Spying on Trump confirmed: Operation Crossfire Hurricane/FBI planted a mole

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by bobgeese, May 17, 2018.

1. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Lol. You are angry today, El Presidente.

What assertions have I made that have you so bothered? I'm far from clear that any of this is true, and I've gone out of my way to insert alleged at every point specifically because I'm not sure whether the evidence supports it. But if it does, then Trump would be correct, this would be bigger than Watergate, which was after all a scandal not about breaking and entering but about spying on the political opposition.

waiguoren, Johnny Mac and bobgeese like this.
  2. IngaVovchanchyn

I'd argue that a) this is also a good description of what Trump's critics have been busy with for the past year and b) they are not mutually exclusive.

3. bobgeese

bobgeese Silver Belt

Honest question Trotsky, if you could take off your partisan cap (your ms13 thread) and put on your legal cap for a moment.

Is this not the textbook definition of entrapment?

“The act of government agents or officials that induces aperson to commit a crime he or she is not previouslydisposed to commit.

Entrapment is a defense to criminal charges when it is established that the agent or official originated the idea of the crime and induced the accused to engage in it.”

The fbi planted a spy to coerce Papadopoulos into making statements which would be used to charge him later.

I don’t have the time to go through the whole timeline (which I posted above) but if you’re interested you should, but I’m curious as to your thoughts or any other lawyers thoughts on this.

4. HomerThompson

HomerThompson Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Platinum Member

MY problem is that you haven't made any assertions. You're just speculating and going with what you want to be true. It's intellectually embarrassing. You should strive to be better than that.

"If it's true that Donald Trump was literally Satan, that would be super crazy. If it's true that the President is Satan we're in a lot of trouble as a country. We need transparency going forward."

Strychnine likes this.
  5. HomerThompson

{<doc}

Strychnine likes this.
  6. Execute

Execute Gold Belt Platinum Member

An informant was used in an active investigation. I don't get what the big deal is.

7. HomerThompson

BUT IT WAS SPYING THOUGH!!!!!

DADDY!!!

MAGA!!!

Sohei, Strychnine and Ophydian like this.
  8. Ophydian

Ophydian Purple Belt

So Bobby are you saying that every organized crime that the FBI has used the same tactics is illegal?

Once I read the article I’ll be able to respond better but when you say the FBI was trying to get out front of this story are you meaning like how Trump sent Giuliani on Fox to get out front of his continuous lies about the Stormy Daniels payment? Because what I see here is the FBI trying to get out front not because they lied like Trump but to get to the story before Trump and his propaganda arm Foxnews twists the narrative.

9. bobgeese

bobgeese Silver Belt

From what is alleged, at least reported by the nyt, this predates the start of the investigation.

10. Dolomite

Dolomite Red Belt

11. Ophydian

Ophydian Purple Belt

He can’t. Not until Hannity puts up another chart. This is called good police work. Wrong doing would be if the FBI posed as Russians representing Putin and tried to trap Trump when there was no evidence to do so.

12. bobgeese

bobgeese Silver Belt

It looks an awful lot like the abuse of federal agencies powers in order to spy on a political opponent.

I think Kimberly Strassel answers in the OP are better than what I can offer. Honestly speaking.

waiguoren and Contra-dictator like this.
  13. Bloody Pulp

Bloody Pulp Silver Belt

Nixon wasn’t spying, breh. He just used an informant to make sure his opponents weren’t breaking any laws in their headquarters.

14. HomerThompson

<TrumpWrong1>

From your own linked source in the OP:

WASHINGTON — Within hours of opening an investigation into the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia in the summer of 2016, the F.B.I. dispatched a pair of agents to London on a mission so secretive that all but a handful of officials were kept in the dark.

Their assignment, which has not been previously reported, was to meet the Australian ambassador, who had evidence that one of Donald J. Trump’s advisers knew in advance about Russian election meddling. After tense deliberations between Washington and Canberra, top Australian officials broke with diplomatic protocol and allowed the ambassador, Alexander Downer, to sit for an F.B.I. interview to describe his meeting with the campaign adviser, George Papadopoulos.

15. IngaVovchanchyn

Lol?

1. You rudely asked that I provide evidence to support my assertions. Here:
    When I responded that I hadn't made any assertions about what happened here, you changed your tune entirely. And now your problem is that I haven't made any assertions. This is incoherent. Which is it?

2. I also didn't speculate at all about what happened here or whether or not any of the things being said are true. I don't know. It's been all "if" and "alleged" with me.

3. And finally, as for going with what I want to be true, I expressed clearly what I want here:
    I do agree that this thread has contained material that is intellectually embarrassing.

16. Fawlty

Fawlty Raepublican

"All law enforcement is illegitimate when it is investigating my wrongdoing."

There isn't enough information to determine if there's a problem here. And even if there is a problem, that does not magically erase crimes committed by Trump's people.

17. Bobby 3 Sticks

Bobby 3 Sticks Green Belt

Just saw this gem:

Looks like my Sater theory is pretty ( bay)rock solid

18. bobgeese

bobgeese Silver Belt

But homer, go back and look at the timeline, when was he (dunker I think the name is) debriefed, it was AFTER the planted the spy to get Papadopoulos to talk.

The claim was that the investigation was started because of what Papadopulos said, that simply can’t be true, because they planted a spy before that ever happened.

How can they be “investigating” prior to the start of the investigation?

19. bobgeese

bobgeese Silver Belt

Nobody claimed it does. That’s a straw man argument to deflect from the obama administration abusing the powers of federal agencies to spy on political opponents.

20. HomerThompson

Papadopulous talked to the High Commissioner to Britain Alexander Downer in May of 2016. The Australian Ambassador to the U.S. reported the conversation to the FBI.

May.

Strychnine and PolishHeadlock like this.