stallandro lo

trustdoesntrust

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
getting really sick of lo's "strategy." he gets a narrow lead, whether an ineffectual sweep or ineffectual advantage, then walks backward to the edge of the mat and sticks his butt out of bounds so that any sweep or takedown attempt will lead to a restart. chickenshit ibjjf refs need to start cracking down on stalling, just ridiculous.

a guy who use to compete at 167 now fighting 208 he has to do what eh has to do to win tbh i think hes in top 3 p4p guys ever nobody else can go u that many weights and still win a world title i just wish hed at least go back to 181 now hes so bloated he isnt as technical and fast with his passing

His last match against another staller was boring

a guy who use to compete at 167 now fighting 208 he has to do what eh has to do to win tbh i think hes in top 3 p4p guys ever nobody else can go u that many weights and still win a world title i just wish hed at least go back to 181 now hes so bloated he isnt as technical and fast with his passing

a few reasons why i don't put him in any all-time great discussion:

1. he is the poster child for steroids in jiu-jitsu, which i think also invalidates any claims of p4p greatness

2. he has never won anything major outside ibjjf gi rules, and has increasingly developed a style that egregiously exploits ibjjf rules

3. he has an extremely low submission rate despite his extremely high won/loss rate, and often wins matches without ever hitting a 'dangerous' move or dominating positionally

4. he has not innovated the game in any significant way, and does not really have a signature victory, sequence, or "im gonna tell my grandkids about this" moment

Last edited:

Dem roids doe

1. he is the poster child for steroids in jiu-jitsu, which i think also invalidates any claims of p4p greatness

2. he has never won anything major outside ibjjf gi rules, and has increasingly developed a style that egregiously exploits ibjjf rules

3. he has an extremely low submission rate despite his extremely high won/loss rate, and often wins matches without ever hitting a 'dangerous' move or dominating positionally

4. he has not innovated the game in any significant way, and does not really have a signature victory, sequence, or "im gonna tell my grandkids about this" moment
Agreed on most counts, but I think he deserves a good portion of the credit for popularizing the floating post/knee-up-the-middle pass system.

man so many guys are doing it though when the myiao bros are on it u know everyone is tons have said mendes bros were as well

Agreed on most counts, but I think he deserves a good portion of the credit for popularizing the floating post/knee-up-the-middle pass system.
i never seen him dong this thought he mostly does torriando passes with the pants

So many of these guys use steroids that I believe it is at the point where you can't hold it against any one competitor.

Try watching wrestling sometimes.. especially some of the Russian team (they are really guilty for this): scoring early and having a 1/2 point lead for the whole 6 minutes. When they lose it is so frustrating.

So many of these guys use steroids that I believe it is at the point where you can't hold it against any one competitor.

i'm not sure i agree with that. firstly, many guys aren't using steroids, including Lo rivals Lucas Lepri and Keenan Cornelius. secondly, "Open Weight Lo" (a la "TRT Vitor") has developed a style (explode then stall) that largely depends on steroids to be effective

You dont know that. Using low doses to not jump a weight class and types of drugs that dont hold much water weight so you dont look obvious would be the pro move.

i'm not sure i agree with that. firstly, many guys aren't using steroids, including Lo rivals Lucas Lepri and Keenan Cornelius.

How can you know if someone is NOT using steroids? Tons of steroids pass drug tests at every olympics and people who don't like they lift get caught for roids.

How can you know if someone is NOT using steroids? Tons of steroids pass drug tests at every olympics and people who don't like they lift get caught for roids.

you're right that we can't know for sure absent rigorous drug testing. however, neither keenan nor lepri has undergone the massive body transformation that Lo has. I mean, if we're talking about a steroid era in modern BJJ then Leandro Lo is the Sammy Sosa of it.

Last edited:
absent rigorous drug testing

Drug testing rigorous enough to prove that someone is *NOT* on steroids hasn't been used in any international sports (dunno maybe in North Koren foosball the secret police watches the participants).

i'm not sure i agree with that. firstly, many guys aren't using steroids, including Lo rivals Lucas Lepri and Keenan Cornelius. secondly, "Open Weight Lo" (a la "TRT Vitor") has developed a style (explode then stall) that largely depends on steroids to be effective
Don’t be naive. The bjj scene is rampant with steroid use.

you're right that we can't know for sure absent rigorous drug testing. however, neither keenan nor lepri has undergone the massive body transformation that Lo has. I mean, if we're talking about a steroid era in modern BJJ then Leandro Lo is the Sammy Sosa of it.
Dunno about steroid era, bjj has always been full of steroids. Steroids are a big part of Brazilian culture in general

Why is it so obvious that Leandro is on steroids?. Seriously with guys like Claudio Calasans, Andre Galvao, Cyborg etc, etc competing Leandro stands out?.

It’s mostly because he was competing whippet thin for a long time and then suddenly bulked up. Call it the Overeem principle; horsemeat is assumed.

Back