SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING v.2 ($823 Million Worldwide; Dragonlord's Review) | Page 16

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Jul 6, 2017.

?

If you have seen SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING, how would you rate it?

1. 10 - Excellent

3.1%
  2. 9 - Great

28.1%
  3. 8 - Good

34.4%
  4. 7 - Pretty Good

16.4%
  5. 6 - Decent

10.9%
  6. 5 - Average

3.1%
  7. 4 - Poor

0.8%
  8. 3 - Bad

1.6%
  9. 2 - Terribad

0.8%
  10. 1 - Abysmal (Explain)

0.8%
  1. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

ufcfan4
    I guess but Sandman was a dull dud while Keats the legend made Tooms a charismatic, entertaining villain.

chickenluver and KnightTemplar like this.
  2. SammyPops Team Stannis

SammyPops
    Good laughs. Lacking super epic action. +1 for Aunt May.

3. Clear Winner Big Poppa Pars

Clear Winner
    Strange King likes this.
  4. CoolB Brown Belt

CoolB
    It could be comic fatigue, could just be the fact that this is yet another spiderman movie. Looks really good but some people just might have seen enough spiderman movies

chickenluver and Clear Winner like this.
  5. KnightTemplar Sith Belt

KnightTemplar
    The fact Homecoming was going head to head with Planet of the Apes should probably be taken into consideration.

Clear Winner and theskza like this.
  6. Clear Winner Big Poppa Pars

Clear Winner
    Yeah, I know a few people like that. People who felt like that with the Garfield Spidey and even moreso now.

Completely forgot about that. While that is true, we are definitely nearing the point of saturation.

Around 2009 - 2015 we used to have about 3 or 4 big hero movies a year. LAst year we had 6 and there are another 6 scheduled for this year.

2018, however, has 9 scheduled... NINE. While a couple might not happen, you can see that it's going to happen.

7. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    Saw it, really enjoyed it, thought the DL review was on the money.

Tom Holland is the real deal.

8. taurus Tiger knee belt

taurus
    Solid 9 for a comic book movie, solid 8 for a standalone movie. So 8,5 i guess.

Unlike my usual ramble about minor plot holes, i'm going to go a clear, strategic route this time:
    1. Story, script and dialogue

I really like the story. It's seemed (i can't think of a term other than the one @Dragonlordxxxxx used) fresh. Not once did i think to myself: "wow, i was right in thinking this is pretty fast for a reboot". It's innocence, yet dealing with coming of age theme hits the right spot. I was extremely engaged in the movie, and without that annoying "this can't be real" moments that take you out of the viewing experience. The dialogue was neither here nor there, there were not as many cringey moments as i expected, but let's face it, superhero movies are not known to be directed by Tarantino or Zemeckis type of directors. I felt the movie solidly portrayed the internal battle Peter carries (as basically his main theme as one of the most tragic characters in Marvel universe) but i would've liked to see the sacrifice he's made in order to basically be the superhero equivalent of a bootycall for Tony and Happy (such as giving up on on those things that are stated in the movie - robotics, job etc. Show, don't tell principle). I do hope they make a Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head type of scene from Spiderman 2 in the upcoming sequels.

2. Character (development) and acting

It was good. I felt connected to and understood the actions by all the main characters (Peter, Ned, Happy, Tony) while the supporting cast fell a bit behind. I was not extremely emotionally involved in the critical moments for certain characters so i guess that's why i said it was only "good". I did feel that for some characters, character development seemed a bit rushed (Vulture e.g.). Casting was good, thought i just didn't get the love connection being there at all. That said, i did kind of got the feeling that RDJ was not into it. I can't place my finger on why exactly.
    Gwyneth Paltrow shines in her 10 sec scene. So much i think people will forget the crap they pulled with her character in IM 3

3. Pacing and tone

Extremely well done. Pretty long movie, without being overbearing, solid combination between actions scenes, everyday life of Peter and his personal struggles, funny yet not trying too hard. The opening scene immediately going for Vulture as well as action cam footage of Spidey in Civil War (all the while avoiding traditional exposition pitfalls) IMO speaks volumes on what the director tried to achieve. Pleasantly surprised.

4. Cinematography, including sound and visuals.

The visuals were very good. Some very memorable scenes in the movie, but with Spidey and his abilities, it's almost cheating. CGI and action scenes were great, apart from the standard fast cut several angles scenes (though not as many as i expected). I like the clumsy, getting to know his powers, Spidey. And not like in the origin stories shown so far, where he figures it all out in a 2-3 min montage. Like the movie said, it seemed more grounded in reality (for a movie about a teenager who gets bitten by a radioactive spider and then receives multiple spider like powers). I don't think i've noticed a one true CGI rubbery figure scene which Spiderman is the most likely superhero to have. Apart from the modernized opening theme, i was not impressed with the score at all.

Couple of thoughts and pointless rant (i know, i lied. Shoot me):

Again we are treated to scenes depicted in the trailers not actually happening in the movie. Or maybe i just missed them.

Too many people hit on aunt May. We get it, she is good looking.

At times, i thought "Iron Man Jr." would be the appropriate title. The AI and the ultra advanced suit were maybe going a bit too much. I can't blame them, Iron Man is a sure sell, but still, people tend to like Spidey because he has his thing going for him. So right on the money on that one, Dragon

For a guy featured so much in the trailers, Tony is not actually in the movie. Basically there is 1-2 scenes not shown in the trailer where he shows up. Tony is kind of a dick. Happy too. They lead Peter on, then shut him out. Not even a "thanks for the heads up, Petey" after he tells them about Vulture. How is he supposed to know they got the call and are working on it?

How did Iron man manage all the spider web combinations? He built the suit without even talking to Spiderman let alone working with him on that. No spider sense was weird. I didn't miss the sounds effects, but just acknowledging it would fit me. The look of the suit was great. I like the combination that suit shrinks after putting it on, so no actual spandex or similar.

Spiderman having fear of heights was also weird, especially since he's supposed to be web slinging in the air, sometimes at heights.

Love story was meh. Michelle being the MJ was kind of awkward but it makes perfect sense in the end.

Happy got fat. Like uncomfortably fat. Maybe it's all the "Chef" food. Not a spoiler moment or anything, but i just wanted to say that.

Extremely good villain for a Marvel movie, him being the father was really a shocker (pun intended). Thought i did find sometimes he was not as consistent. Is he a killer or not? Is he a man of his word or not?

At some points, i thought „this would not happen if not for Spiderman“. I didn't understand why Tony asked him to come to Avengers. He does the exact same thing Tony told him not to, but because it was a success the final time, Tony invites him. Tony specifically told him to fight crime in the neighborhood. Get some practice. Takes away the suit bcs he's out of his league. What does Peter do - he goes saving a plane and Avengers cargo, causing possibly many casualties and property damage. "Welcome to the Avengers". Makes no sense IMO.

Agreed that it’s stupid for Spidey to lose to Vulture after winning or standing his ground against Cap, Falcon and Bucky. I know, MMAth and all, but still, seemed weird.

@Anung Un Rama also has a point about Toomes realizing Spidey identity in 15 seconds of his daughter talking about Peter disappearing on this and that occasion.

Captain America post credit scene: Well played, Marvel. Well played.

9. Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator

Dragonlordxxxxx
    Update: July 19, 2017

Jon Watts to Return as Director for SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Sequel

[​IMG]

After successfully relaunching the Spider-Man franchise with Spider-Man: Homecoming, Sony and Marvel are staying in business with director Jon Watts.

Watts is in talks to return for the sequel to the hit Spidey film, starring Tom Holland. The sequel, currently untitled, is already slated for release on July 5, 2019.

Watts was best known for directing the $5 million indie Cop Car starring Kevin Bacon, but he successfully made the leap to big-budget tenpoles with Homecoming, getting the gig to co-write and direct the project after pitching a coming-of-age teen story focused on the high school life of Peter Parker. The film was deemed a box office hit after it open to $117 million domestically. It has earned $468.3 million worldwide over two weeks.

Holland will reprise his role as Peter Parker in the sequel. In the first film, Parker was a junior in high school who was trying to adjust to regular Brooklyn life after his adventures with the Avengers. The next film's story will pick up after the events of Avengers: Infinity War, which will hit theaters on May 4, 2018, and will also feature Holland as Peter Parker.

'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Director Jon Watts in Talks to Return for Sequel (Exclusive)

10. SSgt Dickweed Purple Belt

SSgt Dickweed
    I'll be in the minority here. I didn't like this movie.

Right from the found footage intro they used. Those scenes sucked.

Peter's best friend was annoying as hell.

I didn't like the action scenes. The plane scenes to me were WTF?

The big reveal was really bad. The bad guy is the _____ of the love interest. The previous installments of Spiderman did this to full retardness and the new one did the same? What?!?

I get that Peter Parker is a high school brain struggling with regular life as well as being a superhero but every high school scene was cringy to me. Out-of-state decathlon? Really?

I wanted to walk out at times during watching. This is the worst time I had watching a Marvel movie since Iron Man 3.

3 out of 10.

11. Agent Mulder's Hair Black Belt

Agent Mulder's Hair
    I liked the "wtf!" moment at the end

and the post credit scene with Cap. I like meta, self aware humor.

Both scenes made me lol and it's smart to end something like Homecoming on a laughing note. It puts the audience in a good mood as their getting up from their seats. So the audience unconsciously ends up with a warm fuzzy feeling about ole Spiderman. Pretty slick, Marvel.

12. Agent Mulder's Hair Black Belt

Agent Mulder's Hair
    lol you're a credit to your name, sarge :D

13. Secret Agent TONY CRACKULA

Secret Agent
    He'll make Major in no time.

14. Agent Mulder's Hair Black Belt

Agent Mulder's Hair

<[analyzed}><[analyzed}>

15. LC Shepard Purple Belt

LC Shepard
    Finally watched it. Good but a lot of missed opportunities.

I really don't like the tech in his suit. I really hope the.new suit he got is without Karen.

Dragonlordxxxxx likes this.
  16. prod2821 Gold Belt

prod2821
    this movie was only okay, I think it was no better than TASM movies to be honest

Anung Un Rama likes this.
  17. Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator

Dragonlordxxxxx
    Did you wear your special Doc Connor/Lizard shoes when you watched it?

[​IMG]

18. Strange King Strange Music

Strange King
    I dont know if its comic fatigue but nothing really new about spider man that i care about. I didnt like the changes they made to spider man so i skipped it.

Thor is going to be made a comedy. this was made clear by the director so i will skip that movie.

But bru that avengers done by those russo bros is going to be dope

19. Strange King Strange Music

Strange King
    cant wait to skip that movie

20. prod2821 Gold Belt

prod2821
    no i should have tho

Dragonlordxxxxx likes this.