STAR WARS: EPISODE IX (J.J. Abrams to Write and Direct) | Page 8

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Sep 12, 2017.

1. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    The problem with the character for me is that theres no real motivation there, we see him kill his own father yet have no idea whats driving him beyond "powah". If they were going that route they should have had some serious motivation, perhaps his losing a family remember and blaming it on the weakness of the "light side".

2. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt

Bob Gray
    Theres two more parts.

Think of it as 30 minutes into a 90 minute movie. Obviously there are secrets yet uncovered and motivations are not always plainly spelled out as of yet.

Myrddin Wild and One MMA Fan like this.
  3. One MMA Fan #1

One MMA Fan
    Star Wars 9 Moves To December 2019

The official Star Wars Twitter account broke the news today, announcing Friday December 20, 2019 is when the film will be released.
    From May to another December Star Wars Christmas in the books.

[​IMG]

EvilDDS and Myrddin Wild like this.
  4. BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

BisexualMMA
    You feel this needed to be revealed in the first film and that having these motivations uncovered in the second and third film won't do?

We knew even less about Vader's motives after the first Star Wars film.

Myrddin Wild, Madmick and One MMA Fan like this.
  5. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne
    Vader was a bad guy

Thats all we needed to know in the 70's

KnightTemplar likes this.
  6. KnightTemplar Sith Belt

KnightTemplar
    The managed it with Maul, in what was unquestionably the weakest Star Wars movie. Maul carried that whole movie; the only memorable scenes in the whole film were his fights and the pod race. Everything else was shit. But that's the difference between Maul and Ren; if PM is showing, I'll sit through it just to watch Maul kick Jedi ass. I haven't watched FA since I saw it in the cinema. There's nothing in the movie that encourages that kind of repeat viewing

Ren can still redeem himself as a Big Bad, but he has to go Full Empire in the second movie. He has to absolutly dominate Rey. Ideally, he'd beat her so badly he'd leave visible scars. So the third and final fight would have some real tension going into it. But Abrams doesn't have the balls for it.

Calling it right now: they won't even fight each other in LJ. Rey will kill the Knights of Ren while Ren faces off against Luke. Who will go out like Obi Wan.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    Its not the same at all, each film in a series is still ment to be watched individually and make dramatic sense in its own right.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  8. KnightTemplar Sith Belt

KnightTemplar
    All true.

Still better than his bitch-boy grandson:)

9. KnightTemplar Sith Belt

KnightTemplar
    Acclaimed. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means:)

10. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    I have a pretty firm grip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EvilDDS, One MMA Fan and Myrddin Wild like this.
  11. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    JJ is better than Trevorrow, but he did direct the worst piece of crap in the entire franchise (and this is coming from someone who hates the prequels). So although I'm glad Trevorrow is out, I can't say I'm particularly excited about this news.

12. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    Abrams has I think shown more ability in terms of directing action cinema, there is some decent stuff buried in TFA and Trek were as Jurassic World is pretty bland thoughout for me.

Hopefully if Rian Johnson does a good job on the story and building up the setting more Abrams will be able to follow his lead, perhaps Lucasfilm might have a bit more say this time as well cutting out his sillier tendancys? I kind of suspect that part of the reason for all these hirings and firings might be a bit of a power struggle between Disney and Lucasfilm management.

I am potentially resigned to writing out the entire sequel trilogy from my "head canon" though as with the prequels, at least we have one decent SW film post originals in Rogue One and perhaps others in the anthology? Young Han solo could potentially be dodgy(although Ron Howard filtering Lord/Miller for me sounds better than the latter by themselves) but an Obi Wan film seems to have potential.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  13. usulrah Blue Belt

usulrah
    While I agree with your point and don't have any issue with vader as a dark side icon. I sorta think Luke would of told ren about vader and his redemption in his training, Luke wasn't that happy vaders past was kept from him. Though I guess it's not like snoke couldn't of manipulated ren that what Luke told him was lies

Myrddin Wild likes this.
  14. usulrah Blue Belt

usulrah
    ????? I would say in the 70's characters were much more thought out and deeper on average than nowadays

15. KnightTemplar Sith Belt

KnightTemplar
    And Hilary won the Popular Vote. She still isn't President, and Force Awakins still isn't a good Star Wars movie.

It benefited from a lot of good will at the start. Fans, including me, were desperate for something better than the Prequels(although they did have some good points; Maul, Sideous, Order 66 etc). So when we saw a fast paced movie with lots of call backs to the OG triology and one genuine WTF?! moment, we were so relieved we overlooked the glaring flaws and plot holes big enough for a Star Destroyer to fly through without touching the sides.

I left the cinema thinking I'd seen a great movie. It was only after thinking about the movie in the cold light of day that I realised just how badly flawed it was. Worse, all the ingredients were there to make it so much better, but were squandered by poor writing.

16. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne
    I figured it would be higher since they pretty much copied the best star wars movie ever

17. KONG-D'SNT-TAP Steel Belt

KONG-D'SNT-TAP

Fairly certain it took 6 movies to detail all of that. Rens appeared in one movie.

Your comparison borders on stupidity.

18. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    To be honest I think that dislike of the prequels(deeply flawed as they were) became almost as big a culture as love of the original films. Stuff like those RLM videos became a cultural phenomenon because the films provided such an easy fish in the barrel to shoot at without much fear of disagreement.

TFA for me is when a lot of this talk has actually had to stand up and be counted, Abrams film is very much along the lines of what these people have been telling us is great blockbuster cinema for years so admitting its weaknesses relative to the originals is admitting the flaws in a viewpoint they've committed for years.

That's why I think the likes of Stuckman and RLM became so negative of Rogue One, it was a film that did not follow there analysis of what Star Wars should be yet in many peoples eyes was a superior piece of cinema to Abrams work.

HomerThompson and Myrddin Wild like this.
  19. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    In the orginal three films though its not like Vader had masses of screentime devoted to building him up is it?

I think the problem with Abrams film is that his unoriginality in lifting so much from the originals ment he was left trying to make a different picture with the same jigsaw pieces. In the originals these elements were created to tell the story most effectively, in Abrams film though he's trying to recycle similar elements to tell a different story and they simply don't fit much of the time.

Vader didn't need masses of buildup in the originals because his being Luke's father explained his motivation to us very well, a son killing his father on the other hand is something that needs a lot more explanation to be effective that we didn't get.

20. ssBaldy Purple Belt

ssBaldy
    Episode 7 sucked balls. And I think 8 and 9 will suck as well. Rogue one was a good flick.