Standing 8 count the most barbaric thing in the world."-Mir

Lesnar fisted Mur one too many times with his XXXXL's (that's 4 X's, his glove size). Back when Mur was Frank Mir, he was more intelligent. Ever seen his wife? Check her out. Thought I'd throw that in as some kind of proof.

Last edited:
You see boxing matches get stopped because the ref looks into someone's eyes and sees they're not there and we've seen lots of MMA fights where someone gets knocked out and still gets their face hammer fisted multiple times. Boxing can obviously be dangerous but I feel quick stoppages are also more common than MMA where the ref is often very late to stop things.
This.

The standing 8 is for the ref to assess. A good ref makes the standing 8 safer than mma.

Why are boxers better athletes?
I said the boxers we have here are better athletes. And by here I mean the western world with our technological advancements.

I said the boxers we have here are better athletes. And by here I mean the western world with our technological advancements.

Thaiand's a pretty developed country, and has been, particularly since the 90s. Granted, their wealth inequality is worse than the US's, so you have poor rural villages and ultra developed cities like Bangkok, but overall, it's not some rural backwards dump. Saying that there are better athletes may or may not be wrong, but you have to bring some kind of evidence. Particularly since Thais tend to compete with people (from all over the word) in all forms of striking combat sports and do well (hell, non-Thais generally aren't shit in MT). In fact, (and this is totally just based off of observation), the Thai guys tend to be some of the best conditioned guys in the sport and (at least in the clinch) are as strong as anybody. Also, as was pointed out, a lot of MT guys start from as early as 6. They're generally done by 25 (though, to be fair, they tend to be in the lower weight classes, which generally see guys exit their prime younger).

So continue hitting until the opponent is out cold?

smart.

My brother took a line drive to the head when he was a kid. Dropped him like a rock, out cold for several minutes. He's always been a cock, my mother always wondered about that incident, if it made him that way. Personally, I just think he's an asshole, but who knows.

I've heard the same thing about football players too.

football players are more like boxers, they sustain numerous brain impacts in each game/practice

Thaiand's a pretty developed country, and has been, particularly since the 90s. Granted, their wealth inequality is worse than the US's, so you have poor rural villages and ultra developed cities like Bangkok, but overall, it's not some rural backwards dump. Saying that there are better athletes may or may not be wrong, but you have to bring some kind of evidence.
My evidence is our athletes compared to theirs.
That is all

Yup, Thai boxers are some tough dudes, but I disagree that its even worse than boxing. The damage a boxer gets I think is more significant. Thai boxers get their share of concussions but they also dole out damage to their opponents legs and midsections. The concentration of damage in boxing is definitely to the head. Which I think is why it's much more brutal in the long run. Too many ex boxers who can no longer speak right or have gone insane (Jermain Taylor).

Would be interesting to see any studies done on this.

Pros have more rounds but yeah they do fight quite often and start from very young.

Yeah, my boxing coach used to be a great amateur boxer (made it to the olympics), but nowadays he has no short term memory. Like, none.

Shit is scary. He tells or asks you the same thing over and over again and looks for things that are in his hands. Then he "finds" it, and 30 seconds later he's looking for it again. He is only in his 40s so i worry for him when he's older

More proof that dem helmets have no purpose

Last edited:
Mma stops fights when someone is out of it? Or allows cheap shots like Hendo vs bisping?

one hard shot is still nothing compared to repeated sustained head trauma following a concussion. Look at football now, any sign of a concussion and you are out for the rest of the game and possibly additional games until you can pass a test. It's amazing boxing doesn't get the same coverage as NFL in regards to CTE and brain damage. Both football players and boxers " know what they are signing up for"

How many fights even have a standing 8 count? At least none of the major ones. It's a stupid rule that breaks the action. Not to be confused with the mandatory 8 count.

How many fights even have a standing 8 count? At least none of the major ones. It's a stupid rule that breaks the action. Not to be confused with the mandatory 8 count.
Most people use the terms interchangeably I think. Most don't realize the difference.

one hard shot is still nothing compared to repeated sustained head trauma following a concussion. Look at football now, any sign of a concussion and you are out for the rest of the game and possibly additional games until you can pass a test. It's amazing boxing doesn't get the same coverage as NFL in regards to CTE and brain damage. Both football players and boxers " know what they are signing up for"
You know I'm joking, chin up mate.

Back