Locked STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI v.2 (First Critics Reviews Are Here; George Lucas' Reaction)

What did you think of the latest trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure Kylo is going to get his ass kicked again and possibly killed this time. He's such a can.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree about the script, but Ep7's directing is 10/10.

Its strange that everyone blamed Zack Snyder for BvS's gigantic script problems.

And NOBODY is blaming the directors of each of GoT's S7 directors for this season's scripts being shit.

Say what you want about Episode 7, and I'll probably agree with most of it, but JJ's directing was it's one aspect that shouldn't be addressed as a complaint because it discredits the rest of the movie's issues, and you'd be viewed as a hater/nitpicker.

Oh I'm with you on this one JJ for all his problems is absolutely great at all the other things, he puts out quality top of the line work.

That last fight scene in the forest / snow.. the angle the care for details the color pallets, the camera work etc etc you can clearly see they put in their best effort into it.

I posted that video link a few posts up.. they go over this, JJ is among the best directors in the business with this type of stuff.

GOT didn't have his top directors ready for this season and I think they were felt we will see some clear differences in the next season.

I feel you have nose envy.

<Kpop775>
bd2401ed51b29f607b198db6197c344e99828e7dfe3169d482eba07cae0f3d6e.jpg

Yeah, I watch it.... & I'm pretty stoked... We all know where it ties in, (start of Rogue One) so lots of interesting stories inter-weaving is expected. With the final season conveniently starting up just prior to Ep. 8's release, I would expect some cool background stuff for that.

• Saw G's back story has been leaked & is expected & maybe more Jinn info or at least references.
  • Looks like the new Star Wars is down with the Whills... so expecting a lot of back story there. (saw's planet) Would be nice to see an animated Donnie Yen & the temple before it got over-run by the empire... or even show the story of that planet's occupation. Perhaps even them taking the whills off the planet for protection & hiding them in a... (wait for it)
    In a tree.
iu

Chirrut on the Ghost transporting the Whills to Ahch-To seemz pretty cool to me. Perhaps even summoning Bendu to protect them.

convoree-bendu-star-wars-rebels-234046.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

0enVN4H.jpg
  • Would love some more Bendu in the mix.
  • Captain of the Ghost Hera Syndulla waz mentioned over the loudspeaker in Rogue One as "General"... so obviously the Ghost is going to make a change from being an independent fighter, to being a key player in the organized rebellion.
  • Will get some Twi'lek on Human action with her & Kanan :eek:
  • Everyone's favorite Togruta hottie Ahsoka Tano is expected to be alive... & we would all love a nice roll for her. Not being in 4 - 6 or Rougue One though would suggest that she actually will die. However, If they can explain why she wasn't in those movies, but is still alive... then it might be cool to see a 70 year old Ahsoka in Ep. 8 break out the White Saberz. Perhaps Darth Vader saved her life after beating her down & then kept her imprisoned as his pet or something. Perhaps he just throws her in a dungeon somewhere & forgets about her, but saving her life is a nod to his good side showing through.
  • A Princess Leia appearance in Dec. might be nice for sentiments going into Ep. 8
  • Of coarse the last Rebels ep is expected to lead directly into Rogue One
  • Jinn had a hell of a time convincing the rebels to rock up... so I would expect a major ass kicking goes down against them just prior to Rogue one.
  • How about a Snoke appearance?
<TheWire1>

There's so many questions about who survives the Rebels series & what happened to them, so we'll get quite a few answers there. The Ghost appearing in Rogue One doesn't mean the whole crew is on there. We know Hera & Chopper are still around, but the others weren't mentioned.

Obviously Thrawn not being in Rogue One is a nod to him dying. Would enjoy a nice double cross by Tarkin for that one... just to give Tarkin some more validity... but that's just a guess. Would be cool to see Tarkin getting cozy with the Emperor to help explain his back talk to Vader in ep. 4. Just saying that Tarkin needs to be built up. Him & Vader are like equal rank in ep 4... perhaps Tarkin even feels superior. So why is that? give us some backstory there. Double crossing Thrawn at the request of the emperor would be nice.

@One MMA Fan might need to rock up for at least this season to catch some of the story tie ins that he's going to miss if he doesn't watch it.

If Thrawn dies, we riot.

Send him back to the Unknown Regions and keep him for a return in a later film or season.

Rogue One was meh.

What were the character arcs of the main players?

Why should I have cared about the relationship between that girl and her father?

How does kung fu fit into the star wars verse?

Why the fuck did we need to see fan service cameo's every other scene?

CGI Tarkin was distracting and I lost track of what he was trying to say because I kept focusing in on everything wrong with his face.

Why did that dude with the metal legs not get into the ship...it was right there.

I'm probably parroting allot of RLM's issues with that movie but that's because I seem to be on the same page as them. As are allot of people given their view rates.

You are free to have your own opinion of course.

I'd say the character arcs of the film were far stronger than TFA, they didn't conform as much to the kind of simplistic archtypes RLM prefer to push but the film was vastly more focused on developing them.

You look at Rey accepting the force at the end of TFA and what does that mean? Maz had told her she had some force ability about half an hour previously but beyond rejecting it we never discovered what it meant to her nore indeed what finding Luke meant to her, the weight of these events depended almost totally on nostalgia which is very lazy film making. Basically Rey is thrown around by the plot rather than driving it as should be the case in well made cinema, she's almost entirely reactive.

Compare that to Jyn in Rogue One, we see her orphaned and then abandoned at the start of the film holding a cynical viewpoint with reguards to any larger cause as a result. During the film though she discovers that what she thought of as betrayals by Saw and her father were not actually so, her father then tells her to go after the Deathstar(which she's seen in action) plans with his dying breath. The end result is that the character shifts from a self focused cynic to someone who dies selflessly for the cause both her parents died for.

Last edited:
Didn't seem like the right fit anyway, probably for the best.

Fantastic news that that turd is out.

But Trevorrow is a complete hack fraud? why wouldn't Disney keep him?

I have to say, Im actually happy about this. I was always had a bit of trepidation regarding Trevorrow. I felt like Jurrassic World was a fun enough romp of Dino-pocalypse but it was devoid of anything other than neat scenes of Dino-peril. If thats what you're in the mood for, fine. But that's not the tone I want for the final part of a SW trilogy that had such a strong start. Also, JW by the numbers presentation had me worried about the new trilogy simply following the same formula and ultimately being "Yay, we win! Hooray!". I feel like they could end on a darker note, like what Lucas originally envisioned for the first trilogy.

I think ultimately the overwhelming financial success of JW sort of shot Trevarrow to a tier of accomplishment he doesnt really deserve.

Update: September 5, 2017

THE LAST JEDI's Rian Johnson Frontrunner to Direct STAR WARS: EPISODE IX

geyhdOj.jpg

Put Rian Johnson atop the short list of directors who might replace the recently departed Colin Trevorrow in Star Wars: Episode IX. Insiders said that nothing is done yet, but that prospect is certainly in the air right now.

The Looper helmer fit seamlessly into the Lucasfilm machine, which is no small feat given the number of star directors who’ve been chewed up and spat out under the “creative difference” line in exiting Star Wars movies.

Deadline was first to report that Ron Howard was top choice to replace Phil Lord & Chris Miller as director of the Han Solo spinoff movie, and that came to pass. If Johnson, who directed the December 15-launching Star Wars: The Last Jedi, does in fact come back to take the reins of the next movie, it would somehow seem like destiny. When Deadline revealed that the Looper helmer was being hired to take on Star Wars, the original intention was for him to direct two movies. Stay tuned. It might come to pass.

The other takeaway regarding the exit of Trevorrow, it is that when it comes to the billion-dollar Disney silo machine, the auteur director takes a back seat to the star studio chief. In this collision of art and extreme commerce, directors who are changeable are the ones who succeed in these kinds of films.

We’ve seen Marvel’s Kevin Feige replace directors of Marvel superhero movies and rule with an authoritative my-way-or-the-highway mind-set that has led to an unprecedented string of audience-pleasing blockbuster hits. We are seeing the same thing with Kathy Kennedy on the Lucasfilm side. We’ve now seen the Jurassic World helmer Trevorrow follow Lord and Miller out the door, which followed the previous exit of Josh Trank. And the sort-of exit of Gareth Edwards, who completed principal photography on the spinoff Rogue One, but it is the worst kept secret in Hollywood that Tony Gilroy supervised the directing of the re-shoots that put Rogue One back on track as another billion-dollar grossing Star Wars film.

Rian Johnson Might Return For ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’?

Update: September 5, 2017

THE LAST JEDI's Rian Johnson Frontrunner to Direct STAR WARS: EPISODE IX

geyhdOj.jpg

Put Rian Johnson atop the short list of directors who might replace the recently departed Colin Trevorrow in Star Wars: Episode IX. Insiders said that nothing is done yet, but that prospect is certainly in the air right now.

The Looper helmer fit seamlessly into the Lucasfilm machine, which is no small feat given the number of star directors who’ve been chewed up and spat out under the “creative difference” line in exiting Star Wars movies.

Deadline was first to report that Ron Howard was top choice to replace Phil Lord & Chris Miller as director of the Han Solo spinoff movie, and that came to pass. If Johnson, who directed the December 15-launching Star Wars: The Last Jedi, does in fact come back to take the reins of the next movie, it would somehow seem like destiny. When Deadline revealed that the Looper helmer was being hired to take on Star Wars, the original intention was for him to direct two movies. Stay tuned. It might come to pass.

The other takeaway regarding the exit of Trevorrow, it is that when it comes to the billion-dollar Disney silo machine, the auteur director takes a back seat to the star studio chief. In this collision of art and extreme commerce, directors who are changeable are the ones who succeed in these kinds of films.

We’ve seen Marvel’s Kevin Feige replace directors of Marvel superhero movies and rule with an authoritative my-way-or-the-highway mind-set that has led to an unprecedented string of audience-pleasing blockbuster hits. We are seeing the same thing with Kathy Kennedy on the Lucasfilm side. We’ve now seen the Jurassic World helmer Trevorrow follow Lord and Miller out the door, which followed the previous exit of Josh Trank. And the sort-of exit of Gareth Edwards, who completed principal photography on the spinoff Rogue One, but it is the worst kept secret in Hollywood that Tony Gilroy supervised the directing of the re-shoots that put Rogue One back on track as another billion-dollar grossing Star Wars film.

Rian Johnson Might Return For ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’?

Lets wait to see the quality of Ep8 before celebrating or condemning this, if he's the pick.

Honestly though it does make a lot of sense, TFA felt like more of a one off film to me where as episodes 8 and 9 are likely to be much more closely linked.

If TLJ is shit. this is bad. it means Disney found their "Richard Marquand" to round out the series

if TLJ is suprisingly original and good... it means Disney realized where they went wrong with Rogue One/TFA/Han Solo and trust in RJ's vision

Makes sense to do this though...a series looks great when its all directed by one guy with an overall vision.

just look at True Detective season 1 compared to season 2.... S1 was a cohesive unit that all shared the same style and look....S2 was a mess of different artistic visions/styles mashed to replicate the lightning in a bottle that was S1.

Will have to wait and see TLJ before this is bad news or good news

Stuckman is great but he let me down with the Rogue One analysis.. I got no problem that he didn't like it, no problem each has their own opinion but the way he handled those reviews / later analysis video was bellow his usual quality.

Did you see Stuckman's TFA analysis video ? now that is way better done.

Red Letter Media guys slammed Rogue One very harshly with some things I agree with others I don't. You kinda need to be in tune with their way of doing stuff the over cynical humor if you don't vibe with it the you will think they are just condescending assholes. They are not for all that's for sure I've been trying to get my buddy into them for some time but he refuses. :D He will probably like this post when he sees it.

Did any of you guys experiences this type of event with watching the new movies ?

So at first viewing of TFA I was so so about 7/10 then with more viewings I got to enjoy it a lot more got it ranked higher 8/10 even and I absolutely love the new girl lead.

With Rogue One's first viewing I was so pumped and enjoy it a lot more let say 8.5/10 but now almost a year over after repeated viewings I enjoy it a lot less then TFA maybe it's the story or lack of.. the characters all ending up dead I don't know it's not the same fun ride like I had the first time I'm more into 7/10 territory with it now.

Curios to see if others experiences any of the same with the movies ?

How will we look at this movies say 5 or 10 years down the line when we aren't so close to the event itself, history shows us plenty of movies that get forgotten and other ones rise to be true masterpieces like for example The Thing from the 80's.
Remember that crazy Avatar fever ? well how about now do you watch it at least 1 time a year and say it's a masterpiece ? I sure don't.

Also TFA is so close connected to this new Ep. 8 coming out if this one fails then it lowers EP. 7 with it also but it its real good then it will boost the first one too.
I have experienced not enjoying a movie as much after a 2nd or 3rd viewing. Actually, I speak out against Ep 4 - 6 being all that after god only knows how many viewings... A couple years ago, I watched 1 - 6 one after the other... & the original trilogy just seemed old & a bit stale to me for the first time ever. The lack of plot really stuck out to me after the incredible plot presented in 1 - 3.

Don't get me wrong... 4 - 6 will always hold a special place in my heart because they introduced me to the world & they do have great characters & a very ominous "big bad" presence... but I would say that the whole original trilogy have probably backed off a notch for me a hair... if I were to rate it.

Rogue One is an absolutely perfect lead in to Ep 4. I literally felt like I was watching Ep. 4 for the 1st time when I popped in in straight after seeing Rogue One in the theater. Emotionally I suppose... I obviously knew the story, but the sacrifice of Rogue One made me feel different things about Ep 4... & so Rogue One has kept its place for me.

I'm cool with Ep 7... I think a lot of people are jumping the gun & were expecting things that it didn't give them & so a lot of people are put off by it. I feel about the same as when I first saw it. I like it a lot. I think it will all make a lot more sense when it's tied into 8 & 9 & that the plot holes being filled will allow Ep. 7 haters to reflect back & finally find some appreciation for it.

They just got too excited for the first star wars movie in a long time to come out & were licking their chops with expectation but it was basically just a casual ride through the star wars universe. I think critics overlook the fact that a star wars movie is pretty much an automatic 7 out of 10 just for being in that universe & having the budget to make grand scenes n stuff. If you enjoyed it even a little bit, it's an 8 out of 10. I think this movie will edge up in everyone's rating system once it's tied into the next couple movies.

When Luke fought Vader for the first time in Empire, he got his ass handed to him. It wasn't even a close fight. That meant by the time of Return, we knew that Luke was facing an opponent who had already besmirched(and maimed)him before. Sure, we know Luke's the Good Guy and has to win somehow. But there is genuine tension going into the rematch. Vader is still a GOAT-level Big Bad.

Rey curb-stomped Kylo. She prison raped him. Yes, I know that Kylo was dealing with a major wound, blood loss and the emotional shock of killing his father. But the fact remains that Rey, with no training at all, stomped a mud-hole in his ass. OK, he wasn't fully trained; Snoke is supposed to complete his training. But so what? By the time the rematch happens, Rey will have gone through Jedi Camp with Luke fucking Skywalker as her personal trainer. On paper, the next fight should be even more of a mismatch. Rey should besmirch Kylo again, so where's the tension?
Rey is an elite staff fighter who has had to fight for her very life & she has an aggression & vitality that Kylo doesn't have. Kylo is basically a bored to death spoiled rich kid. You can even hear it in his voice. Ho Hum get me that f*cking droid... etc. I'm gonna throw a fit & destroy this half a million dollar control panel with my light saber when things don't go my way. Kylo is a spoiled rich kid who never had to fight for anything.

So Rey is flowing with vitality & the force is reacting... & she's an elite staff fighter... so crossing over to "half a staff" (the light saber)... isn't that big of a deal. Me & @One MMA Fan are actually speculating on the possibility that her staff comes apart to become a double bladed light saber... but that's just a guess.

As far as the tension being gone for their next confrontation... eh... I think you're not putting enough weight into Kylo's injury & emotional state... & also the fact that he didn't want to kill her... & quite possibly didn't even want to hurt her. So I'd say just give the next movie a chance to fill that gap before you dismiss it.

Rey is an elite staff fighter who has had to fight for her very life & she has an aggression & vitality that Kylo doesn't have. Kylo is basically a bored to death spoiled rich kid. You can even hear it in his voice. Ho Hum get me that f*cking droid... etc. I'm gonna throw a fit & destroy this half a million dollar control panel with my light saber when things don't go my way. Kylo is a spoiled rich kid who never had to fight for anything.

So Rey is flowing with vitality & the force is reacting... & she's an elite staff fighter... so crossing over to "half a staff" (the light saber)... isn't that big of a deal. Me & @One MMA Fan are actually speculating on the possibility that her staff comes apart to become a double bladed light saber... but that's just a guess.

As far as the tension being gone for their next confrontation... eh... I think you're not putting enough weight into Kylo's injury & emotional state... & also the fact that he didn't want to kill her... & quite possibly didn't even want to hurt her. So I'd say just give the next movie a chance to fill that gap before you dismiss it.

xEa6J.gif

landscape-1487362711-rey-smirk.gif

I have experienced not enjoying a movie as much after a 2nd or 3rd viewing. Actually, I speak out against Ep 4 - 6 being all that after god only knows how many viewings... A couple years ago, I watched 1 - 6 one after the other... & the original trilogy just seemed old & a bit stale to me for the first time ever. The lack of plot really stuck out to me after the incredible plot presented in 1 - 3.

Don't get me wrong... 4 - 6 will always hold a special place in my heart because they introduced me to the world & they do have great characters & a very ominous "big bad" presence... but I would say that the whole original trilogy have probably backed off a notch for me a hair... if I were to rate it.

Rogue One is an absolutely perfect lead in to Ep 4. I literally felt like I was watching Ep. 4 for the 1st time when I popped in in straight after seeing Rogue One in the theater. Emotionally I suppose... I obviously knew the story, but the sacrifice of Rogue One made me feel different things about Ep 4... & so Rogue One has kept its place for me.

I'm cool with Ep 7... I think a lot of people are jumping the gun & were expecting things that it didn't give them & so a lot of people are put off by it. I feel about the same as when I first saw it. I like it a lot. I think it will all make a lot more sense when it's tied into 8 & 9 & that the plot holes being filled will allow Ep. 7 haters to reflect back & finally find some appreciation for it.

They just got too excited for the first star wars movie in a long time to come out & were licking their chops with expectation but it was basically just a casual ride through the star wars universe. I think critics overlook the fact that a star wars movie is pretty much an automatic 7 out of 10 just for being in that universe & having the budget to make grand scenes n stuff. If you enjoyed it even a little bit, it's an 8 out of 10. I think this movie will edge up in everyone's rating system once it's tied into the next couple movies.

Every single time you start with that putting down the original trilogy I'm like:

tumblr_nzo4d30Xne1tq3h6co1_500.gif

tumblr_o7jylfW3wL1up42jgo2_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back