*SPOILER* Eddie Cummings vs. Samir F2W 31

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by fittycentguard, Apr 14, 2017.

1. fittycentguard Orange Belt

fittycentguard
    I suspect they will add a "running away" penalty rule. The end result is the same (judges will give the fight to the aggressor), but they need to do something about someone who just disengages and runs away all fight long from an attack to try to make the fight more interesting. It is a legit strategy, but they shouldn't be allowed to do that the whole fight. I know alot of folks hate on DDS, but Samir is a world-class fighter and he bought into the hype and just ran the whole round. Eddie even stood at the end of the fight and was still the aggressor.

In a more humorous moment, Eddie had to remove his cup after Samir complained about it. Guess its against the rules to wear a cup. Eddie should have just looked at Samir and winked, "what are you talking about? I'm not wearing a cup!"

2. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    another draw?

3. Fencer White Belt

Fencer
    It was a terrible match. Eddie played his same game, over and over, refuses to do anything different. Samir wouldn't let him play his same game, over and over (yank his leg out, back up, walk around, eventually re-engage), and did nothing besides nullify Eddie's game. Unwatchable, and both guys are equally responsible for a terrible match.

Se4n and kenetics like this.
  4. fittycentguard Orange Belt

fittycentguard
    I disagree. Cummings played his game which is a modified broken butterfly and Samir just kept running. Dis-engaging a couple times is cool, but then he should have launched his own attack; pass that guard. how does running away from a seated opponent mean you are fighting.

Eddie even stood up and Samir just ran.

Frustrating fight to watch, but I don't blame Cummings.

dmwalking and kenetics like this.
  5. Fencer White Belt

Fencer
    The way I saw it, Samir was afraid to risk engaging Eddie's butterfly guard. Eddie was afraid to risk doing anything but play butterfly guard.

At least we can agree it was boring.

kenetics and HunterAcosta like this.
  6. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    Running away penalties Are probably going to be seen in next coming events...to be honest, why on earth would someone engage in Cummings butterfly guard?

7. kenetics Black Belt

kenetics
    Because you fight to win the match..

8. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    Well if he keeps trying to pull you into butterfly, and you conceded, then you are hardly going to win the match... Im not saying you should run away but if Eddie keeps trying to so the same thing and the opponent isn't getting any of it, may be he should try something else...

Coconutwater likes this.
  9. dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

dmwalking
    A better question would be "why would anyone accept a match with Cummings unless they had an answer for his butterfly guard?"

I mean, that's what Tanquinho did. MF'ers act like DDS invented butterfly and leg locks. If a man is predictable, it's not hard to game plan for it.

10. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    tanquinho actually pass eddies guard, I believe... it goes both ways, if eddie sees the other one is not having none of that particular aspect of his game, Its my opinion he could look for something else, after all, your putting all the responsability of the match on the other dudes shoulder, thats not fair...running away the whole match is one thing, but constantly getting out of someones buttefly becasue you are 10 secs away from being heel hooked is not wrong

Coconutwater likes this.
  11. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    Trying to stand and work for takedowns doesn't count as something else?

12. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    I was merely talking about why people keep running from his butterfly guard, didn't see the match, didn't know that happened...

13. rmongler Brown Belt

rmongler
    Pena went strait into the bear trap and came out on top.

A level athlete 5 months training next 185/205 UFC champione.

dmwalking and ijustwannasurf like this.
  14. ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

ijustwannasurf
    Exactly. Getting subbed by Eddie isn't a smear on anyone's rep. Is it better to die trying or just 'not lose'? With your shield or on it and what not.

Absolutely. It's not as if Eddie has only one facet to his game, but you can be very sure you know where he'll start.

kenetics likes this.
  15. NSchoke Blue Belt

NSchoke
    I didn't see the match either but from what I've read/heard Cummings was moving forward, looking to engage and Samir was moving backward, looking to dis-engage. I think both guys should be required to engage in offense the majority of the time. I've heard in wrestling they're not allowed to take more than 2 or 3 steps back or they're called, this seems reasonable.

I don't think blaming the offensive guy is a good move, if you're defending or fleeing you're losing. It's on you to make adjustments. This "what was he supposed to do" to justify stalling is bs.

ijustwannasurf likes this.
  16. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    was the match on points? if the match want to a ref decision he is probably going to lose, if it was sub only, well you cant lose unless your subed.

17. dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

dmwalking
    This is like saying that a striker should try takedowns if his opponent keeps running and blocking. Why should you abandon your A game while the opponent refuses to engage?

And constantly getting out of someone's butterfly as your ONLY plan IS wrong.

Sorry. I don't buy what you're selling. Running is lame.

18. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    No, you cant do takedowns in striking alone. Let me get this straight, if my a game is lockdown and every time i get you in half you clear you leg so I don't lockdown you, that means you are running?

19. Fencer White Belt

Fencer
    Because his A game was not working. It's better for his grappling career to not have these stubborn stalemates.

20. dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

dmwalking
    If your A game is lockdown and you keep putting in the work to keep getting to your lockdown and you're whipping and underhooking.....and the other guy just keeps pulling out and forcing a restart? Yes, that's running. Not even a pass attempt?

It's not up to you to abandon your A game. It's up to others to beat it.