Star Citizen - just reached 52 million in crowd funding!!

Nik123

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So take it you guys have heard about Star Citizen, a ridiculously ambitious space sim which will include loads of ships to earn in game, the ability to take on almost any role in the universe (military, pirate, smuggler, bounty hunter), a deep economy, an ever expanding universe to explore, Newtonian physics flight model, and killer grahpics!!

I could go on forever...but you guys should check this out if you haven't already.

It's the largest crowd funded project ever seen, and its being made by Chris Roberts, the legend that gave us old school PC classics like Wing Commander and Privateer.

Picture this with Oculus Rift support (already a planned feature)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlIWJlz6-Eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_JC-ClscY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4UR5HRM5Us

search

search

search

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Edit - Embedding fail, if someone could help me embed the above links would be great!

So take it you guys have heard about Star Citizen, a ridiculously ambitious space sim which will include loads of ships to earn in game, the ability to take on almost any role in the universe (military, pirate, smuggler, bounty hunter), a deep economy, an ever expanding universe to explore, Newtonian physics flight model, and killer grahpics!!

I could go on forever...but you guys should check this out if you haven't already.

It's the largest crowd funded project ever seen, and its being made by Chris Roberts, the legend that gave us old school PC classics like Wing Commander and Privateer.

Picture this with Oculus Rift support (already a planned feature)..

AerialShot_Terra_Refined_v2_thumb.png

b0176f4ce9cfd9ba1b59f786a1d795df.jpg

1378648134_star-citizen.jpg

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Edit - Embedding fail, if someone could help me embed the above links would be great!

ftfy

Star Citizen does look great but the game has become almost a cult, there's guys on the reddit who have spent up to $10K real money on these ships they can't even barely do anything with and the money still keeps rolling in.

Is there a rule about keeping kickstarter money but not putting out a product?

Probably not? I know it's happened before, people getting taken on kickstarter. People *might* be able to sue over it, I'm not that hip on the law. I suppose it's probably more accurate to say they *will* sue over it, *might* win.

Personally, I've spent some money on the game but I understand it's a gamble. The guys spending $10k, I don't think they see things the same way.

would be hilarious if they never end up releasing this game.

10k on a video game fuuuck, unless your rich as hell or some small investor or buying shares or SOMETHING that's fucken stupid.

Holy fucking shit. :eek: Is it even possible to use all of that money developing a single video game?

Holy fucking shit. :eek: Is it even possible to use all of that money developing a single video game?

50 million is not that big a budget for a big game.
They've been starting new studios and stuff to put this out as the tech is built, and the scope of the game is fucking HUGE.

No unfortunately if you hit your goal you get to keep the money I believe? The thing is they would be crazy not to release this as a product? I believe they been saying it was going to be delivered in 2015? This is the problem with such a massive programming project on kickstarter. People want to play the thing but they likely did not realize how far along it was to being delivered. John Carmack was famous for saying its done when its done.

It's a hugely time consuming process to develop something of this nature with so many elements. In fact even with 52 million raised that's about what it takes now to develop such a cinematic game. Chris Roberts would have likely had a very hard time developing this without crowdfunding. Most big studios don't want to take on huge projects like this unless you have put out a hit recently.

Example is Destiny activision poured huge money into the development and promotion of the game. But Bungie had its history behind them with Halo franchise going into the development of Destiny. Chris has had passed success but that was sometime ago. Big risk for kickstarter backers but I am pretty sure he will deliver because this could be a billion dollar franchise.

Activision spends 4 times that amount just promoting Call of Duty.
And $40-$50 million on the game itself. It's a little depressing to see how significant a role marketing plays in the business. When the largest pay-wall gaming franchise in existence is spending 4x the amount on its marketing and launch budget that it is on development...well, woe is me.

50 million is not that big a budget for a big game.
They've been starting new studios and stuff to put this out as the tech is built, and the scope of the game is fucking HUGE.

Activision spends 4 times that amount just promoting Call of Duty.

Shows what I know. :icon_lol:

Anyway, hopefully the game lives up to the hype. It definitely sounds amazing, and even if 52 million isn't that impressive in general (and it blows my mind that it apparently isn't), the fact that it's all coming from Kickstarter... Yeah, heads will roll if they can't deliver.

That said, as much as the total surprised me, I wasn't at all shocked that individual people are throwing down $10k on it. The concept reminded me of EVE, where it's pretty common for people to spend ungodly amounts of real world money to get ahead.

Last edited:
I refuse to see this game as anything but vaporware until the day I actually play it.

How did they go from 2 million during kickstarter to 52 million? Someone funded a couple million perhaps?

I refuse to see this game as anything but vaporware until the day I actually play it.

I'm gonna wait til it officially releases to make a final judgment on quality and whether I'll buy it, but there are playable modules, so it's not like this is Duke Nukem Forever. Progress is being made.

How did they go from 2 million during kickstarter to 52 million? Someone funded a couple million perhaps?

There's something like 500k backers at the moment, they just keep doing ship 'sales' and new stretch goals for every million they hit, although I think they're starting to slow down a bit on those now.

Shows what I know. :icon_lol:

Anyway, hopefully the game lives up to the hype. It definitely sounds amazing, and even if 52 million isn't that impressive in general (and it blows my mind that it apparently isn't), the fact that it's all coming from Kickstarter... Yeah, heads will roll if they can't deliver.

That said, as much as the total surprised me, I wasn't at all shocked that individual people are throwing down $10k on it. The concept reminded me of EVE, where it's pretty common for people to spend ungodly amounts of real world money to get ahead.

it is no where near the same as EVE. I actually backed the game and played it, its way more combat focused then EVE. It plays different then EVE, hell its also a first person shooter.
hell im about get my 2nd ship here soon. =)
i've been waiting for a glorious space game like this. However i also got the Elite dangous game which is also cool

is this a desperation genre? maybe thats the reason why so many throw money at it even tho its far from finished?

it is no where near the same as EVE. I actually backed the game and played it, its way more combat focused then EVE. It plays different then EVE, hell its also a first person shooter.
hell im about get my 2nd ship here soon. =)
i've been waiting for a glorious space game like this. However i also got the Elite dangous game which is also cool

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that I think it's going to be the same as EVE (don't think I did, really), just that it reminded me of EVE. If they do the concept justice, it could inspire a similar level of obsession, and people are already throwing similarly insane amounts of money at it. :)

Back