Locked STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI v.2 (First Critics Reviews Are Here; George Lucas' Reaction)

What did you think of the latest trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw The Last Jedi. Not that good.

The Force Awakens wasn't that great but after watching The Last Jedi, I guarantee you'll have more appreciation for TFA in comparison.

(Full review later)
fuck man :(

I really liked the force awakens so maybe I'll like this one? I want to enjoy it

From the fan responses I'm seeing, people will either love it or hate it.

So excited. Can't wait to see the Star Wars Fandom Civil War this movie creates.

The Force Awakens wasn't that great but after watching The Last Jedi, I guarantee you'll have more appreciation for TFA in comparison.

(Full review later)

Holy shit.

<{jackyeah}>

I have to see this review.

Like I said, if this movie isn't st least a 7.5 out of 10, those preliminary reactions are forever in the trash.. And this time, we can't forget.

Tfa was a 7.5 out of 10 for me..

Like I said, if this movie isn't st least a 7.5 out of 10, those preliminary reactions are forever in the trash.. And this time, we can't forget.

Tfa was a 7.5 out of 10 for me..

They're not preliminary anymore.

Across the board this is getting monster reviews. RT is at 201 reviews with 95%!!!

Metacritic which is much more stringent is at 86/100 with 50 top critic reviews. That is a higher score than Dark Knight!

Lets wait for DL's review to hear some specifics. I respect his opinion no matter what and will obviously make up my own mind later tonight.

Last edited:
The best Star Wars I've seen. Love the twists. I felt some sense of dread somewhat similar to Empire Strikes Back. Fun to watch, though some conflicts ought to be resolved in the next film. But what has SJW had anything to do with it?

I read the plot, doesn't sound too good but I'll still give it a go

(Full review later)
Account hacked!! This can't be DL. I refuse to believe.

(Full review later)
Holy shit.

TFA was the drizzling shits, so TLJ must be pretty fucking terrible.

Hollywood is seriously fucking up movies with political jargon. TLJ is crammed with SJW crap.

The movie should have been called "Star Wars - The Last Social Justice Warriors"
Oh no. I mean I was expecting some considering Disney and the first one but that shit pisses me off like you can’t believe. How bad was it?

I hope Dragonlord and I can fight about this

Just went to see this. Like many I am a huge fan of the OT and not so much the prequel trilogy.

I'm struggling a bit with this movie. I enjoyed TFA at the cinema but not so much on repeat viewing. I really liked Rogue one.

TLJ I'm a bit conflicted. There was parts I liked about this movie. It felt somehow disjointed to me tho.

Maybe it wasn't what I was expecting and that is not always a good thing.

Basically the more I think about this film it is derivative while trying to be different. It's better hidden than in TFA and jumbled up. Like they wanted to do an ESB but put scenes in reverse/different order, threw a few curve balls in there and had to squeeze in something huge in the end which left the whole thing feeling a bit rushed in places and too long at the same time. Opening crawl was also not very good imo.

As expected the special effects were good (wish I'd waited a couple of hours to watch in IMAX 3D), music fantastic. There were parts I really enjoyed. Parts left me scratching my head.

I wouldn't say I was hugely disappointed but somewhat dissatisfied especially with parts of the plot. I'd say it was about as enjoyable as my re-watch of TFA and not as good as Rogue One.

The last time I left a cinema feeling like this was Prometheus. I really wanted to like it, I somewhat enjoyed it, I'm a fan of the source material, there were parts I liked, parts I didn't and I may have to watch it again anyway as coming off a night shift probably isn't the bet time to enjoy the cinema.

I grew up on Star Wars and for me this was the worst of all Star Wars films. Yes, even the prequels.

At least TFA got the essence of Star Wars right. This had potential but completely blew it.
It was too long because of the who gives a fuck adventures of Finn and random asian girl.
None of the big questions were answered. There is no hook for the next episode unless you really want to know the answer to a couple questions which should have been resolved here.
I did think Rey and Kylo were good in their roles and I enjoyed the island scenes with Luke but the overall story was just uninteresting.

Man, you guys are seriously lowering my expectations for this movie.

really loved this a lot until the Holy Shit Kylo+Rey vs the Guards because their connection was the most interesting part in the film up to that point.

Deconstructing the Jedi's via Luke's disappointment, deconstructing the Sith by building Snoke as an unbeatable force and then have him slashed in half, Rey's conflict with the dark side, Kylo's obvious pull with the light manifesting in saving Rey as well as withholding the fire when he attacked the ship with his mother. When Rey threw the lightsaber to Kylo and he killed the last guard i was so excited i could barely contain myself! And after all that, after saving each other's life's multiple time a few moment prior, after their attempts to understand each other, they fight for the lightsaber so they can kill one another, Kylo becomes the new Sith, Rey's obviously the Jedi, and every interesting conflict and development vanished. Stay with me and we're going to rule the galaxy?!? Really?
rolleyes.gif
They could have gone literally everywhere else with the story at that point and of course they chose the most banal, childish, uninteresting one because how else will there ever be a sequel that needs an obvious bad guy and an obvious cliffhanger? This was radical?!?!

There's no character development whatsoever. Plot twists do not constitute character development.

In The Force Awakens, Kylo was an angry, conflicted person that ended up making the bad choice. In The Last Jedi, Kylo is an angry, conflicted person that makes the same choice again. He learns nothing along the way. Instead of showing that Luke was wrong with his assessment, that even though he had a lot of darkness in him, it didn't necessarily mean that he would succumb to it, positing that the bad things he did up until that point were more or less a consequence of Luke betraying him, he becomes a generic bad guy that wants to kill and destroy...because he's just bad. Driver is terrific, with a lesser actor Kylo would Anakin-level disliked.

In The Force Awakens, Rey was an archetype that's a master mechanic/pilot/swordsman/Force user with zero training, a kind, compassionate, righteous, courageous person. You can't possibly fit more attributes in a single character. The excuse was to ''wait for the sequels'' as it would be explained that she obviously had training and doesn't remember it and/or comes from a lineage of strong Force users. It turns out she neither has any training nor she comes from a strong lineage, which makes her sword mastery even more laughable. There's a half-hearted attempt to make her fight the darkness which amounts to nothing. You can't grow as a character when you're perfect to begin with. The scene where she lifts the rocks at the end should be a WOW moment, but she was doing remarkable things by the end of TFA, received no training here, so it's neither surprising or impressive.

Finn does the same thing in both films, runs a lot, makes jokes, wants to escape from it all but in the end he stays and acts courageously. That's all there is to him.

Resistance, Empire, Rebellion, First Order, rinse repeat, one goes down, another rises, they had a chance to break the cycle here and make something a lot more interesting and they didn't.

TLDR: A big disappointment.

Star Wars : The Last Jedi. The part about the Last Jedi was surprisingly enjoyable, the part about the Star Wars is a steaming pile of shit.

Everything the Resistance ever did in that film was stupid, boring and pointless. Poe, Leia and Finn are just filling time and none of their action has any impact on the development of the whole story. Their scenes suck and make no sense. Just let them die and let Rey handle by herself the fate of the galaxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back