Stance switching

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
Anyone else favor switching stances as opposed to fighting out of one stance?

Whats some techniques you guys use or some situations you may switch stance in?

Curious as to what you use and the thought process behind it.

The common opinion in boxing circles is to stick to one stance and get very good at fighting from there.

With combat Sports where there are more options like Muay Thai and MMA, it can be easier to mix up stances without ill effect.

The common opinion in boxing circles is to stick to one stance and get very good at fighting from there.

With combat Sports where there are more options like Muay Thai and MMA, it can be easier to mix up stances without ill effect.
True but some greats do use it to amazing ends. Andre ward, crawford, tyson, golovkin, loma all use the opposite stance at one point or another. Hell there's the fitzsimmons shift and willie peps V step too if you want to go older

My left side has naturally always been more strong and stable. The coach suspects my right hip is more flexibile. But due to me been ortho my entire training history, I only use 'sp attacks' sparingly.

Eg my left Overhand and cross to thr body is nasty, so I'll ring cut and walk down them to the fence/ropes and use them when I feel I can set them up. I don't stay there for long, to me its no different than a switch kick

My left side has naturally always been more strong and stable. The coach suspects my right hip is more flexibile. But due to me been ortho my entire training history, I only use 'sp attacks' sparingly.

Eg my left Overhand and cross to thr body is nasty, so I'll ring cut and walk down them to the fence/ropes and use them when I feel I can set them up. I don't stay there for long, to me its no different than a switch kick

Ive been playing with the concept of "letting the opponent switch for you". so for example if i throw a off rhythm cross-lead hook(from ortho) and my opponent circles away to my left i cut them off with a sp cross-lead hook (switching to sp on the hook reload).

Just using cross-lead hook as a simple combo to get the movments down but im working it from shadow boxing to non moving bag to double end bag and now sparring. works amazing for sp rear high kick too
...fighting can be trippy but so simple mang

Ive been playing with the concept of "letting the opponent switch for you". so for example if i throw a off rhythm cross-lead hook(from ortho) and my opponent circles away to my left i cut them off with a sp cross-lead hook (switching to sp on the hook reload).

Just using cross-lead hook as a simple combo to get the movments down but im working it from shadow boxing to non moving bag to double end bag and now sparring. works amazing for sp rear high kick too
I used to do that but a bit differently. Guys who always walked me down I'd bait them by one backstep which wqs my stance switch thrn I'd counter. Usually power left kick or a cross. Since I'm stable and the weight dist. is there its basically a full powered strike

I've found this to be better than just switching quickly infront of your opponent. I think part of what makes changing stances hard to deal with is not expecting it, and the different setups it brings. When you just switch while standing infront of them i feel they expect it and can better prepare/adapt

Who switches stances when ducking under, I can load a sweet punch this way.
Another application would be backstepping with the lead leg to switch stance while executing a now lead hook followed by a rear straight. The lead hook can also be used to lower the guard in order for the rear straight to land or instead of the lead hook use a parry. You should train both sides in order to use these.

Last edited:
The way I like to switch is in between punches so that you're getting off shots whilst your changing stances. I also like to step out at an angle to make it somewhat safer to switch.

• For Orthodox to make an angle and switch stance moving to your right, first step short in with your left jab, then step forward with your right foot as you throw the right cross. Now you are in southpaw and off to the side of the opponent.
  • For Ortho to make an angle and switch stances moving to your left, short side step with left jab, then step forward with your right whilst throwing a straight right. Finish in the southpaw stance by throwing the rear left to square you up.

True but some greats do use it to amazing ends. Andre ward, crawford, tyson, golovkin, loma all use the opposite stance at one point or another. Hell there's the fitzsimmons shift and willie peps V step too if you want to go older
Yeah, I think shifting is key to boxing.. and no its not common in boxing circles to stick to one stance. I have no clue where dreadlock got that info.. probably hasnt boxed a day in his life

Another nice switch combo is this here:

Switch and throw a gazelle punch.

Switching stances happens mostly in between shots in boxing, but it is promoted to re adjust asap.

I have been playing with right side pivot the last days and I find myself into a SP very often positioned to deliver a nice left hook.

Yeah, I think shifting is key to boxing.. and no its not common in boxing circles to stick to one stance. I have no clue where dreadlock got that info.. probably hasnt boxed a day in his life

Serious? Then why do the overwhelming majority of boxers I watch *never* switch stance?

Serious? Then why do the overwhelming majority of boxers I watch *never* switch stance?

Because it's similar to writing with the opposite hand, if you learn with one hand you will never be able to write with the other hand, you must learn with both hands from the beginning and that amounts to double training time.

I think its beneficial and to fight MT at a high level I think it is a must. Chances are your going to end up into a "southpaw" position at some point during a fight. You dont need to be a master at "southapaw" but at least be able to defend yourself so you can get back to your regular stance. Now if you master southpaw and are just as comfortable in both stances, even better as you have now opened a ton of angles and can fight much trickier, utilizing the southpaw advantage when you want to etc. I have been working my southpaw but bag and pads not so hard, sparring harder, fighting hardest. One more thing to add, is that if you get good with your left leg from a southpaw stance, it will help you with your left leg switch kick from orthodox. Dont beleive me? See how much easier your R leg switch kick is from southpaw.

as far as drills, just work the basics man and build up from there. Some of the things i have been doing is doing rounds on even numbers, so for example if I do 6 rounds, 3 are orthodox, 3 are southpaw. I find kicking, punching etc. not the difficult part but the hard part is the footwork, you will want to move your orthodox way because its ingrained already.

When boxing I fight out of one stance.
When doing Shotokan I fight out of both which is mandatory in training.

I'm new to it, and at first the hesitation worried me because it was not a common practice, and my CNS was not accustomed to it. However, now that I'm getting more exposure to it I think I can make a benefit of it.

Switching stances, and getting countered can be a problem. If you're hit while switching your base will not be solid, and could cause a knockdown.

If nothing else, it gives the opponent different looks which is a strategy used often. Marvin Hagler was famous for his switch stance.

Because it's similar to writing with the opposite hand, if you learn with one hand you will never be able to write with the other hand, you must learn with both hands from the beginning and that amounts to double training time.

It was a leading question. @Zodd said something to the effect that stance switching was common in boxing...but in my experience as a spectator and hobbyist, it's not common at all.

TJ Dillashaw and Dwayne Ludwig briefly discuss switch hitting on the Joe Rogan Podcast the other day.

Back