STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
The YouTube video in my last post pretty much sums up what I would have liked to see from someone as revered as Ackbar. Admiral cliti blaster did not deserve that hero’s send off and should have been Ackbars. Screaming it’s a trap through the whole hyperspace thing would have been extra awesome....but then yeah it would awfully close to screaming aloha snackbar haha. Who cares though the guy is a calamari/lobster thing I wouldn’t have made religious connections to his death

One thing I have relented in a bit is the whole Ackbar suicide run thing. I read an article, somewhere I forget now, basically pointing out how Ackbar is popular mostly due to a meme, not Star Wars. I think it's true. He barely has any screen time and was mostly used as a mouthpiece for exposition of what they couldn't show.

So while I agree it was very Rian Johnsian of Rian Johnson to unceremoniously kill him off screen I don't necessarily think he needed film time devoted to an epic heros exit. He's a briefly seen, minor character that was popularized by Reddit jokes.

You may not be aware of this, but these conversations are not happening over in the avengers : infinity war thread.

That movie was friggin awesome. Of course it's not perfect but any issues it has are so minor. The incredible action and the many epic scenes are what people remember.

It's really nice you two sweet ladies could come together in your moment of crisis.

I read an article, somewhere I forget now, basically pointing out how Ackbar is popular mostly due to a meme, not Star Wars. I think it's true.

Bullshit.

He's been popular in the expanded universe and comics since the first books were published.

There's been several references to him in mainstream culture for decades.

Bullshit.

He's been popular in the expanded universe and comics since the first books were published.

There's been several references to him in mainstream culture for decades.

Known and popular are two different things. He's been a side/background character thats appeared in expanded universe, but not "popular" in the sense that people in general know who he is. In geek culture "It's a trap" changed that to a significant degree.

But anyways, I sense a great disturbance that tells me this will only result in endless bickering over nitpicking of a very subjective interpretation of popularity. Suffice it to say that I agree that his meme-ness has been instrumental in building up his popularity and it'll be an uphill battle to convince me otherwise.

I think I'm possibly reading a potential Sherdog record for longest argument ever...lol.

Shits been going since last week. Lol

Anybody keep stats of these things? Are we approaching record territory?

Remind me not to get into a debate with Mariah Larry. Guys like the Terminator....juuuust won't stooopp!

I think I'm possibly reading a potential Sherdog record for longest argument ever...lol.

Shits been going since last week. Lol

Anybody keep stats of these things? Are we approaching record territory?

Remind me not to get into a debate with Mariah Larry. Guys like the Terminator....juuuust won't stooopp!

Really? Cause i cant get him to start.

Dude is so defeated he refuses to respond to me now.

Yup, that gets into nit-pick territory for me.

Same with 'There's no gravity in space! So how did the bombers 'drop' the bombs?' To which I reply 'There was gravity on the ships, which is used to drop the bombs into space.'

And I had little problem with the porgs. They had two minutes of screentime, if that, and they were there to give Chewbecca the screentime he desperately needed.

These three issues - Lightspeed kamakaze, space gravity, & porgs - have been used to strawman critics of TLJ that we're a bunch of Star Wars nerds that like to bitch about every new movie that's released like it damaged our soul.

The SJW agenda, poor script, and turning Luke Skywalker into a cowardly pussy - are the real issues of the movie.

Exactly. I had no problem at all with Laura Dern's moment with lightspeed kamikaze honestly. Sure, I understand people's points about, "Why would that not have been done or attempted before," but for the purposes of this film, it was a cool visual at a key moment where multiple big things were happening.

Didn't even know the porgs were one of the recurrent complaints lol. They barely factor in. Who cares.

But yeah you're right there are plenty of legitimate things to complain about. Rose crashing her ship into Finn's has to be one of my biggest gripes to be honest. So ludicrous.

Speaking of hot, as I said in my review I know this is shallow but I wished Rose switched roles with her much hotter sister Paige.

tumblr_p0ex0kdw8b1w6j24yo2_1280.jpg

day-la-cach-de-giu-duoc-voc-dang-sieu-mau-cua-nguoi-dep-khong-tuoi-ngo-thanh-van-1.jpg

148872634630041-khoanh-khac-goi-cam-kho-cuong-cua-ngo-thanh-van-hinh-4.jpg

She's super pretty for sure. The other gal may have been a better actress, as well as the casting director or whoever being PC mindful of having an average person. That is to say, not every woman cast has to be a slim model. So absolutely no problem with that.

I feel so bad for the actress in the movie. She was threatened and disparaged right off of social media.

Poor sweetheart..i mean she's the most unassuming, non-threatening girl... got to be some profoundly low-life, lonely motherfuckers that found it necessary to attack her..

Absolute disgrace.

Exactly. I had no problem at all with Laura Dern's moment with lightspeed kamikaze honestly. Sure, I understand people's points about, "Why would that not have been done or attempted before," but for the purposes of this film, it was a cool visual at a key moment where multiple big things were happening.

Didn't even know the porgs were one of the recurrent complaints lol. They barely factor in. Who cares.

But yeah you're right there are plenty of legitimate things to complain about. Rose crashing her ship into Finn's has to be one of my biggest gripes to be honest. So ludicrous.

I had a huge problem with it.

I saw it as weak writing.

The writer backed himself into a corner and invented a new power to get out of it. Don't do that. Because it does very much wreak continuity for the past and moving forward. My brain can't let that go for the sake of "pop corn movies" and there is no need for it.

It's like in episode 1 in the first scene with Kenobi and Quigon battling the droids in the corridor. Lucas needed an out so he invents "super jedi running speed" and they instantly blast down the corridor.

Great you just gave Jedi a super power. You need to stay consistent with it now. It doesn't just happen when it's convenient for the writers to get out of painted corner. And in the case of Ep 4...Lucas absolutely didn't do that as later on in the film with the situation dire we got this;

Now I know George needed to separate them but he failed in doing it within the rules he created. We SHOULD have seen Kenobi tear down that hall like this;

It's practically the same fucking distance visually for crying out loud George!

But back to TLJ. It's an established verse with established rules and canon. You can't "invent" things to write yourself out of a corner...even if it does produce a great visual. For instance, to save past canon you could have some side mission to have the main big ship lose it's shields to allow it to be susceptible to being rammed by light speed. That's just one example to help preserve the 'verse'

But I do not agree with the notion that for great visuals, inventing non canon devises for story telling for specific moments is a great idea.

Last edited:
I had a huge problem with it.

I saw it as weak writing.

The writer backed himself into a corner and invented a new power to get out of it. Don't do that. Because it does very much wreak continuity for the past and moving forward. My brain can't let that go for the sake of "pop corn movies" and there is no need for it.

It's like in episode 1 in the first scene with Kenobi and Quigon battling the droids in the corridor. Lucas needed an out so he invents "super jedi running speed" and they instantly blast down the corridor.

Great you just gave Jedi a super power. You need to stay consistent with it now. It doesn't just happen when it's convenient for the writers to get out of painted corner. And in the case of Ep 4...Lucas absolutely didn't do that as later on in the film with the situation dire we got this;

Now I know George needed to separate them but he failed in doing it within the rules he created. We SHOULD have seen Kenobi tear down that hall like this;

It's practically the same fucking distance visually for crying out loud George!

But back to TLJ. It's an established verse with established rules and canon. You can't "invent" things to write yourself out of a corner...even if it does produce a great visual. For instance, to save past canon you could have some side mission to have the main big ship lose it's shields to allow it to be susceptible to being rammed by light speed. That's just one example to help preserve the 'verse'

But I do not agree with the notion that for great visuals, inventing non canon devises for story telling for specific moments is a great idea.

Absolutely agree with everything you said. I just didn't feel bothered by it relative to other issues with the film. It's one of those things that didn't really register for me even though I knew that it didn't make sense.

haha completely forgot about that moment in Phantom Menace where they Force Sprint. That looks so silly.

Absolutely agree with everything you said. I just didn't feel bothered by it relative to other issues with the film. It's one of those things that didn't really register for me even though I knew that it didn't make sense.

haha completely forgot about that moment in Phantom Menace where they Force Sprint. That looks so silly.

yeah you are not wrong. in a movie where almost everything is badly executed or makes no sense to the point it's insulting to the viewer...the only saving grace was how cool that scene looked visually.

She's super pretty for sure. The other gal may have been a better actress, as well as the casting director or whoever being PC mindful of having an average person. That is to say, not every woman cast has to be a slim model. So absolutely no problem with that.

I feel so bad for the actress in the movie. She was threatened and disparaged right off of social media.

Poor sweetheart..i mean she's the most unassuming, non-threatening girl... got to be some profoundly low-life, lonely motherfuckers that found it necessary to attack her..

Absolute disgrace.

There is absolutely no proof of that what so ever. The liberal narrative suggests that but the actress never claimed why she left social media and when someone dug into how that narrative came to be (that she left because she was being bullied) it was found to have originated by a blog poster who knows about as much about why she left social media as you or I do.

So it would be like you making a blog that suggests "she's gained weight because of over eating from depression brought on from online bullying" and then the liberal media taking that as factual and running with that story.

Liberal media doing liberal things.

Last edited:

Absolute disgrace.

Certainly no disagreement that the net is full of scummy insecure people ready to do this kind of stuff but equally I think theres a argument that like a few films recently TLJ was rather more interested in fishing for this kind of reaction than it was any real message. As I said before I think Hollywood recently seems to have this idea that you rattle a few alt right cages, get some abuse and turn it into a big news story for a films benefit.

Ultimately for me these SW sequels are pretty empty films and really look at this character and is she that progressive? you cast someone who doesn't look like a model BUT you have her play a clichéd backroom geek with a heart of gold.

It's polite to reply to people that you post about.
You won't listen. You need your ass kissed and concepts slowly explained and there's simply not enough capacity inside your closed mind and heart. So here's an apology you apparently need.

Sorry you didn't like it.

hahah. Never saw this. Need some context. Gegard is unexpectedly a funny dude.
You know I just saw it here one day. Dunno which fight it led up to, but I wanna say it was circa Ronda still fighting.

I love it.

You won't listen. You need your ass kissed and concepts slowly explained and there's simply not enough capacity inside your closed mind and heart. So here's an apology you apparently need.

Sorry you didn't like it.

Listen to what? Your extremely bad justifications for obvious bad writing and plot holes?

I don't need your apology. If you don't want to defend the film like I originally asked then don't.

Back