Locked STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI v.2 (First Critics Reviews Are Here; George Lucas' Reaction)

What did you think of the latest trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Luke fought Vader for the first time in Empire, he got his ass handed to him. It wasn't even a close fight. That meant by the time of Return, we knew that Luke was facing an opponent who had already besmirched(and maimed)him before. Sure, we know Luke's the Good Guy and has to win somehow. But there is genuine tension going into the rematch. Vader is still a GOAT-level Big Bad.

Rey curb-stomped Kylo. She prison raped him. Yes, I know that Kylo was dealing with a major wound, blood loss and the emotional shock of killing his father. But the fact remains that Rey, with no training at all, stomped a mud-hole in his ass. OK, he wasn't fully trained; Snoke is supposed to complete his training. But so what? By the time the rematch happens, Rey will have gone through Jedi Camp with Luke fucking Skywalker as her personal trainer. On paper, the next fight should be even more of a mismatch. Rey should besmirch Kylo again, so where's the tension?

Kylo will most likely win the next one.

Okay so the first fight result is the problem for you okay then:

- he wasn't trying to kill her at first he wanted to recruit here, use her he wasn't going for the kill 100% he kinda underestimated her was after a certain angle then the shit hit the fan

- earlier in the movie that space bow weapon sent normal dudes flying he took one in the gut

- blood loss was going 24/7 we were shown he was still bleeding like for real he walked all the way out in the snow dripping blood so for real 1 hour or so and freaking Kylo could have died from the blood loss good thing General Sucks to the rescue

- another point you are aware he was emotionally distressed from the patricide

- something with this girl we aren't fully reveal Kylo knew her or spared her in the past I suspect and his big mistake was coming out to bite him in the ass

- this girl was no novice to melee fighting in fact she was doing it from an early age, we were showed earlier she can fight and hold her own in a scrap using the stick.. she had to do it many times and I bet when she lost she lost her meals for the day so she learned and got better and stronger in order to survive in the hard conditions

- Kylo also screwed around with Fin wanting to punish him for his betrayal he even got hurt by him the 'trained from birth trooper' I know it's little but it ads up to all of it

- Rey despite all that she was getting her ass kicked and only till the end when she listened and connected / allowed the force to guide her moves in a way, gave her confidence and clarity

- for her it was revenge for Han and if she loses Fin dies, she probably dies and never gets to reunite with her family and have closure, for her it was all or nothing a very desperate cornered animal type

In closing I could see it plausible how that result could happen.

Last edited:
Kylo will most likely win the next one.

Okay so the first fight result is the problem for you okay then:

- he wasn't trying to kill her at first he wanted to recruit here, use her he wasn't going for the kill 100% he kinda underestimated her was after a certain angle then the shit hit the fan

- earlier in the movie that space bow weapon sent normal dudes flying he took one in the gut

- blood loss was going 24/7 we were shown he was still bleeding like for real he walked all the way out in the snow dripping blood so for real 1 hour or so and freaking Kylo could have died from the blood loss good thing General Sucks to the rescue

- another point you are aware he was emotionally distressed from the patricide

- something with this girl we aren't fully reveal Kylo knew her or spared her in the past I suspect and his big mistake was coming out to bite him in the ass

- this girl was no novice to melee fighting in fact she was doing it from an early age, we were showed earlier she can fight and hold her own in a scrap using the stick.. she had to do it many times and I bet when she lost she lost her meals for the day so she learned and got better and stronger in order to survive in the hard conditions

- Kylo also screwed around with Fin wanting to punish him for his betrayal he even got hurt by him the 'trained from birth trooper' I know it's little but it ads up to all of it

- Rey despite all that she was getting her ass kicked and only till the end when she listened and connected / allowed the force to guide her moves in a way, gave her confidence and clarity

- for her it was revenge for Han and if she loses Fin dies, she probably dies and never gets to reunite with her family and have closer for her it was all or nothing a very desperate corner animal type

In closing I could see it plausible how that result could happen.

You make a strong case, but I still consider it poor writing. They should have shown Rey just barely escaping Ren, by the skin of her teeth. That would have built tension for the rematch. Even with all his injuries, blood loss and physical and emotional pain, Ren was still almost too much for Rey. Now she has to put her training to the test against Ren when he's at the peak of his powers.

Instead, they showed Rey completely dominating Ren. That was a step too far, IMHO.

They can fix Ren losing to Kylo easily.

Kylo destroys her in the rematch, kills her, and then Luke becomes the main hero we deserve.

They focus much more heavily on the idea of archetypical characters and plots but don't tend to give very much focus to how much time a film actually spends to developing them and how skilfully it does so which I think is much more fundamental to its success.

The issue goes far beyond originality for me though and I think plays into why TFA was seriously mediocre cinema. Its not just that the film takes elements of its plot from ANH but rather than it looks to piggyback on nostalgia to give depth to its events rather than actually building them up. Rey accepting the Force for example is an event with little meaning for the character beyond simply defeating Kylo and depends on playing on Luke's history. That's very different to Luke's story though were the force plays strongly into the way he's built up across the film, his desire to expand his horizons and to follow in his fathers footsteps.

You look at the other big climax for Rey as well in leaving Jakku and the wait for her family we've been told is so important and she doesn't even make a decision to do so, rather she's forced off the planet in another big nostalgia heavy action scene.

Again I think Rogue One was a vastly superior film to Abrams work but it was also not a film that conformed to the formula the likes of RLM and Stuckman have spent years pushing. As much as these reviewers might praise a film like ESB were it released today I suspect they would tear it down for not conforming to a rather simplistic view of cinema they hold.

I think you ended up with something inbetween ESB and early Ridley Scott, not perhaps as immediate as some modern blockbuster but more rewarding long term. Some of there commentary on it was downright dishonest, for example focusing on the nostalgia when actually this featured much less centrally than in TFA mostly being a reconstruction of a setting rather than throwing specific designs in your face(how many shots with the Falcon, X-wings, etc massively front and centre?). Equally there breakdown of that streetfight scene was pure nonsense highlighting a lack of character/humour that was actually very much present mere seconds afterwards.

Rogue One was meh.

What were the character arcs of the main players?

Why should I have cared about the relationship between that girl and her father?

How does kung fu fit into the star wars verse?

Why the fuck did we need to see fan service cameo's every other scene?

CGI Tarkin was distracting and I lost track of what he was trying to say because I kept focusing in on everything wrong with his face.

Why did that dude with the metal legs not get into the ship...it was right there.

I'm probably parroting allot of RLM's issues with that movie but that's because I seem to be on the same page as them. As are allot of people given their view rates.

You are free to have your own opinion of course.

Update: September 5, 2017

Colin Trevorrow Out as STAR WARS: EPISODE IX Director

MrQJ02g.jpg

Colin Trevorrow is no longer directing Star Wars: Episode IX.

Rumors of Trevorrow’s departure have dogged the project since early June, weeks before the opening of The Book of Henry, his thriller that was panned by critics and failed at the box office.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that script issues have continued to be the continuing sore spot with Episode IX’s development with Trevorrow having had repeated stabs at multiple drafts. In August, Jack Thorne, the British scribe who wrote the upcoming Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay movie Wonder, was tapped to work.

Lucasfilm and Disney announced the exit Tuesday. "Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon," read a Lucasfilm statement.

In August, Jack Thorne, the British scribe who wrote the upcoming Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay movie Wonder, was tapped to work on the script.

Sources say that the working relationship between Trevorrow and Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy became unmanageable. Kennedy, who had already been through one director firing/replacement on the Han Solo spinoff movie, was not eager for a sequel and tried to avoid this decision.

In June, Phil Lord and Chris Miller were fired from the Han Solo stand-alone with only a few weeks left in principal photography. The two were later replaced by Ron Howard, who is finishing out production in London.

Trevorrow's departure now marks the fourth time directors have been replaced on a Star Wars project. Tony Gilroy took over from Gareth Edwards for massive reshoots on 2016's Rogue One. And Josh Trank was taken off of a Star Wars anthology film after reports arose about the helmer's disturbing behavior on the set of Fox's Fantastic Four reboot. Like Trank, Trevorrow's exit occured before the movie has started shooting.

Trevorrow first made waves with Sundance hit Safety Not Guaranteed. The indie sci-fi dramedy caught the attention of Steven Spielberg and Universal, who put Trevorrow at the helm of the Jurassic Park reboot, Jurassic World. The movie went on to gross a mammoth $1.6 billion at the global box office. After that success, the director was tapped to write and direct Episode IX, the supposed end to the Skywalker saga that would follow Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi (due out Dec. 15).

Trevorrow has several projects in various stages of development, including a Jurassic World follow-up, which he co-wrote and executive produced. Prior to getting Episode IX, Trevorrow was attached to direct Intelligent Life, a sci-fi thriller set up at Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment that he wrote with writing partner Derek Connolly. (Rebecca Thomas has since taken over as director.)

Colin Trevorrow Out as 'Star Wars: Episode IX' Director

You make a strong case, but I still consider it poor writing. They should have shown Rey just barely escaping Ren, by the skin of her teeth. That would have built tension for the rematch. Even with all his injuries, blood loss and physical and emotional pain, Ren was still almost too much for Rey. Now she has to put her training to the test against Ren when he's at the peak of his powers.

Instead, they showed Rey completely dominating Ren. That was a step too far, IMHO.

Kylo bleeding his guts out still won a fight and was plenty competitive with Rey and he wanted her at first more then trying to kill her.

I think we need the:
Rey wins
then Kylo wins big
finally Rey barely manages to win and close the deal

If you had it Kylo win / then Rey wins / last Rey wins.. can't have 2 wins back to back it takes away suspense, it needs to be win / bad loss / barely win.

It could have been done better absolutely but JJ Abrams wasn't called on this for his originality in his work, he was called for safety and quality product.. now this next director this one is the darker / more original one let's see him.. keep in mind it's still a big ass movie with a lot of money and hands in it so don't expect some indie full on original but something more then the first one is all I'm saying.

Have you seen this video from Stuckman ? same goes for your @moreorless87 but you probably know it by now.

Can we just get George back for old times sake?

Update: September 5, 2017

Colin Trevorrow Out as STAR WARS: EPISODE IX Director

Colin Trevorrow is no longer directing Star Wars: Episode IX.

Rumors of Trevorrow’s departure have dogged the project since early June, weeks before the opening of The Book of Henry, his thriller that was panned by critics and failed at the box office.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that script issues have continued to be the continuing sore spot with Episode IX’s development with Trevorrow having had repeated stabs at multiple drafts. In August, Jack Thorne, the British scribe who wrote the upcoming Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay movie Wonder, was tapped to work.

Lucasfilm and Disney announced the exit Tuesday. "Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon," read a Lucasfilm statement.

In August, Jack Thorne, the British scribe who wrote the upcoming Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay movie Wonder, was tapped to work on the script.

This is the latest director shakeup on a Lucasfilm title. In June, Phil Lord and Chris Miller were fired from the Star Wars Han Solo standalone with only a couple of weeks left of scheduled production. The two were later replaced by Ron Howard, who is finishing out production of the project in London now.

Colin Trevorrow Out as 'Star Wars: Episode IX' Director

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS mother of Dragons and the Just Bleed God yes yes yes yes!

Get the heck out of here Colon Trevrrow! Hit the road.. go make more shitty ass Dino movies.

We dodged a damn big bullet guys uuuu.

Can we just get George back for old times sake?

No... dude we can't.. he had plenty of chances and now he is older and more ehem so no thanks.

But.. he would have still been better then Colin... :D

header-jj-abrams-discusses-his-approach-to-star-wars-episode-vii.jpg

Please...?

Pretty Please?

Fuck you if you don't get JJ, Pretty Please?

So now we know why we didn't get the new teaser yet.

USA natural disasters ain't a good time to release massive Star Wars ads and this big ass news for Star Wars fans.. you don't want to have drama when people should be breaking down frame by frame the new teaser 2 release.

So expect in a week max two the second teaser to make us forget about this news, they need to let us intake this news and talk it to death for a little. :D

header-jj-abrams-discusses-his-approach-to-star-wars-episode-vii.jpg

Please...?

Pretty Please?

Fuck you if you don't get JJ, Pretty Please?

Hmh.. for the final part hmh yea I guess he could do it but I want someone else on the script.. then again it will be just closing everything down he can't screw it up that big.. but never say never.

No... dude we can't.. he had plenty of chances and now he is older and more ehem so no thanks.

But.. he would have still been better then Colin... :D

You know he's sitting like, "Maybe......they might...."
G1xDDpE.gif

Kylo bleeding his guts out still won a fight and was plenty competitive with Rey and he wanted her at first more then trying to kill her.

I think we need the:
Rey wins
then Kylo wins big
finally Rey barely manages to win and close the deal

If you had it Kylo win / then Rey wins / last Rey wins.. can't have 2 wins back to back it takes away suspense, it needs to be win / bad loss / barely win.

It could have been done better absolutely but JJ Abrams wasn't called on this for his originality in his work, he was called for safety and quality product.. now this next director this one is the darker / more original one let's see him.. keep in mind it's still a big ass movie with a lot of money and hands in it so don't expect some indie full on original but something more then the first one is all I'm saying.

Have you seen this video from Stuckman ? same goes for your @moreorless87 but you probably know it by now.

Kylo wasn't bleeding his guts out.

They needed to play up that injury more than they did. Some drops of blood and his punching himself didn't sell me on the gravity of the injury

He now needs some means of one upping Rey's training so he can pose a threat again.

Hmh.. for the final part hmh yea I guess he could do it but I want someone else on the script.. then again it will be just closing everything down he can't screw it up that big.. but never say never.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree about the script, but Ep7's directing is 10/10.

Its strange that everyone blamed Zack Snyder for BvS's gigantic script problems.

And NOBODY is blaming the directors of each of GoT's S7 directors for this season's scripts being shit.

Say what you want about Episode 7, and I'll probably agree with most of it, but JJ's directing was it's one aspect that shouldn't be addressed as a complaint because it discredits the rest of the movie's issues, and you'd be viewed as a hater/nitpicker.

You know he's sitting like, "Maybe......they might...."
G1xDDpE.gif

Oh you know.. it will be great publicity but I swear they will have complete control on the scrip and have another dude act like the real director. :D

He can lie to the media but you know he would do it asap. :D

Yet he would have been a way better choice then Colin and his best friends so called 'screenwriters'.

Kylo wasn't bleeding his guts out.

I'm over dramatizing of course.. let me be man don't piss on my parade I almost got him converted to our side. :D

<Baelish01>

Eh it's all good he got what I was going for / saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back