Splatoon 2 official thread: Inkcoming!

Total Immortal

Blackhawk Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seeing as they game comes out this Friday, I think it's time to give Splatoon 2 its own thread.

For those who might not be aware of the series, the original Splatoon was Nintendo's first real attempt at a multiplayer based shooter, and it gained critical acclaim. It won Shooter of the Year in 2015, and was a huge success in terms of sales for the Wii U. It's currently INCREDIBLY popular in Japan and rapidly getting the same hype here in the States and around the world.

Your new squid waifus

Gameplay demo

demo of a ranked mode

Salmon Run gameplay (co op mode)

Singleplayer preview

Splatoon 2 is out this Friday, July 21st. I highly encourage every Switch owner to give the game a shot. It's a hell of a lot of fun, I put in hundreds of hours into the first game and this is an upgrade in just about every way!

I'm guessing ice cream ran away with the Splatfest, never saw one cake team player.

I'm guessing ice cream ran away with the Splatfest, never saw one cake team player.

It was like 74-26 Ice Cream in terms of popularity. I only played one match against team Cake out of the ~12ish matches I played.

If you want to play online with your friends, you have to download an app on your phone. Then you make a lounge on your phone, and invite them on your phone. You can voice chat through the app, but there's no way to do it on the console.
laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif

If you want to play online with your friends, you have to download an app on your phone. Then you make a lounge on your phone, and invite them on your phone. You can voice chat through the app, but there's no way to do it on the console.
laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif

While I agree that voice chat should just be included through the game, the way it works through the app isn't as bad as it sounds. I played a bunch of rounds of Salmon Run with @doomrider7 over the weekend and it worked great for me. The audio came in clear and I had no disconnects or anything. IMO the app works fine for playing docked. Haven't tried handheld, although I don't see myself ever really playing multiplayer in handheld mode. The game looks way too good on my 65" TV :D

If you want to play online with your friends, you have to download an app on your phone.

Only to voice chat. You don't need it to play with friends.

It was like 74-26 Ice Cream in terms of popularity. I only played one match against team Cake out of the ~12ish matches I played.

In terms of popularity yes, but I believe it was a lot closer with regards to solo/team matches won.

Game's awesome. Played a few Salmon Run rounds, finished the campaign and hit level 6 online. So many people run everywhere all willy nilly - I like to tag up my spot and hide for a bit here and there only to pop out and cap unsuspecting players.

Going on another run through the campaign to get my Hero Splattershot.

Only to voice chat. You don't need it to play with friends.

In terms of popularity yes, but I believe it was a lot closer with regards to solo/team matches won.

Game's awesome. Played a few Salmon Run rounds, finished the campaign and hit level 6 online. So many people run everywhere all willy nilly - I like to tag up my spot and hide for a bit here and there only to pop out and cap unsuspecting players.

Going on another run through the campaign to get my Hero Splattershot.

I'm doing campaign mode now just so I can use my Hero Slosher in multiplayer. I've been a bucket main since they came out as a DLC weapon in the first game. So much fun flinging ink everywhere. Amazing for splatting people above you or over cover.

I'm doing campaign mode now just so I can use my Hero Slosher in multiplayer. I've been a bucket main since they came out as a DLC weapon in the first game. So much fun flinging ink everywhere. Amazing for splatting people above you or over cover.

Damn...Good luck beating the third (fourth? The flying one) boss with that!

Got my Hero Splattershot. Wondering if getting all collectibles nets any special gear.

I didn't realize you can get special gear using the Switch app, or that you can buy items other players are wearing.

Are there server issues? I can't seem to connect tonight.

EDIT: nvm, got in on the 4th try

Damn, didn't realize Horde mode was only available 7am to 7pm

Last edited:
Are there server issues? I can't seem to connect tonight.

EDIT: nvm, got in on the 4th try

Damn, didn't realize Horde mode was only available 7am to 7pm

There seem to be some server issues, @doomrider7 keeps mentioning people disconnecting during his matches. I haven't had many problems personally.

As for Salmon Run, a good way to check and be prepared is to hit X from the plaza and check the stage info. On the bottom it'll show you the current and upcoming Salmon Run schedule.

There seem to be some server issues, @doomrider7 keeps mentioning people disconnecting during his matches. I haven't had many problems personally.

As for Salmon Run, a good way to check and be prepared is to hit X from the plaza and check the stage info. On the bottom it'll show you the current and upcoming Salmon Run schedule.

Noice. I gotta get me some funds yo

Noice. I gotta get me some funds yo

I made over 60k in Salmon Run in one sitting once. Great way to make money. Are we friends on Switch? If not you should add @doomrider7 and myself. We can team up for SR sometimes. Much more effective when you can talk to your teammates.

I made over 60k in Salmon Run in one sitting once. Great way to make money. Are we friends on Switch? If not you should add @doomrider7 and myself. We can team up for SR sometimes. Much more effective when you can talk to your teammates.

I gotta figure out how the voice chat thing works (I rarely use voice chat, although I've made it through salmon run three times just fine without) but I'll add you guys anyway. What's your codes?

Last edited:
I gotta figure out how the voice chat thing works (I rarely use voice chat, although I've made it through salmon run three times just fine without) but I'll add you guys anyway. What's your codes?

My friend code is SW-1028-5738-7792. Going to have to message doom for his.

Splatoon 2 has already outsold Breath of the Wild in Japan. Not too shocking since Zelda games aren't nearly as popular there as they are over here.

With the amount of connection problems I'm having and reading about, I see this game dying off REALLY fast after September or there abouts. Basically whenever Nintendo starts to charge for online unless they MASSIVELY revamp things.

With the amount of connection problems I'm having and reading about, I see this game dying off REALLY fast after September or there abouts. Basically whenever Nintendo starts to charge for online unless they MASSIVELY revamp things.

Nah. Splatoon 1 lasted long enough. With the effort they put into 2 on improving upon 1, I'm sure they'll fix things.

Back