Sparring ycm 3

YoungCashMoney

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
3rd time in the ring since being cleared..

First guy was talking some stupid stuff, unsure why he was so confident, respect to that he also had a very awkward defense.

Second guy was some good work! Any tips on how I should jab with him? Same with the first guy, with constant movement how do I establish a good stiff jab with them? Of course I have a good idea on how to, but anything you guys can see that I am not doing to establish my jab? Thanks for the critique!

Wasn't gonna upload the first round because there wasn't much done but maybe it will help.

Thanks all who contribute! Still haven't worked with my coach or a coach in years Lol yall are my coach.

The thing I have noticed with your videos is that you are very athletic. But your ability to stun people plays against you because it feels like you have 0 patience when it comes to wanting to inflict damage. You want to hurt the guy right away and throw every shot with bad intentions. You are literally treating each round like a 1 round fight instead of slowly breaking down your opponent over the course of 3-10 rounds.(Regardless of if you are switching guys each round)

1st guy was playing defense the whole time, offense wasn't even a factor.
-When a guy is only defending, it's extremely hard to open up anything significant. So before you start throwing wild, close the range. Walk him down and feint him back into the corner. When he's finally done moving and overreacting to your feints/non commital jab, then you hit him with a hard shot when he's at the end of his bob/duck/weave. (Learning when to throw and when not to)
-Work the body. And by body I don't mean his stomach. Hit his chest or arms, not to hurt him, but to stifle him and get him thinking about other attacks besides wild shots to his head.

I don't really see anything wrong with you technique or skills, because it's much better than mine. But I can see your approach and lack of fight experience when you're just trying to brawl and swing like that. You are whiffing the majority of your shots, badly.

I feel like you do way too much hard sparring. I know a lot of training partners who are very dangerous like you, but they try to hurt the other guy with every shot because that's how they learned to train and spar. It gets them really good really fast but they quickly plateau imo.

My opinion would be to find somebody who can give you light work, so you can try out different tactics and strategies. You will find that not every sparring session is a fight and that's it's completely ok to get close to your training partner and work the closer range because he won't be trying to kill you and vice versa.

You and your opponents punch count is extremely low and there is huge periods of inactivity because both of you are swinging to win.

Real work is more punches you throw and more punches get thrown your way. Not two guys throwing and whiffing counters by a mile. Just because you managed to hurt the 2nd guy with 5 punches you landed out of 20 missed by a mile isn't a good thing.

You're really good and very dangerous. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
It seems like you hesitate to get close. You are not at jabbing range most of the time and once you enter it and throw a jab
you immediately get away again.

Maybe trying to stay at punching range more and double and triple jab while moving laterally or changing levels would help you to establish your jab more and open up more
offensive possibilities.

That's my two cents. I am a fan of the sport and not a boxer so I don't know how much of help my obsservation will be to you.

First guy didn't pose much danger. Feinting your jab more and getting him to react, and then put the shots together would have helped. As Biscuit said, you're a bit too eager and to get off balanced when throwing some of your shots. It depends on what you want to do as well. If you want to walk someone down, feint more and make him react, and use the jab to the body as well. He had a lot of head movement, so it was an easier target.

You are clearly pretty comfortable against the ropes, but again, learning to walk someone down and putting yourself in a good position is probably the key thing here. When you go in, your feet at lined up at times and you get a little off balance, like at the jab at 0:11. How comfortable are you moving to your own right btw? Seems you only move left, which makes sense as your stance is sideways, your back foot is very turned out and your feet are narrow.

I think the most important thing is to work on getting yourself in good position and cutting corners or taking angles more methodically. Using your jab more and feinting more, setting up shots without trying to make each one a finisher. You like the shell and low lead hand. Maybe try cutting off more space and having a few options to move to your right side, and using your jab actively while doing it, while having the shell ready. Not to change your style necessarily or anything, just to have more options.

Btw, most dangerous thing right now is that you drop your hands when in midrange and throwing hooks, as we talked about. At 4:50 you paid for it. I know you went to the body so there is a natural opening, but it's a tendency you do.

The first fight was really frustrating for me to watch. You keep letting him circle away. Then you're circling with him. I would like to see you cut him off and corner him.

He also ducks the same way everytime you jab him. So fake jab and lead uppercut.

Not much to say about the second fight. I agree with the guys who said you back up too much and every shot is filled with bad intention. I wonder if you also make a face before you punch. Throw more feints to setup your shots.

The thing I have noticed with your videos is that you are very athletic. But your ability to stun people plays against you because it feels like you have 0 patience when it comes to wanting to inflict damage. You want to hurt the guy right away and throw every shot with bad intentions. You are literally treating each round like a 1 round fight instead of slowly breaking down your opponent over the course of 3-10 rounds.(Regardless of if you are switching guys each round)

1st guy was playing defense the whole time, offense wasn't even a factor.
-When a guy is only defending, it's extremely hard to open up anything significant. So before you start throwing wild, close the range. Walk him down and feint him back into the corner. When he's finally done moving and overreacting to your feints/non commital jab, then you hit him with a hard shot when he's at the end of his bob/duck/weave. (Learning when to throw and when not to)
-Work the body. And by body I don't mean his stomach. Hit his chest or arms, not to hurt him, but to stifle him and get him thinking about other attacks besides wild shots to his head.

I don't really see anything wrong with you technique or skills, because it's much better than mine. But I can see your approach and lack of fight experience when you're just trying to brawl and swing like that. You are whiffing the majority of your shots, badly.

I feel like you do way too much hard sparring. I know a lot of training partners who are very dangerous like you, but they try to hurt the other guy with every shot because that's how they learned to train and spar. It gets them really good really fast but they quickly plateau imo.

My opinion would be to find somebody who can give you light work, so you can try out different tactics and strategies. You will find that not every sparring session is a fight and that's it's completely ok to get close to your training partner and work the closer range because he won't be trying to kill you and vice versa.

You and your opponents punch count is extremely low and there is huge periods of inactivity because both of you are swinging to win.

Real work is more punches you throw and more punches get thrown your way. Not two guys throwing and whiffing counters by a mile. Just because you managed to hurt the 2nd guy with 5 punches you landed out of 20 missed by a mile isn't a good thing.

You're really good and very dangerous. Keep up the good work.

I agree with all of your points, the first point about my ability to hurt the people I'm in there with is a big one. But it is one of those things that I am aware of, and try to consciously remember to work on being patient and not relying on power, but can't fix. It bugs the hell out of me, especially when I take unnecessary shots because of my impatience. There is no easy fix for that one for me tho, because the moment I see how they react once I can catch them clean, I get tunnel vision and the only thing in my mind is : land the straight right hand, all defensive skills leave my head and I'm left with just my offensive ones until I get reminded that this is boxing, and I need to box smart.

First guy appeared to be scared before I even did anything, even tho he badly wanted to box with me. I should have done it more often and sooner, but I did indeed put him in the corner, feinted him with a jab to the body and caught him with the right hand up top which was all she wrote.

My punch count is very low, I need to start working my combinations much better and establishing my jab, I'm aware of that. My gas tank is not all that tho because even tho I go in to spar once a week, thats the extent of my training for the most part, I'm not training right now because I got a lot of personal issues I still need to deal with. That is why I only do 3 rounds, not training my body.

Thing is, people that will give me light work will get hit by my light shots and say I'm hitting them hard, which is just not true (speed is power, just quick shots). Then they will try to swing hard, and then I will actually hit them hard. Light sparring session over and back to hard sparring lol

ycm sparring 4 you will see that I seriously took ur advice and worked on it, I will throw much more punches and I won't get impatient (I hope).

First guy didn't pose much danger. Feinting your jab more and getting him to react, and then put the shots together would have helped. As Biscuit said, you're a bit too eager and to get off balanced when throwing some of your shots. It depends on what you want to do as well. If you want to walk someone down, feint more and make him react, and use the jab to the body as well. He had a lot of head movement, so it was an easier target.

You are clearly pretty comfortable against the ropes, but again, learning to walk someone down and putting yourself in a good position is probably the key thing here. When you go in, your feet at lined up at times and you get a little off balance, like at the jab at 0:11. How comfortable are you moving to your own right btw? Seems you only move left, which makes sense as your stance is sideways, your back foot is very turned out and your feet are narrow.

I think the most important thing is to work on getting yourself in good position and cutting corners or taking angles more methodically. Using your jab more and feinting more, setting up shots without trying to make each one a finisher. You like the shell and low lead hand. Maybe try cutting off more space and having a few options to move to your right side, and using your jab actively while doing it, while having the shell ready. Not to change your style necessarily or anything, just to have more options.

Btw, most dangerous thing right now is that you drop your hands when in midrange and throwing hooks, as we talked about. At 4:50 you paid for it. I know you went to the body so there is a natural opening, but it's a tendency you do.

Yep another huge mistake, going to continue to try and be consciously aware of it. Definitely need to learn to cut the ring & need to work on my balance as u said. I'm very comfortable moving to my right, I just move to my left constantly to set up my right hand to the body/head. I definitely should switch it up though. Be nice if I had someone there to tell me these things lol. I did do that with the first guy! He was moving so damn much that I figured I'm just going to watch him and let him get tired, once I realized he was going to constantly dip low and do that I started to feint and land big shots, the first right hand I landed when he was on the ropes if u noticed was off a feint, he slipped to the left and I stuck him. The left hook to the body before I stopped him was actually meant to be for the head, I saw every time I'd feint he would dip over there so I chucked my hook in that direction. Then the finish was a feint down low come over the top and it sealed the deal. Agree 100% about cutting the ring though & movement. I definitely need to stop throwing every shot hard and use set up punches for sure.

The first fight was really frustrating for me to watch. You keep letting him circle away. Then you're circling with him. I would like to see you cut him off and corner him.

He also ducks the same way everytime you jab him. So fake jab and lead uppercut.

Not much to say about the second fight. I agree with the guys who said you back up too much and every shot is filled with bad intention. I wonder if you also make a face before you punch. Throw more feints to setup your shots.

I keep the same face 24/7, I don't box with any kind of emotion shown like some people. hit me with a big shot? no change, I could be wobbled and out and most likely they wouldn't even really know, because I'll have the same blank stare at them.

The hook to the body before the right hand that hurt him was supposed to be that lead uppercut ur looking for, I noticed where he was moving and intended for that shot to be to the head. He talked this big game and came in scared, and I knew when I hit him with a right hand to the body (it hit his arm but I still had pop on it of course), his face changed and he yelled "woo", and then my impatience kicks in because I become aware he is afraid of the punches, like a killer instinct I guess, just need to be much more smart with it.

Cutting the ring is something I badly badly badly need with the style I'm using right now. If you have followed me through my training in the past, one thing that sticks out I'm sure u'll notice is that I box nothing the way I used to, I never needed to cut the ring before. I need to get back to the good things I used to do - pull counters, set up punches, smart boxing. I don't know if its the testosterone being normal or what, but I get a reckless seek and destroy attitude at times, and causes me to do stupid shit like walking into the first guys 2 right hand counters, if he was a bigger puncher maybe he could put me out, so a mistake I really can't afford to make. Same with sano's point about getting countered with the hook cuz my rear hand is down - bigger punchers could really make me pay for that kind of stuff.

I will work on all of those things next week, thank you guys. I'm not training regularly right now so my cardio is very bad, but one thing I do know and am confident of is that (I weigh 132-135 right now), as long as I am punching, guys my weight typically they don't want to punch back. If I can get up my output up to a 24/7 100 punch a round ratio, being defensively responsible, I should be a serious force to be reckoned with. Need to get on Pacquiao level of output and swarm, but of course easier said than done when using an all time great as an example.

Next week I will aim to throw at least 60 punches a round even if it kills me because I have no gas tank lol

Seriously though, all u guys are making 100% valid points that I agree with, thank you.

Also, need to keep my head off center when jabbing!! I realized thats why I have issues establishing my jab with people, is when I jab, I'm right there to be counter jabbed.

I agree with all of your points, the first point about my ability to hurt the people I'm in there with is a big one. But it is one of those things that I am aware of, and try to consciously remember to work on being patient and not relying on power, but can't fix. It bugs the hell out of me, especially when I take unnecessary shots because of my impatience. There is no easy fix for that one for me tho, because the moment I see how they react once I can catch them clean, I get tunnel vision and the only thing in my mind is : land the straight right hand, all defensive skills leave my head and I'm left with just my offensive ones until I get reminded that this is boxing, and I need to box smart.

First guy appeared to be scared before I even did anything, even tho he badly wanted to box with me. I should have done it more often and sooner, but I did indeed put him in the corner, feinted him with a jab to the body and caught him with the right hand up top which was all she wrote.

My punch count is very low, I need to start working my combinations much better and establishing my jab, I'm aware of that. My gas tank is not all that tho because even tho I go in to spar once a week, thats the extent of my training for the most part, I'm not training right now because I got a lot of personal issues I still need to deal with. That is why I only do 3 rounds, not training my body.

Thing is, people that will give me light work will get hit by my light shots and say I'm hitting them hard, which is just not true (speed is power, just quick shots). Then they will try to swing hard, and then I will actually hit them hard. Light sparring session over and back to hard sparring lol

ycm sparring 4 you will see that I seriously took ur advice and worked on it, I will throw much more punches and I won't get impatient (I hope).

Yep another huge mistake, going to continue to try and be consciously aware of it. Definitely need to learn to cut the ring & need to work on my balance as u said. I'm very comfortable moving to my right, I just move to my left constantly to set up my right hand to the body/head. I definitely should switch it up though. Be nice if I had someone there to tell me these things lol. I did do that with the first guy! He was moving so damn much that I figured I'm just going to watch him and let him get tired, once I realized he was going to constantly dip low and do that I started to feint and land big shots, the first right hand I landed when he was on the ropes if u noticed was off a feint, he slipped to the left and I stuck him. The left hook to the body before I stopped him was actually meant to be for the head, I saw every time I'd feint he would dip over there so I chucked my hook in that direction. Then the finish was a feint down low come over the top and it sealed the deal. Agree 100% about cutting the ring though & movement. I definitely need to stop throwing every shot hard and use set up punches for sure.

I keep the same face 24/7, I don't box with any kind of emotion shown like some people. hit me with a big shot? no change, I could be wobbled and out and most likely they wouldn't even really know, because I'll have the same blank stare at them.

The hook to the body before the right hand that hurt him was supposed to be that lead uppercut ur looking for, I noticed where he was moving and intended for that shot to be to the head. He talked this big game and came in scared, and I knew when I hit him with a right hand to the body (it hit his arm but I still had pop on it of course), his face changed and he yelled "woo", and then my impatience kicks in because I become aware he is afraid of the punches, like a killer instinct I guess, just need to be much more smart with it.

Cutting the ring is something I badly badly badly need with the style I'm using right now. If you have followed me through my training in the past, one thing that sticks out I'm sure u'll notice is that I box nothing the way I used to, I never needed to cut the ring before. I need to get back to the good things I used to do - pull counters, set up punches, smart boxing. I don't know if its the testosterone being normal or what, but I get a reckless seek and destroy attitude at times, and causes me to do stupid shit like walking into the first guys 2 right hand counters, if he was a bigger puncher maybe he could put me out, so a mistake I really can't afford to make. Same with sano's point about getting countered with the hook cuz my rear hand is down - bigger punchers could really make me pay for that kind of stuff.

I will work on all of those things next week, thank you guys. I'm not training regularly right now so my cardio is very bad, but one thing I do know and am confident of is that (I weigh 132-135 right now), as long as I am punching, guys my weight typically they don't want to punch back. If I can get up my output up to a 24/7 100 punch a round ratio, being defensively responsible, I should be a serious force to be reckoned with. Need to get on Pacquiao level of output and swarm, but of course easier said than done when using an all time great as an example.

Next week I will aim to throw at least 60 punches a round even if it kills me because I have no gas tank lol

Seriously though, all u guys are making 100% valid points that I agree with, thank you.

Also, need to keep my head off center when jabbing!! I realized thats why I have issues establishing my jab with people, is when I jab, I'm right there to be counter jabbed.
That's the thing, it's very tough to throw fast and with pop, being as athletic as you are and trained as you are, without hurting guys. Even if you're not trying to. If you could find a way not to let that be your crutch as much and work on the things you mentioned you might benefit more long term. Sparring partners might also not fold, and give you more stuff to work with.

What's your plan on the coaching situation?

That's the thing, it's very tough to throw fast and with pop, being as athletic as you are and trained as you are, without hurting guys. Even if you're not trying to. If you could find a way not to let that be your crutch as much and work on the things you mentioned you might benefit more long term. Sparring partners might also not fold, and give you more stuff to work with.

What's your plan on the coaching situation?

I am incredibly loyal to Floyd Sr., I still talk to him semi-regularly and he is very excited about me coming back to train, and that just blows my mind. Man has one of the all time greats as one of his pupils, is a super millionaire, and he still cares about me and my boxing. Crazy. I would expect him to not give a damn about me especially with how he is to some people he trains with all the set backs but he is always there willing & wanting to train me. So for the coaching situation : I have a lot of personal stuff I'm dealing with at the moment, not sure when they will clear up but when they do and I start preparing to be competitive in fights again, I will be living back in Vegas training under him. For right now I'm just staying a little busy every week for fun. Until then, y'all are my coach.

It is very tough ur right, and what sucks is, if I slow things down, I literally get everything thrown off and guys will start trying to take advantage, so I'm forced to throw with the technique I've been taught to throw, and all of the sudden its too hard. I'm going to make it work tho, I will control my speed/power with my sparring partners. I just need to not get that pay back attitude when I land a nice jab and all the sudden they want to try to kill me cuz they think I'm trying to kill them.

You need to pull your punches if you go against someone you trust. A jab thrown fast but let go is still a hard punch and it can snap your head back.

My main training partner says the same thing about how he just throws with speed but he's not pulling his punch and he's never learned how to, so everyone on the fight team goes 100% against him every time while we all go 50-70% with each other.
He comes from a boxing background and every sparring he's ever had has been wars. His accuracy is pretty low too but he stuns people when he hits them. He's also the least experienced kid on the team. Reminds me a lot of you.

He also accumulates a lot of brain damage because we 'move around' quite often. It's supposed to be light but he tries his best to win every sparring session

You need to pull your punches if you go against someone you trust. A jab thrown fast but let go is still a hard punch and it can snap your head back.

My main training partner says the same thing about how he just throws with speed but he's not pulling his punch and he's never learned how to, so everyone on the fight team goes 100% against him every time while we all go 50-70% with each other.
He comes from a boxing background and every sparring he's ever had has been wars. His accuracy is pretty low too but he stuns people when he hits them. He's also the least experienced kid on the team. Reminds me a lot of you.

He also accumulates a lot of brain damage because we 'move around' quite often. It's supposed to be light but he tries his best to win every sparring session

If its someone I trust, I can try, but its seriously easier said than done. I've been taught to punch through the target, pulling punches takes away from my core technique and actually disrupts the rhythm of my whole game/combinations. When I do take it super light, I have guys that try and take advantage like I said - and I get hit way more than I do with just hitting them back with some pop to back up off me, its lowers my opponents punch output because they need to be aware they cannot just rush in and throw, and I won't practice that way, in a real fight with the little gloves they would not rush in and throw at me, because the punches that stun/drop in sparring will ko them with the smaller gloves.

It is probably in my best interest to find a middle ground tho, but its simple in sparring for me, if I catch the vibe that u want to "beat" me or "win", I'll take u up on that, if I catch the vibe that its going to be some good work, then I'll take em up on that too. The second guy I sparred the next 2 rounds with is someone I was trying to work with and not just beat up, thats why I backed off a lot of the time. Regardless tho, I am always working on something, thats always goal #1.

I'm also aware punching power is just a weird thing. There are guys that will pull their punches it seems, yet they still hit hard as a truck, then theres guys that will try and kill you, and seem to have pillows for hands. So the head trauma is all a gamble anyway, never know when ur going in there with a Lucas matthysse type guy.

When the time comes that I do get competitive again and start competing and taking boxing seriously, it will benefit me that I spar with the same mechanics I would fight with. Especially because low contact gives false confidence, if my opponent is sparring 40-60% with guys who don't know how to put leverage in their punches already, they are probably going to go in there, run into a right hand and get hurt. If they are used to it, they will be cautious.

Look at guys like Naoya Inoue, I almost guarantee he hits twice as hard as I do and he's a 115 lber, I'm guessing him pulling his punches would still hurt like a mf, and then of course u would want to go 100% cuz of whats being spit back at u, when really he's only going 60%. Although random though, Nagoya Inoue does try to murder his sparring partners lol

If someone thinks you're trying to kill them, just jab them to death. They can't complain you're going too hard if you're only (or mostly only) doing jabs, plus it's a really good exercise to sharpen you up, and it doesn't hurt your game at all.

it is in your best bet to find a middle ground, even if they are trying to win; your goal is to improve, sharpen your tools, improve your awareness, esp your situational awareness.

you can't do that if your always trying to win or finiish; im not saying let people walk over you or "beat" you, but your victory is in improving, and testing different aspects of your skills, different tech, different situations.

u cant do that if your opening up all the time or outclassing everyone, all that is preparing you to outclass and dominate; an at some point you wont be able to do that, your sparring..even informal sparring needs to get you ready for that.

u already KNOW u can crack, u can flash fast hands, u cant take shots, etc etc38794583

ex-i have three girls, all play ball at high level; one is an exceptional athletic talent...fast...explosive...body control..balance..etc etc.

cus of her speed..quickness she just blows past people, and never really works on various setups...i.e creating space..better ball handling..shooting off the dribble..shooting period...

she has recently had a few games ( i am coaching h/s jv/freshman team in fall basketball leagues and tourneys) vs people who can handle her speed, she got extremely frustrated...had alot of problems offensively..now she came back and won her matchup (defensively), which heleped us win the game. But it was alot more difficult for her than it should have been, IF she had a better all round game and stopped being so used to her ability carrying her she wldnt have had as much problems; that would also make her much more efficient in games vs lesser athletic talent.

she understands the game, but still leans alot on her physical tools; my other two arent as gifted, but are much more balanced players cus they focus more on the skills..and don't have the cheat code of top end athleticism.

i could see u having similar problems if your not mindful of how u spar, what u emphasize and what constitutes a win...

not an insult to you...just a diff perspective...

sidenote this is also what i tell pros who contact me for help, gameplanning, strategy, etc etc...

Just my 2 Cents worth.

You are obviously very gifted, you just get this and it shows.

But as others have said a low output and reliance on big shots means you might be winning sparring rounds against guys of this calibre but when you get to a good level whether professional or amateur. Everyone is fast. Everyone is tough. Everyone is athletic. So you've got to have the little things.

When you spar try and focus in applying one skill or setting things up off one shot or set up. That way you aren't relying on hurting guys. It has nothing to do with being "nice" this is boxing not tennis. But you should be trying to learn in sparring not just winning especially against people like the first guy who aren't on your level.

When it comes to the jab I'm no expert but it looks to me like you're sort of just chucking it out there to gauge for the cross. Try a round of double jabs skip jabs and feints really focusing on landing a good solid hard jab on it's own. That way you can start to pick guys apart while spending less energy. If someone is loading up to hit you hard and you flatten his nose with a sharp jab every time it's less risky than loading up and slugging back.

Again just my observation. Cheers for sharing with us and keep us updated

It's a small thing, but ask someone on the side to work a punch counter for
You. Shoot for 100+ punches in a 2 minute round to help work on keeping busy and keeping your power/intensity down.

Just knowing someone is keeping track of your punch count will help you throw more. With your athleticism and reaction speed you'd be a monster with a high volume style.

All you gotta do to jab with the taller guy is be willing to get closer. He extends his left hand a bit. You can catch or gauge it with your right hand and jab him from underneath. Or use the body jab to set up the head jab once you know where he is. You're just consistently too far away to establish your jab consistently.

Why do you head chase that much?
I also noticed some distance management problems you have.
You also very often open up with leap hook or some weird lead jab.

Get your guard up and step up. Get hit with the jab on the guard and then counter if you have to. But imo the most you can get from is if you learn to close distance, cut corners and open with different attacks. Watch Sano for example - he has a killer cross opener. For your style some double jabs or body jab should do wonders.

Is the first guy the one who talked all that shit about knocking you out? If so his performance was more disappointing than premature ejaculation(so I'm told)
Personally the thing that limited you in that was you appeared to have far too much respect for him and too much distance allowing him to see the punches coming. He appeared allusive because you were for the most part not taking it to him and reaching from too far back.

For me you're reaching a little(lot) and you're overextending esp. after the right which generally sweeps on left potentially exposing your chin for a counter. Maybe its because you're sensible and like to keep opponents at a sensible, polite distance but this touches on why people are mentioning your distance management. You can't always have the best of both worlds and if you believe in your talent a bit more you'll see it won't matter if they can hit you as you're already got a glove in their face and they can't anyway.

Others touched on it you have a bad habit of dropping your right hand on the lead left hook. A bit of loyalty isn't a bad thing mate, respect your coach and if you're sticking with him make sure you stick with him fully. He'll have a plan in mind for you and for that to happen you need to do as he says. I for one believe if hes good enough to call coach he's good enough to stick with. Maybe after years and your performance has stopped progressing and you're losing consider another coach but he has a wealth of knowledge and by taking a second coach you're slapping him in the face.

Can you PM me the next one you post as I don't want to miss it and its awesome to see a young talented guy having a go and posting it.

Is the first guy the one who talked all that shit about knocking you out? If so his performance was more disappointing than premature ejaculation(so I'm told)
Personally the thing that limited you in that was you appeared to have far too much respect for him and too much distance allowing him to see the punches coming. He appeared allusive because you were for the most part not taking it to him and reaching from too far back.

For me you're reaching a little(lot) and you're overextending esp. after the right which generally sweeps on left potentially exposing your chin for a counter. Maybe its because you're sensible and like to keep opponents at a sensible, polite distance but this touches on why people are mentioning your distance management. You can't always have the best of both worlds and if you believe in your talent a bit more you'll see it won't matter if they can hit you as you're already got a glove in their face and they can't anyway.

Others touched on it you have a bad habit of dropping your right hand on the lead left hook. A bit of loyalty isn't a bad thing mate, respect your coach and if you're sticking with him make sure you stick with him fully. He'll have a plan in mind for you and for that to happen you need to do as he says. I for one believe if hes good enough to call coach he's good enough to stick with. Maybe after years and your performance has stopped progressing and you're losing consider another coach but he has a wealth of knowledge and by taking a second coach you're slapping him in the face.

Can you PM me the next one you post as I don't want to miss it and its awesome to see a young talented guy having a go and posting it.

Yeah he's just dumb though, he was saying he thinks he can drop me to specific, his coach told me he was a puncher and with his confidence I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and seeing what he could do, I didn't expect to only box him for less than 2 minutes, expected to get a few rounds with him. I threw a right hand at his body and you can hear him yell "Woo!", When he did that I knew he was surprised by my own power and it wasn't going to take much to have him start doubting himself. Obviously the first right hand I ended up landing clean did the job on him, so much for dropping me. He was begging to continue tho and was mad afterwards saying he's coming in next week to box me, and a little wobble is no reason to stop ect ect (it is just sparring, I think it is right for his coach to pull him out, a wobble like that is generally a concussion when it was only the ropes holding him up for a few seconds). After seeing that, I realized he is actually just dumb and actually believes in his ego lol. There was no humbling that went on.

Now aware of and working on all the things mentioned, I have not dove back into boxing fully yet because of some issues I need to handle first, so I have yet to return to my coach for instruction hence why I may look extra rusty, its been years since I've had someone throw back at me lol, but I've maintained shadowboxing so I've grown bad habits of keeping my hands low. You guys are the extra eye watching me and that is it, no one else is giving me instruction in the corner/the gym. I really feel like I look terrible from how I was, and that my talent is what is getting me by more so than skill which only takes you so far. The right hand to my chin is a basic yet very important one though, many a fighter has gone down from not having it up while hooking, so that is priority #1 for me. Didn't go to the gym yesterday because I've caught a bit of a bad cold, will go in next week and ycm sparring 4 will come around.

Thank you for the advice!

Yeah he's just dumb though, he was saying he thinks he can drop me to specific, his coach told me he was a puncher and with his confidence I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and seeing what he could do, I didn't expect to only box him for less than 2 minutes, expected to get a few rounds with him. I threw a right hand at his body and you can hear him yell "Woo!", When he did that I knew he was surprised by my own power and it wasn't going to take much to have him start doubting himself. Obviously the first right hand I ended up landing clean did the job on him, so much for dropping me. He was begging to continue tho and was mad afterwards saying he's coming in next week to box me, and a little wobble is no reason to stop ect ect (it is just sparring, I think it is right for his coach to pull him out, a wobble like that is generally a concussion when it was only the ropes holding him up for a few seconds). After seeing that, I realized he is actually just dumb and actually believes in his ego lol. There was no humbling that went on.

Now aware of and working on all the things mentioned, I have not dove back into boxing fully yet because of some issues I need to handle first, so I have yet to return to my coach for instruction hence why I may look extra rusty, its been years since I've had someone throw back at me lol, but I've maintained shadowboxing so I've grown bad habits of keeping my hands low. You guys are the extra eye watching me and that is it, no one else is giving me instruction in the corner/the gym. I really feel like I look terrible from how I was, and that my talent is what is getting me by more so than skill which only takes you so far. The right hand to my chin is a basic yet very important one though, many a fighter has gone down from not having it up while hooking, so that is priority #1 for me. Didn't go to the gym yesterday because I've caught a bit of a bad cold, will go in next week and ycm sparring 4 will come around.

Thank you for the advice!

No thank you, you're making me feel like training instead of drinking piss and getting old and fat. Don't know how valuable my advice is, it's only my opinion.

If you ever come to Australia I have a mate who's got a gym in WA that would love to get a hold on you. Getting guys willing to spare won't be a problem there as there's not a huge group but they spar you how you wont them to. You want a hard spar they're keen but if you want to work something they'll help out.

Genuine offer if you travel in the future just pm me, he's in western Australia and is a genuinely good, caring guy which I've found rarer in boxing than other fight disapplines.

Just remember your health should always come first. When you're young tomorrow seems like forever but it arrives quicker than you realise and there's a toll to be payed for everything.

Back