeptical and came out impressed.

Lets put this into some IMDB perspective.

These 4's (or even 5's really) or lower scores are saying this movie is worse then Buffy the Vampire Slayer, A Very Brady Sequel, Along Came Polly, Charlie’s Angels, Crocodile Dundee In Los Angeles, , Ghost Rider, Jason X. I could go on.

Get your heads out of your asses.
A big reason why i find it hard to take 1-10 polls seriously is that people don't seem to actually use the numbers in a way that makes sense.
A 5 should be average. It's right in the middle. It's not a terrible movie, it is just average.
A 4 is not a terrible score, it means the movie was below average.
TLJ is not far off from Ghost Rider, Along Came Polly, or Buffy, as far as I'm concerned. There were things in all of those movies i liked, but they weren't 100% terrible movies. TLJ wasn't terrible, there were things i liked, but it was an average movie for me. I gave it a 5. And i only gave it that high a score because it is visually well done.
I'd give it a 4 if i was judging the content.

A big reason why i find it hard to take 1-10 polls seriously is that people don't seem to actually use the numbers in a way that makes sense.
A 5 should be average. It's right in the middle. It's not a terrible movie, it is just average.
TLJ is not far off from Ghost Rider, Along Came Polly, or Buffy, as far as I'm concerned. There were things in all of those movies i liked, but they weren't 100% terrible movies. TLJ wasn't terrible, there were things i liked, but it was an average movie for me. I gave it a 5. And i only gave it that high a score because it is visually well done.
I'd give it a 4 if i was judging the content.
This is a really good reply and very perceptive (for lack of words). I took all those movies from a list of movies that people thought were reviewed unfairly.

The numbers are in boys! After one full week this is now the 2nd fastest grossing movie of all time!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...osser-ever-behind-force-awakens/#7910eedd7cf4
also it's crashing the hardest out of every single star wars movie. rogue one is on pace to beat it depending on how it does in Asia where star wars isn't very liked. not good considering rogue one was a bunch of nobodies and this has luke, Yoda, all the main characters.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...ng-the-worst-holds-of-all-9-star-wars-movies/
maybe you'll learn to read it this time

Even though it may have sounded like Mark Hamill came down hard on the decisions made for his character, seems he's always had an opinionated stance with his material and has never been afraid to express himself.

If you score 50% on a school exam, is that average?

I wrote a longer thing, but everyone else has kind of said what I would have said already. Overall I give it an 8.5/10 which has gone down from the 9.1/10 I felt immediately after watching it. I've watched and read a lot of reviews and have also reviewed how I feel about it myself. I largely agree with Kevin Smith's review he posted on Youtube. He liked it a lot and even cried at some parts that were particularly well written, but disagreed with some of the plot points and the pacing. Basically he accepted this Star Wars is not the old Star Wars.

A few really good things that stood out to me were firstly some aspects of the character development of the new trilogy characters. I care about Finn way more now than I did in the first one, and his big scene at the end gave me chills. I also really liked the direction of Kylo's character in TLJ, whereas in TFA I really didn't. Next, I loved that Snoke room scene, both the action and then the acting by Daisy and Adam. We were all clapping and getting pumped. Very fun, and then the end of the scene is really heartbreaking. Also, the opening battle sequence. That was really cool, it felt like I was watching an episode of Rebels, but on a much grander and epic scale.

Some stuff that I have issues with that I'm sure has been talked about already. I agree with Mark Hamill and his disagreements with the writing of his character. It doesn't seem that plausible that he would give up on everything because of his failure with Ben. The Rose character was fine mostly, but I didn't really buy the love interest aspect, albeit I didn't buy it between Finn and Rey in TLJ either. I strongly disagreed with Luke's reaction to the lightsaber in the beginning, that did not make sense and it screwed up the setting of the tone of the movie.

None of the theory not coming true stuff impacted me at all, I deliberately stay away from theory and speculation, and did so in particular for this. Rey's parentage reveal was fine and made sense to me and so did what they did with the Snoke character.

I had fun and liked it a lot, but definitely could have been better. A big part of me thinks this sequel trilogy shouldn't even exist, they should have just made a brand new story, not a continuation of the original trilogy. Glad they are going to do that now, but would have liked Luke, Leia, and Han's stories to end with ROTJ.

I'll bring the movie back around to an aspect that's central to you. Were you impressed by the "heart" of The Last Jedi?

"Heart" is a hard thing to define, but I usually think the sense of heart is generated by things like likable characters, a noble goal that our heroes are trying to achieve, well-placed humor, a rousing score, and an effective sense of high-adventure.

I think this film is mostly successful in these areas.

Empire at #3?
New Hope at #8?

giphy.gif

@Dragonlordxxxxx can we get some dubs here please?

To be fair, I'm still working out my rankings in my head. Empire could end up at #2. It will not end up at #1 though.

As for A New Hope, yeah, I mean, it's not actually that great of a movie. It only makes sense that the weaker entries will fall toward the bottom.

Back