Sparring

DynamiteHands

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
More sparring footage of me. I'm in the red head gear. All advice is welcome

Last edited:
You should keep all your posts in one single thread.. and that thread would do better in the Stand Up forum. This sub forum is cluttered enough with all the Connor/Mayweather bullshit.

Can we have a "Give DynamiteHands advice please thread"?

No, keep your threads in the boxing forum, that's what you want to discuss right? boxing.

.......... just probably have one thread though.

Nothing bad in that, you looked comfortable enough, pressured him at times but I do have a couple of quibbles here, something I mentioned in your other thread that bugs me.

1. Hit the mofo, dude this is not sparring, this is poking each other softly, you'll never improve the way you want sparring this softly, this is certainly not 75%, I'd give that 30% at best.

2. Move forward even more, dip your head left and right when coming in and get in his face.

3. Force your angles, you tend to box a lot straight down the pipe yet your always the shorter guy, get into hook range where your height will work for you and not your opponent, take their range away from them.

Your composure was fine but because of how light you guys spar this is why your form falters when someone comes at you hard.

My biggest takeaway from this is spar harder, hit harder.
Your opponent was a complete marshmellow, abuse that mofo not by blasting his head off so to speak but skill wise (and a bit of blasting lol).

*Just seen your response in the other thread about this ........... leave that gym ....... create one thread lol.

Last edited:
No, keep your threads in the boxing forum, that's what you want to discuss right? boxing.

.......... just probably have one thread though.

Nothing bad in that, you looked comfortable enough, pressured him at times but I do have a couple of quibbles here, something I mentioned in your other thread that bugs me.

1. Hit the mofo, dude this is not sparring, this is poking each other softly, you'll never improve the way you want sparring this softly, this is certainly not 75%, I'd give that 30% at best.

2. Move forward even more, dip your head left and right when coming in and get in his face.

3. Force your angles, you tend to box a lot straight down the pipe yet your always the shorter guy, get into hook range where your height will work for you and not your opponent, take their range away from them.

Your composure was fine but because of how light you guys spar this is why your form falters when someone comes at you hard.

My biggest takeaway from this is spar harder, hit harder.
Your opponent was a complete marshmellow, abuse that mofo not by blasting his head off so to speak but skill wise (and a bit of blasting lol).

*Just seen your response in the other thread about this ........... leave that gym ....... create one thread lol.
Sparring hard is being looked down upon these days due to brain trauma in the gym. Light sparring is recommended.

people are soft today, and it's a very valid point that brain damage is possible. a man needs to weigh out what he wants, if you want to be a fighter, you have to pay a price, same as being a soldier, a musician a student or whatever. Otherwise, you can call yourself a wannabee. Again, not to minimize the damage getting hit can do. Recently we had a thread on sparring, I recommended sparring hard maybe 5-10 percent of the time. I don't think the brain is as non-resilient as the experts are trying to say, they are saying things like it's a like jello or butter, if that's the case, anyone who ever fought would be drinking through straws. It's not good for you, but neither is driving, living in cities, eating and drinking the food most of us do. We have to decide what the benefits are and what they are worth.

fire the cameraman. head movements ok, how about using parries to block too?

fire the cameraman. head movements ok, how about using parries to block too?

He is the camera man lol.

He's just using his phone sat upright and left on record.

As for the hard sparring being frowned upon, like I said I'm not saying they should blast each other but currently they're sparring so softly I've seen women spar harder.

Going from soft to hard is an extreme depiction, I'm saying you find a happy medium.

The fact that his current club refuses to let any of their fighters let their hands go even to medium level shows they're just cashing in.
They want to make sure the white collars and marshmellow's keep feeling like Superman so they keep coming back for more $$$.

That's what happens when you train boxing in a Ju-jitsu gym, those B.JJ guys run from hard striking the way a gremlin runs from sunlight.

ya, they have a million rationales for not going all out but the real reason is they just don't want to get hit. you must get over that if you want to be a fighter. you'll be incomplete until then. people are more coddled today, personally, i wished i was born a hundred years ago, there was less bullshit in all walks of life, including fighting. I think it usually takes a lot of punishment to cause damage, more than this guy'll most likely ever take. The brain is a delicate thing, i knew a guy who got into one streetfight, he said he still had problems pronouncing certain words because of it, but he was hit by a brick. Another of my buddies got hit when he was drunk and it crushed his orbital bone, i don't think he got any brain damage though. My own dad and a cousin both had serious brain injuries from bar fights. Brain definitely has limits to the abuse it can take.

Last edited:

You're making a lot of beginner mistakes. It would take a lot of time to point them all out so instead I will say:
- keep on training
- listen to your coach
- you show a bit of promise so stay focused and positive
- stay humble when you have a bad sparring session

If you remember those things, slowly, all the things you want to iron out will go away. You won't fast track anything - there are no shortcuts in boxing.

ya, they have a million rationales for not going all out but the real reason is they just don't want to get hit. you must get over that if you want to be a fighter. you'll be incomplete until then. people are more coddled today, personally, i wished i was born a hundred years ago, there was less bullshit in all walks of life, including fighting. I think it usually takes a lot of punishment to cause damage, more than this guy'll most likely ever take. The brain is a delicate thing, i knew a guy who got into one streetfight, he said he still had problems pronouncing certain words because of it, but he was hit by a brick. Another of my buddies got hit when he was drunk and it crushed his orbital bone, i don't think he got any brain damage though. My own dad and a cousin both had serious brain injuries from bar fights. Brain definitely has limits to the abuse it can take.

Less bullshit? I dunno bro. I say no, my friend, I say "different bullshit". We always look back and romaticize a past that does the same thing about the 100 years before its own time. There was a whole heap of different bullshit back then. Namely, in 1917, dying for a kilometre of mud on a hill so unimportant it gets a number - not even its own name. In a 100 years they'll romanticize how rugged we are while we have been complaining about low internet signals. It's all relative.

Less bullshit? I dunno bro. I say no, my friend, I say "different bullshit". We always look back and romaticize a past that does the same thing about the 100 years before its own time. There was a whole heap of different bullshit back then. Namely, in 1917, dying for a kilometre of mud on a hill so unimportant it gets a number - not even its own name. In a 100 years they'll romanticize how rugged we are while we have been complaining about low internet signals. It's all relative.
i guess i shoulda been more specific, i think it would have been more easy to fight back then, for me. Think about it, you just show up and just want to fight, no one asks you any questions, they don't give you any excuses about getting hurt because they aren't as pussified as we are, you just get it on. Like Dempsey who learned his craft in the streets where you either in his words fight or run like hell. whole different world so some guys fought for cash, because you could actually starve to death back then, Dempsey survived by living in railcars where he had to fight off homeless gay guys who wanted some of the mannassa mauler bootie, no one else to look out for him but him.

Back