SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING (First Critics Reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: March 28, 2017

2nd SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Trailer Highlights Michael Keaton's Vulture

Update: December 8, 2016

First Official Trailers for SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Update: September 27, 2016

Tyron Woodley Reveals Why He Left SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Tyron-Woodley-Spider-Man-Homecoming-092716-Dragonlord.jpg

According to Tyron Woodley, the UFC fighter has said he’s no longer a part of Spider-Man: Homecoming. The athlete revealed the news during an interview with Jay & Dan for UFC on FOX. The three talked fighting before the topic of Spider-Man surfaced, and Tyron looked a bit hesitant to go in on the topic at first.

After all, fans learned that the UFC star was joining Homecoming after Tyron spilled the secret during an appearance on The MMA Hour. “I don’t know if I can even say this, but I’m working on a Marvel movie on Thursday in Atlanta,” he said.

And, apparently, he might have sold the secret too soon.

“This is what I said. I said that I could be working on a Marvel movie very soon, and I didn’t put two-and-two together,” Tyron explained. “I was in Atlanta, the only Marvel movie at that time was Spider-Man — I didn’t put those things together.”

The fighter then went on to reference Marvel Studios and their infamous legal team. Actors involved with the Marvel Cinematic Universe have gone so far as to describe the lawyers as a team of alert snipers - and that team was not happy to learn of Tyron’s tease.

“When you’re working on a Marvel movie, their legal department do not play. They got word of it, and their legal department started coming down on me,” he said.

However, Tyron said he ultimately backed out of the project to pursue other projects. “I did not do it because I had a previous obligation with Fox, and I thought that was a better play longterm. And I’m a man of my word.”

Tyron even went on to describe what his role was even though his details were vague. “I was going to play a villain in the movie,” he said, “and I think I was going to be fighting Spider-Man.”

UFC Welterweight Champion Tyron Woodley Reveals Why He Left 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'

Update: September 1, 2016

Jon Favreau to Reprise Happy Hogan Role for SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Jon-Favreau-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

With Robert Downey Jr. already set to reprise his role of Tony Stark, Sony and Marvel are looking to add a familiar face from his Iron Man universe into their new Spider-Man realm.

Jon Favreau will reprise his role of Happy, Stark’s personal driver in the Iron Man movies, in Spider-Man: Homecoming, sources tell Variety.

The pic is currently shooting in Atlanta with Tom Holland starring as Peter Parker and Jon Watts directing. Other actors who have joined the cast over the last several weeks include Logan Marshall-Green, Donald Glover, Zendaya and Tony Revolori.

Favreau played a large part in the Marvel cinematic universe, directing the first two Iron Man movies. He most recently helmed The Jungle Book live-action film for Disney, which has made more than $900 million worldwide and is currently developing a sequel. As an actor, he can be seen next opposite Vince Vaughn in Term Life.

Jon Favreau to Reprise ‘Iron Man’ Role in ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ (Exclusive)

Comments: Jon Favreau's lame, corny, unfunny scenes in Iron Man 3 were cringeworthy. Hope they give him some good material this time.

Update: August 22, 2016

Jona Xiao Joins the Cast of SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Jona-Xiao-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Jona Xiao has joined the cast of Sony-Marvel’s Spider-Man: Homecoming opposite Tom Holland, Marisa Tomei and Michael Keaton, Variety has learned exclusively. Plot details are still guarded as is Xiao’s character.

Jon Watts is directing from a script written by Vacation helmers John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein. Amy Pascal and Kevin Feige are producing. The film is hitting theaters on July 7, 2017.

Xiao can next be seen recurring on the third season of AMC’s Halt and Catch Fire, in Fox’s Keeping Up With the Joneses opposite Zach Galifianakis and Jon Hamm and in Fox Searchlight’s Gifted opposite Chris Evans, Jenny Slate and Octavia Spencer. Her credits include Rizzoli & Isles, Trophy Wife and Bones.

'Halt and Catch Fire' Actress Jona Xiao Joins the Cast of 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' (Exclusive)

Update: August 11, 2016

Rumor: New Details About The Tinkerer’s Role In SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Michael-Chernus-The-Tinkerer-Dragonlord.jpg

Just yesterday it was reported that Michael Chernus (Orange Is The New Black) had joined the cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming as the villain Phineas Mason a.k.a. The Tinkerer, who had been rumored for some time to appear in the film.

Following that bit of casting news, Heroic Hollywood now got some new details about the character’s role in the upcoming Jon Watts directed film.

Sources have revealed that in Homecoming, The Tinkerer will be an ex-Stark Industries employee who was personally fired by Tony Stark a few years back. Mason will be providing tech to both The Vulture (Michael Keaton) and The Shocker (Bokeem Woodbine) in an attempt to prove to Stark that it was a mistake firing him.

Previous rumors would point towards these items being built from repurposed Chitauri technology. It’s currently unclear if Logan Marshall-Green’s villainous character, who remains a mystery at this time, will have any connections to Mason as well.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is set to swing into theaters on July 7, 2017.

Rumor: New Details About The Tinkerer’s Role In ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’

Link to previous thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f48/spider-man-tom-holland-cast-new-spider-man-2935937/

Last edited:
Update: August 18, 2016

Zendaya Reportedly Playing Mary Jane Watson in SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Zendaya-Mary-Jane-Watson-Dragonlord.jpg

Zendaya will be playing long-time Spider-Man love interest Mary Jane Watson in next summer’s Spider-Man: Homecoming, two individuals with knowledge of the project told TheWrap.

Diehard Spidey fans have long speculated about whom the 19-year-old Disney Channel star would portray in Sony’s high-profile reboot of the superhero franchise, starring British actor Tom Holland as a teenage Peter Parker, a.k.a. Spider-Man.

At least one recent draft of the script has Zendaya’s character dropping several clues to her identity as Mary Jane, one of the most familiar love interests in the Marvel superhero’s universe — and played by Kirsten Dunst in Sam Raimi‘s 2002-07 movie trilogy starring Tobey Maguire as the webslinger.

Given how secretive superhero movie castings can sometimes be, pseudonyms are often used. Marion Cotillard‘s role in The Dark Knight Rises comes to mind.

Zendaya, the star of the Disney Channel series Shake It Up! and K.C. Undercover, was cast back in March to play a “key role” as a character named Michelle. At the time, no further details were provided about her character or whether it would the romantic lead opposite Holland.

The cast also includes Michael Keaton, Donald Glover, Jacob Batalon, Laura Harrier, Tony Revolori, Tyne Daly, Bokeem Woodbine, Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr. Spider-Man: Homecoming will be released on July 7, 2017.

Zendaya Playing Mary Jane Watson in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' (Exclusive)

Update: August 1, 2016

UFC Welterweight Champion Tyron Woodley to Appear in SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Tyron-Woodley-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

This past weekend, Spider-Man: Homecoming star Tom Holland was spotted at UFC 201, and now we know why.

Tyron Woodley won the welterweight championship at the event in Atlanta, Georgia, and he revealed on The MMA Hour (via Spider-Man News) today that he's landed a role in the reboot. Who he's playing remains a mystery of course, but he'll make for a tough foe for the wall-crawler.

"I don’t know if I can even say this," he teased, "but I’m working on a Marvel movie on Thursday in Atlanta."

Woodley has plenty of experience in the world of film as he's done stunts for Olympus Has Fallen and Straight Outta Compton and also has a role in the next Fast & Furious movie.

While it would be easy to assume that he's just playing Random Thug #3, bear in mind that the last UFC champion to show up in the MCU was Georges St-Pierre, and he made quite the impact in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Jon Watts is behind the camera for the movie that stars Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-Man in a story that takes the character back to his high school roots. Big names in the cast include Michael Keaton, Marisa Tomei, Zendaya, Robert Downey Jr. and Donald Glover. Spider-Man: Homecoming opens July 7, 2017.

'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Adds Another Surprising Cast Member In The Form Of A UFC Champion

Update: July 31, 2016

Martha Kelly Joins SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING; Black Widow Might Appear

Martha-Kelly-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Actress/stand-up comedian Martha Kelly has joined the cast of Marvel and Sony’s Spider-Man: Homecoming. Her role and the storyline are being kept under wraps. Kelly who currently appears alongside Zach Galifianakis on FX’s Baskets.

Last week, ComicBook.com was tipped off to Scarlett Johansson’s presence in the Atlanta area where Spider-Man: Homecoming is filming, but was unable to confirm the reports. Now the Atlanta Filming Twitter account, which keeps tabs on such things, has posted a somewhat vague message that seems to confirm Johansson is in the area. The tweet reads, “Well, well...hi Scarlett. What’cha doing here.”

The tweet does not offer any visual evidence that Johansson is in the area, but combined with what ComicBook.com was told previously, it certainly sounds like there’s another spider climbing into the Homecoming web.

Martha Kelly Joins Spider-Man: Homecoming; Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow Possibly to Appear

Update: July 24, 2016

Character Names Revealed in SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING; Why the Vulture is the Villain

Spider-Man-Homecoming-Cast-Comic-Con-072416-Dragonlord.jpg

Marvel Studios head honcho Kevin Feige introduced Spider-Man: Homecoming director Jon Watts and Co. to the Hall H stage at Comic-Con Saturday night, but kept the identities of Zendaya, Tony Revolori, Jacob Batalon, and Laura Harrier’s characters under waps. Later though, Watts put us on a first-name basis with them during an interview with EW.

According to the filmmaker, Zendaya plays Michelle, Revolori plays Flash, Harrier plays Liz, and Batalon plays Ned. “We constantly refer to ourselves as The Breakfast Club,” Harrier says of their relationship.

“I’m [Peter Parker’s] bully and I don’t know how cool he is, but when we call cut, I’m just like, ‘Ah! You’re so cool,’” Revolori recalls of working with Tom Holland, who plays the title character.

The film, described as John Hughes-esque, has already begun filming the story of Spider-Man navigating the waters of high school and the superhero world. And while high school alone is terrifying enough, Comic-Con attendees were treated to the first look at the real Homecoming villain: Vulture.

Watts and his cast wouldn’t confirm who’s playing the character, but reports point to Michael Keaton, who’s now officially a member of the cast.

“Vulture’s the first real villain in the Spider-Man comics,” Watts says, “He’s in the second issue. He’s one of the classics from the best rogues’ gallery out there, and we’ve never seen him, he’s never been brought to life.”

Spider-Man Director Confirms Zendaya Character Name Plus: Why Vulture is the Villain

Update: July 23, 2016

First Look at the Vulture from SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Concept Art; Comic-Con Footage Description

1469326227305442.jpg

During the Hall H panel at Comic-Con International: San Diego, Marvel Studios revealed the first official footage from Spider-Man: Homecoming. The new footage confirms the inclusions of classic Spidey villain The Vulture in the film.

Here's a description of the footage shown at Comic-Con:

Bad Reputation plays, and shots of high school. "Every Story" then shots of Tony, Rhodey, each character in high school. "Every journey. Has a beginning."

Peter is walking through school, and a homecoming banner goes up. 9:30am Science. Peter's looking at footage of himself taking Giant Man down. Flash Thompson is an indian character. The Disney channel star Zendaya may be playing Liz Allan! [Update: Zendaya is playing Michelle.]

In Chemistry, Parker works on his web fluid on the side. A girl is playing F, M, K with Avengers. Liz thinks Spidey is hot. One of his other friends is trying to figure out what he's hiding. Jump cuts of him running down a hallway zipping a hoodie over the costume, and climbing up a wall, and finally, he and the "Ganke type" doing a handshake. Then Vulture comes down a tube, with crazy armor.

Spider-Man: Homecoming Comic-Con Footage Confirms The Vulture

Update: July 6, 2016

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Adds THE NICE GUYS Breakout Star

Angourie-Rice-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Angourie Rice, who recently had a breakout performance in buddy cop movie The Nice Guys opposite Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe, has been cast in Marvel and Sony's Spider-Man: Homecoming.

The Australian actress joins Tom Holland, who is starring as Peter Parker/Spider-Man in a story that takes the character back to his high-school roots. Jon Watts is directing the film, which has put together a strong cast.

Character details for Rice are being kept under wraps, as has been the case with many of the roles in the film, which is currently shooting in Atlanta. The film is slated to hit theaters on July 7, 2017.

'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Adds 'The Nice Guys' Breakout Star Angourie Rice (Exclusive)

Comments: Maybe Gwen Stacy? Or they could dye her hair and make her into Mary Jane.

Update: June 30, 2016

Garcelle Beauvais and Tiffany Espensen Join SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Garcelle-Beauvais-Tiffany-Espensen-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

According to Deadline, Spider-Man: Homecoming has added Garcelle Beauvais and Tiffany Espensen to its cast, though no detail were provided on their roles.

Beauvais, 49, is best known for playing Francesca "Fancy" Monroe on The Jamie Foxx Show, A.D.A. Valerie Heywood on NYPD Blue, and Hanna Linden on Franklin & Bash. Currently, she is serving as a co-host on Hollywood Today Live.

Epensen, 17, is best known for playing Piper Peckinpaw on Nickelodeon's Bucket & Skinner's Epic Adventures, and currently stars as Belinda on Disney XD’s Kirby Buckets.

Beauvais has been spotted on set dressed as a teacher. As for Epensen, the safe bet is that she'll play one of Peter Parker's classmates.

Garcelle Beauvais and Tiffany Espensen Join the Cast of 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'

Update: June 29, 2016

Tyne Daly is the Latest to Join SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Cast

Tyne-Daly-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Tyne Daly has joined the cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming, the Jon Watts-directed pic for Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios.

The star of stage and Cagney & Lacey and Judging Amy (she won six Emmys between them) joins Tom Holland in his first solo pic as the webslinger, with Robert Downey Jr playing Iron Man and Michael Keaton playing The Vulture. They are keeping Daly’s role mum.

Daly most recently co-starred with Sally Field in the Michael Showalter-directed My Name Is Doris and she’s got the upcoming HBO pic Looking in July, and co-stars with Brie Larson and Donald Sutherland in Basmati Blues.

'Cagney & Lacey' Star Tyne Daly On The Case For ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’

Update: June 28, 2016

First Look at Spider-Man's New Suit from SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Set Photos

Looper has some exclusive photos of Tom Holland wearing the red and blue on the set of Spider-Man: Homecoming. According to sources, Holland arrived on the set in Atlanta, Georgia, at around 7 a.m. on June 27 to film two scenes, shooting for about 12 hours that day. The first was a bus scene, where the kids take a trip to Washington D.C.

These photos, however, come from the second scene, in which Spider-Man runs alongside a cement truck and jumps onto it. The running scenes reportedly will be completed using CGI, but the action scenes where Spider-Man jumps onto the truck were pure Holland, and not a stunt double. This is even more impressive considering that the temperatures in Atlanta hit 100 degrees Fahrenheit during filming.

To see more set photos of Spider-Man in action, click Here and Here.

0a2fba2acfd9e852593f379616c49694.jpg

448ffdcc1849c217b9c03e7bcc997968.jpg

Update: June 23, 2016

Sony Still Pushing for SPIDER-MAN Shared Universe, Confirms Marvel Has Creative Control

Tom-Rothman-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Spider-Man: Homecoming will be the first fruit of the vine of the partnership between Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures, but it won’t be the last according to Sony Pictures Entertainment chairman Tom Rothman.

THR asked Rothman about the possibility of building a Spider-Man movie universe out of the partnership and about the possibility of Sony working with Marvel on other projects. “Yes to both those questions,” Rothman answered. “It’s been fantastic, our relationship with Marvel.”

“Sony has the ultimate authority,” Rothman clarified concerning the working relationship between the two studios. “But we have deferred the creative lead to Marvel, because they know what they’re doing.”

Prior to that relationship, Sony had plans for a third Amazing Spider-Man movie and a villain-centric Sinister Six spinoff (with Marvel's Daredevil creator Drew Goddard attached to write and direct). There were also additional rumors of a Venom solo film and a team film featuring a group of female Spider-Man family characters. Those plans seemed to have been dropped after the deal with Marvel was struck, but who knows what ideas may come back around.

Sony Pictures Chief Still Pushing for 'Spider-Man' Shared Universe, Reiterates Marvel Studios Has Creative Control

Update: June 22, 2016

Bokeem Woodbine to Play a Villain in SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Bokeem-Woodbine-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

It looks like Bokeem Woodbine is the newest talent reportedly signed on to star in Spider-Man: Homecoming if this tweet has anything to say about it.

There is no official word yet from either Marvel or Sony confirming the actor's involvement with the project as of yet, but a local TV personality tweeted about her run-in with actor in Atlanta, GA not long ago.

The American actor, 43, is probably best known for his work on Riddick as Moss or in Fargo as Mike Milligan. Bokeem has starred in films such as Spike Lee's Crooklyn and Vondie Curtis-Hall's Gridlock'd. The actor has even been nominated for his work on Fargo by the Critic's Choice Awards and the Black Reel Awards.

[Update: The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that Bokeem Woodbine has joined the cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming. Character details are scarce, but sources say Woodbine joins Michael Keaton and Logan Marshall-Green as a villain.]

'Riddick' Actor Bokeem Woodbine Joins the Cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming

Michael Mando Joins SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING; Possibly Playing Carnage

Michael-Mando-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Better Call Saul actor Michael Mando has joined the cast ofSpider-Man: Homecoming, the Sony and Marvel Studio’s reboot of the movie franchise featuring the web-swinging superhero.

The feature began shooting this week in Atlanta. Jon Watts is behind the camera for the movie that stars Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-Man in a story that takes the character back to his high-school roots. As usual in the case of Spider-Man castings, character details are almost nonexistent.

Mando is a Canadian actor who currently co-stars as the scene-stealing criminal named Nacho in AMC’s Emmy-nominated Better Call Saul. He also appeared on Orphan Blackand brought to life the fan-favorite character Vaas Montenegro in the Ubisoft videogame Far Cry 3.

[Update: The official Better Call Saul Twitter account strongly hinted that Mando is playing Cletus Kasady, the demented and violent felon that becomes Carnage. They tweeted: "Michael Mando is spectacular at bringing carnage to life in Better Call Saul."]

'Better Call Saul' Actor Michael Mando Joins 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' (Exclusive)

ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK Actress Joins SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Selenis-Leyva-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Following the first round of images from the Atlanta set of Spider-Man: Homecoming, another solitary snap has made its way online, and confirms that Selenis Leyva (Orange is the New Black, Veep, Blue Bloods) has been added to the cast.

The previous set pics were all taken in and around the set of Peter's (Tom Holland) high school, so if you'd assumed Leyva was playing a faculty member, you'd be spot on.

According to Marvelous Realm she's playing Peter's Physics teacher at Midtown School of Science & Technology, so it's probably safe to assume she won't have a huge role in the film.

'Orange is the New Black' Actress Selenis Leyva Joins the Cast of 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'

Update: June 20, 2016

Bob Persichetti Announced as the Director of Sony's SPIDER-MAN Animated Movie

Sony-Pictures-Animation-Spider-Man-062016-Dragonlord.jpg

Sony Pictures Animation has announced its full film and TV slate for 2017 and 2018 Monday afternoon in a press release. The production company has a packed two years, with plenty of franchise films in the mix.

Spider-Man also gets an animated feature for Christmastime 2018, and is rumored to feature Miles Morales as the lead character. Surf's Up gets a sequel, as well, direct to video in partnership with WWE Studios. Below is Sony's press release:

"From Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, the geniuses behind The LEGO Movie, comes an animated Spider-Man feature slated for theatrical release December 21, 2018. The film is being written by Phil Lord. Avi Arad, Amy Pascal, Phil Lord & Christopher Miller are producing; Craig Sost is co-producing. Bob Persichetti (head of story on Puss in Boots and The Little Prince) is directing."

Sony Pictures Animation Announces 2017-2018 Slate Including Spider-Man, Hotel Transylvania 3, More

Update: June 21, 2016

Abdulah Attah Joins the Cast of SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Abraham-Attah-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Abraham Attah, the 15-year old Ghana-born actor who was discovered while playing soccer and made a remarkable screen debut alongside Idris Elba as the primary child soldier Abu in Cary Fukunaga’s Beasts Of No Nation, has joined the cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming.

The Jon Watts-directed pic from Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios is the first major role that Attah has taken since that Netflix film. Attah is on the set in Atlanta. Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal are producing.

Though Attah was surprisingly snubbed by the Oscars in a rather tone deaf year for the Academy, he won Best Lead Actor Award in the Independent Spirits. He also won the Marcello Mastroianni Award for Best Young Actor at Venice and was nommed for Critics’ Choice and SAG Awards honors.

‘Beasts Of No Nation’ Revelation Abraham Attah Joins ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’

Comedian Hannibal Buress Joins SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Hannibal-Buress-Spider-Man-Homecoming-2-Dragonlord.jpg

Hannibal Buress is joining the cast of Sony and Marvel’s Spider-Man: Homecoming. Jon Watts is on board to direct. Plot details are still being heavily guarded as is Buress’ character. Production is expected to start this summer with the film hitting theaters on July 7, 2017.

Tom Holland will play Peter Parker in the reboot with Marisa Tomei taking on Aunt May. Michael Keaton is also on board for the role of a villain. Other actors who have joined the cast over the last several weeks include Logan Marshall-Green, Donald Glover, Zendaya and Tony Revolori.

Buress, a stand-up comedian, has recently shifted gears to film, with upcoming roles in some of next year’s more anticipated comedies. First he has The Masterpiece, opposite Dave and James Franco, which is a movie about the making of what is widely considered the worst film of all-time, The Room. He will follow that up with Dwayne Johnson’s reboot of Baywatch.

Comedian Hannibal Buress Joins the Cast of 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' (Exclusive)

Newcomers Isabella Amara, Jorge Lendeborg Jr. and J.J. Totah Join SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Isabella-Amara-Jorge-Lendeborg-Jr-JJ-Totah-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Relative newcomers Isabella Amara, Jorge Lendeborg Jr. and J.J. Totah have joined the cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming, Sony and Marvel Studios’s reboot of the franchise that is heading towards a shooting start later in June in Atlanta. Character details were not disclosed.

Amara played a teenaged Melissa McCarthy in the comedienne’s spring comedy The Boss, and recently wrapped Fox Searchlight’s Wilson opposite Woody Harrelson. She also finished shooting The Tale opposite Laura Dern.

Lendeborg Jr. made his feature debut starring in The Land, a gritty coming-of-age drama that premiered at Sundance and was snapped by IFC Films, which set it for a limited released July 29.

Totah has appeared in shows such as Jessie and Glee but made his feature debut in the much-buzzed Sundance cancer comedy Other People which stars Jesse Plemons and Molly Shannon and will be released September 9.

'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Adds Newcomers Isabella Amara, Jorge Lendeborg Jr. and J.J. Totah to the Cast

Update: June 16, 2016

Logan Marshall-Green to Play the Secondary Villain in SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Logan-Marshall-Green-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Logan Marshall-Green is in talks to join Michael Keaton in Spider-Man: Homecoming, Sony’s reboot of its franchise on which it has partnered with Marvel Studios.

Keaton is playing the main bad guy in the movie and Marshall-Green would swing in as an evildoer alongside him.

Homecoming has been on a casting tear as it heads towards a shoot later this month. Donald Glover joined the call sheet earlier this week, boarding a roll call that includes Marisa Tomei as Aunt May and Zendaya as the female lead.

Tom Holland is starring as Peter Parker/Spider-Man in a story that takes the character back to his high-school roots. Jon Watts is directing.

Marshall-Green is best known for co-starring in Ridley Scott’s Alien-themed Prometheus and most recently starred in Karyn Kusama’s horror thriller, The Invitation. He is also starring in Cinemax’s series Quarry.

'Prometheus' Actor Logan Marshall-Green in Talks to Join Michael Keaton in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' (Exclusive)

Update: June 16, 2016

SILICON VALLEY's Martin Starr Joins SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Martin-Starr-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Silicon Valley star Martin Starr is joining the burgeoning cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming, the Jon Watts-directed pic from Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios.

Aside from the HBO comedy, Starr’s been in a bunch of cult favorite pics and series including Freaks And Geeks and Party Down, as well as Adventureland, Knocked Up and Superbad. He most recently starred in I’ll See You In My Dreams, which premiered at Sundance, and he produced and starred in Operator, which debuted at SXSW.

This will mark something of a double homecoming for Starr, who previously had a brief cameo as a computer nerd in 2008’s The Incredible Hulk, and also worked with Homecoming screenwriter John Francis Daley on the landmark show Freaks & Geeks.

‘Silicon Valley' Star Martin Starr Joins the Cast of Sony and Marvel Studios' ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’

Update: June 14, 2016

COMMUNITY's Donald Glover Joins SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Donald-Glover-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Donald Glover is in talks to join the cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming. The film is Sony’s reboot of its Spider-Man franchise, which it has partnered with Marvel to produce, and the movie is due to begin production later this month. Details of Glover's character are being kept secret.

Tom Holland is starring as Peter Parker/Spider-Man in a story that takes the character back to his high-school roots. The project has been quietly casting up and the roll call includes Michael Keaton as a villain, Marisa Tomei as Aunt May and Zendaya as the female lead. Also on board are Tony Revolori and Laura Harrie. Robert Downey Jr. will appear as Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Amy Pascal and Marvel’s Kevin Feige are producing the project that has Jon Watts in the director’s chair.

The casting is a closing of a circle of sorts for Glover. When Sony was rebooting Spider-Man for what became 2012’s The Amazing Spider-Man, a vocal grassroots fan campaign emerged for him to star in it, with Glover even embracing the movement. The part went to Andrew Garfield, although Glover was able to partly fulfill his dream by voicing mixed-race Spider-Man Miles Morales on Disney XD’s animated series Ultimate Spider-Man.

Glover has proven to be talent across multiple platforms. He is known as a rap artist working under the name Childish Gambino and also was a writer on 30 Rock, joining that show at age 21. The actor also co-starred on the cult comedy Community and appeared in Magic Mike XXL as well as The Martian.

'Community' Alum Donald Glover in Talks to Join Sony and Marvel Studios' 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'

Update: June 9, 2016

Kenneth Choi Joins the Cast of SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Kenneth-Choi-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Kenneth Choi who portrayed Judge Lance Ito in FX’s popular The People vs. O.J. Simpson has just been cast in Marvel/Sony’s Spider-Man: Homecoming.

The casting puts Choi in some rarefied air playing two separate characters in the Marvel universe. He also was in Captain America: The First Avenger in 2011. Sources said he will be playing the school principal in Spider-Man.

Choi played Jim Morita in Captain America: The First Avenger, a part he later reprised in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The actor was also in The Wolf of Wall Street and Sons of Anarchy.

'The People vs. O.J. Simpson' Actor Kenneth Choi Joins Sony/Marvel’s ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’

Update: June 6, 2016

THE DARK TOWER's Michael Barbieri Joins SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Michael-Barbieri-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

Spider-Man: Homecoming continues to fill out the roles of Peter Parker's classmates, as Michael Barbieri has joined the film, Heroic Hollywood was first to report. The fourteen year-old actor is currently filming The Dark Tower also at Sony Pictures, who will co-produce Homecoming with Marvel Studios.

Comicbook.com sources say Barbieri's character will be a new one, though he'll be based off the Ultimate Spider-Man character Ganke. In that comicbook from Marvel Comics, Ganke is the trusted best friend of the other Spider-Man, Miles Morales. His affinity for superheroes and unwavering optimism and support of his friend are his standout characteristics, which can be expected to be found in Barbieri's new character.

Spider-Man is in a landmark rights-sharing deal between Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios, where Sony produces (and benefits from) his solo films, but the character resides within the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Marvel Studios can use him in their team films. Spider-Man: Homecoming hits theaters July 7, 2017.

Michael Barbieri Joins 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' as One of Peter Parker's Classmates

Update: June 2, 2016

Storyboards for Sam Raimi's Scrapped SPIDER-MAN 4 Featuring the Vulture and Mysterio

Jeffrey Hendeson: "Ahhh, Spider-Man 4. Of all the projects I’ve worked on, I get asked about this more often than anything else. I hope that one day I can, (or somebody can), finally tell the whole story of Sam Raimi’s ‘abandoned’ fourth Spidey movie."

Spidey_Wings_1_LR.jpg

Spidey_1_LR.jpg

Spidey_Copter_LR.jpg

"Until then, out of respect for Sam, (and fear that he’d send Bruce Campbell to come after me with a chainsaw…), and everyone that worked on, or contributed to, this project, let me just say this:

It would’ve been one absolutely kick ass movie. Seriously. We were working on some crazy- cool stuff, because everyone, from top to bottom, felt that Spidey 3 was a bit of a ‘missed opportunity’, and we all really wanted to help Sam take SM4 to another level so he could end the series on a high note."

Spidey_Gargoyle_1_LR.jpg

Spidey_Gargoyle_2_LR.jpg

PeterFall_Flat.jpg

"Unfortunately, it wasn’t meant to be, but I did get to spend a few years working on 'OZ, The Great and Powerful', which was just amazing…

but that’s a whole ‘nother post."

SM4_BC_3_LR.jpg

SM4_BC_2_LR.jpg

SM4_BC_4_LR.jpg

SM4_BC_5_LR.jpg

SM4_BC_6_LR.jpg

"Anyway, Sam is almost superstitious about releasing any storyboards for anything, (go back and look at every 'The Art Of' book for every movie he’s ever done… you know what’s not gonna be there? Anywhere? That’s right: storyboards), I don’t really know why- but that’s just how he feels about it.

So, having said that, here are some ‘boards I can share, (without pissing Sam off), from the mysterious Spider-Man 4."

SM4_Ouch_LR.jpg

SM4_Blade_LR.jpg

io9 (via Comicbook.com) reached out to Henderson, and he confirmed that Campbell was only going to make a cameo as part of “a montage of C and D- list villains that we knew would never be used as main antagonists: Mysterio, the Shocker, the Prowler, the old school-onesie-wearing version of the Rhino, maybe even the Stilt Man, etc.”

Henderson also shed some light on Raimi's take on Vulture. “The thing we kept coming back to was that, as a character, everyone was going to dismiss the Vulture as just an old guy in a silly green suit,” Henderson said. “So we wanted to go the opposite way and really make him the most fearsome and formidable adversary that Spider-Man had faced in the series.”

SM4_Twist_LR.jpg

SM4_H_5_LR.jpg

SM4_Grab_LR.jpg

SM4_C_6_LR.jpg

http://www.planethenderson.com/#/spiderman4/

Last edited:
Update: May 27, 2016

Rumor: Sony's SPIDER-MAN Animated Movie Will Be About Miles Morales

Spider-Man-Miles-Morales-052716a-Dragonlord.jpg

According to Heroic Hollywood's sources, Miles Morales the teenage Half-Black, Half-Puerto Rican Spider-Man will be the focus of Phil Lord and Chris Miller’s 2018 animated Spider-Man film due from Sony on December 21, 2018.

The biggest clue (which was overlooked by many) was revealed last year at Cinemacon when Tom Rothman, chairman of the Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group, took the stage and made the announcement. "The film will exist independently of the projects in the live-action Spider-Man universe, all of which are continuing," Rothman said.

In other words, the animated film will not be tied to the current live action MCU currently featuring Tom Holland as Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War.

Miles Morales was created by writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Sara Pichelli, with Bendis and Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso drawing inspiration from both U.S. President Barack Obama and American actor Donald Glover. Morales was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York City, the 13-year-oldson of an African American father and a Puerto Rican mother.

Axel Alonso has described Miles as an intelligent nerd with an aptitude for science similar to his predecessor, Peter Parker. The character made his debut in the fourth issue of the Ultimate Fallout limited series, which was released on August 3, 2011. He later starred in the relaunched Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man series, written by Bendis and drawn by Pichelli, in September 2011.

Miles Morales To Be Focus Of 2018 Animated Spider-Man Film!

Update: May 20, 2016

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Details: The Vulture is the Main Villain and Spidey Costume

Vulture-Spider-Man-Homecoming-Dragonlord.jpg

JoBlo has just unveiled some major scoops for Sony's Spider-Man: Homecoming. The site confirms that not only is The Vulture in the film, but he is, in fact, the main villain. But, he’s not the only bad guy in the mix. The Vulture will be aided by none other than The Tinkerer, who will help him build his suit with recovered Chitauri tech from the Battle of New York.

Although we’ve already seen Spider-Man’s new duds in Captain America: Civil War, there will be some upgrades for Homecoming. We already know that Tony Stark will be featured in the film and it appears he’ll be in more of a mentor role than anything, while supplying him with modifications to his suit.

What kind of modifications? Well, if you stuck it out for the end credits of Civil War you got to see Peter Parker discover Stark’s costume Easter Egg for the web shooters that also featured Spidey’s signature signal light.

Well, it looks like we’ll be seeing more old-school signature Spidey features, as Stark will also be supplying the classic Web Wings from the comics that will be able to deploy as needed. So, it appears Spider-Man is going back to his Stan Lee/Steve Ditko roots and that is pretty badass.

Lastly, the site has uncovered that Tony Revolori's character name is Manuel and Zendaya will be playing Michelle.

JoBlo Exclusive Scoop on the Villains and Spidey Costume Upgrade for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'

Last edited:
Update: May 20, 2016

Michael Keaton Back in Talks as SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Villain

Michael-Keaton-Spider-Man-Homecoming-052016-Dragonlord.jpg

After momentarily passing on the opportunity to play the next Spider-Man villain, Michael Keaton is back in talks to join Sony’s Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Variety first reported Keaton was being eyed to play the villain last month, but talks barely began before the actor pulled his name from consideration over money issues. Sources said the dispute occurred after Robert Downey Jr. was added to the cast to reprise his role as Tony Stark. At the time, it looked as if the studio wouldn’t be able to afford both talents.

With Downey’s deal now closed, insiders say Sony and Marvel have now returned to Keaton and have found a way to make both parties happy.

If a deal closes, Keaton would join Tom Holland who is set to play the webslinger with Jon Watts directing. Marisa Tomei is set to play Aunt May, and Zendaya is also on board in a mystery role. Plot details are still being heavily guarded. Kevin Feige is producing with Amy Pascal.

Michael Keaton Back in the Mix for ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Villain (Exclusive)

Update: May 8, 2016

How Marvel Studios Persuaded Sony to Let Them Be the Creative Producers of SPIDER-MAN

Kevin-Feige-Spider-Man-050816-Dragonlord.jpg

Kevin Feige: "It came down to an initial lunch between myself and Amy Pascal and then many subsequent phone calls and meetings where I basically suggested that they should allow us to creatively produce the film for them. I don’t know how serious any of those ticking clocks ever were. On some characters, that was the case, with Spider-Man there were many years in between those films and I don’t think that was ever the case. They had all the time in the world to keep making those movies.

It became a question of…we are not good at helping, just occasionally giving input or occasional feedback or comments in a screening or on a script. I had done that a little bit on the earlier Amazing Spider-Man films. It doesn’t really work because you become one voice among many.

I said the only way, the best way that we could help is if you let us do it for you. It stays a Sony character and Sony pays for it and Sony makes the profits from the film and it is marketed and distributed by the entire Sony team. That deal was agreed to, over many discussions.

Thankfully, it’s now been well over a year and step one in our two-step plan is unveiled this weekend. So far, the response has been a dream come true in introducing him. Instead of it being the third reboot of the Spider-Man character, it becomes the first version of the Spider-Man character that we reveal has been inside the MCU.

To Amy’s credit and to Tom Rothman, who now has been at the helm at Sony as we’ve been actively putting it all together, their support has been spectacular in allowing us to bring him into this world."

Marvel Studios President Talks About Sony Deal in Bringing Spider-Man to the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Last edited:
Update: April 21, 2016

Robert Downey Jr. Joins the Cast of SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Robert-Downey-Jr-Spider-Man-Homecoming-2-Dragonlord_1.jpg

It looks like the team-up of Spider-Man and Iron Man seen in Captain America: Civil War won’t be the duo’s last. Robert Downey Jr., who plays the red and gold-armored Marvel character, has closed a deal to join the cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming, Marvel and Sony’s reboot of the web-crawling superhero, sources tell THR.

Tom Holland will star as Peter Parker/Spider-Man and is making his debut as the character in Civil War (and already garnering praise for his take on the role). The movie establishes a key relationship between Tony Stark/Iron Man and Parker and Homecoming will continue that thread.

Homecoming has been casting up ahead of its June start of production. Marisa Tomei will play Aunt May, while Zendaya is one of the female leads. Tony Revolori, who starred opposite Ralph Fiennes in The Grand Budapest Hotel, and Laura Harrier, who appeared in the soap opera One Life to Live, are also boarding the project.

With Downey’s boarding, it appears that Marvel Studios will continue to keep Spider-Man close not just creatively but also literally; Tony Stark/Iron Man appearing in Homecoming keeps the Sony’s movies strongly tied to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Robert Downey Jr. Signed on to Appear in Marvel Studios and Sony's 'Spider-Man: Homecoming

Update: April 15, 2016

Laura Harrier and Tony Revolori Joins the Cast of SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Laura-Harrier-Tony-Revolori-Spider-Man-Dragonlord.jpg

One Life to Live star Laura Harrier has landed a significant role in Sony and Marvel’s Spider-Man: Homecoming, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

Tony Revolori (The Grand Budapest Hotel, Dope) has also joined the cast as Peter Parker’s friend Manuel, according to insiders.

Jon Watts (Cop Car) is directing the new Spider-Man, which will star Tom Holland as the webslinger and Marisa Tomei as his Aunt May. Zendaya will co-star as a mysterious character named Michelle, while Michael Keaton is in talks to play a villain.

The new Spider-Man movie was written by John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein and will focus on Peter Parker’s high school days. The writers are believed to have infused the superhero film with the spirit of John Hughes‘ classic high school movies.

Marvel’s Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal are producing Spider-Man: Homecoming, which will swing into theaters on July 7, 2017.

Best known for playing Destiny Evans on the long-running soap One Life to Live, Harrier has previously appeared in the Anna Kendrick musical The Last 5 Years and the indie comedy 4th Man Out. The model-turned-actress recently filmed Steve McQueen‘s HBO drama pilot Codes of Conduct.

‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Casts Laura Harrier From ‘One Life to Live’ and Tony Revolori From 'Grand Budapest Hotel' (Exclusive)

Comments: So it looks like THR's Borys Kit's report that the movie will focus on a diversity cast is true. And it looks like they're playing brand new characters. Cool cool.

Last edited:
Update: April 13, 2016

Michael Keaton in Talks for Villain Role in SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING [Updated]

Michael-Keaton-Spider-Man-Homecoming-042116-Dragonlord.jpg

The new Spider-Man movie is targeting former Batman actor Michael Keaton to play the villain in Marvel/Sony’s reboot of the web-crawling hero, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Talks are in the very stages - it’s not quite clear if there’s offer on the table – but overtures are there. It is unclear what character Keaton would play in the story that is said to take Spider-Man to his high school roots.

Titled Spider-Man: Homecoming, the movie begins shooting this summer and will launch a third incarnation of one of Marvel’s most popular heroes. Directed by Jon Watts, Spider-Man: Homecoming opens on July 7, 2017

[Update: Michael Keaton is no longer in talks to join Spider-Man: Homecoming. No details on why he dropped out or what villain role he was supposed to play.]

Michael Keaton Circling Villain Role in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'

Comments: Keaton will probably be playing the Vulture, which would be nice twist since he also played a winged superhero character in Birdman.

Update: April 12, 2016

Spider-Man Reboot Officially Titled SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING

2dhxyd2.jpg

Spidey finally has a name. Sony unveiled the title for its Spider-Man reboot — Spider-Man Homecoming — at its CinemaCon presentation on Tuesday night.

The studio also brought out Tom Holland, who will star as the young Peter Parker, as the surprise guest. The young actor was flown to Las Vegas straight from the premiere of Captain America: Civil War in Hollywood.

The first clip from Spider-Man Homecoming showed Holland’s Parker meeting Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark, who drops by his Aunt May’s (Marisa Tomei) house. The film, directed by Jon Watts, is set to hit theaters July 7, 2017.

Sony kicked off its presentation at CinemaCon with the first big footage from both Ang Lee's Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk and the sci-fi love story Passengers, starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. CinemaCon runs through Thursday.

CinemaCon: 'Spider-Man Homecoming' Set as Official Title by Sony

The Vulture Rumored to Appear in SPIDER-MAN Reboot; Title Possibly Confirmed

Vulture-Adrian-Toomes-Dragonlord.jpg

Peter Parker will face off with classic Spider-Man foe, The Vulture, a new report out of CinemaCon suggests. The report comes via Birth.Movies.Death, and claims that someone with inside information on the production of the next Spider-Man let slip that the airborne rogue will appear in the reboot. According to the site, it's still unclear how large the Vulture's role would be but the site previously heard that he won't be the main villain.

The report also confirmed that Spider-Man: Homecoming is the current title attached to the project, and that it may be made official as soon as Sony’s CinemaCon presentation later today.

Fans of the original Spider-Man trilogy may remember that director Sam Raimi wanted to include the Vulture in one of his films and John Malkovich was in talks for the role. Raimi always favored those classic Stan Lee/Steve Ditko villains, but Sony Pictures preferred the more modern villains like Venom, leading to some tension between the two.

The Vulture Rumored To Appear In Spider-Man Movie Reboot; Movie Title Possibly Finalized

Last edited:

Kevin Feige Reiterates Marvel Studios Has Creative Control Over SPIDER-MAN Reboot

Kevin-Feige-Spider-Man-041216-Dragonlord.jpg

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige: “We’re working very much [together]. It is a— I don’t know exactly what the credits will be, but it is a Sony Pictures production of a Marvel Studios film. The agreement was that it is very much a Sony Pictures movie. Amy Pascal is co-producing it with us and [Sony Chairman] Tom Rothman is leading the charge for Sony and that we are the creative producers. We are the ones hiring the actor, introducing him in this film, and then working right now on the script and soon to be shooting the actual Spidey film.”

“We spend a lot of time as we work on these movies saying ‘Don’t take it for granted that the audience saw the other the other movies or that the audience is as versed in the comic books as we are.’ We take great pains to give you everything you need to know within the context of whatever movie you’re actually watching. However, we did say, if it’s safe to assume anything, it’s safe to assume that everybody knows how Spider-Man became Spider-Man and what that backstory was. We’ve seen it a number of times now, it’s its own well-known mythology. So we said, let’s reveal that there’s been a Spider-Man in the MCU and we meet him, as you see, in [Civil War].”

“There are events that made Peter who he was, and we’ll certainly allude to those events, but we’re much more focused on his future and how he continues to grow and have a steep learning curve after, certainly, the adventure he had in Civil War on how to be his own hero.”

‘Spider-Man’ Reboot: Kevin Feige Says Marvel Studios Are the “Creative Producers” on the Film

Update: April 8, 2016

Marvel Studios Characters Confirmed to Appear in SPIDER-MAN Movie

Captain-America-Civil-War-Team-Iron-Man-Dragonlord.jpg

Sony Pictures is rebooting the character in an untitled Spider-Man film with Tom Holland as Peter Parker, set for release July 7, 2017.

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige told EW, yes – not only does Spidey end up helping Iron Man in Civil War, but the plan is for some Marvel Cinematic Universe stalwarts to appear in Spider-Man’s film. “He is in the universe now, and the fun of the universe is that characters go back and forth,” Feige said.

Last year, after disappointment over The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and a hacking scandal that upended leadership at the studio, Sony agreed to share the character with Marvel Studios, in exchange for getting a deadline extension. That brought the studio time to put together the 2017 film, which will be directed by Cop Car filmmaker Jon Watts.

Feige can’t say exactly who from the MCU will appear in the Spider-Man film, but when he was asked by EW, Civil War filmmaker Joe Russo jumped in with a suggestion.

“Let’s just say … Great Lakes Avengers,” said Russo, who directed the Captain America film with his brother Anthony.

He’s joking. Unless you think Mister Immortal, the pink pterodactyl woman Dinah Soar, Big Bertha (whose power is severe obesity), the intangible teleporter Doorman, and the two-dimensional Flatman will actually turn up onscreen.

Marvel Studios characters will join Spider-Man in his standalone movie

Update: March 10, 2016

First Official Look at the New SPIDER-MAN in CIVIL WAR Trailer

Spider-Man-Debut-Civil-War-Trailer-Dragonlord.jpg

Possibly the best kept secret since Han Solo's fate in Star Wars: The Force Awakens has finally been revealed - the look of Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War.

After months of playing with the internet and fans everywhere, Marvel Studios finally unveiled the webhead in the latest trailer for Captain America: Civil War.

This is the very first time fans have seen any bit of Tom Holland's portrayal of Peter Parker. Not a single piece of promo art, merchandise, or footage has featured a slight look at Marvel's Spider-Man.

In February of last year, Sony and Marvel struck a deal which would allow Spider-Man to appear in Captain America: Civil War, which, at the time, had barely begun production in Georgia. Tom Holland was not-so-quickly cast in the role and it was announced that following his first appearance in Civil War, we would get a standalone Spider-Man film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in July of 2017.

First Look at Spider-Man in New CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR Trailer

Last edited:
Update: March 7, 2016

Zendaya Joins Tom Holland in Sony's SPIDER-MAN Reboot

Zendaya-Spider-Man-030716-Dragonlord.jpg

Zendaya will join Tom Holland in Sony and Marvel's Spider-Man reboot. Holland is starring as Peter Parker in Sony's new take on the webslinger. Zendaya's role is currently being kept under wraps, but sources say it is not a lead role. Marisa Tomei is attached to play Aunt May.

Jon Watts is directing the currently untitled Spider-Man reboot from Marvel and Sony. Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal are producing the film, which focuses on a teenage Parker.

Deadline reports that Zendaya will be playing a character named Michelle, but don't provide any further details. Could this be Michele Gonzales, who is a supporting character in the Spider-Man comics?

Zendaya was one of a handful of actresses who had been testing with Holland for the past couple of weeks, but Variety insiders stress that the character is neither Parker’s love interest nor a lead role. She will, however, play a bigger part in future installments.

Zendaya is known for starring on Disney Channel's Shake It Up, and also appeared on the 16th season of Dancing With the Stars. She currently stars on Disney Channel's K.C. Undercover.

K.C. Undercover Star Zendaya Joins Tom Holland in Sony's Spider-Man Reboot

Update: October 22, 2015

Tom Holland Explains How He Got Injured on CIVIL WAR Set

Tom-Holland-Spider-Man-102615a-Dragonlord.jpg

Josh Wilding of HeyUGuys and others chatted with Tom Holland recently, and managed to get a little bit out of him on his role as Spider-Man in the upcoming Captain America: Civil War and his own solo film. The young actor said he actually got hurt "just before [his] last shot" on Civil War in an accident on set.

"It was my own mistake. I basically fell over and bashed my face in front of about two hundred crew members, so not my most heroic moment!" Holland said with a smile. "I was getting into position, everything went wrong, and they still did the take anyway."

The actor said, "it's impossible not to" take inspiration from Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield's takes on Spider-Man. "They were so great, and such real and rich performances, there were obviously factors that I love and will try to recreate. But I think the most important thing of the moment is to make a film that's obviously of the same character, but try to make a different, and new and exciting movie."

Spider-Man Actor Tom Holland Talks Bashing His Face in Captain America: Civil War

Update: August 4, 2015

Rumor: Kraven May Be the Villain in SPIDER-MAN Reboot

Sony-Spider-Man-Kravens-Last-Hunt-Dragonlord.jpg

The hunt is on for Sony’s next Spider-Man villain—and it looks to be none other than Kraven The Hunter.

Newly surfaced rumors suggest that Sony and Marvel want Kraven The Hunter as Spider-Man’s main nemesis in the upcoming Spider-Man reboot. The scoop comes from Heroic Hollywood, where the site reportedly heard that Sony’s Vice President of Creative Affairs, Karen Moy, purchased a copy of the "Kraven’s Last Hunt" trade paperback last week. As HH reported, Moy routinely purchased novels for her former Sony boss, Amy Pascal, signaling a revealing trend.

Kraven The Hunter, a.k.a. Sergei Nikolaevich Kravinoff, is one of Spider-Man’s oldest supervillains. As a skilled hunter always looking for the next target, Kraven continuously hunts Spider-Man as "the ultimate prey." "Kraven’s Last Hunt" is considered the character’s most iconic story, in which Kraven actually succeeds in hunting down and “killing” Spider-Man (don’t worry, he got better).

Since "Kraven’s Last Hunt" takes place well into the adult Spider-Man’s career, it’s hard to imagine that Sony would directly adapt the story for their teenaged Spider-Man. What’s more likely is that Sony execs are just using the graphic novel as basic research into the character and his motivations.

Rumor: Kraven The Hunter May Be The Villain In Spider-Man Reboot

Update: July 29, 2015

Screenwriters Confirm No Origin Story for SPIDER-MAN Reboot

John-Francis-Daley-Jonathan-Goldstein-Spider-Man-Dragonlord.jpg

Spider-Man screenwriters John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein were at the premiere of Vacation, which they wrote and directed, and said the tone of the Marvel reboot will be different from the character's previous feature film iterations.

"The main difference I think is the tone will be really grounded, about a real kid who gets these powers and what that means to a geeky, outcast kid and how he deals with them," Goldenstein told USA Today. "You don't instantly become a superhero, it's a long journey." Daley added, "It's spending a lot more time in the high school. And so we have time to sort of develop the powers with him and experience the wish fulfillment. And also just the fact that it is really alienating to other people."

Daley then confirmed that the reboot won't waste time showing how Spidey got his powers, and it will avoid the goofy mistakes Sam Raimi (Evil Dead) made in the original trilogy. "I don't think the origin story is going to be in there and also I think we're going to avoid the emo dance (from Spider-Man 3) ... as much love it," he said.

They want to focus on the "self-conscious" Peter Parker who is not popular and a "little geeky." Goldstein explained, "We want to sort of tell that story, and the fact that getting powers and becoming Spider-Man doesn't solve your problems." Daley added, "Because he has to keep it a secret from everyone, so it just makes everything worse for him."

Screenwriters Confirm There Will Be No Origin Story For Marvel's Spider-Man Reboot

Update: July 16, 2015

VACATION Writer-Directors to Pen Sony's SPIDER-MAN Reboot

John-Francis-Daley-Jonathan-Goldstein-Spider-Man-2-Dragonlord.jpg

Vacation writer-directors John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein are being set right now to write the Spider-Man reboot movie for Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios. The pair had been among the names on a shortlist to direct, but that gig went to Cop Car helmer Jon Watts, and the studio already has found its new Peter Parker in Tom Holland.

Getting a script ready for production was the next step as the pic is slated for release on July 28, 2017. Amy Pascal and Marvel’s Kevin Feige are producing the latest iteration of $4 billion superhero saga, which finds the action set in high school — though it is not considered to be an origin story.

In addition to another reboot in New Line’s Vacation, which comes out July 29 as their directorial debut, Daley and Goldstein paired on writing the Horrible Bossesfilms and The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. They also co-wrote the script for Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2, which came from Sony’s Columbia Pictures.

‘Spider-Man’ Reboot Finds Its Writers: ‘Vacation’ Duo John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein In Talks

Last edited:
Update: July 8, 2015

Marisa Tomei to Play Aunt May in Marvel's SPIDER-MAN Reboot

Marisa-Tomei-Aunt-May-070815-Dragonlord.jpg

Now that Sony and Marvel have found their new Peter Parker in Tom Holland and booked Jon Watts to direct the reboot, it's time to start filling out the rest of Spider-Man's world. Marisa Tomei is in final negotiations to play Aunt May, a source confirms.

In the Spider-Man comic books, May Reilly Parker-Jameson, better known as Aunt May, is the adoptive parent of the orphaned Peter Parker, raising him with love, and serving as his moral compass. The role of Aunt May was previously played by Sally Field in the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man series and Rosemary Harris in Sam Raimi's films, which starred Tobey Maguire.

Sony and Marvel's new films will feature a younger Peter Parker, who is just a freshman in high school. Therefore, the studios seem to also be aiming for a younger Aunt May to present an updated, more contemporary version of the character. The new film, which will be produced by Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal, is slated for release on July 28, 2017.

Contrary to other reports, THR hears that Tomei's Aunt May may be making her first appearance in Marvel and Disney's Captain America: Civil War. Holland's Peter Parker is also expected to cameo in that 2016 film.

Marisa Tomei in Talks to Play Aunt May in Spider-Man Reboot; May Debut in Civil War

Update: June 23, 2015

How the New SPIDER-MAN Actor and Director Were Chosen

Jon-Watts-Spider-Man-062315a-Dragonlord.jpg

After seeing more than 1,500 actors, Marvel and Sony, using lead casting director Sarah Finn narrowed the list to six for a fateful screen test on May 30 in Atlanta, where Civil War is currently shooting. Those actors - Tom Holland, Asa Butterfield, Judah Lewis, Matthew Lintz, Charlie Plummer and Charlie Rowe - are all between the ages of 14 and 19, in keeping with producers' goal of casting a Peter Parker who actually looks like he is in high school.

Robert Downey Jr., whose Iron Man character appears in Civil War and is said to share scenes with Peter Parker/Spider-Man, participated with the actors in the tests, which included former-Sony-chief-turned-producer Amy Pascal and Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige. They were looking for chemistry between the boy and the elder Avenger.

After the initial round of tests, producers narrowed the contenders to just two, Holland and Rowe, though Holland was the frontrunner. Unable to decide between them, they asked for a second screen test that occurred the week of June 8. Sources say that Holland was the only actor who tested separately with Downey and Chris Evans, who portrays Captain America.

But still, there was the issue of the film not having a director. The dark horse among the contenders was Jon Watts, who hails from the comedy world but whose most recent film was the Sundance thriller Cop Car, a story about two kids who steal a police car belonging to a corrupt sheriff. He also has done extensive commercial and music video work, helming videos for Fatboy Slim and Death Cab for Cutie.

The testing process wasn't easy for directors. Sources say Feige and Pascal were looking for someone with comedy experience but also with a perspective that would distinguish the new movies from the five already made in the past 13 years. Feige is said to have handpicked 33-year old Watts, falling for the filmmaker's take on the world of Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

Robert Downey Jr. and Screen-Tests: How the New 'Spider-Man' Team Was Chosen

Update: June 23, 2015

It's Official: Tom Holland is Cast as the New SPIDER-MAN!

Tom-Holland-Spider-Man-062315c-Dragonlord.jpg

Sony has found its newest web-slinger. Tom Holland will star as the Marvel superhero, a character who has been played in recent years by Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield. Jon Watts is set to direct the upcoming Spider-Man; he also directed the coming-of-age thriller Cop Car, which premiered at Sundance this year.

With Holland in the lead, the franchise is now ready to reboot for a new series of Sony films, the first of which will arrive in theaters July 28, 2017 but not before Spider-Man first appears in Marvel Studios' Captain America: Civil War.

The decision comes after stealth test-screening in Atlanta on May 30 that saw Holland and Asa Butterfield (Ender's Game) test, along with Judah Lewis (Demolition), Matthew Lintz (Pixels), Charlie Plummer (Boardwalk Empire) and Charlie Rowe (Red Band Society).

Those tests - with Marvel head honcho Kevin Feige, former Sony head and now a Spider-Man producer Amy Pascal and Civil War directors Joe and Anthony Russo present - were the culmination of a worldwide search in which the producers looked at over 1,500 boys from around the globe.

Sources say the decision came down to Holland and Rowe, with the producers favoring the older of the actors, and the duo were asked to retest. Holland turned 19 years old in June. Still, the studios were very meticulous in their decision-making.

Marvel and Sony made it a point to recast Peter Parker, aka Spider-Man, as a teenager, since the new series will be set entirely in high school. Watts, meanwhile, beat out director contenders such as Jonathan Levine and the team of John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein. Sources say it was Feige who made the ultimate call regarding the new director.

Variety adds that Spider-Man is only expected to have a cameo in Captain America: Civil War, so there wasn't a rush to make a decision since the actor would only be shooting for about a week.

Tom Holland Officially Cast as the New Spider-Man; Jon Watts to Direct 2017 Film

Last edited:
Update: June 12, 2015

Marvel Studios and Sony Clashing Over SPIDER-MAN Casting?

Tom-Holland-Charlie-Plummer-Matthew-Lintz-Dragonlord.jpg

Sony and Marvel's hunt for a new live-action Spider-Man continues to narrow, as actor Asa Butterfield was reportedly struck from the studios' list. Butterfield, who was rumored as one of Marvel and Sony's favorite candidates for Peter Parker, is now apparently out of the picture. There's speculation that Butterfield might have messed up his chances by going on Reddit and discussing his potential casting.

As The Wrap's Jeff Sneider reported on the latest episode of Meet The Movie Press Live, he's heard only three actors remain in the race. According to Sneider, the three actors still in the running are Tom Holland (The Impossible), Charlie Plummer (Boardwalk Empire), and Matthew Lintz (Pixels). [Actors' images appear on the image above in the order they were listed here.]

But it seems that the house is divided on who should get the tights. According to Sneider, Marvel is favoring Plummer while Sony wants Holland. Apparently the two studios can't come to an agreement. Sony reportedly wants Holland so badly, that they've pushed him ahead as the new frontrunner.

According to a new report from Birth Movies Death (via Comicbook.com), Tom Holland and Charlie Rowe are the two finalists. The site further says that their source at Sony denies any conflicts with Marvel over the choice of actor, saying instead that all involved simply want to be sure they have the right guy.

Spider-Man Actors Narrowed Down to Tom Holland, Charlie Plummer, Matthew Lintz

Update: June 2, 2015

SPIDER-MAN Director Shortlist Narrowed Down to Finalists

rumeur-spider-man-4-4.jpg

Sony Pictures is getting close to untangling the web of intrigue over the next iteration of Spider-Man. It's down to the wire, both on the choice of the actor who'll play Peter Parker - Asa Butterfield and Tom Holland are the frontrunners - and also on the filmmaker who'll steer a multi-picture arc that takes the protagonist through high school.

After a long vetting process, Sony Pictures and Marvel are zeroed in on the favorites, St Vincent helmer Ted Melfi and Warm Bodies' Jonathan Levine. Still in contention are John Francis Daley & Jonathan M. Goldstein, the director-writers of the updated version of John Hughes' Vacation.

There is a new contender who was a surprise to Deadline. He is Jon Watts, a top commercials guy who made his feature debut with Cop Car, a Kevin Bacon-starrer that debuted at Sundance. This is all moving very quickly as the studio has narrowed the search from an initial field of a dozen directors, and the final decision comes down to producers Amy Pascal and Marvel's Kevin Feige, with Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman squarely in the mix. Not clear is whether the filmmaker who gets the job will write the script. Marvel and Sony are meeting with writers, but several of these finalists can write a script, too.

Spider-Man Director Short List Narrowed Down to Ted Melfi and Jonathan Levine

Update: May 30, 2015

More SPIDER-MAN Actors Screen-Test as Marvel Nears Decision

Judah-Lewis-Matthew-Lintz-Charlie-Plummer-Charlie-Rowe-Dragonlord.jpg

After a secretive all-day screen-testing process Saturday, Marvel is on the verge from choosing the actor who will don the red and blue suit of Spider-Man. According to sources, six teenage boys tested for the highly sought-after role in Captain America: Civil War and follow-up films, one of the biggest "gets" for a young actor in the film business.

Tom Holland, who appeared as one of Naomi Watts' sons in the acclaimed tsunami drama The Impossible, and Asa Butterfield, the child star from Hugo and Ender's Game, were the best known of the contenders. The other four hopefuls (in the image above from left to right) included: Judah Lewis (a relative newbie who will be seen in the Jean Marc-Vallee's fall drama Demolition), Matthew Lintz (who will be seen with Adam Sandler in this summer's Pixels), Charlie Plummer (who had a recurring gig on Boardwalk Empire), and Charlie Rowe (a British actor who appeared on Fox's short-lived Red Band Society).

Reports that Butterfield having been offered the role were false, as Marvel is only now in the midst of their decision. The tests cap off a worldwide search in which the producers looked at over 1,500 boys from around the world, narrowing them down to the final six only in the last two weeks or so.

The actors were flown to Atlanta for the tests; that is where Marvel is currently in production on Civil War, the movie in which the character will be introduced before going on to headline his own hopeful trilogy that will be made by Sony Pictures. Present for the tests were Marvel head honcho Kevin Feige, former head and now a Spider-Man producer Amy Pascal, and Joe and Anthony Russo, the brothers who are directing Civil War.

Spider-Man Hopefuls Screen-Test in Atlanta, Marvel Nears Casting Decision (Exclusive)

Update: May 20, 2015

Rumor: Matthew McConaughey Eyed for Norman Osborn Role?

Matthew-McConaughey-Green-Goblin-052015-Dragonlord.jpg

Oscar-winning actor Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club) recently revealed that he has read movie scripts for Marvel and DC projects, and now a new rumor has surfaced suggesting that Marvel wants him for a villainous role in their Spider-Man reboot.

That Hashtag Show is reporting that their source has informed them that Marvel is eyeing McConaughey for the role of Norman Osborn in the Spider-Man reboot. This source, which the claim is "reliable," based on previous Avengers: Age of Ultron info on the new Avengers lineup and the fate of one of the members. Of course, take this latest rumor with a grain of salt.

If McConaughey does take it on, he'll be the third feature film actor to play the head of Oscorp, who eventually becomes the Green Goblin. The previous two actors to play the ruthless villain were Willem Dafoe (Platoon) and Chris Cooper (American Beauty).

Asa Butterfield (Hugo, Ender's Game) is reportedly the frontrunner for Spider-Man. The new Spider-Man will make his debut appearance in Marvel's Captain America: Civil War, which is currently in production in Atlanta in anticipation of a May 2016 release date. Sony will then release a standalone Spider-Man movie, produced by Marvel's Kevin Feige, on July 28, 2017.

Rumor: Marvel Wants Matthew McConaughey For Norman Osborn In 'Spider-Man'

Last edited:
Update: May 14, 2015

Asa Butterfield Reportedly is the New SPIDER-MAN [Updated]

Asa-Butterfield-Spider-Man-042815-Dragonlord.jpg

Marvel Studios and Sony Studios have reportedly chosen Asa Butterfield (Ender's Game, Hugo) as the new cinematic Spider-Man. As certain reports claim, Marvel is entering negotiations with Butterfield's reps for the deal. While neither side has signed any paperwork, Umberto Gonzalez thinks that an official announcement will come once the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Latino Review is backing Gonzalez's rumors, claiming that Marvel has already officially cast Butterfield as Peter Parker and his wall-crawling alter-ego. What's more, Latino Review is reporting that Captain America: Civil War will indeed mark the new cinematic Spider-Man's debut.

Marvel was looking for a younger actor to step into the role of Peter Parker to capitalize on a time period in Spider-Man's life that has been underplayed on screen. This new, younger Peter Parker will be able to spend some time in high school before venturing out into the greater world.

Butterfield will presumably make his first appearance in Civil War next May followed by a solo Spider-Man movie with Sony and MCU characters on July 28th 2017. Rumors have Sony and Marvel planning to strike while the Spider-Man iron is hot beyond those two announced releases

[Update: Butterfield is now apparently out of the picture. There's speculation that Butterfield might have messed up his chances by going on Reddit and discussing his potential casting. Sherdog's Xion385 added: "So word on the street was Asa Butterfield had the gig, was bragging about getting the job to his homies, and fighting trolls on Reddit about it. Does he not know how NDAs work? What a dumbass if true."]

Marvel Studios and Sony Reportedly Cast Asa Butterfield as the New Spider-Man

Update: May 5, 2015

New Plot Details and Director Shortlist for Marvel's SPIDER-MAN

Marvel-Studios-Spider-Man-050515-Dragonlord.jpg

In the wake of the massive opening of Avengers: Age Of Ultron, it's no surprise that the audition process everybody's talking about is the selection of a director for the next iteration of Sony Pictures' live-action Spider-Man franchise, the first one that teams rights holder Sony Pictures with Marvel Studios genius Kevin Feige.

There are all kinds of rumors raging about the wall crawler, including that Feige and his producing accomplice Amy Pascal are planning an arc that will tell the Spidey story over three to four movies, each covering a year of high school for Peter Parker, who'll already have been bitten by the radioactive spider so we don't have to see that all over again. The tone they are searching for in the coming of age tale is John Hughes humor and emotion, plus all the superhero stuff.

Here are the filmmakers Deadline is told that are seriously in the mix right now. Don't take this as being all inclusive, but it sounds like things are moving quickly and they could make a decision by the end of next week and make a final choice with studio chief Tom Rothman. There is Jonathan Levine (Warm Bodies, 50/50); Ted Melfi (St. Vincent); Jason Moore (Pitch Perfect); John Francis Daley & Jonathan M. Goldstein (Vacation reboot) and Jared Hess (Napoleon Dynamite).

There is a separate simultaneous search going on for a new young actor to play Peter Parker. That role might be cast before a director and writers are set because the character is expected to show up in the next Marvel movie, Captain America: Civil War, which is being directed by Joe and Anthony Russo before they take over The Avengers franchise.

Spider-Man Movie: Sony & Marvel Studios Spin Web Of Directors For New Franchise

Update: May 1, 2015

SPIDER-MAN Narrowed Down to Asa Butterfield and Tom Holland

Asa-Butterfield-Tom-Holland-Dragonlord.jpg

It appears that Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures may have already narrowed down their list of contenders to play the new Spider-Man. The first shortlist story that arrived listed Nat Wolff, Asa Butterfield, Tom Holland, Timothee Chalamet, and Liam James as being among the candidates set to test for the role. Then a few days ago, a rumor surfaced that 18-year-old Butterfield is the frontrunner to play Peter Parker in the MCU and his own standalone movie via Sony.

Now Devin Faraci from Badass Digest says he's heard that Marvel and Sony (the latter has final say over casting) have zeroed in on Butterfield and Holland as the final two contenders to land the gig. Holland, who is 18, first came to prominence in the 2012 disaster drama The Impossible, and he continued with a standout turn in 2013's How I Live Now as well as the currently airing PBS miniseries Wolf Hall. His highest profile role to date comes this December in Ron Howard's period drama In the Heart of the Sea. Holland potentially has a leg up on Butterfield thanks to that film, in which he co-stars opposite Thor himself Chris Hemsworth.

Spider-Man will make his first appearance in Captain America: Civil War, which started production this week, but the character's scenes don't shoot until June. That said, it certainly sounds like Marvel and Sony are moving very quickly on getting this ball rolling.

Spider-Man Finalists Reportedly Narrowed Down to Tom Holland and Asa Butterfield

Update: April 22, 2015

Phil Lord & Chris Miller Making a SPIDER-MAN Animated Movie

Phil-Lord-Chris-Miller-Spider-Man-Animated-Movie-Dragonlord.jpg

Press Release: On July 20, 2018, Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, the directors of The Lego Movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and 21 and 22 Jump Street, are taking Spider-Man back to his graphic roots with the first-of-its-kind animated Spider-Man feature. The film will exist independently of the projects in the live-action Spider-Man universe, all of which are continuing. Lord & Miller are masterminding the project, writing the treatment and producing the film.

As previously announced, Spider-Man will next appear in a live-action Marvel film from Marvel's Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, a live-action film being produced by Kevin Feige at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. The animated film from Lord & Miller, dated July 20, 2018, has Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, and Pascal also serving as producers.

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

Sony Announces Spider-Man Animated Movie, Developed by Phil Lord & Chris Miller

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back