Spinning Heel Kicks to the legs - Why don't we see it?

CoffeeAndBeer

OG from 1993
@Silver
Reaction score
It's been a question I've asked for years, but the Cormier vs Jones brings it back to the forefront.

I saw Jones switch to Southpaw, and thought "Throw it now!" And shortly there after, Jones landed the Left Leg High Kick on DC's head... and it was all but over.

So anyway, why don't we see it? Does it not work? Is it too risky, leaving you open for a counter? What?

(someone said Adlan Amegov uses it, fwiw)

Lorenz Larkin threw it in the Tumerov fight I believe

I remember watching someone else throw it too but I can't remember what fight.

As to why it's not thrown more often, I believe Spinning Attacks are High Risk High Reward type of attacks, throwing it to the legs takes away the High reward aspect and just leaves you susceptible to takedowns and counters.

6ia1s0.jpg

Andy Hug did it in a kickboxing match. I haven't seen the fight in awhile, but I believe it was after first, nearly TKO'ing the guy with conventional leg kicks.

6ia1s0.jpg

Andy Hug did it in a kickboxing match. I haven't seen the fight in awhile, but I believe it was after first, nearly TKO'ing the guy with conventional leg kicks.
Andy was amazing... really creative use of various kicks.

Too risky.

If you look at the Hug gif - you'll see he's pretty much within clinching range (throwing it at the rear leg) and with his back almost to his opponent.

It might work if the guy opposite is completely out of stamina but it's not something you will see often.

With Bernardo it worked because his legs were nearly completely shot after taking multiple low kicks from Hug.

I am kinda amazed though that you don't really see much of it kickboxing though.

Lorenz Larkin threw it in the Tumerov fight I believe

As to why it's not thrown more often, I believe Spinning Attacks are High Risk High Reward type of attacks, throwing it to the legs takes away the High reward aspect and just leaves you susceptible to takedowns and counters.

Bullshtt on the "takes away the high reward aspect" if you target the legs...
It's that much more powerful than a 'normal' leg kick.

Bullshtt on the "takes away the high reward aspect" if you target the legs...
It's that much more powerful than a 'normal' leg kick.

Spinning around and potentially giving up your back to be choked out or mauled to give someone a slightly harder leg kick is not worth it. Let's face it, if your good enough to throw a spinning heel kick to the leg with timing, power and accuracy, I'm gonna say wrestling or jui jitsu isn't your main fighting style.

Even if your in a kickboxing match I should imagine the people your fighting are going to know how to defend regular spinning hook kicks and counter you. I'm not saying it will not work at all and it could well end the fight if you have already softened the legs but you are basically screwed if you are read.

So you are welcome to your opinion but in my opinion giving someone a hard leg kick at the risk of being KOd or Taken down isn't really worth it. Nor is spending valuable time training this technique rather than...... Practically anything else.

Spinning around and potentially giving up your back to be choked out or mauled to give someone a slightly harder leg kick is not worth it...
That speaks to risk, not reward.

... Let's face it, if your good enough to throw a spinning heel kick to the leg with timing, power and accuracy, I'm gonna say wrestling or jui jitsu isn't your main fighting style...

If you have a Reach disadvantage that inhibits your ability to land strikes AND you dont' have a grappling advantage... you have to go to Kicks. And a spinning heel kick is less likely to be caught than a straight forward roundhouse.

That speaks to risk, not reward.

The reward Is giving someone a leg kick. After risking everything I mentioned, all you get in return is a leg kick. Again doesn't seem worth it. You aren't going to end the fight with a spinning leg kick unless you're very lucky. The only reason Andy Hugg finished Bernando with it, in the GIF above, is because he had already battered that leg and sent him to the mat with leg kicks already.

If you have a Reach disadvantage that inhibits your ability to land strikes AND you dont' have a grappling advantage... you have to go to Kicks. And a spinning heel kick is less likely to be caught than a straight forward roundhouse.

I do not believe you have to kick if you have a reach and grappling disadvantage. In fact you have to be extra careful when kicking against a stronger grappler. Look at
Weidman VS Rockhold, sure he went for a regular spinning heel kick, but he got taken down and ultimately lost because of it.

Again if you feel like it is worth training and executing it in a fight, then go ahead. All I have said is just my opinion and you are welcome to have yours.

I agree with those who say it's a high risk/low reward type of strike, and i want to add, that spinning kicks drain your stamina... So I'm not sure that doing spinning heel kicks to the legs is really worth it.

It may be unpredictable, and more powerful, but it's a lot harder to land, may put you in a bad position, and tire you...All that for a leg kick...

I agree with those who say it's a high risk/low reward type of strike, and i want to add, that spinning kicks drain your stamina... So I'm not sure that doing spinning heel kicks to the legs is really worth it.

It may be unpredictable, and more powerful, but it's a lot harder to land, may put you in a bad position, and tire you...All that for a leg kick...

Yeah exactly.

People probably forget that Andy Hug used all of this weird shit to make his conventional attacks easier to land. He never actually knocked anyone out with the axe kick. He just did weird stuff to put people off. They knew that the 'hug tornado' to the leg hurt like a mother fucker. So he used to feint it by turning his back slightly to them, to bring the reaction for him to land something normal.

If you actually watch the guy fight, he wasn't doing stuff like this and getting stoppages. He'd do it on occasion to throw you off and land his actual money shots which where body kicks.

Yeah exactly.

People probably forget that Andy Hug used all of this weird shit to make his conventional attacks easier to land. He never actually knocked anyone out with the axe kick. He just did weird stuff to put people off. They knew that the 'hug tornado' to the leg hurt like a mother fucker. So he used to feint it by turning his back slightly to them, to bring the reaction for him to land something normal.

If you actually watch the guy fight, he wasn't doing stuff like this and getting stoppages. He'd do it on occasion to throw you off and land his actual money shots which where body kicks.

He would also use it to counter high kicks when he really had someone's timing down. It's a hell of a way to sweep someone as they kick if you can get the timing, but it has to be perfect. Which is why I think he only did it a few times in actual fights.

Cyborg Santos tried it in his fight with Nick Diaz, IIRC.

Not sure if spinning leg kicks are more powerful? why/ how are they? Also think about the fact that hitting the target with your heel is a lot harder than hitting it with your shin.

Lorenz Larkin threw it in the Tumerov fight I beli
Cyborg Santos tried it in his fight with Nick Diaz, IIRC.
And what happened as a result of the kick?
eve

Back