STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
haha I actually kind of like the original version. It looks goofy but I like the voice a lot. It is better for consistency to have Ian. The main problem I have with the change is that the dialogue is altered.

Completely disagree on the Hayden ghost. The Kenobi and Yoda ghosts looked liked how they did when they died, makes no sense for Anakin's ghost to look like he did decades earlier.

On a related note, I think it really should have been David Prowse as Vader in the unmasking scene and as the force ghost. He was the man in the costume for all of the movies, it was a pretty lame decision imo to bring in another actor else when you finally show his face. Yeah Prowse's speaking voice doesn't sound anything like James Earl Jones' but neither does Sebastian Shaw's.

I'm going to have to read a few posts back in the thread to see the previous comments, but strong points as always.

You know what always pissed me off with the special editions and onward- them getting rid of the Ewok song for that generic elevator music. It's cool that they show the other places like Coruscant and elsewhere celebrating in addition to the forest moon, but the Ewok song was awesome.

I was disappointed in the last Jedi.

10 minutes in after Luke milks the tits of that shitty monster and slurps his tongue, I was convinced the director didn't like star wars. However I was grateful he didn't make Yoda do an Irish Jig the way he was carrying on. Why not, go for broke, this director's fucking nuts and enjoying butt-fucking star wars lore and everything that meant anything to people who grew up on the original series.

I like the Rey/Ben moments. Adams the best actor in the series. That's it.

I missed Hans/Boyegas fantastic comedic chemistry in this movie.

He's made a complete fool of that red haired 2nd in command after Ben. The way he was punked and bitch slapped throughout the movie diminished his character. No longer scary/fearesome. Now a bitch and the butt of comedic jokes. That was disappointing.

It's clear when people sat down before this trilogy, that there was no plan for the 3 movies as far as where it would go.

Ex.. ok director 1...you take the story from point a to point b...where director 2 will take it from there and go to point c...etc

It's like each director had complete autonomy and nutcase director 2 took it out into left field on planet Zatar... from which in Abrams has to direct movie 3... starting at a point he probably didn't want to be...

I don't know if that was a good idea. Should have been some overall vision for the 3 movies.

Well said. They needed Kevin Feige-esque commitment to an overarching vision in my opinion. Abrams did one thing and then Rian Johnson pulled the rug and was like- hey what you thought was important isn't important.

But the funny thing is at least elements such as who the hell is Snoke and why is Rey so powerful (what is her lineage?) actually added some compelling questions to a trilogy that was (and I like TFA) really very much a nostalgic homage to the OT with little deviation from the tried and true. Johnson shut those questions down and Abrams now has to try to either reverse the choices or proceed from a point where he didn't initially intend to jump from.

On a related note, I think it really should have been David Prowse as Vader in the unmasking scene and as the force ghost. He was the man in the costume for all of the movies, it was a pretty lame decision imo to bring in another actor else when you finally show his face. Yeah Prowse's speaking voice doesn't sound anything like James Earl Jones' but neither does Sebastian Shaw's.

Either way, Vader was a big scary bad intimidating motherfucker.

It always baffled me in a new hope, first appearance of grand Moff and the top brass meeting in the war room.

This little middle aged puke says to Vader in this impudent tone "Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer ways. You and that sad religion...fuck u and the horse u rode in on...."

Lmao...wtf is this guy thinking? Did he think that was going to end well?

Either way, Vader was a big scary bad intimidating motherfucker.

It always baffled me in a new hope, first appearance of grand Moff and the top brass meeting in the war room.

This little middle aged puke says to Vader in this impudent tone "Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer ways. You and that sad religion...fuck u and the horse u rode in on...."

hahah. Yeah that guy is classic because he speaks to Vader with absolutely zero fucks given. My only thought (and I know nothing about the character and I'm sure others do since everybody has a backstory in the extended universe) is that the guy was close to Tarkin and was confident that Tarkin would protect him from Vader should the shit go down.

Meanwhile, it was a nice touch that Tarkin WAS in fact restraining Vader's aggression a bit throughout that movie. Leia makes the point about Tarkin holding the leash and then in Empire, Vader is killing Imperial officers that fail him at the drop of a hat.

the leia hovering space scene didn't bother me.

first, she was in space.
second, if force push is a thing and force pull is a thing then she should be able to force pull herself.
The worst part of Space Leia is that her ship was moving many miles per second. She would have been left far behind by the tihe she came to. That bothered me more than her Mary Poppins thing, though that was stupid af too.
cast one of the greatest living actors in Max von Sydow, and then they use him in one scene then kill him smh.
JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson are fucking imbeciles IMO. JJ has shown promise in the past, but he comes across as one of those pleaser types, and spineless. Rian Johnson should not be making films in established franchises period. I personally think he's an awful director. He's a pleaser type too, but more in a virtue signaling/SJW way. Ideology is more important than story/characters to him. It's too bad because he's ballsy.

I love Andy Serkis too, he was the best part of Black Panther IMO. How do you kill off Snoke like that and leave us with an emasculated Hux and non-threatening Kylo?

I would have loved to have seen more Max vS, it really made no sense for Kylo to kill him, and order everyone executed. That was the worst investigation ever.

I doubt JJ can salvage this trilogy, but does anyone really care anymore? Outside Rogue One, these movies aren't being made for the diehards, and I don't think enough casuals give a fuck to keep ep 9 from bombing, unless big changes at Lucasfilm are made. It will be interesting to see how this plays out

I was disappointed in the last Jedi.

10 minutes in after Luke milks the tits of that shitty monster and slurps his tongue, I was convinced the director didn't like star wars. However I was grateful he didn't make Yoda do an Irish Jig the way he was carrying on. Why not, go for broke, this director's fucking nuts and enjoying butt-fucking star wars lore and everything that meant anything to people who grew up on the original series.

I like the Rey/Ben moments. Adams the best actor in the series. That's it.

I missed Hans/Boyegas fantastic comedic chemistry in this movie.

He's made a complete fool of that red haired 2nd in command after Ben. The way he was punked and bitch slapped throughout the movie diminished his character. No longer scary/fearesome. Now a bitch and the butt of comedic jokes. That was disappointing.

It's clear when people sat down before this trilogy, that there was no plan for the 3 movies as far as where it would go.

Ex.. ok director 1...you take the story from point a to point b...where director 2 will take it from there and go to point c...etc

It's like each director had complete autonomy and nutcase director 2 took it out into left field on planet Zatar... from which in Abrams has to direct movie 3... starting at a point he probably didn't want to be...

I don't know if that was a good idea. Should have been some overall vision for the 3 movies.
It’s even more aggravating since Abrams gave the drafts to Johnson and said this is where I planned for the trilogy to go and Johnson wiped his ass with it.

Someone should have been overseeing this shit besides Kennedy.

You know what always pissed me off with the special editions and onward- them getting rid of the Ewok song for that generic elevator music. It's cool that they show the other places like Coruscant and elsewhere celebrating in addition to the forest moon, but the Ewok song was awesome.
Something funny about that. When I was growing up I had a VHS of the original theatrical cut of Star Wars, just the first film. I also had the VHS set of the special editions. I was vaguely aware of the difference, and I remembered certain scenes being different between the regular film and the special edition, such as that awful Jabba scene in front of the Falcon. I could also see in the little introduction to the special editions some examples of the changes and what it looked like originally. But I never had actually seen the original cuts of Empire or Jedi. Years went by and I soured on Star Wars due to the prequels, my newfound understanding of the alterations to the OT, the fact that the DVD and blu-ray contained more changes, and most of all the original cuts being withheld. Then in the wake of Last Jedi my opinion of the franchise was at an all time low, so I needed to remedy the situation by finally watching the despecialized fan edits. So basically only in the last six months did I finally see the theatrical cuts of Empire and Jedi.

Anyway, the point of all that was to say that I always knew the crappy pan flute music from the special edition. And the stupid CGI beak in the sarlacc pit. And that fucking awful CGI musical number at Jabba's palace. Oo-la wang choo koo-chee-pa-tie tan-ga ris-pa ta ya lee oh Yo, ahh, yal-lie. God that fucking scene has got to be the worst thing in any Star Wars film.

hahah. Yeah that guy is classic because he speaks to Vader with absolutely zero fucks given. My only thought (and I know nothing about the character and I'm sure others do since everybody has a backstory in the extended universe) is that the guy was close to Tarkin and was confident that Tarkin would protect him from Vader should the shit go down.

Meanwhile, it was a nice touch that Tarkin WAS in fact restraining Vader's aggression a bit throughout that movie. Leia makes the point about Tarkin holding the leash and then in Empire, Vader is killing Imperial officers that fail him at the drop of a hat.
Yeah that scene doesn't really jive with how Vader is depicted in the rest of the series because they hadn't fully established the hierarchy of the Empire and Vader's place in it. Vader was originally just a Jedi who turned to evil and betrayed his fellow Jedi to the Empire. Vader being Luke's father is technically a retcon, but a good one since it's a great twist, although Kenobi's explanation of Vader betraying and murdering Luke's father being true "from a certain point of view" is rather flimsy. Much better twist than Leia being Luke's sister, which I honestly try to ignore.

Anyway, something else apparent from that board room meeting scene and the first movie in general is that the Emperor was not originally intended to be a force user. There is no other explanation for why some random Imperial officer would be talking shit about the force, calling it a sad religion etc. This is driven home when Vader tells Tarkin that Kenobi is on the Death Star, and Tarkin calls Vader the last remaining remnant of the Jedi religion. This could possibly be logically retconned by saying that the Emperor kept his force powers a secret, but this doesn't fit with the officer in Return of the Jedi being so scared at learning the Emperor is personally on his way to the new Death Star, and it seems unlikely that the Emperor would keep his powers a secret from people such as Tarkin.

On a related note, it's also clear from Return of the Jedi that dark force users were not intended to use light sabers. The Emperor refers to it as a "Jedi weapon" and does so rather disdainfully. There is no indication he has ever used one himself, and obviously he wouldn't need to considering how ineffective Luke was against his force lighting. Vader used a light saber simply because he was the fallen Jedi.

Regarding that guy who gets choked, one could perhaps assume he had not previously seen Vader's powers in action? And if he had, he certainly didn't believe Vader would give so few fucks that he would just choke him right there for shit talking. Although part of it could be Vader proving a point? The guy was professing his disbelief in the usefulness of the force, so Vader force chokes him while specifically saying "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

It is very nice continuity that Tarkin is the only guy until the Emperor to boss Vader around, including ordering him to refrain from choking a guy to death, Leia says he's "holding Vader's leash," then after Tarkin is gone every officer is scared witless by Vader, and he kills people left and right for simple mistakes. He even killed the guy who took responsibility for losing the Falcon and apologized, even though it wasn't his fault.

Something funny about that. When I was growing up I had a VHS of the original theatrical cut of Star Wars, just the first film. I also had the VHS set of the special editions. I was vaguely aware of the difference, and I remembered certain scenes being different between the regular film and the special edition, such as that awful Jabba scene in front of the Falcon. I could also see in the little introduction to the special editions some examples of the changes and what it looked like originally. But I never had actually seen the original cuts of Empire or Jedi. Years went by and I soured on Star Wars due to the prequels, my newfound understanding of the alterations to the OT, the fact that the DVD and blu-ray contained more changes, and most of all the original cuts being withheld. Then in the wake of Last Jedi my opinion of the franchise was at an all time low, so I needed to remedy the situation by finally watching the despecialized fan edits. So basically only in the last six months did I finally see the theatrical cuts of Empire and Jedi.

Anyway, the point of all that was to say that I always knew the crappy pan flute music from the special edition. And the stupid CGI beak in the sarlacc pit. And that fucking awful CGI musical number at Jabba's palace. Oo-la wang choo koo-chee-pa-tie tan-ga ris-pa ta ya lee oh Yo, ahh, yal-lie. God that fucking scene has got to be the worst thing in any Star Wars film.

Yeah that scene doesn't really jive with how Vader is depicted in the rest of the series because they hadn't fully established the hierarchy of the Empire and Vader's place in it. Vader was originally just a Jedi who turned to evil and betrayed his fellow Jedi to the Empire. Vader being Luke's father is technically a retcon, but a good one since it's a great twist, although Kenobi's explanation of Vader betraying and murdering Luke's father being true "from a certain point of view" is rather flimsy. Much better twist than Leia being Luke's sister, which I honestly try to ignore.

Anyway, something else apparent from that board room meeting scene and the first movie in general is that the Emperor was not originally intended to be a force user. There is no other explanation for why some random Imperial officer would be talking shit about the force, calling it a sad religion etc. This is driven home when Vader tells Tarkin that Kenobi is on the Death Star, and Tarkin calls Vader the last remaining remnant of the Jedi religion. This could possibly be logically retconned by saying that the Emperor kept his force powers a secret, but this doesn't fit with the officer in Return of the Jedi being so scared at learning the Emperor is personally on his way to the new Death Star, and it seems unlikely that the Emperor would keep his powers a secret from people such as Tarkin.

On a related note, it's also clear from Return of the Jedi that dark force users were not intended to use light sabers. The Emperor refers to it as a "Jedi weapon" and does so rather disdainfully. There is no indication he has ever used one himself, and obviously he wouldn't need to considering how ineffective Luke was against his force lighting. Vader used a light saber simply because he was the fallen Jedi.

Regarding that guy who gets choked, one could perhaps assume he had not previously seen Vader's powers in action? And if he had, he certainly didn't believe Vader would give so few fucks that he would just choke him right there for shit talking. Although part of it could be Vader proving a point? The guy was professing his disbelief in the usefulness of the force, so Vader force chokes him while specifically saying "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

It is very nice continuity that Tarkin is the only guy until the Emperor to boss Vader around, including ordering him to refrain from choking a guy to death, Leia says he's "holding Vader's leash," then after Tarkin is gone every officer is scared witless by Vader, and he kills people left and right for simple mistakes. He even killed the guy who took responsibility for losing the Falcon and apologized, even though it wasn't his fault.

Yeah! I always felt bad for that dude. "Apology accepted, Captain Needa."

lol with regard to your point about those shitty aspects of Empire and Return being your perception of the films before you'd seen the theatrical versions. My brother and I had a cousin who was a huge Star Wars fan so we watched the videos of the original releases a bunch of times before the special editions and the ridiculous changes.

I had completely forced that Jabba band scene from my memory until you mentioned it. Again, you take something that was good the first time around and make it shittier. What was the logic?

I mean aside from some fleshing out of the background at Mos Eisley and what not did people like any of the modified scenes for the special editions? Greedo firing first triggered people big time lol.

Thinking back on it, Empire just got so many things right. My favorite part is when Luke goes to rescue his friends and Yoda tells him he's doomed essentially, there's no way he can win.

But they're BOTH right. He wasn't ready but the right and moral thing to do is to rescue your friends. And he paid a heavy price for it, losing his hand and nearly being killed. But then just when it looks like Yoda was right, his friends show up to rescue him back.

Then you get the scene of him flexing the new metal hand while brooding, and you can feel a great shift has taken place. He's not a kid anymore. And his friendship with the others has been solidified, they are ride or die until the end.

Just such a great arc for every character. Even minor ones like Lando. Empire elevated the entire franchise from quasi camp fantasy to something very tangible and serious.

Thinking back on it, Empire just got so many things right. My favorite part is when Luke goes to rescue his friends and Yoda tells him he's doomed essentially, there's no way he can win.

But they're BOTH right. He wasn't ready but the right and moral thing to do is to rescue your friends. And he paid a heavy price for it, losing his hand and nearly being killed. But then just when it looks like Yoda was right, his friends show up to rescue him back.

Then you get the scene of him flexing the new metal hand while brooding, and you can feel a great shift has taken place. He's not a kid anymore. And his friendship with the others has been solidified, they are ride or die until the end.

Just such a great arc for every character. Even minor ones like Lando. Empire elevated the entire franchise from quasi camp fantasy to something very tangible and serious.

It's really such a good movie when you think about it. As much as I love A New Hope, Empire really is the series at the peak of its powers. The Hoth battle- epic. The Cloud City- visually amazing. All the Luke/Yoda scenes on Dagobah, top-shelf stuff.

And the crazy thing is that those of who have watched the series growing up and weren't alive when the OT came out (but were born relatively shortly after) we just kind of take Yoda's presence for granted. Like before I ever even watched Empire, I knew of the character from relatives mentioning him, toys, etc. But I imagine that for a person viewing that film back in 1980 in a theater, it must have been amazing to see that character realized. Great puppetry worked. Looked phenomenal, was characterized very well and had many of the best lines in the film.

It's also striking to me that Yoda never looked AS GOOD in any subsequent rendering as he did in that film. People were praising in TLJ that it was the same puppet, but I don't buy it. Yeah they went back to practical from CGI, but I still think there was a subtle difference that didn't quite capture it.

The scene where Yoda elevates the X-Wing out of the swamp is damn near close to my favorite scene in the entire movie. Williams' masterful score in the background as that occurs and then Luke's incredulity followed by Yoda dropping the epic line, "That is why you fail..."

Plus the Vader/Luke battle is amazing. When it starts in the carbonite chamber, the atmosphere, the cinematography, the audio of Vader's breathing, the lighting, it's all just spot on epic.

Great film.

I had completely forced that Jabba band scene from my memory until you mentioned it. Again, you take something that was good the first time around and make it shittier. What was the logic?
I guess that scene cost about $1 million to make. Just that one musical number. When I was a kid I didn't dislike the scene, but we're talking really little here, since Phantom Menace was released when I was seven, and I had already seen the OT many times by then.
I mean aside from some fleshing out of the background at Mos Eisley and what not did people like any of the modified scenes for the special editions? Greedo firing first triggered people big time lol.
I didn't even like the extra Mos Eisley background stuff. To me the changes are unnecessary at best, and outright terrible and destructive at worst.

It's is kind of funny that the Greedo thing became the most infamous alteration. I suppose it's due partly to being one of the more obvious and intrusive of the 1997 changes to the first film, and it happens relatively early in the movie. Not to mention it totally changes the character of Han.

Well said.

One thing that rubs me the wrong way is that Lando is wearing Han's clothes when we see him in the Falcon with Chewie at the very end. Wtf is up with that? Is that the official uniform of the pilot of the Falcon?

I guess that scene cost about $1 million to make. Just that one musical number. When I was a kid I didn't dislike the scene, but we're talking really little here, since Phantom Menace was released when I was seven, and I had already seen the OT many times by then.

I didn't even like the extra Mos Eisley background stuff. To me the changes are unnecessary at best, and outright terrible and destructive at worst.

It's is kind of funny that the Greedo thing became the most infamous alteration. I suppose it's due partly to being one of the more obvious and intrusive of the 1997 changes to the first film, and it happens relatively early in the movie. Not to mention it totally changes the character of Han.

Well said.

One thing that rubs me the wrong way is that Lando is wearing Han's clothes when we see him in the Falcon with Chewie at the very end. Wtf is up with that? Is that the official uniform of the pilot of the Falcon?
Lol I forgot about that. I need to watch Empire again, it's been a looong time since I've seen it. Used to have a VHS box set of the OT when I was a a kid and I would watch it all the time. I remember being so excited when they re released Empire in theaters because I wasn't even born yet when it was originally released.

And the crazy thing is that those of who have watched the series growing up and weren't alive when the OT came out (but were born relatively shortly after) we just kind of take Yoda's presence for granted. Like before I ever even watched Empire, I knew of the character from relatives mentioning him, toys, etc. But I imagine that for a person viewing that film back in 1980 in a theater, it must have been amazing to see that character realized. Great puppetry worked. Looked phenomenal, was characterized very well and had many of the best lines in the film.
Must have been nice to watch his first scene without knowing he's the Jedi master. I would like to be able to wipe the film from my mind and go back and experience that scene, along with learning the Vader is Luke's father. I was so young when I first saw these movies that I have no memory of being shocked by that twist. As far as I can remember I've also known Vader is Luke's father.
The scene where Yoda elevates the X-Wing out of the swamp is damn near close to my favorite scene in the entire movie. Williams' masterful score in the background as that occurs and then Luke's incredulity followed by Yoda dropping the epic line, "That is why you fail..."
Same.

When I was a kid Jedi was my favorite and Empire was by least favorite, but now it's the reverse. A lot of Empire was more boring to me as a kid I guess, whereas Jedi is the one with the most kid friendly material.

Being overly critical of the light saber dueling seems kind of silly, when the original trilogy has such slow and clunky fighting.
Not being personal, but it's about as silly as seeing people returning again to repeat how overly critical they are of the entire film. Once, twice, three times for discussion? Okay. But please, we've heard the same song again already. No thanks.

Casting choices and physics. Game changing events that went the opposite of the desired direction. It's all silly, which means it's all valid, depending on the eye of the beholder. Hence discussion is not really about the silliness of the film but rather the silliness of us. The rabid fans, divided between jerkstore assholes, super defensive children at heart, and smarmy bystanders. (That's on both sides, so no one think I'm just targeting haters.)

It's all silly, and it's even sillier trying to exert dominance in a STAR WARS thread, like someone was the last word on all things STAR WARS. (Again, not directed at you.)

Not being personal, but it's about as silly as seeing people returning again to repeat how overly critical they are of the entire film. Once, twice, three times for discussion? Okay. But please, we've heard the same song again already. No thanks.

Casting choices and physics. Game changing events that went the opposite of the desired direction. It's all silly, which means it's all valid, depending on the eye of the beholder. Hence discussion is not really about the silliness of the film but rather the silliness of us. The rabid fans, divided between jerkstore assholes, super defensive children at heart, and smarmy bystanders. (That's on both sides, so no one think I'm just targeting haters.)

It's all silly, and it's even sillier trying to exert dominance in a STAR WARS thread, like someone was the last word on all things STAR WARS. (Again, not directed at you.)
Well there have been other star wars discussions in this, and the other star wars threads. I've said pretty much all I have to say about why TLJ is bad. People are pretty passionate about the movie, mainly because each side doesn't understand the opinion of the other side.

Well there have been other star wars discussions in this, and the other star wars threads. I've said pretty much all I have to say about why TLJ is bad. People are pretty passionate about the movie, mainly because each side doesn't understand the opinion of the other side.
I don't think anyone IS trying to understand the other side.

I don't think anyone IS trying to understand the other side.
I can't speak for anyone else, I tried to. I made a looong post somewhere earlier itt about it being fascinating how divisive it was. I listened to the points people defending the movie made, but it's like they watched a completely different film. Defying expectations of the audience fails, if the only thing you do in the process is just crap on those expectations without doing anything interesting yourself.

I can't speak for anyone else, I tried to. I made a looong post somewhere earlier itt about it being fascinating how divisive it was. I listened to the points people defending the movie made, but it's like they watched a completely different film. Defying expectations of the audience fails, if the only thing you do in the process is just crap on those expectations without doing anything interesting yourself.
I understand where the other side is coming from, even though it's been more difficult for me lately. I used to dislike certain story directions -- like if one character turned out to be evil, and maybe I liked that character as a good guy; or clichéed tropes; etc. -- but now that sort of thing doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Now the things I dislike are more technical, about the process and the framing and essentially how the scene plays out. The last time I recall hating a story decision was in a comic book where the lead character's beloved was murdered, and so he couldn't get a really happy ending. More bittersweet. I wished it was happier, but the me of today would have accepted the decision much more easily -- largely because it created max impact and was well-told.

As a result I don't really consider "faulty" story directions anymore, and when people bring it up I'm curious, which is why I always ask, "What would you have liked instead?"

I literally walked out of THE LAST JEDI loving everything about it, and was flabbergasted by such audience division. It was fascinating.

haha I actually kind of like the original version. It looks goofy but I like the voice a lot. It is better for consistency to have Ian. The main problem I have with the change is that the dialogue is altered.

Completely disagree on the Hayden ghost. The Kenobi and Yoda ghosts looked liked how they did when they died, makes no sense for Anakin's ghost to look like he did decades earlier.

The only “practical “ reason I could think of for a Haden force ghost, would be that’s the way he looked when he left the Jedi and turned to the dark side.

But “Return of the Jedi” is not Luke showing back up, to save his friends again.

It’s Anakins turn on Palpatine and Returning to the light saving his son Luke, so it does need to be the Old Anakin in my opinion

Back