Sport Jiu-Jitsu in a Street Fight! (Gracie Breakdown)

I agree with a lot of it including the creating/ removing space dependent on punching
That being said, training primarily "sport" and having common sense has gotten me through multiple fights with the other asleep on the ground. ( I work in bars/ clubs )

urgh! this is the best example they use???

that guy on the basketball court was a shitty purple belt at best

Normally I would translate the video for my dear friend Nnedd but even I can't sit through 56 minutes of Rener and Ryron.

Brother, I understand.

Just curious.. what was it about this video that you could not sit through?

I'm going to wager a guess.

hqdefault.jpg

What's wrong with that? If you need to 10 years and a black belt to beat some guy on the basketball court then I think it's safe to say whatever you're doing isn't very effective.

Even with the people interfering, the "shitty purple belt at best" attacked a rnc, armbar and leglock within the matter of like 15 secs, so I don't see the problem here

The guy won the fight within like 10 seconds and didn't take any damage at all. I don't see the issue.

He would have won it in like 3 seconds if the other guy's friends didn't intervene. But then he would have probably been claimed as a self defense guy lol.

running is not a successful defence for knife attacks.
Someone trained to disarm knives has a better chance of surviving than someone running away.

Anyone who tries to disarm a knive has a 100% chance of dying. It's not a gun we're talking about.

Gracies are butt hurt because the guy didn't train at a GJJ affiliate.

Guarantee R&R Gracie would be singing a different tune if it was one of their own students.

There are also an unusual number of Monday Morning Quarterbacks on this video.

Utter bullshit. Sport jiu jitsu >>> Gracie bullshitsu for self defence. You have to do something quick rather the be stuck in side control for ages at the mercy of anyone who decides to kick your head in.
Additionally most of their students would get murdered by any decent sport guys as they do very little sparring.

I'm only 6 minutes in, and they totally already have discussed the BIGGEST short fall of modern BJJ (and many other combat sports): There is absolutely nothing in many curriculum about how to AVOID and de-escalate a fight. That is self defense 101, day one lesson before any single technique is ever learned.

i don't think so. i think de-escalation is pussy ass bitch 101
a true SD is when the fight started without your go ahead. everything else is mutual combat

So we see a purple belt in bjj, who may or may not be a

i don't think so. i think de-escalation is pussy ass bitch 101
a true SD is when the fight started without your go ahead. everything else is mutual combat
Watch out!
We have an Internet tough guy here.

I'm only 6 minutes in, and they totally already have discussed the BIGGEST short fall of modern BJJ (and many other combat sports): There is absolutely nothing in many curriculum about how to AVOID and de-escalate a fight. That is self defense 101, day one lesson before any single technique is ever learned.

I agree,Check out the bullyproof material, even the free stuff online talks about it.

If you have to learn that in a jiu jitsu class, you've fucked up a long time ago.

Everyone knows how to throw a punch, everyone knows how to trip someone up.

The whole point of training is to be able to do it properly in stressful situations. Lookup the fence or similar systems.

Please tell me your a blackbelt? (but I suspect not)

The fight would have ended much earlier via triangle but one of the guys was holding his leg so he couldn't lock it up.

Please tell me your a blackbelt? (but I suspect not)

The fight would have ended much earlier via triangle but one of the guys was holding his leg so he couldn't lock it up.

5 seconds into the fight and he was already setting up a RNC but the guy's friends didn't want to see the fight end like that.

Back