Star Trek: Discovery V4.0 (Premieres Sept. 24, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. Khan was a lot more than just xenophobic - he was a ruthless murderer who sought to make earth a dictatorship and promoted genetic engineering, which goes far beyond a xenophobic attitude. It would be a lot more like Admiral Leyton from DS9 who expresses concerns about aliens not really getting the need to defend earth, and tried to institute martial law on Earth when the changelings started to infiltrate. He was presented as a misguided hero type, not an outright villain. This was also a show that treated terrorists as heroes though. It had guts... Unlike this new Star Trek which is really just ticking off all of the safe progressive boxes these days.

Khan wasn't a xenophobe. He was a power hungry uberman. At least I don't recall him even mentioning aliens or race.

What he had was full faith in his genetically modified brethren's ability to dominate weak humans. Too bad his lackeys were no where near his level.

It's about what I expected. Fine enough for a random, run-of-the-mill action scifi series, but distinctly lacking the Trek soul. The biggest immediate problem is, as I expected, there is very little visual correlation between this and actual Star Trek. First of all, it's way the fuck too dimly lit. And everything that isn't shadowed for some bizarre reason (who runs a ship with the dimmer turned down?) is shiny chrome or led. Gone are the beige or salmon walls/carpet highlights, the innocuous, unobtrusive background objects and minimalist, hospital hallway-like feel to the environment. Just way too many bells and whistles. This also makes the whole thing look very much as though it isn't a prequel.
I predict that the writers will be unable to create much of the interpersonal drama that made Star Trek have more in common with Law and Order than it did Battlestar Gallactica.

Oh and the Klingons look retarded.

They look like mutant engineers from Prometheus but in different colors, and they're all chubby looking.

"Just wait until you see them."

Yeah, they're even worse in action and while speaking. Talllllllking sooooooo sloooooow, it's almost like these "Klingons" are struggling with speaking Klingon.

They look like mutant engineers from Prometheus but in different colors, and they're all chubby looking.

Yeah, they're even worse in action and while speaking. Talllllllking sooooooo sloooooow, it's almost like these "Klingons" are struggling with speaking Klingon.
Yeah it's awful
Just awful
And completely intrusive and unnecessary. There was zero reason to change one of the best races in Star Trek. It only serves to make the series even less appealing. Oh look, let's make this fancy new flashy show full of explosions and gunfights.... we'll slap the name "Star Trek" on it and there ya go!

5940cf9999cb6d2942ec7f9c5926444ca85e45b1c2a08eaf57c581b431f72aee.jpg

Isn't CBS Access 6 bucks WITH commercials and 10 bucks without?

Really, it's all a cash grab by CBS trying to get the fruit of Netflix's labor of streaming the previous shows and getting more interest in Star Trek, much less keeping the prime universe alive. From what I've read on here and other places, Netflix wanted to make a Star Trek show but CBS scoffed at the idea.

Now when if it fails, CBS will just say the fans/demand really wasn't there.
No, CBS will blame it on piracy.

I have a feeling they'll concede to making a grave mistake real soon, and drop that shit on network TV, before it's inevitable early cancellation.

Shit looks pretty pricey to produce as well. No way it sustains an audience on pay for play networks, to cover the costs. Trekkies don't even like it, and this show sinks or swims with them, even on basic cable. Pretty fucking arrogant to think people are just going to subscribe to a network for it.

I give it two seasons at best.
Netflix has paid for the entire production cost on a very expensive show, just for international rights. All the money from all access is pure profit, let alone merchandise. They just released a press release saying that over 3 million people have already signed up for the service.

so how bad is it guys? should this be my dive into star trek? or is it fucked? my boy @JBSchroeds, if he thinks its bad must be pretty bad

Isn't CBS Access 6 bucks WITH commercials and 10 bucks without?

Really, it's all a cash grab by CBS trying to get the fruit of Netflix's labor of streaming the previous shows and getting more interest in Star Trek, much less keeping the prime universe alive. From what I've read on here and other places, Netflix wanted to make a Star Trek show but CBS scoffed at the idea.

Now when if it fails, CBS will just say the fans/demand really wasn't there.
There's a rumour going around that Nicholas Meyer (Wrath Of Khan director) is making a prime timeline Star Trek series, or is writing one that could replace Discovery should it fail.

It seems like CBS didn't want to pay for the rights to do a proper Prime series? I may have it backwards, but the rights holder situation is a mess.

This video helps to explain why Discovery isn't actually canon.

Last edited:
It's about what I expected. Fine enough for a random, run-of-the-mill action scifi series, but distinctly lacking the Trek soul. The biggest immediate problem is, as I expected, there is very little visual correlation between this and actual Star Trek. First of all, it's way the fuck too dimly lit. And everything that isn't shadowed for some bizarre reason (who runs a ship with the dimmer turned down?) is shiny chrome or led. Gone are the beige or salmon walls/carpet highlights, the innocuous, unobtrusive background objects and minimalist, hospital hallway-like feel to the environment. Just way too many bells and whistles. This also makes the whole thing look very much as though it isn't a prequel.
I predict that the writers will be unable to create much of the interpersonal drama that made Star Trek have more in common with Law and Order than it did Battlestar Gallactica.

Honestly the whole thing just feels like its about 5 years or more late, following the mentality of the current films that are rapidly losing popularity.

Ok I have now seen the first 2 episodes and about 7 minutes of episode 3, and the after trek show.

Overall I really enjoyed. It looked like a 100 million film, but in a TV show. The sets, costumes, props, makeup and special effects were extremely good quality. People really need to see episode 1 and 2 together, to really get a sense of the series. Episode 1 had some pacing issues, but what would you expect trying to cram all that into 40mins. Episode 2 really brings it together and has some really stunning action scenes. Even the Klingons which I had reservations about, looked decent and there story is actually intriguing. I don't know if I really post spoilers, since many people won't see this until tomorrow.

Episode 1 and 2 are really a prelude to the actual "Discovery" series, it is a set up to see how the Klingon war actually starts, and how Burnham is involved. I encourage everyone to do the free trial for all access and at least see the first 2 episodes before passing judgment. From some reviews I have seen on here and other sites, it seems like many people went into looking to hate because women are in command, gays in space!, and because it doesn't look like a 1960s show in the year 2017. Not even sure if half the reviewers have even fully watched the episodes before passing judgment. And look, I'm about as big of a star trek fan out there, and am going to need to have an open mind as to what to expect, but I was genuinely surprised I enjoyed so much. Also go back to every other trek series premiere, where "fans" cry out how its terrible and they will never watch again. Same things been happening since TNG....

There's a rumour going around that Nicholas Meyer (Wrath Of Khan director) is making a prime timeline Star Trek series, or is writing one that could replace Discovery should it fail.

It seems like CBS didn't want to pay for the rights to do a proper Prime series? I may have it backwards, but the rights holder situation is a mess.

This video helps to explain why Discovery isn't actually cannon.
He's not working on a series to replace a show, that premiered 6 hours ago. He's supposedly working on a mini series based on the early years of Khan. More content for all access.

Ok I have now seen the first 2 episodes and about 7 minutes of episode 3, and the after trek show.

Overall I really enjoyed. It looked like a 100 million film, but in a TV show. The sets, costumes, props, makeup and special effects were extremely good quality. People really need to see episode 1 and 2 together, to really get a sense of the series. Episode 1 had some pacing issues, but what would you expect trying to cram all that into 40mins. Episode 2 really brings it together and has some really stunning action scenes. Even the Klingons which I had reservations about, looked decent and there story is actually intriguing. I don't know if I really post spoilers, since many people won't see this until tomorrow.

Episode 1 and 2 are really a prelude to the actual "Discovery" series, it is a set up to see how the Klingon war actually starts, and how Burnham is involved. I encourage everyone to do the free trial for all access and at least see the first 2 episodes before passing judgment. From some reviews I have seen on here and other sites, it seems like many people went into looking to hate because women are in command, gays in space!, and because it doesn't look like a 1960s show in the year 2017. Not even sure if half the reviewers have even fully watched the episodes before passing judgment. And look, I'm about as big of a star trek fan out there, and am going to need to have an open mind as to what to expect, but I was genuinely surprised I enjoyed so much. Also go back to every other trek series premiere, where "fans" cry out how its terrible and they will never watch again. Same things been happening since TNG....

Not me. In fact, I think exploring those issues is part of what makes Star Trek great. No, my biggest problem is that it simply does not look like Star Trek.

they could have slapped on a different name and practically passed it off as something completely unrelated

He's not working on a series to replace a show, that premiered 6 hours ago. He's supposedly working on a mini series based on the early years of Khan. More content for all access.
Thanks,do you have a link to that? I'm working on an older rumour

This is the video I meant to link to

Even the Klingons which I had reservations about, looked decent and there story is actually intriguing.

You were the biggest defender of the new Klingon look in here. Those Klingons were every bit as awful as they initially looked.

Last edited:
You were the biggest defender of the new Klingon look in here. Those Klingons were every bit as awful as the initially looked.
Pigeonholing the Klingons into a religious zealot type thing is a mistake. They were great for the drinking, the cursing, basically being huge ornery rabble rousing crab headed space vikings. There's nowhere to go with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back