Star Trek: Discovery V4.0 (Premieres Sept. 24, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished the OG Trek episode 'Assignment: Earth' and could tell it was something more than a usual episode.

Not only was it a good episode, but apparently was a pilot for a proposed spin off show that didn't pan out. Anyone have any knowledge that if the show was picked up, would it of had any more tie ins with Star Trek? I've read that there has been books and whatnot based on the characters that were obviously set in the Trekverse, but would the show have taken a life of it's own?

Checking in to bitch and moan about the Discovery reveals up until it launches, would be thrilled to be wrong about the show seeming shit as expectations are low...

Prolly gonna watch it even if it's shit, just not via the CBS nonsense. I mean, I watched TWD until about halfway into season 4 after thinking the most part of 3 seasons were complete shitshows. <31>

It looks so awful. I will probably watch the season opener and that is it. No way I will pay for a CBS subscription just to watch that garbage. The moment that old female captain gets into a fist fight with one of those new Klingon monstrosities, it is all over.

I enjoyed Enterprise.
Curious to see what they do here: I've always found the Star Trek universe more interesting than Star Wars, they're very different kinds of science fiction
Yeah Enterprise was under rated and underappreciated. It's become a fan favorite on Netflix.

With the new series, we all have to keep in mind, that most the Trek series, have there worse seasons early on. Season 1 of TNG is terrible when you compare it to later in its run. We gotta give Discovery a fair chance.

Yeah Enterprise was under rated and underappreciated. It's become a fan favorite on Netflix.

With the new series, we all have to keep in mind, that most the Trek series, have there worse seasons early on. Season 1 of TNG is terrible when you compare it to later in its run. We gotta give Discovery a fair chance.
I don't watch seasons one or two of TNG, they're so fucking awful.

Just finished the OG Trek episode 'Assignment: Earth' and could tell it was something more than a usual episode.

Not only was it a good episode, but apparently was a pilot for a proposed spin off show that didn't pan out. Anyone have any knowledge that if the show was picked up, would it of had any more tie ins with Star Trek? I've read that there has been books and whatnot based on the characters that were obviously set in the Trekverse, but would the show have taken a life of it's own?
Yep, it was a pilot for a show that wasn't picked up, too bad for Terri Garr. I don't know too much more about it. An enjoyable and distinctly different ep.

• TNG didn't pick up until the Klingon Civil War.
  • DS9 didn't pick up until the war with the Dominion/Cardassians.
  • STE had a strong first season (minus the canon violations) but went down hill until season 4 (which was the best season).
  • STV never really got consistently good.

• TNG didn't pick up until the Klingon Civil War.
  • DS9 didn't pick up until the war with the Dominion/Cardassians.
  • STE had a strong first season (minus the canon violations) but went down hill until season 4 (which was the best season).
  • STV never really got consistently good.
Agreed on all points.
I recently rewatched STV and found myself a bit surprised to discover that I enjoyed it more before season 4 when it became the Seven Show.
By season 5 it seemed like every fucking episode focused on her.

ppsssssssst....

i have touched the sky
Until I saw you, there was nothing in my heart. It sustained my life, but nothing more. Now, it sings. I could be happy to have that feeling for a day, a week, a month... a year. Whatever the Creators hold in store for us.

Until I saw you, there was nothing in my heart. It sustained my life, but nothing more. Now, it sings. I could be happy to have that feeling for a day, a week, a month... a year. Whatever the Creators hold in store for us.

Greatest episode title in the history of everything.

Episode did not disappoint.

Agreed on all points.
I recently rewatched STV and found myself a bit surprised to discover that I enjoyed it more before season 4 when it became the Seven Show.
By season 5 it seemed like every fucking episode focused on her.
I didn't really give Voyager a chance after the pilot episode. There is a cable channel called "Heroes & Icons" (H&I) that plays an episode from all 5 Trek series every weekday from 8PM until 1AM (TOS, TNG, DS9, STV, and STE in that order). I binge on it sometimes and have found that I enjoy STV a little bit more than I thought I would have back in the day. It's definitely a flawed show though.

I didn't really give Voyager a chance after the pilot episode. There is a cable channel called "Heroes & Icons" (H&I) that plays an episode from all 5 Trek series every weekday from 8PM until 1AM (TOS, TNG, DS9, STV, and STE in that order). I binge on it sometimes and have found that I enjoy STV a little bit more than I thought I would have back in the day. It's definitely a flawed show though.
My opinion, not enough character stories, too many "powerful new enemy of the week" eps.

This is true for the most part, but there are a few gems in there. "Conspiracy" from season 1 is good. And season 2 had two of the best episodes of the series with "The Measure of a Man" and "Q Who".

This is true for the most part, but there are a few gems in there. "Conspiracy" from season 1 is good. And season 2 had two of the best episodes of the series with "The Measure of a Man" and "Q Who".
Oh, absolutely. Like any show, it needed a bit to find it's feet.
It's hard to satisfy the STOS crowd while at the same time establishing your own thing. Those of us who grew up watching the OS (and the very worth watching because it was all dialogue and stories) the animated series knew we'd have to deal with some things in order to have Star Trek again.
Star Trek in my opinion has been the long reigning pinnacle of science fiction done just about right.
(My only gripe is that it needs to be less Treknobabble and more scientifically accurate)

My opinion, not enough character stories, too many "powerful new enemy of the week" eps.
True. Really across the board the writing and acting was inferior to the other Trek shows. There was no compensating for that.

Were you ever on the StarTrek.com message boards? So many good discussions there back in the day.

Enterprise took a few episodes to hit it's stride but I thought it was very good.

That theme song was inexplicable though. Funny that they added a drumbeat after season 1 rather than shelve it and admit the misstep. Song belonged on a Lifetime Original Series.

True. Really across the board the writing and acting was inferior to the other Trek shows. There was no compensating for that.

Were you ever on the StarTrek.com message boards? So many good discussions there back in the day.
No, I've rarely ever discussed my opinion with other Trek enthusiasts, which is why I appreciated Red Letter Media ripping those lousy TNG films a new asshole.
Jesus, they sucked. Like they weren't made for fans of the fucking show.
Picard was so wildly out of character across the films.

No, I've rarely ever discussed my opinion with other Trek enthusiasts, which is why I appreciated Red Letter Media ripping those lousy TNG films a new asshole.
Jesus, they sucked. Like they weren't made for fans of the fucking show.
Picard was so wildly out of character across the films.

I completely agree with Picard being out of character in First Contact. I would argue Worf was as well. That movie was a steaming pile and yet it was the most popular of all the TNG movies.

The only TNG movie I enjoyed was Nemesis. It gets tons of hate, but I thought it was a great movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back