Spider Guard - inspiration

Willyw

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all!

I`m currently looking in to developing my spider-guard game. Any tips or videos online I can look in to? Any good spider guard players I can look up on youtube for inspiration? Maybe some instructional that helped you getting the grip on the spider guard concept?

Willy

Look up pictures of super mangled fingers and old people who can't make a fist or hold a spoon.

Be inspired!!!

Kesting has a good DVD set on it

Honestly I don't have interest in it because it's 1. Its extremely gi dependent and 2. It has no self defense application

That said it's a VERY informative watch

You should watch Michael Langhi. By far one of the best pure spider guard players

Sooooo many more practical things you could be developing beside spider guard.

Watch Michael Langhi. Also older matches (late 00's) matches from Romulo Barral and Cobrinha.

I despise spider guard. Both in terms of playing it and passing it. But especially playing it.

I do think it's interesting that it never really exploded in popularity and also never really vanished either. It's always sort of been where it is. It's never been a fringe position but also it's never really enjoyed any time as a trendy position either.

I despise spider guard. Both in terms of playing it and passing it. But especially playing it.

I do think it's interesting that it never really exploded in popularity and also never really vanished either. It's always sort of been where it is. It's never been a fringe position but also it's never really enjoyed any time as a trendy position either.

Believe it or not, the spider guard actually has some realistic application. Feet in the armpits or elbow crook for example can be used to defend against GnP. obviously it isn't the same as with a gi but I think you understand what I'm saying.

I'm always hesitant to spend time drilling or teaching techniques that rely exclusively on the gi.

true, but playing spider guard and developing it really attributes to good hip movement. Not to mention, you can really learn to disrupt people's balance when you understand the spider guard well, to the point you'll be able to use many of the principles even without a gi on. Not to mention, training spider guard overhead sweeps are awesome

Back