Locked STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (New Footage from D23 Reel)

What did you think of the teaser trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds reasonable.

Did anyone expect TFA to do numbers THIS huge? I wouldn't bet on it happening again unless it's amazing and gets insane word of mouth.
Months before its release, I expected TFA to earn $700M at the US box office or even edge out Avatar by a couple of mil. Was not expecting the $900M+.

It was the perfect storm. The beloved Star Wars name coupled with the 10-year gap from the last SW movie and the allure of a proper sequel with the old characters returning.

Months before its release, I expected TFA to earn $700M at the US box office or even edge out Avatar by a couple of mil. Was not expecting the $900M+.

It was the perfect storm. The beloved Star Wars name coupled with the 10-year gap from the last SW movie and the allure of a proper sequel with the old character returning.

I just tried to force myself to watch Avatar again.

How on earth did that film make so much money?

I think the next one will do even better. glad they're adding Del toro too, he's legit. i think with TFA a lot of people were nervous it would suck, but it was so good I'm sure it's built fan confidence for sequels. Disney knows what they're doing here.

I hope you're right. I think they'll do more new things in the next movie. They kept TFA similar to the OT, to play it safe and to see how people would respond. I think the next movies will be more original, which could give the movie a boost if it's done properly.

It was the perfect storm. The beloved Star Wars name coupled with the 10-year gap from the last SW movie and the allure of a proper sequel with the old characters returning.

I did not expect the 900M+ domestic gross, but I thought it would do a bit better in the foreign markets. I guess I overestimated the popularity of SW in the worldwide market a bit and severly underestimated the popularity in the US.

I get what you are saying about the perfect storm. But I hope that if they can make episode 8 more original and maybe even better than TFA, it will give the movie the boost it needs to equal or surpass TFA in box office gross. I think if Rogue One is a very good movie it could also have a positive effect on E8.

3D and CGI hype. Everyone wanted to see it because of that IIRC. At least the people I know.

I don't have as big a problem with CGI as some, but the characters looked so terrible to me.

I don't have as big a problem with CGI as some, but the characters looked so terrible to me.
I wasn't saying I have a problem with the CGI, but I think it played a major part in why many people wanted to see the movie.

That said, I don't really have a problem with it either, as long as it's not overused. I do prefer practical effects and animatronics if possible though.

Update: February 15, 2016

STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII Adds Benicio Del Toro, Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran

Benicio-Del-Toro-Lauran-Dern-Kelly-Marie-Tran-Star-Wars-Dragonlord.jpg

Benicio Del Toro, Laura Dern and newcomer Kelly Marie Tran have joined the cast of Star Wars: Episode VIII, which started filming in London on Monday.

Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis are all returning for the follow up to The Force Awakens.

Rian Johnson wrote and will direct the film. Star Wars: Episode VIII is slated for release Dec. 15, 2017.

Del Toro was most recently seen in Sicario, Inherent Vice and Guardians of the Galaxy. Dern’s credits include 99 Homes and Wild. Tran is a relative newcomer (as was Ridley when she was first hired to star in the franchise). Her credits include the Netflix's indie XOXO with Sarah Hyland and the College Humor series.

'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Adds Benicio Del Toro, Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran

Rumours are that Del Toro is playing a Grand Admiral Thrawn type villain role. Yes. Fucking. PLEASE! Hopefully a CG roll though or he'll remind me to much of the Collector + Organa type character. Thrawn from the recently non-canon EU was one of the best villains of the EU and was the only alien to serve in the Empire cause he was just that damn good.

I also heard that Dern might be playing Lukes deceased wife. Could appear as a force ghost or be a Mara Jade type character again from the EU.

Not sure who this new Tran chick is playing.

Source was on Jedi Council at Collider Video.

I wasn't saying I have a problem with the CGI, but I think it played a major part in why many people wanted to see the movie.

That said, I don't really have a problem with it either, as long as it's not overused. I do prefer practical effects and animatronics if possible though.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you had a problem with it.

I'm saying I'm open to it, but thought it was miserable in Avatar. It felt like a badly animated feature.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you had a problem with it.

I'm saying I'm open to it, but thought it was miserable in Avatar. It felt like a badly animated feature.
Ah, I see! Considering all the hype, the cgi for the characters did look underwhelming. They felt very emotionless to me, which made it harder for me to care for the already bland characters.

Rumours are that Del Toro is playing a Grand Admiral Thrawn type villain role. Yes. Fucking. PLEASE! Hopefully a CG roll though or he'll remind me to much of the Collector + Organa type character. Thrawn from the recently non-canon EU was one of the best villains of the EU and was the only alien to serve in the Empire cause he was just that damn good.

I also heard that Dern might be playing Lukes deceased wife. Could appear as a force ghost or be a Mara Jade type character again from the EU.

Not sure who this new Tran chick is playing.

Source was on Jedi Council at Collider Video.

Thrawn is too cool to be un-cannonized. Make it so...with good writing.

In the previous threads, you had some issues with certain scenes.

1. You wondered how come newbie Rey defeated Kylo Ren so easily?

2. You didn't like that sanitation worker Finn was holding his own against Kylo Ren.

3. You especially didn't like how come Rey is so good at everything.

Hopefully somebody can answer these burning and not-yet-discussed questions for you.

I answered the first one in the original thread once the movie was released. It made perfect sense to me. It played into the second one as well. The third one played off that too.

I don't think any of that is so far fetched when you really read into everything post Han/Chewie blast, if you know what I mean.

I am hoping Ep VIII can take the cinematography and action choreography of Ep VII and mix it with the sense of mystery of the originals (without ripping them off) and the grandeur from the prequels to make the perfect Star Wars film. Yeah.... probably aint gonna happen.

I am hoping they tone down the comedy too.

I hope these films take nothing from the prequels.

NOT. ONE. FUCKING. THING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back