1. New Sherdog Meme Generator! Check is out Here Use it to win a free platinum accountHere
    Dismiss Notice

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING v.2 ($117 Million Opening Weekend; Dragonlord's Review) | Page 15

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Jul 6, 2017.

?

If you have seen SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING, how would you rate it?

1. 10 - Excellent

3.5%
  2. 9 - Great

30.1%
  3. 8 - Good

32.7%
  4. 7 - Pretty Good

14.2%
  5. 6 - Decent

11.5%
  6. 5 - Average

3.5%
  7. 4 - Poor

0.9%
  8. 3 - Bad

1.8%
  9. 2 - Terribad

0.9%
  10. 1 - Abysmal (Explain)

0.9%
  1. KnightTemplar Sith Belt

KnightTemplar
    Providing for his family. He actually says this more than once in the film.

That's why I liked him. He wasn't out to destroy or take over the world. He didn't want God-like power. For Toomes, being a Super Villain was a 9 - 5 job. A way to provide for his wife and daughter. If Damage Control hadn't screwed him over, he probably wouldn't have become the Vulture.

HunterAcosta, Loiosh, ufcfan4 and 3 others like this.
  2. Amerikuracana Steel Belt

Amerikuracana
    So, the sandman again?

STEVEN SEAGOLD likes this.
  3. KnightTemplar Sith Belt

KnightTemplar
    I'll have to take your word for it. I've managed to supress my memories of Spiderman 3:(

SomebodyElse likes this.
  4. heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

heavyarms21
    Yeah not only that bit calling the Indian Dude Flash , come the fuck on.

5. STEVEN SEAGOLD Brown Belt

STEVEN SEAGOLD
    Lol'd.

heavyarms21 likes this.
  6. heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

heavyarms21
    I like that he tried to keep it at "street level" , seeing the damage caused during the incident and what it took to stop it , he probably had the good sense to not get too big for his own head so that we wouldn't draw major attention from say SHIELD or the Avengers , which is why we was very reluctant to do the last Job until he kinda had no choice.

7. STEVEN SEAGOLD Brown Belt

STEVEN SEAGOLD
    Toombs was solid, but let's not pretend like he was anything more than that. He got major points from me for catching me off guard by being Liz's dad. And very well acted.

He was an extremely safe, conservative choice as a villain. Solid, but not spectacular. And that's the problem about film villains a lot of the time... They always go for a home-run.

If there's something that Marvel has mastered is the art of playing it safe. This has both good and bad aspects.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  8. bosox32 Brown Belt

bosox32
    If you're using a baseball analogy I'd say that most of the villains were easily strikeouts. Some of them (Killian, Malekith, Madarin) were flailing ugly strikeouts.

Toombs was a solid standing double.

9. KnightTemplar Sith Belt

KnightTemplar
    Red Skull was a home run. When it comes to Big Bads, Nazis are still the gold standard.

10. raty tat tat Purple Belt

raty tat tat
    Just saw it not too bad I still think Spider-man 2 was the best . Keaton's Vulture was the one best the
    Marvel villains. Never anytime in the movie did I think Flash was any kind threat to Parker poor
    casting choice Marvel part. 7.5/10

SomebodyElse and Dragonlordxxxxx like this.
  11. Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator

Dragonlordxxxxx
    Update: July 15, 2017

Spider-Man's Spider-Sense Shows Up in AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

The first-ever footage from Avengers: Infinity War was shown earlier at D23 [read footage description here]. Peter is seen riding a school bus. When Thanos' ship lands on Earth, Peter's arm hairs stand up. They also show Spidey in his new armored-type suit (the one he rejected at the end of Homecoming).

raty tat tat and KnightTemplar like this.
  12. MicroBrew Gold Belt

MicroBrew
    Why would they bother with scraps and risk exposure by dealing with street thugs. Street thugs are not exactly discreet or smart about avoiding police attention. If that street thug had bought the high tech weapons he was offered for sale, he would have immediately been noticed by law enforcement.

VanteMMA likes this.
  13. MicroBrew Gold Belt

MicroBrew
    Yeah but they made Spiderman's sidekick an obese unattractive Asian dude, more or less pushing the stereotype that Asian men are dorks who are not attractive.

14. Secret Agent TONY CRACKULA

Secret Agent
    [​IMG]

*Japanese percussion*

Maybe I don't want KID IRON MAN. Maybe I want SPIDERMAN. And Spiderman has... Spider. Sense.

15. MaveDeltzer Brown Belt

MaveDeltzer
    Did chuckle that Wonder Woman and Spider-Man got put into bigger movie universes for the first time within a month of each other. Almost like MTV knew.

Also Star Wars still popping up everywhere.

16. SomebodyElse Yellow Belt

SomebodyElse
    I was severely disappointed.

Spider-Man talking to an AI in his suit? "Electrified" web shooters. WTF? The constant RDJ appearances and the whole Iron Spider-take on the character really wasn't what I was hoping for. In fact, it was pretty borderline to call him "Spider-Man". The whole film I kept thinking Sony really wanted to make "Iron Man Jr.", and this was as close as they could legally get. The worst part was how accurate the character looked to be portrayed in Civil War ... it got my hopes up. With the suit, what is the point of Parker's powers at all? We already saw the stuff Stark builds is supposed to be stronger anyway, and it can fly. The suits turn an ordinary guy into an Avenger, so what is the point of using the teenager in the first place?

Hated the Aunt May take, really hated the Punk Rock Mary Jane take, hated the "nerd" Flash.

Raimi is still the champ. If only he had given McGuire webshooters, it would be pretty close to a perfect representation of the character.

P.S. Going in, my biggest worry was about the Vulture portrayal, which ironically ended up being the strongest point of the film, IMO.

Dragonlordxxxxx likes this.
  17. SomebodyElse Yellow Belt

SomebodyElse

I rank them the exact same way.

18. Pem123 Red Belt

Pem123
  19. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt

Bob Gray
    Just saw it today. I thought it was fantastic. They absolutely nailed Spidermans character. My one big gripe was Vultures motivation was a bit contrived and meh, coupled with the fact that Stark would have totally just given him double what was supposed to earn.

SPOILERS

But everything spidey was perfect. I was also happy to see a climactic battle sequence that actually resonated. For me the last perfunctory action sequence sometimes feels like it's just going through the motions. I felt this one actually gave a better context on both it's hero and villain. The way Spiderman actually LOST the final battle, only to come back and save the person who just beat him, and having the scene end with a callback to Starks quip regarding the person "needing" the suit being nothing without it is perfectly encapsulated in Vulture's being wingless and immobile. That's perfect Spiderman. This is one of Marvels best, imo.

Also:

60 year old lady tapping her feet and hands to this during the credits. Fucking RIGHT.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    chickenluver and Dragonlordxxxxx like this.
  20. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt

Bob Gray
    I'm honestly pretty fine with changing things up a bit. Make Flash smart, etc. I mean, these stories are what? 60 years old now? I'm not in the camp of "Hey, this story thats been told dozens of times over the years? Tell it the same way again." Marvel has been doing a great job of showing you can make changes and still be true to the characters.