Squat more with feet closer together?

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
Honestly, I think the difference between low-bar and high-bar gets exaggerated, and over thought, a lot of the time. It's not uncommon for some of the lifters at my gym to warm-up high-bar and switch to low-bar for their work sets. If you weren't paying attention closely, or they didn't mention they were did this, you wouldn't even notice.

I squat low bar with pretty much the same stance as high bar *shrug* it just feels like the most comfortable stance for me no matter the bar placement.

Interesting. I always found a wider foot placement more comfortable with LB. Maybe it comes down to anthopometry. I have long limbs.

It's a tradeoff between how comfortable and natural the motion is between how much leverage you get.

Then I think shoulder-width is too narrow. In your OP you said you tried squatting with your feet "quite a bit farther apart" than shoulder-width. Why don't you split the difference and see how it feels?

Does anyone else who squats LB squat with a shoulder-width stance? Maybe I'm wrong. And I guess it will also depend on anthropometry.

I squat with a shoulder-width stance. My squat stance gravitated wider and wider for a short period of time, until one day I drove out of my first rep at 260 and was greeted with the feeling that my taint was ripping in two until I got out of the hole.

I've learned my lesson; narrow feels best.

**Update**

Shoulder-width or slightly less with feet almost parallel is definitely the way to go for me.

Most people won't have nearly enough hip mobility to hit depth with that wide of a squat.

But Lusst is a bit of a freak.

I think his 600 lb squat was slightly narrower, but it's hard to tell because it was filmed from the side.

Back