Staph Infection Prevention

ssssmashing

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There has been an epidemic of Staph infections lately and I have seen a number of threads regarding Staph infections so I thought I would post this - hopefully it helps.

What is staph? Staph or staphylococcus is a bacterium that is very common and most forms are harmless. The form that is really becoming a real problem lately is staphylococcus aureus, which can infect the skin. It can live in dry surfaces like mats, pads and gym clothes. However it grows best in moist surfaces like sweaty gi

Tea tree oil is also a great anticeptic to use.

I had MRSA a year or two ago. It probably started as a spider bite that I scratched and developed from there. It still appeared to be a spider bite but started to swell. It was to the side of my spine on my upper back and after about two or three days, my shoulder muscles started aching like I had pulled something, especially when I moved my arm.

It's really gross when it developes into an abcess. They call MRSA a super bug and when left untreated, it basically digs a tunnel in your flesh and lives in the pus. If you don't get all the pus out, it keeps developing. So imagine you have these tunnels, you have to get all the crap out to the surface from the end of the tunnel. Plus your skin is in pain so getting everything out hurts like a bitch and you have to do it for a period of over a week until it's all gone.

The MRSA feeds off of sugars so it's better to eat very clean w/out any sugars if you get it. It also gets "confused" with strong scents. Tea tree oil is awesome, not only with the scent but it also help kill it off.

It's one of the reasons I spray my gloves w/ antibacterial Febreeze after every use and air dry them. If I don't wash my wraps between use (I never go more than two uses between washes) I also spray them with the Febreeze and hang them dry. I'm really paranoid about it now so I keep everything, including my gym bag, sprayed and also keep a bottle of tea tree oil around just in case.

Tea tree oil is also a great anticeptic to use.

I had MRSA a year or two ago. It probably started as a spider bite that I scratched and developed from there. It still appeared to be a spider bite but started to swell. It was to the side of my spine on my upper back and after about two or three days, my shoulder muscles started aching like I had pulled something, especially when I moved my arm.

It's really gross when it developes into an abcess. They call MRSA a super bug and when left untreated, it basically digs a tunnel in your flesh and lives in the pus. If you don't get all the pus out, it keeps developing. So imagine you have these tunnels, you have to get all the crap out to the surface from the end of the tunnel. Plus your skin is in pain so getting everything out hurts like a bitch and you have to do it for a period of over a week until it's all gone.

The MRSA feeds off of sugars so it's better to eat very clean w/out any sugars if you get it. It also gets "confused" with strong scents. Tea tree oil is awesome, not only with the scent but it also help kill it off.

It's one of the reasons I spray my gloves w/ antibacterial Febreeze after every use and air dry them. If I don't wash my wraps between use (I never go more than two uses between washes) I also spray them with the Febreeze and hang them dry. I'm really paranoid about it now so I keep everything, including my gym bag, sprayed and also keep a bottle of tea tree oil around just in case.

I've been there too, bruddah.

Buy a rashguard or some underarmour also.

Yes Tea tree oil a great antibacterial.

I can't stress this enough. Always shower after going to the gym. I see too many people that leave the gym and just get their sweaty ass in the car and do whatever. I can't wait that long. I don't mind taking a shower at the gym if it will prevent infection. That was a guy at my gym that got ringworm all over his face after rolling around.

any gym is a breeding ground for bacteria and every other nasty germs.....i shower right after training...antibacterial soap :icon_surp

This shit creeps me out, i want to train but i want to make sure i never get that shit...any strong advice?

This shit creeps me out, i want to train but i want to make sure i never get that shit...any strong advice?

Don't punch people in the teeth with your bare fists.

Don't stuff your cut hands into gloves used by everybody in the gym. Wash your hands as soon after you get your hands out of your gloves as you can, and before you pull your mouthguard out. Those little cuts on the inside of your lips are prone for infection. Take it from me, I got thrush thru one of these cuts. Thrush is fungal, but was an extremely painful six days where the sores in my mouth stuck to eachother. I lost 16 pounds.

Big ups to TS.

I've had it before and the doc cut it out of my leg with a pair of scissors w/out drugs. That was... fun.

I've since been using defense soap as my regular soap and haven't come close to having any issues with it.

http://www.defensesoap.com/

Don't punch people in the teeth with your bare fists.

Don't stuff your cut hands into gloves used by everybody in the gym. Wash your hands as soon after you get your hands out of your gloves as you can, and before you pull your mouthguard out. Those little cuts on the inside of your lips are prone for infection. Take it from me, I got thrush thru one of these cuts. Thrush is fungal, but was an extremely painful six days where the sores in my mouth stuck to eachother. I lost 16 pounds.

Big ups to TS.

i don't think having cuts in your mouth have to do with you GETTING thrush, but thrush can CAUSE some small cuts/open sores in the affected area.

i don't think having cuts in your mouth have to do with you GETTING thrush, but thrush can CAUSE some small cuts/open sores in the affected area.

I mean, they determined it to be non-viral. Antibiotics did not affect it. I would have to assume it was after sparring when I pulled my hand out of that nasty glove other people had been using that day as well and grabbed my mouthpiece out... when I had a little cut under my top lip. I don't know much about thrush but that's what they finally landed on when prednisone did the trick.

I had to take a week off work. My end of the conversation was non-existent. I couldn't kiss my girlfriend when we had sex. It was awesome!

Side note:

We used to know this girl, Stephanie, who everybody had sex with. We called her the Steph infection.

Nice job SSSSMASHING. Education is absolutely a necessity when it comes to fighting and/or preventing infection.

Cyclone Mike, Thanks for the shout out. I have been training 8 years now infection free. First 30 years not the case.

Guy
Defense Soap

I trained BJJ for a couple months, then one day I asked the instructor how often he cleans the mats, and he said "Well I try to do it once a week."

Try?

TRY?

That was the end of my BJJ training forever. I loved BJJ but fear ringworm/staph mightily. I guess the risk/reward ratio is just not good enough for me to go back to it. I'm trying to find some good boxing gym now, but I'm hearing staph is pretty common in boxing too.

If you guys take a microbiology class, you'll never touch anything again. Never eat out again. Sometimes never want to have sex again. The funny thing is that most people have no clue about what's around them, and what washing hands, antiseptic techniques, and certain chemicals do and don't do.

A lot of people think washing hands kills germs. Not in the least. You're just washing a lot of it away...and not all of it. Your hands will still have bacteria on them regardless. Boiling doesn't kill everything, neither does spraying something with disinfectant.

Humans will eventually lose the war against bacteria and viruses, and they will be on this earth long after humans are gone. All we can do is simply hold it at bay for as long as possible.

If you guys take a microbiology class, you'll never touch anything again. Never eat out again. Sometimes never want to have sex again. The funny thing is that most people have no clue about what's around them, and what washing hands, antiseptic techniques, and certain chemicals do and don't do.

A lot of people think washing hands kills germs. Not in the least. You're just washing a lot of it away...and not all of it. Your hands will still have bacteria on them regardless. Boiling doesn't kill everything, neither does spraying something with disinfectant.

Humans will eventually lose the war against bacteria and viruses, and they will be on this earth long after humans are gone. All we can do is simply hold it at bay for as long as possible.

Damn it!! Now i am going to have nightmares and wont be able to sleep..I hate bacteria infections!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back