Sprints, what better: 5x400 metres or 5x800?

Italianissimo

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
We use a lot this form of conditioning.
In case of high level atheltes we work on 2 times a week with this kind of routine (usually 5x400).
We have Jiu Jitsu and MMA fighters

Neither of those two options involve sprints.

Bro, have you ever actually attempted to *sprint* 400 meters?

For starters, 800 m is a middle distance event.

400 m is a track & field sprinting event, but it's only really a sprint for well-trained T&F athletes.

Unless you or your BJJ and MMA fighters are well-trained 400-m-specialized t&f athletes, there is no way in bloody hell you can ever *sprint* 5x400.

Obviously you can'y. Anyway, if you are smart as I think you are, I am sure you have understood the sense

Obviously you can'y. Anyway, if you are smart as I think you are, I am sure you have understood the sense
Listen, I'll try to help.

In order to find the answer to your question, first you need to find the answer to this: "Why the hell am I having my athletes do 5x400 and 5x800 m high-intensity running intervals?"

TS, isn't it better to do 10x100 m with 30s-60s rest between each sprint? Ask that to your coach.

In order to find the answer to your question, first you need to find the answer to this: "Why the hell am I having my athletes do 5x400 and 5x800 m high-intensity running intervals?"
Aerobic power, VO2Max and areobic resistence

Better for what OP? That's like asking if it's better to do 5x5 squats or 5x10. Depends on what you're trying to do.

Aerobic power, VO2Max and areobic resistence

All of which can be accomplished via parameters technically but specifically what goals do you hope each would benefit that you would suggest 5x400 or 5x800 that cant be done with 100m sprint segments with varying work to rest ratios?

Little reality check.

3x400 with 4min rest between. Nick (purple shirt) is a former Olympic runner. This is “sprint” pace.

I would suggest running 6 laps (1.5 miles) for time. At a moderate pace. 12-14 mins to complete would be a good starting point for new runners.

Last edited:
All of which can be accomplished via parameters technically but specifically what goals do you hope each would benefit that you would suggest 5x400 or 5x800 that cant be done with 100m sprint segments with varying work to rest ratios?
100s are mostly anaerobic while 400s and 800s are aerobic.

It is surely for fat loss and making them train near vo2max

It is surely for fat loss and making them train near vo2max
If you are running repeated 400m "sprints" for fat loss, then you're going about it the wrong way, mang.

Back