Sprinting on treadmills

damn, i set my treadmill on an incline for the first time and it was tough! i consider myself pretty well in shape, but wow.

ive been running a mile to warm up, just cruising, then setting the incline and beginning my intervals. a real ass kicker, plus, even if you dont have much time, its VERY easy to modify your workout for the amount of time that you have. a track is better, but the treadmill is a great tool to have in your toolbox

I've run on a treadmill for years, and I run just fine on regular surfaces. In fact, I ran my 10k PR off of a winter of nothing but treadmill work.

My favorite workout on the Tmill utilizes intervals, typically 2-5 mins with varying intensities depending on interval length and rest period. Variety is key, and the intensity can be based on the speed or the incline.

I get a killer workout in 30 minutes that is highly conducive to fighting success.

Oh, yea, you can get a good HIIT on a treadmill. Here's one I use that is rough, it's only 20 minutes which is great if you're like me and have to cram work out time, but it's ugly and you can increase the time, speed, or incline if you're a superhero:

Speed @ 6.5 Incline @ 0 for 3 min.
Speed @ 7 Incline @ 2 for 3 min.
Speed @ 7 Incline @ 4 for 2 min.
Speed @ 7 Incline @ 6 for 1 min.
Speed @ 7 Incline @ 0 for 1 min.
Speed @ 7 Incline @ 2 for 3 min.
Speed @ 7 Incline @ 4 for 2 min.
Speed @ 7 Incline @ 6 for 1 min.
Speed @ 1 Incline @ 1 for 1 min.
Speed @ 6.5 Incline @ 0 for 3 min.

Give that a try and tell us how it felt :icon_chee

If you liked it I have another one.

I hate sprints on the treadmill because they limit leg drive...

do you have to use a treadmill?

this might as well just be a debate... i already know they are inefficient. i agree with the leg drive not being utilized.
i can also agree with treadmills helping on a 10K run. they do help somewhat.. might as well just put treadmills in the same category as stationary bikes and things of that type..

yea, you can't run as fast as you can on a treadmill, but the whole goal of anerobic exercise is to increase the effeciency of your heart/cardiorespiratory system. The whole point of sprints is to get your heart rate up to a max and allow little time for recovery. Eventually your heart gets stronger, which increases your wind and you will need less recovery time between bouts of intense activity. You can do this on a treadmill too, it's all about preference. I personally love sprinting, but I have constant access to a treadmill and don't always have the option of sprinting. Even really intense bag drills are just as good as sprinting. All it is pushing your body to it's max, giving it a little recovery, and doing it over and over again until you're superhuman.

Back