STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Definitely would love that as well, as I'm all for a more serious tone for star wars. I do think humor has its place in these movies but I dont want cheap humor to less the impact of important moments. Thats just how I felt for TLJ and it was hard for me to get back into it. Id like to see the directors and writers have more freedom to take chances but I mean its a business I get playing it safe.
That's the difficult part about the main series, as Loiosh and I earlier discussed. Both of us would love a KOTOR-style film (and bonus if they can manage it in live-action with the same level of awesome), it's got the cinematic action I believe we growner fans all crave from SW.

It's just that it's too specific to one aspect of STAR WARS for the main films as they are now. I would reasonably assume Johnson's new trilogy might have more teeth, but nowhere near where we'd prefer. Be that as it may, I don't think any of this should count against him nor TLJ.

Plus, I feel that we've been imagining Jedi battles in our heads nearly all our lives, so maybe it's better to leave some of that to our imaginations since it's so difficult to surpass our rampant expectations.

Im actually still staying positive about Johnsons trilogy. Being away from the core characters and story in a new setting is a different thing, and Im hoping for the best. Johnsons is still immensely talented.
Eh, what he showed with the last jedi makes me think otherwise due to how bad the writing was IMO. However, he should have more "freedom" (if thats what you want to call it) to a certain degree. Hopefully they go with the old republic era because its so much more badass with wayyyyyy better characters. Im not as optimistic as I first heard Johnson was taking the helm for more films as I was before.

That's the difficult part about the main series, as Loiosh and I earlier discussed. Both of us would love a KOTOR-style film (and bonus if they can manage it in live-action with the same level of awesome), it's got the cinematic action I believe we growner fans all crave from SW.

It's just that it's too specific to one aspect of STAR WARS for the main films as they are now. I would reasonably assume Johnson's new trilogy might have more teeth, but nowhere near where we'd prefer. Be that as it may, I don't think any of this should count against him nor TLJ.

Plus, I feel that we've been imagining Jedi battles in our heads nearly all our lives, so maybe it's better to leave some of that to our imaginations since it's so difficult to surpass our rampant expectations.
Would be pretty dope to see Disney use some star wars anthology films and make them R rated like how they're doing with Marvel-R. Imagine how badass it would be to see a Vader rated R movie? I can't put the full blame on Johnson since he was handed the ball at halftime. I think it is a culmination of TFA and not really much changing in the SW universe. I like TFA much more than TLJ but I'm not that ignorant to see TFA really hurt this trilogy because of the direction it took.

Yeah 6/10 is 60%. I dont think a 10 point scale is smart for movie ratings, a 5 point system makes much more sense. It would help get rid of some of the useless scores such as "terribad". Also would lesson the impact of trolls putting 10/10 or 1/10. I mean I get it though, 6=decent.

It's not though lol. In school, "C" is average.. 5 is "average" accordingbtonthe creator of the poll. I don't think your notion gets yo change that. No offense. For me a 7/10 is between a C+ and a B, because it is a 6.5-7.5.

It's not though lol. In school, "C" is average.. 5 is "average" accordingbtonthe creator of the poll. I don't think your notion gets yo change that. No offense. For me a 7/10 is between a C+ and a B, because it is a 6.5-7.5.
If 5 is the baseline for average theres 5 choices that are above it (6,7,8,9,10) and 4 that are below it (4,3,2,1) it would need to include a 0 for 5 to actual mean its the average using this logic. However, a D is considered passing (arguable) and thats just how I saw it when I first posted my reaction. (there are degrees of failure) also i'm just a dick sometimes so theres that too.

Last edited:
Yeah 6/10 is 60%. I dont think a 10 point scale is smart for movie ratings, a 5 point system makes much more sense. It would help get rid of some of the useless scores such as "terribad". Also would lesson the impact of trolls putting 10/10 or 1/10. I mean I get it though, 6=decent.

On a five-star scale I'd give TLJ 3.5 stars.

Would be pretty dope to see Disney use some star wars anthology films and make them R rated like how they're doing with Marvel-R. Imagine how badass it would be to see a Vader rated R movie? I can't put the full blame on Johnson since he was handed the ball at halftime. I think it is a culmination of TFA and not really much changing in the SW universe. I like TFA much more than TLJ but I'm not that ignorant to see TFA really hurt this trilogy because of the direction it took.
I think about that all the time. I doubt we'd ever get an R-rated film, but the cartoon stuff? The violence is handled in a way that makes it youth-appropriate -- but they can get away with some ill shit if they want to. I think there's something to be said for that.

Plus I would love agile Vader.

Vader is one guy I wouldn't mind switching away from James Earl Jones. His voice is super deep and old in ROGUE ONE.

If there's one character at the center of STAR WARS it's him, I think. The iconic helmet is what seals it, I think.

On a five-star scale I'd give TLJ 3.5 stars.
I wouldnt have a problem at all with that either tbh as it feels more reasonable. As my score wouldnt be much different 2.5-3/5. I just think scores like 10/10, 9/10, 1/10 are a bit dishonest.

If 5 is the baseline for average theres 5 choices that are above it (6,7,8,9,10) and 4 that are below it (4,3,2,1) it would need to include a 0 for 5 to actual mean its the average using this logic. However, a D is considered passing (arguable) and thats just how I saw it when I first posted my reaction. (there are degrees of failure)

Just since we're on the subject, I think it's very rare for a theatrical release to deserve worse than a 4. Hollywood is just too experienced to make a movie that's THAT bad. That subterranean 1-3 range is mostly reserved for student films and really amateurish straight-to-video and made-for-TV stuff.

Also, would like to say I know I've been a dick in this thread but I don't want anyone to take it to heart. Im just being a dick about star wars and venting my frustrations.

Just since we're on the subject, I think it's very rare for a theatrical release to deserve worse than a 4. Hollywood is just too experienced to make a movie that's THAT bad. That subterranean 1-3 range is mostly reserved for student films and really amateurish straight-to-video and made-for-TV stuff.
I can accept that for sure, I mean it does take skill to make CGI, music, scenery. So you definitely have a point there. I tend to categorize the star wars and kind of compare them on similar scales.

Saw an interview with Ridley Scott talking about the new Star Wars trilogy. He said it was a dumb idea to change directors for a trilogy and also criticized disney for hiring low-income indie directors (rian johnson budget for looper was like 30 million and thats his best movie). This is a smart move by Disney because it gives them huge leverage over the director in terms of the huge pay increase. I think this is also why Disney decided to give Johnson a whole new trilogy simply because he is a "yes man" for Disney execs. It all makes too much sense tbh, not good for creative writing though.

The first trilogy had 3 different directors.

Johnson is just shit.

The first trilogy had 3 different directors.

Johnson is just shit.
I tend to lean towards your side on this argument but to be fair we don't really know what parameters Disney gave him to work within.

Have you seen any of his other films?
Looper. I think i liked it enough. Id give it a 6, like TLJ, initially, but a 6 for an unknown movie has more weight than a star wars at 6.

For instance, i have constantly griped that star wars movies are rewatchable and ive not had that feeling for TLJ. Looper was seen once and not bothered to be revisited.

Looper. I think i liked it enough. Id give it a 6, like TLJ, initially, but a 6 for an unknown movie has more weight than a star wars at 6.

For instance, i have constantly griped that star wars movies are rewatchable and ive not had that feeling for TLJ. Looper was seen once and not bothered to be revisited.
If you think TLJ is overlong, try your ass with BRICK. It's like BUGSY MALONE but instead of delightful songs it's TEENAGE ANGSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTT.

I tend to lean towards your side on this argument but to be fair we don't really know what parameters Disney gave him to work within.

If Disney is truly the problem, then i see no way to improve.

In the vid i put up, the review with the puppet, "creative differences" scared me.

If you think TLJ is overlong, try your ass with BRICK. It's like BUGSY MALONE but instead of delightful songs it's TEENAGE ANGSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTT.

I think ill stick with the Ben Folds Five version.

If Disney is truly the problem, then i see no way to improve.

In the vid i put up, the review with the puppet, "creative differences" scared me.
I mean I'm right there with you man. We can only hope that Disney takes to heart some of the negative reviews and frustrations a lot of people have with TLJ. Instead of just playing it safe knowing it will make bank regardless.

If you don't insist that every movie be a big-budget blockbuster the you should give Brick a look.

It was his feature debut and made for only $500K, but it's an interesting film.

Back