Squatting after an injury

I burst fractured 6 vertebrae in my C and T-spine. And fractured my skull.

I did a lot of nothing for a long time. When I finally started lifting in 2009, believe me, I had to start from lower than Square 1.

It'll pay off and be nothing but a blip on the radar in the long run.

Just curious, did you reinjure your knee playing soccer again or lifting?

I stumbled going down a stairway out of college on a rainy day. As stupid as this may sound, it is the truth. I was in a hurry because I was late and my injured leg foot slipped from a step to the one below and I "landed" with all my weight on my fully extended injured knee on the next step. I don't known if I am explaining this well enough to be honest.

When I tore my meniscus I also sprained my ACL and I never fully healed it because I did no therapy at the time (the stupidity of a 22 year old is amazing). From what my doctor told me since I was still in a rehabilitation process and my muscle had not yet developed enough to compensate the lack of some meniscus my knee was still unstable and with that little "accident" I sprained my ligament again. I had to take some medication for the inflammation in the ligament and also had to do a few months of therapy.

All things considered I guess I was lucky I didn't ruin my knee for good with all that

i've been through a similar ordeal lately. after various investigations into a pain in my left glute (originally diagnosed as piriformis syndrome) i discovered two herniated discs (S5/L1) as well as my sciatic issue.
after 6 months not training i have recently started lifting again. i was led to believe that bio-mechanically speaking i am pretty sound. it is quite painful if i over arch my spine so i have modified my techniques accordingly. i am running a 531 program and started from around 50% of my previous loads. i have found:
-squatting is ok. i squat LB and have found that my back is ok with the weights. i have started to use the SSB for more volume as that seems to be easier on the lower back.
-benching is also ok. i reduce my arch by keeping my feet up on the bench for the majority of my warm-up and incorporate a slight arch, with feet flat on the floor for my work sets. any volume is done without an arch.
-OHP is a no no. any arching while pressing is painful. i've started working on my shoulder mobility a lot to see if that helps.
-deadlifting is doable but can be painful if too heavy. leaning back at lock-out is very painful. i have started trying to pull sumo to see if that is easier on the spine but i'm a novice so the jury is still out.
-any additional work is usually made up with dips/chins as the spinal decompression feels good.

it's good to be lifting again.

Back