STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Proposed Remake Gets a Poster; Mark Hamill Disappointed with Cut Scene)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Dec 14, 2017.

?

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

1. 10 - Excellent

3.1%
  2. 9 - Great

8.0%
  3. 8 - Good

15.0%
  4. 7 - Pretty Good

11.9%
  5. 6 - Decent

16.9%
  6. 5 - Average/Meh/Mediocre

12.4%
  7. 4 - Poor

11.3%
  8. 3 - Bad

9.6%
  9. 2 - Terribad

5.2%
  10. 1 - Abysmal (Explain)

6.7%
  1. Myrddin Wild

Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

Well presented GT

@chickenluver this post here is the reason I knew you were trolling me. It's because everyone realizes this. GT spelled it all out for you here.

You made a big deal out of the idea that Snoke could mind meld Kylo & Rey but when Luke projected himself to 100 + people you made it out to be the same thing & mocked the fact that Luke died but Snoke didn't. This post spells out what you either weren't getting... or in my opinion, is the counterpoint to what you were trolling about.

EvilDDS, GtehMVP and One MMA Fan like this.
  2. One MMA Fan

One MMA Fan #1

Well you can't always make masterpieces like Godfather.

No one is saying this movie isn't without flaws, we are just saying it's not that bad guys for some of us even good.

EvilDDS, Myrddin Wild and BisexualMMA like this.
  3. Myrddin Wild

Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

I wish you would stop quoting me. This is the same nonsense you were doing before.

Too explain. I said that quote about rioting in the streets when we began our conversation because I thought Snoke's backstory was crucial to the story. Then, you pressed me to think about it as if Ep. 8 were the last movie they would make... & I then saw very clearly that Snoke's back story is nothing but a curiosity at best. The movie stands perfectly fine without it. So my understanding was altered. I thank you for that... but this harrassment where you try to accuse me of not making sense to begin with is just silly. Especially since what I was saying to begin with is what your current point of view is.... lol....

Don't you see the humor in you saying my original point of view didn't make sense... when that is actually your current point of view? lol... it's so strange some of the things you say. You're actually dissing yourself.

EvilDDS and One MMA Fan like this.
  4. BisexualMMA

BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

I won't tell you that you shouldn't partly or completely enjoy the film.

But I consider the film, for the most part, to be a product of poisonous intentions.

90 50, chickenluver, El Che and 3 others like this.
  5. moreorless87

moreorless87 Under Your Skin

I would say the biggest trend in modern audiences is the propensity to get caught up in hype, the media's power to influence perception is greater than its ever been and with the decline of independent critics in favour of sheep like "content providers" on the net this reaction has become far more universal and simplistic, often guided by some talking point not quality. Often its only after the hype has died down that you start to get a real appraisal of a films quality with sequels potentially being helped or hurt by it, which doesn't reflect well on Abrams I'd say with two franchises he launched starting well then showing signs of serious decline.

Whilst Abrams likes to relate himself to Spielberg I think as a film maker he's much more obviously influenced by Michael Bay, the same mix of rapid quick cut action with kenetic camerawork, hyperactive plotting and overt humour. I think that's what makes him ill suited to franchises like Starwars and Trek that previously build their reputation on slower builds of character and especially location plus grander action. I really disagree with the idea that Abrams is some kind of visual master, to me his films are massively lacking in subtly full of over lit, simplistic compositions, I mean for all Bay's weaknesses and bad taste I would say that he has more of an individual style with those tele action shots with so many layers to them.

I do think that's what drove a lot of the negative reaction to Rogue One from certain people(prominent Youtubers especially), they'd spent years pushing the idea that Abrams was very much the natural successor to Spielberg and Lucas only to get confronted with a film that arguably reflects the original Starwars far more closely. The reaction was to dimiss it as overly serious fan service yet looking around a second hand shop yesterday, TFA Blu-Ray £3, Rogue One Blu-ray £8.

Part of the problem with TLJ to me seemed to be that it felt like it was having to shoehorn Abrams style into it so you end up IMHO with a bit of a mess between more serious elements and screwball comedy. The originals actually had very little of that, the humour was almost entirely wit.

chickenluver likes this.
  6. IamStryker

IamStryker Silver Belt

I just want to point out that before you conveniently changed your mind you were arguing very strongly for your point of view and attacking people who disagreed. It's interesting how in a few posts you completely change your mind on Snoke. First it was very important to give us more on him and then it was totally unimportant.

No your original view was that he was fine in the second movie but they needed to give us more story on him in the third movie. That was very inconsistent which led you to change your mind. This view is nothing like mine because I do not think Snoke is fine in the second movie. He was handled very very poorly. Might want to think your posts through before posting that I am somehow "dissing myself".

chickenluver and D3THRONED like this.
  7. moreorless87

The problem with a lot of that kind of plotting in the sequels for me is that it depends on a kind of reflected nostalgia. Someone like Snoke is basically playing on the Emperor asking us to view him in the same way, Rey looking to redeem Kylo is playing on Luke redeeming Vader, etc. When you look at little deeper the films are lacking in real motivations and logic.

Mike, 90 50, chickenluver and 2 others like this.
  8. fonzob1

fonzob1 Red Belt

A remake? Without Princess Leia? You just can't undo what you have already done. Face it. You destroyed the franchise.

9. moreorless87

I'm guessing that remake poster is basically another version of "everyone who dislikes this film is a filthy bigot!" media response?

10. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

How can I have a premade judgement? Im talking about the story it was was telling me, not my idea of what the story should have been instead. For all we know, that was Lukes vision. What Im saying is something like that would have made it a easier to swallow as to why he, even for 1 second, thought of attempting to murder his nephew in his sleep.

El Che likes this.
  11. One MMA Fan

One MMA Fan #1

Premade judgment based on what happens if they don't fallow your narratives and as soon as they are different you put the stamp of no good on them.. speaking generally of course.

How many people that didn't get their desired Luke version went on a mission of pure hate after the movie ? you see it all around this place people trying to break it down from all angles. If I did the same with their 10/10 will see again comic book movie they will throw fits and will make @Myrddin Wild look like an innocent little casual fan. :D

Myrddin Wild and EvilDDS like this.
  12. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

But Im not talking about my narrative or the story I was expecting ro wanted. Im talking the story they told and how I feel it could have gone a long way in fixing one the of the biggest problems the detractors have. The story is the same, the pivotal character change that many people arent accepting may have been easier to swallow by doing something like this.

90 50 and El Che like this.
  13. One MMA Fan

One MMA Fan #1

I sure as hell wouldn't want what you described.. Luke's wife impaled and shit.. forget about it.

Imagine the hate after that, this 'fans' are vicious enough as it is.

14. D3THRONED

D3THRONED Brown Belt

Movie was garbage

Mike, HomerThompson, 90 50 and 2 others like this.
  15. BisexualMMA

I like when people put ideas out there. Put their money where their mouth is, so to speak, in these critical discussions about art.

I will agree with Bob that showing the depth and horror of these supposed visions of Kylo's evil future would have gone a long way toward justifying Luke's "arc" and his considering killing his nephew in his sleep.

However, Rian Johnson's intention was very much not to do that. He was out to show that he knew better than Star Wars fans whether Luke really deserved his previous 40 years of hero worship. The last thing on his mind was making Luke's behavior since Return of the Jedi justifiable or admirable.

16. One MMA Fan

One MMA Fan #1

There is nothing admirable about it, that was Luke's low point that was the shame and guilt that made him into the old man bitter and recluse.

The heck so many have problems getting pass that point and change.. anything except Luke epic, cool, zen hero doing full fan service stuff got us here and most of you tip tow around this issue and poke holes around everything because the 'movie is crap and others shouldn't like it other, Disney ruined Star Wars'... well okay.

17. BisexualMMA

Shit dude, like five posts ago you liked my post about how I won't tell you how you should feel about the movie, but here's how I feel about it.

Luke doesn't have to be super awesome all the time. In fact, what made him a great hero with a compelling arc is that he was NOT awesome all the time. He started out kind of whiny, got his ass punted through the uprights by Vader, got his hand cut off, flirted with the Dark Side at the beginning and end of Return of the Jedi, etc.

But the last time we saw him was at the end of Return of the Jedi. Rian Johnson's intention to tear down heroes is, in my opinion, plain to see and not disguised. And so all those idiot dorks that went to Star Wars conventions and dressed up like Yoda or whatever for the last 40 years had to be taught that Rian knows better. Thus we get Luke being a shit heel off camera for at least a decade, and when we finally meet him again, he's just a straight up asshole.

I've said before that one of the primary purposes of the movie was for Rian Johnson to teach us all better about Luke Skywalker. It's not the further story of Luke's character as previously written; it's a statement that we were wrong for believing what we did about him.

It's a grotesque postmodern nihilistic deconstructionist essay against heroes and heroics. Unless known heroes are being supplanted by Rian's own hero characters (Holdo and Rose), then it's okay. Even the recently created Finn (JJ's) doesn't get to be a hero.

I consider it the greatest work of auteur narcissism of the 21st Century.

Mike, 90 50, chickenluver and 3 others like this.
  18. One MMA Fan

One MMA Fan #1

And now what did you get ?

Got his ass kicked by Kylo, temple, students, betrayed, failure anyway you look at it.

A whiny, bitter old man.

Flirted with the ideas that the Jedi got it all wrong and that he knows better.

Got taught yet another lesson by Yoda and that young aspiring naive Jedi girl.

Man upped and decided to believe again, to stop sitting on the sidelines and saves some lives and he did it in a new way that happened to be pacifistic on top of everything.

Yes that evil, dreaded man... The Last Movie that Ruin Johnson will ever direct.

19. Mariah Larry

Mariah Larry 2018 #7 Larriest

That's horrid.

20. BisexualMMA

Inline Responses to your message...

And now what did you get ?

Got his ass kicked by Kylo, temple, students, betrayed, failure anyway you look at it [not the hero you thought he was].

A whiny, bitter old man [not the hero you thought he was].

Flirted with the ideas that the Jedi [Previous Writers] got it all wrong and that he knows better.

Got taught yet another lesson by Yoda [Rian] and that young aspiring naive Jedi girl.

Man upped and decided to believe again [Rian will let him do something kind of heroic now that all the previous heroics have been undermined, provided it's rising to Rian's challenge for him], to stop sitting on the sidelines and saves some lives and he did it in a new way that happened to be pacifistic on top of everything [the pacifist angle is interesting, admiitedly].

Yes that evil, dreaded man... The Last Movie that Ruin Johnson will ever direct.

[I don't need him to never direct again. I just hope he never again directs a sequel to previous movies he seems to despise and/or needs to supplant with "Rian-created" proper versions.]

chickenluver, El Che and One MMA Fan like this.