Sparring Question

peregrine

Kahuna Dog
@Brown
Reaction score
What Questions do you ask yourself as you are Sparring?
Training?
Learning?
Watching Videos?

How do you use and answer those questions?

what the fuck is happening right now?!

Training?

What the fuck am I doing wrong?

Learning?
how the hell does that work?

Watching Videos?

What the fuck is that video with a badger in the sidebar about?!

IMO; trying to force questions into things is a bad approach. The best questions happen naturally, and aren't contrived.

How many years of grappling training do you have?

since 2004, with a period of break in there. Purple belt in bjj, 1-2 years of wrestling, bit of judo.

My grappling is pretty lazy TBH. I tend to give up on stuff rather than try to impose a game. If I do well, its because I can chain things together or cause scrambles when I'm ready and the other person isnt.

Pretty much the only methodical part of my game is my smash passing and (perhaps) 50-50 (because I don't have to play any strength games with the other person unless I want too)

Training?
Learning?
Watching Videos?

Sparring: I just count points and look at the clock. Spar accordingly to the level of my training partner.

Training: I don't really train that much. I just teach Bjj. I will roll when the mats are a bit empty. If they are full. I just watch and give feedback. I really feel guilty if I just roll while I am being paid to teach. The worst part is that I don't really enjoy rolling with people that are not my students as well. I know that my body takes longer to recover as I am getting older and I don't like wasting my rolling time with someone else students. Just plain. Weird.

Learning: keep an open mind and try to understand the mechanic.

Watching videos: see if it is something that is not bs. If it is something that interest me, I will make a mental note to try it on the mats

Training?
Learning?
Watching Videos?
I don’t have time to ask questions when I’m sparring or training. I’m trying to get my mind and body trained for reflex action/reaction. Concentrating on my opponent. You should not be thinking when you are sparring, only reacting. Yeah, you can think all you want when watching others sparrow, watching videos, or reading.

Back