Squatting and stretching - calf pain

Wariowokecancel

You can cancel but you can’t wake
@Gold
Reaction score
I think I overdid some stretching or maybe under did and after some angry squatting on Friday have severe calf pain. I’m hobbling around. Combined with an old sprained ankle which was passing but now seems to be compounding the problem, I’m not enjoying this.

Any ideas apart from rest, ice and Ibuprofen? Full range of movement, no bruises or obvious swelling. I can put my palms on the floor not just touch my toes, do some burps but walking is a bitch.

Magnesium depletion? Potassium? Calcium?

I must be getting old. I don’t usually take pain pills because pain I can handle better than stress.

Edit: I had massage last week and the masseuse said I had obvious tension in the calves - because of the ankle - maybe I just overworked stressed compensating muscles.

Last edited:
I think I overdid some stretching or maybe under did and after some angry squatting on Friday have severe calf pain. I’m hobbling around. Combined with an old sprained ankle which was passing but now seems to be compounding the problem, I’m not enjoying this.
Don't use ice. Do a hot foot/calf bath. Cold isn't really good on injuries, but heat and warmth helps a lot in my experience.

Coincidentally, the inventor of R.I.C.E agrees now that cold doesn't help:
https://www.verywellfit.com/when-to-ice-3120707

To quote:
The physician who coined the acronym "R.I.C.E" in the late 70s has changed his stance on the importance of using ice on a sports injury. Dr. Gabe Mirkin, who wrote one of the most popular books about Sports Medicine, recently wrote a post updating his position on the recommendation to use "rest, ice, compression and elevation" for the immediate treatment of sports injuries, such as strains and sprains. Citing current evidence, Dr. Mirkin writes that it now "appears that both ice and complete rest may delay healing, instead of helping."

And tbh, I don't know how anyone ever had the idea of icing a painful injury - it instinctively feels like sh*t. YMMV of course, but icing isn't really any good except for immediate pain relief (but in my experience, it doesn't even work for that).

I must be getting old. I don’t usually take pain pills because pain I can handle better than stress.
Nothing to do with age, more like something to do with squatting heavy - the big 3 WILL injure you, it's a matter of when, not if.

Just to talk from my own experience: I contused my knuckles badly from punching trees as a kid (they were all grey/black and super painful), I then iced them (as was popular knowledge) and it took several painful months to heal. As an older adult, when I again contused my knuckles from breaking boards with my hand this time, I showered off the hand with water so hot it was barely comfortable and it just took a few weeks to heal, with no pain and hassle. They didn't even change color and I just did shadow boxing and drills for a few weeks without any problems.

Is it DOMS or like you fucked something up?

Full range of movement, can handle my standing, doing squats painfully - without weights, tip toes without pain, it’s on both sides, don’t think I could rip something on both legs at the same time, hobbling is the issue.

Last edited:
Don't use ice. Do a hot foot/calf bath. Cold isn't really good on injuries, but heat and warmth helps a lot in my experience.

To quote:
The physician who coined the acronym "R.I.C.E" in the late 70s has changed his stance on the importance of using ice on a sports injury. Dr. Gabe Mirkin, who wrote one of the most popular books about Sports Medicine, recently wrote a post updating his position on the recommendation to use "rest, ice, compression and elevation" for the immediate treatment of sports injuries, such as strains and sprains. Citing current evidence, Dr. Mirkin writes that it now "appears that both ice and complete rest may delay healing, instead of helping."

And tbh, I don't know how anyone ever had the idea of icing a painful injury - it instinctively feels like sh*t. YMMV of course, but icing isn't really any good except for immediate pain relief (but in my experience, it doesn't even work for that).

Nothing to do with age, more like something to do with squatting heavy - the big 3 WILL injure you, it's a matter of when, not if.

Just to talk from my own experience: I contused my knuckles badly from punching trees as a kid (they were all grey/black and super painful), I then iced them (as was popular knowledge) and it took several painful months to heal. As an older adult, when I again contused my knuckles from breaking boards with my hand this time, I showered off the hand with water so hot it was barely comfortable and it just took a few weeks to heal, with no pain and hassle. They didn't even change color and I just did shadow boxing and drills for a few weeks without any problems.

Yeah I read that about ice packs as well. I’ve got some ice burns from putting an ice pack on the sprained ankle. But it works short term.

However I’ve been applying some warming this time. But I’m wary of adding heat to what might be an inflammation.

Thx.

Might be DOMS, timeline suggests it is. I usually react with a delay.

To quote:

Ice still has its uses, but it's something that should be used sparringly and at the right time. Depends on the context really.

Lay off the coke, whiskey and strippers, Wario.

My mistake. Up the intake of coke, whiskey and strippers, Wario.

DOMS.

Definitely. It’s passed but now the ankle sprain is back probably because of compensation.

Back