Standing 8 count the most barbaric thing in the world."-Mir

Well what's the alternative? Stopping the fight the moment there's a knockdown?

Definitely NOT one of the most barbaric things in the world. If he really believes that then he needs to get out much.

What he probably meant was, one of the most barbaric things in sports. And I would agree.

Boxing has to be the most savage sport in the world. MMA you at least get quick flash KO and its over or you get a lock put on you and you tap out. Nothing like the repeated blows to the head and organs and then given the chance to get up again and take some more punishment until your body literally shuts off.

Definitely NOT one of the most barbaric things in the world. If he really believes that then he needs to get out much.

What he probably meant was, one of the most barbaric things in sports. And I would agree.

Boxing has to be the most savage sport in the world. MMA you at least get quick flash KO and its over or you get a lock put on you and you tap out. Nothing like the repeated blows to the head and organs and then given the chance to get up again and take some more punishment until your body literally shuts off.

Thai boxing is even worse. It's the undisputed king of harm in combat sports. Thai boxers are phsyically and mentally shot by the time they're 25 a great deal of the time.

Thai boxing is even worse. It's the undisputed king of harm in combat sports. Thai boxers are phsyically and mentally shot by the time they're 25 a great deal of the time.

It's because they fight so often. But the fights are only 3 rounds.

The insane training regimen plays a huge role in the wear and tear as well. I thai boxed for a couple years, and western boxed for a few more after that. I would take 12 rounds of boxing than 3 rds of thai boxing. My legs hurt just thinking of it.

Yup, Thai boxers are some tough dudes, but I disagree that its even worse than boxing. The damage a boxer gets I think is more significant. Thai boxers get their share of concussions but they also dole out damage to their opponents legs and midsections. The concentration of damage in boxing is definitely to the head. Which I think is why it's much more brutal in the long run. Too many ex boxers who can no longer speak right or have gone insane (Jermain Taylor).

Would be interesting to see any studies done on this.

Pros have more rounds but yeah they do fight quite often and start from very young.

Yup, Thai boxers are some tough dudes, but I disagree that its even worse than boxing. The damage a boxer gets I think is more significant. Thai boxers get their share of concussions but they also dole out damage to their opponents legs and midsections. The concentration of damage in boxing is definitely to the head. Which I think is why it's much more brutal in the long run. Too many ex boxers who can no longer speak right or have gone insane (Jermain Taylor).

Would be interesting to see any studies done on this.

Pros have more rounds but yeah they do fight quite often and start from very young.

Spread the punishment, appears sound. What is wrong with Jermain Taylor? I knew he was relatively punch drunk. Makes sense, considering he suffered a couple prolonged beatings and a few brutal ko losses. I heard of him shooting someone, maybe a family member, and getting petty time. Was there anything beyond that? Seemed like run of the mill athlete being an idiot to me. Did he attempt a comeback within the last year or two? I thought I saw something regarding that.

Mir is a bonehead. So whats better? Quick stoppages? Concussed opponents eating Fedor stye flying hammer fists?

The 8 count is all about safety. Mir doesn't know what he's talking about. It gives the ref, the corner and the fighter a chance to decide if the fight should go on.

Spread the punishment, appears sound. What is wrong with Jermain Taylor? I knew he was relatively punch drunk. Makes sense, considering he suffered a couple prolonged beatings and a few brutal ko losses. I heard of him shooting someone, maybe a family member, and getting petty time. Was there anything beyond that? Seemed like run of the mill athlete being an idiot to me. Did he attempt a comeback within the last year or two? I thought I saw something regarding that.
Taylor suffered from a skull fracture and brain bleeding after two brutal stoppage losses in a row. He may not be all the way there anymore.

He did have a few comeback fights, then all the legal issues happened.

the taylor interview where hes having a bubble bath and speaking on the shooting incident should tell you everything you need to know. dude aint' right. I'ts not that uncommon in regular life too, my dad got hit in the head in a streetfight with a bat and people said he wasn't right, of course I never saw that as a child. Hell, how many people are just plain fucking wierd without brain damage?

No Frank, eating Brock's strawberries is one of the most brutal things in the world.

Unregulated/under-regulated boxing in Thailand and the Philippines is the most brutal things in sports. Thai promoters would match an under-experienced Filipino boxer against a Thai fighter with white-cement loaded gloves. That has happened and Filipino boxers have died because of it.

Boxing is more dangerous than Thai boxing.
Especially back in the day when they fought 3 times a week for an endless amount of rounds.
Plus boxers we have here are generally better athletes than they got in Thailand. So they're hitting harder and faster than there Thai counterparts.

Standing 8 count which is also known as the protection count.

<5>

You see boxing matches get stopped because the ref looks into someone's eyes and sees they're not there and we've seen lots of MMA fights where someone gets knocked out and still gets their face hammer fisted multiple times. Boxing can obviously be dangerous but I feel quick stoppages are also more common than MMA where the ref is often very late to stop things.

Boxing is more dangerous than Thai boxing.
Especially back in the day when they fought 3 times a week for an endless amount of rounds.
Plus boxers we have here are generally better athletes than they got in Thailand. So they're hitting harder and faster than there Thai counterparts.
Why are boxers better athletes?

the taylor interview where hes having a bubble bath and speaking on the shooting incident should tell you everything you need to know. dude aint' right. I'ts not that uncommon in regular life too, my dad got hit in the head in a streetfight with a bat and people said he wasn't right, of course I never saw that as a child. Hell, how many people are just plain fucking wierd without brain damage?
My brother took a line drive to the head when he was a kid. Dropped him like a rock, out cold for several minutes. He's always been a cock, my mother always wondered about that incident, if it made him that way. Personally, I just think he's an asshole, but who knows.

I've heard the same thing about football players too.

Boxing is the worst for CTE. Thai boxers have mangled bodies, but their brains are in tact.

My brother took a line drive to the head when he was a kid. Dropped him like a rock, out cold for several minutes. He's always been a cock, my mother always wondered about that incident, if it made him that way. Personally, I just think he's an asshole, but who knows.

I've heard the same thing about football players too.
could be, there have been serial killers, that guy ramirez for one, who thought a childhood brain injury made him a killer. it seems to be a patter amongst serial killers, brain damage at a developmental time. also, i knew a lady who said she had a brain injury as a girl and she came out of it with all kinds of artistic abilities. she was kinda nutty, just seemed to lack empathy, she wasn't a bad person, just seemed out of touch with how others might feel.

A lot of Thai Boxers also start fighting professionally before they are 13 in Thailand as well

Back