Sprinting on treadmills

delta21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is this effective at all? Your opinions of LSD running on a treadmill would be cool as well.
Can you gain explosive power from doing sprints on the treadmill? I always feel like i'm getting more of a knee to ankle workout more than all the way to my hips and mid section as far as static movement goes when sprinting on a treadmill. It feels like theres no push-off effect from running on this piece of equipment, as if you only jump up to keep your feet moving as the belt does... Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!

I set the incline to 13% and the speed at 7mph, go for a minute on, then a minute off. Do as many as I can.

You can't sprint on a track or road or dirt somewhere?

You can't sprint on a track or road or dirt somewhere?
Yeah i have about a 100 yard stretch of road i can use, i will have to rough it i guess. but this does pretty much rule that treadmills are not efficient though, right?

i run some intervals on the treadmill, cause its cold ass hell, and the tracks have about 6 inches of snow on the them. It works fine you can get a good workout and push for self quite a bit on them. Its defently not as good as regular sprinting or running and changes your technique a bit as well.

I use treadmill in the winter because of the cold and snow. Like T-mac said above, adjust the incline up, don't run on a 0% incline.

You can definetely get faster and become a more explosive runner from treadmill work. A lot of pro and college athletes use treadmills for speed work in the offseason.

As others have said, set it at an incline and run.

running intervals on a treadmill is the key to losing weight. jog 2 minutes, sprint 1 minute and keep rotating... This will maximize the amount of calories you lose.

running intervals on a treadmill is the key to losing weight. jog 2 minutes, sprint 1 minute and keep rotating... This will maximize the amount of calories you lose.
Sure it will, I know this. As far as lowering a 2 mile run time? I doubt

bas rutten said in a thread somewhere that his treadmill workout goes like this: set the incline as high as it will go, 8mph 45 seconds and then step off for 30 seconds, repeat 9 times.

i tried it... it was hellish. i did 3 maybe and had to call it a day

Who the heck can find a treadmill you can sprint on? The highest speed any of the treadmills at my gym go is 12mph. That's 5:00 mile pace, not a sprint.

Who the heck can find a treadmill you can sprint on? The highest speed any of the treadmills at my gym go is 12mph. That's 5:00 mile pace, not a sprint.

Set the incline as high as it will go and it will be hard to go for a minute. I almost prefer doing sprints on the treadmill because of the weather and also because the treadmill forces you to keep the same sprinting pace even when I am tired and feel like quitting, I have to move my legs just as fast, forcing me to go on instead of slowing down during regular sprints.

I find the same thing when i run the track i'm more likly to want to quit if i'm on the treadmill i dont wanna be spit out the back

I know of at least one brand, Precor, that has a commercial grade treadmill that goes up to 16mph. Thats still not a sprint for a decent sprinter. I guess it depends on how you define sprint. To me its nothing over 200 meters.

my treadmill goes up to 10 mph. one day i watched the tuf marathon and ran on the treadmill at 10 mph during the commercials. its not really an intense workout, but it saves two birds with one bandage.

if the weather is bad, i would run on a treadmill. i always perfer the outdoors.

Just go find a snow covered hill to run.

Says who??. Maybe for you perhaps but there are some on here that are not up to your level of fitness. A person that is out of shape can run 2x slower the you and get the same benefit as you will running a super human speed

ALso Id like to see ya set it at max incline and run at 12 mph for any lenght of time!!!

When you have the incline set to max, 12mph is pretty brutal.

Back