Spence: Ocampo didn’t have any power, I want Jessie Vargas next

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Spence (24-0, 21 KOs) says he’s not interested in defending against #2 IBF Yordenis Ugas next, because he doesn’t feel that will be a worthy fight. Spence prefers to face former two division world champion Jessie Vargas (28-2-1, 10 KOs) in his next fight if possible. Vargas is a high demand fighter, however, and he might not be willing to face him after the way he demolished the 22-year-old Ocampo last Saturday night in his second defense of his IBF 147lb title.

”I’ll probably fight later this year, a unification with (Danny} Garcia or (Shawn) Porter should happen 1st quarter next year,” Spence said. ”Keith Thurman coming back. [We share the] same manager, same network. I want big names. Jessie Vargas would be in front of Ugas, big names, ex-world champions, no disrespect, I’m looking to build my legacy and beating Ugas will not get me anywhere.”

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/06/spence-ocampo-didnt-have-any-power-i-want-jessie-vargas-next/

"I’m looking to build my legacy and beating Ugas will not get me anywhere"

... but beating Vargas will. lol

I mean, it's a bit of a dissapointment, but he's fought everybody who is willing to get in the ring with him so far it seems. If that's who he wants, I won't begrudge him for it.

Good luck getting guys to sign up to fight Spence right now lol.

I thought Vargas was rumored to be Thurman's comeback fight but not sure. Either way, a guy who fought to a legit draw with Broner last fight isn't going to be much more than a tune-up fight for any of the main title holders in the division.

Who calls out Jessie Vargas, FFS?

Pretty pathetic "call out" after a mandatory fight that didn't last one round.

I think he's just doing what all the other top guys are doing and waiting for a shot at the best guys in the division but you don't get fans demanding and pushing for you to get big fights by fighting someone who kind of sucks.

It's pathetic how much Thurman cried about not getting his shot but when he finally earned his straps he turned into someone who doesn't really want to fight anyone at all.

Well at least if he fought jessie Vargas it would last more than one damn round

giphy.gif

Ocampo didnt have any power- yet calling out a man with 10 ko's out of 31 fights. Guess Spence isnt going to fight anyone with a pulse anytime soon. Disappointment.

I like Spence as a fighter, and seems good likeable outside of the ring...but that doesnt mean much if he doesnt find some TOP people to mix shit up with.

This 'calling out' shit needs to stop at the end of fights because none of these fuckers seem to make it happen promptly. 'Ill call out fighter x!!!!" (but I wont fight him for a year or 2).

You want to call out Crawford, then make the effort NOW to fight him. Otherwise dont call him out.

Ocampo didnt have any power- yet calling out a man with 10 ko's out of 31 fights. Guess Spence isnt going to fight anyone with a pulse anytime soon. Disappointment.

I like Spence as a fighter, and seems good likeable outside of the ring...but that doesnt mean much if he doesnt find some TOP people to mix shit up with.

This 'calling out' shit needs to stop at the end of fights because none of these fuckers seem to make it happen promptly. 'Ill call out fighter x!!!!" (but I wont fight him for a year or 2).

You want to call out Crawford, then make the effort NOW to fight him. Otherwise dont call him out.
i dont agree with the anger in this post but i do agree with the disappointment in calling out Jessie Vargas. really outside of name value is Vargas legitimately more of a threat than Ugas

i dont agree with the anger in this post but i do agree with the disappointment in calling out Jessie Vargas. really outside of name value is Vargas legitimately more of a threat than Ugas

There seems to be this culture of 'calling out' then nothing happening for a year. I looked today at fighters from 20 years ago, fighting 6 times a year. Now we're lucky to see the PPV top dogs get it on more than once a year. Anger isnt at spence, like i said hes a great fighter, its at this new culture

Jessie is in Europe right now but I talked to his dad for about 30 minutes the other day. They want the rematch with Broner, but I didnt ask him about Spence as this was on Saturday before the fight. I think jessie would definitely be up to do that fight though, which is something a lot of other guys are not willing to do.

There seems to be this culture of 'calling out' then nothing happening for a year. I looked today at fighters from 20 years ago, fighting 6 times a year. Now we're lucky to see the PPV top dogs get it on more than once a year. Anger isnt at spence, like i said hes a great fighter, its at this new culture
i don't mind them fighting every 6 months. a 9 to 11 week camp is fucking grueling, not to mention the damage you take when in an actual fight. twice a year is fine as far as i'm concerned, but i also expect those fights to actually matter. ocampo came out swinging, but he was put down quickly. he was a mandatory, so whatever... but vargas? the fuck does vargas have for spence?

i saw spence say he'll fight crawford, but "let him do his thing" first, which i guess means they want to build up the fight first? and everyone else is tied up right now?

Why ask for Crawford when we all know there is zero chance of that happening any time soon?

Theyre both trying to build their brand.

Meh it’s just media hype . This is Spence just trying to play the game it’s better than the old days where pretty much all the old champs ended up strung out, disabled or homeless or some mix of the three.

I mean, it's a bit of a dissapointment, but he's fought everybody who is willing to get in the ring with him so far it seems. If that's who he wants, I won't begrudge him for it.
eh, he hasn't really fought anyone. He's the least accomplished title holder in the division. He shouldn't be calling out guys like Jessie Vargas.

He's got the skills but lets not start the "he's fought everyone who'll fight him" talk. He hasn't even had serious negotiations with anyone yet.

Back