STAR WARS: EPISODE IX (J.J. Abrams to Write and Direct) | Page 10

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

Myrddin Wild
    [​IMG]

They can't just say sh*t like that as if it's true & expect us to just grace over it like they didn't just talk out their ass. Our references can't just say sh*t like that without being lynched. If you defend that writter, i'm reporting you to Sherdog authorities immediately. :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    EvilDDS and One MMA Fan like this.
  2. method115 Steel Belt

method115
    Yes I understand the way the movie was different just IMO to much the same. Like you said though from her on out they could expand in a different direction and really go down their own path. I hope they do that I would love that. I still have faith in the movies and really that was my main complaint I don't have any other real complaints with the movie I enjoyed it.

3. sickc0d3r Brown Belt

sickc0d3r
    I can meet you halfway and say there were definitely some lazy aspects to the story. I mean, a really, really big Death Star? That's what you're going with? JJ played it safe and cut some corners for sure. I don't feel that way about Ren, but it's all subjective. I'm happy enough with where the story is starting for episode VIII, and I look forward to watching it unfold.

As far as FOTR is concerned, Boromir's turning was set up early in the movie because it had to be. Gandalf explained it clearly to Frodo before they left the Shire. The ring would turn even a powerful wizard with the desire to do good into an evil servant of its master. Boromir's desire to protect his people was a perfect opening for the ring to sink its hooks and go for the choke. However, if we had a movie or two beforehand to set the stage, that dialogue would have been unnecessary.

One MMA Fan and Myrddin Wild like this.
  4. Drain Bamage Blue Belt

Drain Bamage
    Rogue One was trash, CGI Tarkin lmao

Clearly!

Aegon Spengler likes this.
  5. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt

Bob Gray
    Which changes nothing I said.

Saying Lucas is the sole mind behind Star Wars is withholding the credit earned by people like Ralph Mcquarrie, Kasdan, etc. It's also pretty well known that the actors went off script pretty often in ANH because the dialogue was terrible.

Don't misunderstand me, without Lucas there'd be no Star Wars, period. And he was instrumental in it being the iconic saga that it was. But he was not the sole contributor to it being what it was. This is not something that was born completely out of Lucas' input.

And you completely ignored my point about him changing the ending because of toy sales.

Aegon Spengler and One MMA Fan like this.
  6. Secret Agent TONY CRACKULA

Secret Agent
    Here's a picture of Gary Kurtz, mother of STAR WARS, showing George how it should be done.

[​IMG]

Likely, this is also a picture of George Lucas, father of STAR WARS, ignoring Gary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EvilDDS, One MMA Fan and Myrddin Wild like this.
  7. One MMA Fan #1

One MMA Fan
    I'm not defending him, I'm just saying it's a blatant mistake by him/her.

They should really do a few reads of their articles before posting them, maybe even send them to a colleague to read them first and pick up on any things the initial writer missed before clicking to post it.

EvilDDS and Myrddin Wild like this.
  8. Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

Myrddin Wild
    Really? you're calling me out for being confused when you say you are talking about Disney putting out a movie every year... but yet you did not even mention that in the post I responded to.

You claimed to be talking about something you didn't mention. Your own argument is the confusion... not my comprehension ability. Are we trying to get silly with this convo or are we actually trying to discuss things?

9. Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

Myrddin Wild
    Yeah, no doubt. Making a statement that says this trilogy is to be the end of the Skywalkers is a major foobar. They need to hire you & me to proof read I think :D

10. One MMA Fan #1

One MMA Fan
    Yea but they need to mention you if it's canon or legends from the start. :p

How strange would it be if he got it right by mistake.

Leia RIP
    Han dead
    Kylo and Luke one me thinks will get it by the end.. and it's Kylo. I feel because of the events that happen they will want to let someone alive and go off into the sunset at the and. Hard to think they will just have everyone dead from the original movies.

Then we have Rey she could be a Skywalker.. then we have this crazy theory floating around now:

Rey is Luke's sister.. Padme had triplets and she came last and was hidden from both Obi and Yoda from birth because the dark force was clouding everything (maybe even killed Padme) and this certain someone took Rey and froze her as a "backup" once Vader and Luke's stories played out then Rey was unfrozen and was destined to take over.

Yea I know freaky. xD

PS: Finn Lando for the win.

EvilDDS and Myrddin Wild like this.
  11. Secret Agent TONY CRACKULA

Secret Agent
    Abrams' greatest story strength is his greatest failing. He sets up powerful mysteries that are neutered by thin and superficial discoveries. So while you're in the movie it feels really exciting but the further you step away from it the harder it is to remember what you liked, only that you liked it (if you did).

Abrams' folly is why it would be a mistake if BLADE RUNNER 2049 answers the question of whether Deckard is or is not a replicant. For one thing, such discovery would make BLADE RUNNER almost obsolete, and for another it's always the mystery, not the answer, that endures.

The question, Neo. It's the question.

12. Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

Myrddin Wild
    haha! That's a new one on me. If we're getting that crazy... lets just bring in darth Jar Jar as the mastermind behind everything.

Interestingly though... if their was a 3rd... perhaps they just layed low & Rey is their daughter. Meh... I dunno... I'm not feeling that one.

13. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    Its not the lack of explanation of the pull of the darkside though that I think is the issue, its more that theres a lack of explanation for Kylo's specific reason to turn to the darkside and his killing his father.

Its not helped either I would say by the film again being rather at cross purposes with him. Early on he's very much cast in the Vader ANH role being the demonic antagonist before suddenly shifting to a conflicted and more limited character. Its why Rey defeating him seems so out of place, if he'd been more limited right from the start it wouldn't have been as much.

Myrddin Wild and One MMA Fan like this.
  14. sickc0d3r Brown Belt

sickc0d3r
    On that point I agree. The impact of that opening scene made it seem like he was going to be somewhere around Vader's level from the start, and that turned out not to be the case. Great scene, though.

15. Aegon Spengler Silver Belt

Aegon Spengler
    They say victory is shared and defeat is lonely

Perhaps it shouldn't be.

Maybe we need to hold some of the people around Lucas a little more accountable for the unbridled dogshit that was the prequel trilogy

16. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    That scene and Rey's intro with the ruin of the star destroyer are the best in the film IMHO.

What does make Abrams frustrating for me is I think you can see hints he could be a lot better than he actually is were he willing to take a few more risks.

17. sickc0d3r Brown Belt

sickc0d3r
    He's adept at setting up characters like that. He sets the tone of the movie and really pulls you into the story. Star Trek 2009, Into Darkness, Armageddon, fucking great impact scenes in the early going for all of those. He's not the greatest finisher, which is why I liked him for TFA to set up a trilogy (and I still like that movie), but not so much for episode IX.

One MMA Fan likes this.
  18. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne
    Those are just the exceptions

Nice try buddy

Shout out to Quint tho. Probably the greatest performance on camera

19. Shael Silver Belt

Shael
  20. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    In TFA especially you have some reasonably effective setup for Rey and Finn very early in the film but then this ends up being dumped much too quickly, he becomes cheap comic relief and she becomes a blander version of Luke with no real motivation beyond the threat of Kylo.